Amanda and Dave's Marathon Trip Report - Nov. 2015

Angel Ariel

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! My husband and I were the ones that the DIS Unplugged: DLR Edition podcast team helped with trip planning for our trip over the Avengers 1/2 Marathon weekend in November 2015. We had such a great experience talking with the podcast team (as well as getting advice on the DLR board - especially @Sherry E 's holiday superthread!) that we wanted to share our experience with our first ever trip report.

Life is crazy busy around our house this month (as I'm sure it is for many!), but I will try to do this as best I can without too much delay. We've been home for almost a month and I haven't even taken a look at the pictures I took yet! I'm hoping this thread will help spur me to get on it already :)

In case anyone is interested, here are the links to the shows we recorded with the podcast team:

Help! Amanda and Dave's Marathon Trip, part 1
Help! Amanda and Dave's Marathon Trip, part 2
Help! Amanda and Dave's Marathon Trip, part 3

We did go over the major highlights of the trip in part 3, but with a full week in California, there was too much to talk about to fit it all in that show! We chose to go to DLR for a few reasons, but mainly because we felt that the smaller footprint of DLR would be less overwhelming for everyone in our group. My birthday also fell during the trip, and I've loved Disneyland since I was little, so it was great to get to spend that day in DL!

Who: We had 5 in our group - DH and I, our daughter, and my parents (who hadn't been to DLR since before DCA and DTD existed!).

Photo by Danielle Ernest

DH and I had last been in 2011, and had seen World of Color then, but we hadn't seen any of Cars Land as it wasn't open yet on our last trip. Our daughter is 3 y/o and has some developmental delays (including not yet being able to walk independently), so we were touring with the Stroller as a Wheelchair tag.

When: We arrived on Friday, November 13th - the day that the holidays officially began at DLR, and also during the Avenger's 1/2 Marathon Weekend. DH ran the 1/2 Marathon on Sunday. We spent Sat/Sun in Anaheim, Mon/Tues in San Deigo, and then Wed/Thurs in Anaheim before heading back to the east coast on Friday, November 20th.

Where: We stayed at the Tropicana Inn and Suites on Harbor, as DH and I have done on past trips, and we would do it again. I will post a review later in this trip report, with pictures of our room. Preview: if you need to have a crib in the room, be aware that space could be an issue!

Transportation: We rented a car after arriving at LAX, as we also stayed overnight in San Diego, spending 1/2 a day at the San Diego Zoo, and a full day at Sea World before returning to our room at the Tropicana. Having a car was definitely the way to go on this trip, even with the parking fees at the hotel.

We had 4 full days at DLR, and it still wasn't enough time for us! We are already talking about whether or not we can head out there during the holidays next year too - whether for the Avengers race or just any other time. As much as we loved the 60th anniversary decorations, etc - it would be really nice to see the full DLR holiday decorations, winter castle and all!

I think that's the main details about our trip...I'll be back to start the day by day report soon!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter