Amazon Prime Day

rella's fan

DIS Veteran
I don't normally pay much attention to Amazon Prime Day but with all the online shopping this year I'm interested. Are the deals for amazon.ca just as good as the ones on amazon.com? Are there specific things I should be looking at? Just wondering if its worth the hype?

You've got to know your prices. I've seen some things "marked down", but higher than they were earlier in the year. It's just that the original price was raised. But there are also real sales, too.

Also, I've heard you are more likely to get deals from Amazon than the third party sellers.

That time limit countdown and the "how many left" countdown puts pressure on you to purchase. Be aware of that when you're shopping.

I would look at what they are advertising now and see what interests you. Then comparison shop and have that information available. Remember, while Amazon has it on sale, it might also be on sale at a local store or a competing online site (Walmart/Best Buy/Staples/London Drugs......)

One of the features of Prime Day is, as a member, you don't have to worry about the shipping price. It makes it easier to purchase.

Every single year... they have Amazon Fire tablet and Instant Pot. It's their way to clear out old inventory... I stopped looking at it since a while back.

I bought two echo dot for 50$ on during their Prime Day pre-sale. I'm hoping the Fire stick will be on sale too.

Kiddo wanted some LED lights for his room so I got him 16 ft of them? I don't know... seems weird to me but what do I know! Also got another Alexa Flex for the last room in the house without one :) now he can't ignore me no matter where he goes ha ha ha. I would have liked a couple more smart bulbs or plugs but they didn't have any spectacular deals on them, yet? Maybe still to come.

A Disney deal, but gone now. I saw the Steamboat Willie in the Lego sets on sale this morning. Went to look for it again, and it must have been a time limited offer as it is back up to regular price. That would be a fun kit to build.

A found a couple of items, but they were small items anyway. Not really worth the trouble, since they were "needs".

One item I was going to get was for an Xmas gift, but really, I don't want to be stuck with something this early that might not be right. While there are a lot of great reviews, there's also about 3 pages of 1 star reviews, so it's a tough call.

Kiddo wanted some LED lights for his room so I got him 16 ft of them? I don't know... seems weird to me but what do I know! Also got another Alexa Flex for the last room in the house without one :) now he can't ignore me no matter where he goes ha ha ha. I would have liked a couple more smart bulbs or plugs but they didn't have any spectacular deals on them, yet? Maybe still to come.

When I was in University I strung a couple strings of soft white small christmas lights [this was pre-LED days] near the ceiling in my dorm room. I really liked them. They gave a nice soft light that filled the whole room when I didn't want the brightness of the overhead light or the focus of the desk lamp.

SW

Deals don’t seem to be as good this year in general. One that I actually wanted, the LifeStraw, was advertised as half off for the duration of the event but when I went to buy it this evening it was no longer on sale and back up to regular price 🤷🏼‍♀️

Nothing really fabulous or fantastic. DD12 needs a new raincoat. I saw they had Columbia jackets on sale so I priced them against the Columbia website - they were $99 there and $73 on Prime day so that was my big purchase lol

I bought a Ring doorbell. We've been looking at getting one anyway. Also another Eero pod for the basement. Both discounted since the Evil Empire (Amazon, not the Yankees) owns them.

One item I was going to get was for an Xmas gift, but really, I don't want to be stuck with something this early that might not be right. While there are a lot of great reviews, there's also about 3 pages of 1 star reviews, so it's a tough call.
Worth noting that Amazon's Christmas returns policy started October 1st. MOST items are returnable until January 1st. To be sure I would look for items that are "fulfilled by Amazon" as I expect Marketplace items may not have as liberal a returns policy.

I bought two echo dot for 50$ on during their Prime Day pre-sale. I'm hoping the Fire stick will be on sale too.
I‘ve been watching for a 4K fire stick for dd23. They haven’t dropped in price. Only the Fire Cube has and I don’t want that. They are almost guaranteed to go on sale before Christmas so I’m waiting. If I need to be pay full price I’ll do it closer to Christmas.

We bought a ton of stuff last night. Both the kids had made Amazon wish lists and alot of those items had a modest discount. We got a few other things that were on our lists for family as well.

It was nice to save a few dollars here and there but the big draw for me is getting my online shopping done really early. I have a feeling it’s going to be awful for delays and low stock with the way this year is going. I also want to do my in store shopping before the case count gets too high as I’m thinking we will be under more restrictions as the months wear on .

I got lucky. I was looking for some imitation lightsabers for my niece and nephews. They love playing with my force fx and galaxy edge ones but are too young to understand they are for display only.

I found some realistic ones with battle blades and the prime sale meant I could go for the changeable blade colors for everyone (including me).

So excited to have a full lightsaber fight on Christmas with the kids.

I got lucky. I was looking for some imitation lightsabers for my niece and nephews. They love playing with my force fx and galaxy edge ones but are too young to understand they are for display only.

I found some realistic ones with battle blades and the prime sale meant I could go for the changeable blade colors for everyone (including me).

So excited to have a full lightsaber fight on Christmas with the kids.

we just bought my son an LED light saber that changes colour... of course full price last week. Oh well! He loves the thing and paid for it from his saved allowance. It makes loud noises, and he loves it.

I picked up two of the Fire TV Stick 4K yesterday when they were on sale along with another Echo dot also on sale. It was an okay sale, $44.99 for each of the Fire sticks and $24.99 for the Dot. The second stick will be a nice gift for my mom!

Deals don’t seem to be as good this year in general. One that I actually wanted, the LifeStraw, was advertised as half off for the duration of the event but when I went to buy it this evening it was no longer on sale and back up to regular price 🤷🏼‍♀️

I just googled LifeStraw to see what it is. Amazon must have lowered the price again. It's showing $18.19 (regular $25.99).

One that I actually wanted, the LifeStraw
You might want to rethink the LifeStraw. Its def the most affordable water filtration for North America. But if you want a system that is more practical for either home prep for emergencies or for travel, I would recommend others. With LifeStraw, you need to have the strength to suck water up through that straw. So if you are sick, good luck with that. And if you are sick, or anyone in your household is sick, no one wants to share that straw. For camping or a bug out bag, LifeStraw is not practical. You would need to lie on your stomach and suck water out of a puddle or stream. That's a no. I would recommend you pay more and go for either a Katadyn BeFree Water Filter Bag or the more $ Grayl. Katadyn BeFree is great for most emergencies and camping in North America. But if you travel outside North America, I would recommend the Grayl because it also filters virus out of the water. Neither LifeStraw or Katadyn will eliminate virus. Note I'm not saying it eliminates COVID virus. But most other water born virus. The prices on all of these water filters has spiked over the past 6 months. Katadyn BeFree is now $50 CDN or more. Grayl has surged to $100 plus. I bought mine 2 yrs ago when the price was 40% less. I would base my choice on how I was going to use it. If buying for a home emergency or bug out bag, go for Katadyn. If planning to travel internationally outside of North America in the future once borders open, consider the Grayl. Who knows where the prices will end up over the next 6 months. Buy what you need for you.

Edited to add: I used the Grayl at AS Sports a few yrs ago after a Hurricane trailed through Orlando. I wasn't 100% secure with WDW's own privately operated water filtration system (not operated by City of Orlando) days after a hurricane so used the Grayl to filter my water out of the tap in my bathroom for use in the parks. Bottled water was scarce after the storm. It worked well and had no problems. I had just purchased it a month or so before my trip so it came in handy. With either the Grayl or Katadyn, would recommend you buy an extra filter and store with it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!