Amazon left my package "in a secure place"!

georgina

DIS Veteran
So, I did not know Amazon has its own delivery service now. Tracking said something like AMZL US for the delivery instead of UPS or post office. When I ordered I could have driven 20 minutes to Whole Foods for 1 day delivery, or wait for 2 day to my house. When it didn't arrive by 8 PM as promised, I checked online and it said it was delivered at 7:22 and left in a secure place. It was still light out then, and as it was 78º here today our front storm door was open. So no need to hide the package, we were obviously home to receive it. I checked behind the house by the garage, checked my neighbor's porch as she is out of town, no package. I'm not pleased.

If this is the new wave of Amazon delivery, I am going to look elsewhere in the future. Planning to cancel my Prime as well, I had been thinking it was not worth what I pay for it and we don't use the movies or streaming.

This is not new at all. Amazon has been contracting out delivery for MANY years now. That particular one, though, stinks. You will likely find the package tomorrow morning at your doorstep. They like to say they delivered stuff before they actually do. If you don't get it, Amazon will resend the item free and use another delivery method. If enough people in your area complain, or submit missing package reports, Amazon will stop using that company in your area. That happened here.

My wife just got a package from Amazon today, although I'm not sure who the contractor was. Our front door is off to the side along a path for maybe 25 feet from the sidewalk. Whoever delivered it just placed it along the path instead of on our porch. Didn't ring the doorbell either.

This is not new at all. Amazon has been contracting out delivery for MANY years now. That particular one, though, stinks. You will likely find the package tomorrow morning at your doorstep. They like to say they delivered stuff before they actually do. If you don't get it, Amazon will resend the item free and use another delivery method. If enough people in your area complain, or submit missing package reports, Amazon will stop using that company in your area. That happened here.

Maybe I didn't notice because other things have arrived on time. I definitely did complain, so we'll see what happens. I did go back through some previous orders and there was one delivered by the same AMZL, with a photo of my front door with the package sitting there. And that was a $250 item. This one was only $32. So again I am left wondering where exactly that 'secure place' is they claim to have left it.

If it is small, check your mailbox. They left a package in mine once. I think he didn't feel like getting out of the truck.

Many of my packages have been delivered by Amazon drivers I've never had a problem. The only time an Amazon package hasn't been delivered was one through USPS. Amazon has great customer service, the sent me a new item the next day.

I’ve always thought they were independent people working for the service rather than regular employees. I caught one guy literally throwing my package from his car window. Scared the crap out of him when I got out of my truck (tinted windows) and asked him why he would do that. Others conceal it behind the post on my porch and text a photo of where it is. Still others who will post that it’s been delivered but it doesn’t show up until the next day. It’s never consistent. Like DLgal said, complain and they’ll take care of it.

AMZL stands for Amazon Logistics. It sounds like they're just hiring local contractors rather than doing final delivery through traditional package delivery such as UPS, FedEx, or USPS. In my region they also work with a company called OnTrac.

https://logistics.amazon.com

That is strange to not tell you where it is. Like a secret LOL! Left in a secure place, what the heck does that mean??? I would be upset too.
At lease UPS tells you where, i.e. left at front door, or left at garage.

So, I did not know Amazon has its own delivery service now. Tracking said something like AMZL US for the delivery instead of UPS or post office. When I ordered I could have driven 20 minutes to Whole Foods for 1 day delivery, or wait for 2 day to my house. When it didn't arrive by 8 PM as promised, I checked online and it said it was delivered at 7:22 and left in a secure place. It was still light out then, and as it was 78º here today our front storm door was open. So no need to hide the package, we were obviously home to receive it. I checked behind the house by the garage, checked my neighbor's porch as she is out of town, no package. I'm not pleased.

If this is the new wave of Amazon delivery, I am going to look elsewhere in the future. Planning to cancel my Prime as well, I had been thinking it was not worth what I pay for it and we don't use the movies or streaming.
This happened to us, too. I had paid extra for 2 day delivery and waited all day for the package. It was still marked as "out for delivery" at 8 pm. It wasn't on our porch when we went to bed at 10:30 pm. I checked the next morning and it said that it was delivered at 11 pm that night. It wasn't anywhere at our house the next morning so I immediately contacted Amazon and they offered to refund my money in full. I took them up on the offer and decided not to reorder the items. Two days later the package showed up on our doorstep. I had a feeling that the package was never delivered at 11 pm, since we are in a very safe neighborhood and no one would have stolen it. And it turned out that I was right.

We have a closed in front porch. We get mail delivery inside the porch, and I always request package delivery inside on the porch. Most delivery companies oblige. The Amazon deliveries are the worst. I’ve gotten heavy packages dropped in front of the porch door placed so that I couldn’t get in or out of my house. One time my DH had to leave work to move a package so I could enter my home. The most recent delivery was the most ridiculous, the box was left in a deep mound of snow. I cancelled my prime online. Then they billed me, so I had to contact Amazon customer service which was no easy feat, to cancel it for real and have the charge removed from my credit card. Never again.

Amazon deliveries here are almost exclusively via USPS. I’d say the overwhelming majority are on my front porch or in my mailbox as promised. I did have one last week that was a tad to big for the mailbox that was wedged in the adjacent planter box. Guess the substitute letter carrier didn’t want to walk up the driveway. Weird. But overall, I’m pleased. But OP, I’d be screaming at someone at Amazon over that trick. I hate being lied to.

I have a friend who delivers packages for Amazon, but his company is a British company.

I thought the new thing was to take a picture of where they left the package and send with the confirmation of delivery?

I love our local Amazon delivery guy! I guess it depends on who covers your specific area. Items are always on time, left on the couch on the front porch and doorbell rung. MUCH better service that USPS.

This happened to us, too. I had paid extra for 2 day delivery and waited all day for the package. It was still marked as "out for delivery" at 8 pm. It wasn't on our porch when we went to bed at 10:30 pm. I checked the next morning and it said that it was delivered at 11 pm that night. It wasn't anywhere at our house the next morning so I immediately contacted Amazon and they offered to refund my money in full. I took them up on the offer and decided not to reorder the items. Two days later the package showed up on our doorstep. I had a feeling that the package was never delivered at 11 pm, since we are in a very safe neighborhood and no one would have stolen it. And it turned out that I was right.

It was probably delivered to the wrong address and the person who received it took a couple days to give it to you. This happened to me and I called to say I never received the package. They re-sent the item and I received it. A few days later, the original showed up on my doorstep. Turns out it was delivered to someone down the street who was on vacation. It took them almost a week to get it to me since they were away.

Not Amazon but we got a notification that our package has been delivered (this was on Friday). Nothing has turned up yet.

For where we live and the common orientation of our driveway, door, mailbox, they’ve always done well. Hope I didn’t jinx it.

Thanks for the suggestions! I checked the mailbox, which is across the street and down the road a bit, nothing. Checked online again to see if there is a picture of where it was left, nope. I'm used to waiting a day for packages turned over to the post office, but the fact that is says left in a secure place makes me think they must have misdelivered it somewhere.

for a period of time we would find items laying ON our driveway, and since amazon likes if possible to use those all white padded envelopes to ship in if the carrier put the package upside down it would blend in w/our white concrete such that it wasn't visible until you got very close up.

we came close to running over multiple deliveries:sad2::sad2:

my pet peeve with amazon is dealing with their scripted cut and paste answering customer service reps. if I wanted the scripted answers I can click on the faq's on their site, if i'm calling or using their chat function those answers aren't appropriate to my concerns.

Amazon delivered something to our house a couple weeks back and left it "in a secure place" which was the wrong house 1 street over lol. It wasn't until several days later after they said it was delivered and left in a secure place, that the neighbor from that street dropped it off to my house. At least I have honest neighbors :upsidedow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!