Am I the only one that is unimpressed with SWGE - where is the juice?

This has a tendency to backfire. It happened to Walt himself when he tried that tactic on the original fantasyland dark rides at Disneyland. You were supposed to BE Snow White, Alice, and Peter Pan, riding through your adventures. But guests didn't "get it" and kept asking where the characters were in their own rides. Eventually, they had to redo the rides and add the characters,

People want to SEE and interact with their favorites, not be them.

It's ridiculous that the only R2D2 in SWGE is a $25000 droid for sale that you can't get too close to in the droid shop.

It's also ridiculous that you ride the Millenuim Falcon and the animatronic welcoming you to the ride is some rando from Clone Wars. That isn't who most people associate with the Falcon.

Except a)This is a new world that we are not familiar with & us as NEW characters (not existing ones) and therefore isn't beholden to the same confusion as wondering where characters are in their world b)have the info about this land at our fingertips and so again is not subject to the aforementioned confused c)Hondo is not some rando from Clone Wars. He's a rando from Clone Wars and Rebels.

I think this land could have been SO good. I don't think it is, as it stands currently. Even when the other ride opens, it won't change that the LAND itself needs some serious help. I will not be surprised to see some retheming eventually. They have not yet begun to survey people about this land. I'm sure we will be seeing that soon, especially if the attendance numbers dip for a second quarter.

The nature of the land lends itself to retheming, though. After the sequel trilogy is finished, and they move on to other eras, they could change the timeframe while remaining on Batuu. I think that makes the nature of the land brilliant.

Also, there is a non-zero chance Batuu is at least mentioned (if not depicted entirely) in Episode IX.

Except a)This is a new world that we are not familiar with & us as NEW characters (not existing ones) and therefore isn't beholden to the same confusion as wondering where characters are in their world b)have the info about this land at our fingertips and so again is not subject to the aforementioned confused c)Hondo is not some rando from Clone Wars. He's a rando from Clone Wars and Rebels.

Ok, well, tell that to my MIL who went to the land expecting to see her favorite droid R2D2 and Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker. THAT was what she was expecting. She was the mom to 2 Star Wars obsessed boys in the 80s. She was completely confused. And she has seen the new movies but really was not expecting the land to be on the new trilogy timeline. Is that MY fault for not explaining it to her ahead of time? Or is that DISNEY'S fault for misfiring on the theme of the land?

When you say Star Wars to any random person on the street, and ask what is the first thing that comes to mind, there is NO WAY that the majority says "Kylo Ren" "Hondo Onaka" (sp?) or "First Order Troopers." It's just not what people associate with the franchise. Did Disney forget about the concept of focus groups or market research? Maybe they should have utilized these things in the development of such a major land that they KNEW had some huge expectations. Instead, we got a really good real world example of what the word "hubris" means.

Ok, well, tell that to my MIL who went to the land expecting to see her favorite droid R2D2 and Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker. THAT was what she was expecting. She was the mom to 2 Star Wars obsessed boys in the 80s. She was completely confused. And she has seen the new movies but really was not expecting the land to be on the new trilogy timeline. Is that MY fault for not explaining it to her ahead of time? Or is that DISNEY'S fault for misfiring on the theme of the land?

When you say Star Wars to any random person on the street, and ask what is the first thing that comes to mind, there is NO WAY that the majority says "Kylo Ren" "Hondo Onaka" (sp?) or "First Order Troopers." It's just not what people associate with the franchise. Did Disney forget about the concept of focus groups or market research? Maybe they should have utilized these things in the development of such a major land that they KNEW had some huge expectations. Instead, we got a really good real world example of what the word "hubris" means.
How do you know Disney didn't do focus group or market research? It's not Disney's fault that your MIL expected one thing and got another, especially when it was never advertised or mentioned that you would be getting original trilogy stuff. That doesn't make it a misfire either. This isn't a themed area representing Star Wars from the 80's.

Unlike your MIL, I did the research, paid attention to the reports, and won't be confused in December. Anyone who gets confused now brings it on themselves. And I say that from personal experience when I failed to do all the research for my first trip to Disney a couple years back.

Again, the land is different in that it's not who you get to meet but who you get to be. If you can't accept that, there's nothing else I can do but hope people like you keep the crowds down. I for one am looking forward to a new experience instead of the same old mind trick.

Last edited:
Reading this thread, I have to keep reminding myself that Galaxy's Edge isn't even officially open at Disney World yet.
Everyone is always fast to judge, some even swayed but other people. I imagine if this land had opened prior to internet and bloggers and YouTube, the reception would be very different.
Just take the land as it's presented and enjoy

Ok, well, tell that to my MIL who went to the land expecting to see her favorite droid R2D2 and Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker. THAT was what she was expecting
So she did zero research as to what GE was themed towards? Thats not Disney's fault.

And dont get me wrong i wish personally it was geared towards the original trilogy. But pretty much from the moment GE was announced it was a given it was going to be newer stuff.

this is why you have to try things FOR YOURSELF.

I'm able to get over that whoever actually made stuff didn't write or film or build what I would have preferred they did, at least until I've seen or read or tried it.

I guess I can anticipate that someone who has used the words "trash," "garbage," "Disney ruined Star Wars," or "SJWs" when referring to the new trilogy, or has never watched the animated series because "they're for children," will not appreciate SWGE no matter what, though.

Last edited:
Think that's one thing they definitely have to fix.

EDIT: just to add to this, there were plans to have droids roaming the area and that went down the tubes (temporarily?) because of liability concerns. It's something they need to figure out though.

I got very close to R2D2... Was able to walk right up to it and snap a photo. I did jump back a bit when he beeped at me.

The couple next to me bent down and took a selfie with R2D2.IMG_0843.jpg

Last edited:
So she did zero research as to what GE was themed towards? Thats not Disney's fault.

And dont get me wrong i wish personally it was geared towards the original trilogy. But pretty much from the moment GE was announced it was a given it was going to be newer stuff.

My point is simply that one should NOT have to conduct research ahead of a visit to a Star Wars land. There is a general expectation as to what it should be like, to anyone who is familiar with Star Wars. To suggest that all the millions of people who visit Disneyland and WDW are going to research and learn about Batuu BEFORE visiting is just ludicrous.

I am not taking anything away from the people who like the land. I am happy for those people. I am just curious how the land is going to perform in it's current iteration long term and it has been mentioned by several people online that the "suits" at Disney are NOT happy with the land's reception at Disneyland so far and are basically in a panic right now. After visiting the land a few times, it's abundantly clear that it's not performing as expected. It is the most sparsely populated area of the park, with wide open pathways and no lines for anything except the one ride.

I got very close to R2D2... Was able to walk right up to it and snap a photo. I did jump back a bit when he beeped at me.

The couple next to me bent down and took a selfie with R2D2.View attachment 427911
This is nice, but even better would be to see R2 out and about, possibly with C3PO but ummmm.... that's probably not possible right now, given the weather.

Here's a link about the droid situation I was talking about (scroll down a bit to find the GE part). Ideally they have not just R2, but other droids roaming around, but I totally understand their concern about people tripping over droids and getting hurt. It's possible they can add droids to some space on the land that isn't getting as much foot traffic and institute some controls to help with the liability issue, but who knows.

This is nice, but even better would be to see R2 out and about, possibly with C3PO but ummmm.... that's probably not possible right now, given the weather.

Here's a link about the droid situation I was talking about (scroll down a bit to find the GE part). Ideally they have not just R2, but other droids roaming around, but I totally understand their concern about people tripping over droids and getting hurt. It's possible they can add droids to some space on the land that isn't getting as much foot traffic and institute some controls to help with the liability issue, but who knows.
I am a huge fan of droids, during Galactic nights they had members from the droid builders clubs bring their droids and they were roaming around animation courtyard , it was very cool. I hope that they find a way to bring this aspect to fruition.

Last edited:
My point is simply that one should NOT have to conduct research ahead of a visit to a Star Wars land.

I'm sorry but it's part of Disney World and Disneyland. It should be included in any research when considering visiting that section of the park. It's your stance that's ludicrous that one shouldn't be prepared for a certain area.

Oh how I LONG for westcot. We would have been in heaven here in California with that. Anyhoo, Im very passionate as well about star wars which is why I unfortunately dwell on what COULD have been. From my own visits to Galaxys Edge, I think they did make a huge mistake from the source material they used. Floridas version will definitely be crowded because its the new hot thing (and incredibly detailed) but I don't think it will keep pulling the same people back in the way it could have. I have a hunch though. I have a feeling somewhere down the line we will hear Bob Iger (or whoever is in charge at the time) say "We hear you, the fans. We are opening up Galaxy's Edge to include ALL of the Star Wars characters you know and love. Starting on May 4th, you can meet Luke and Leia, Han and C3PO and most important of all, R2D2. We will also be adding classic missions on the Falcon that will take your breath away as you relive your fondest childhood memories with the characters you know and love. But be prepared and keep your lightsabers close. You may hear the unmistakable tune of a certain Sith Lord and as you turn the corner on the streets of Baatu, and run into lord vader standing between you and the millennium falcon. We can't wait for you to live the adventures that have been part of our lives for generations with your friends and family and join us on May 4th. Bright suns and may the force be with you." *cue Leia's theme*

Last edited:
Oh how I LONG for westcot. We would have been in heaven here in California with that. Anyhoo, Im very passionate as well about star wars which is why I unfortunately dwell on what COULD have been. From my own visits to Galaxys Edge, I think they did make a huge mistake from the source material they used. Floridas version will definitely be crowded because its the new hot thing (and incredibly detailed) but I don't think it will keep pulling the same people back in the way it could have. I have a hunch though. I have a feeling somewhere down the line we will hear Bob Iger (or whoever is in charge at the time) say "We hear you, the fans. We are opening up Galaxy's Edge to include ALL of the Star Wars characters you know and love. Starting on May 4th, you can meet Luke and Leia, Han and C3PO and most important of all, R2D2. We will also be adding classic missions on the Falcon that will take your breath away as you relive your fondest childhood memories with the characters you know and love. But be prepared and keep your lightsabers close. You may hear the unmistakable tune of a certain Sith Lord and as you turn the corner on the streets of Baatu, and run into lord vader standing between you and the millennium falcon. We can't wait for you to live the adventures that have been part of our lives for generations with your friends and family and join us on May 4th. Bright suns and may the force be with you." *cue Leia's theme*
We had that, it was called star wars weekend. The big issue now with LucasFilm is continuity. Ever since Kathleen Kennedy took the reigns there's been a huge push for that.
I would love for SWW to come back, it's the event I miss most at wdw.

I suspect you will see something like that. But not because the land is underperforming, but because they want to keep the Star Wars presence going. I would bet that things like SWW and similar events make their way back into the parks over time with the addition of this new Star Wars area. It just all went away in preparation for all of the changes and construction going on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!