Ambien anyone?

I only use Benedryl when I absolutely have to. I have terrible medicine hangovers - not really hangovers, but medicine makes me weird. I use a nasal allergy medicine now instead of all the other prescription forms. They make me medicine drunk in an unpleasant way so I have to be pretty bad off to use any. Thanks for the recommendation though. I'll try it for those nights I absolutely need it. I think the dosage thing is key. I'm only like 100lbs right now and I think being underweight makes the drugs effect me harder than if I had maybe 20lbs on me. I can start low and go from there:)

Yeah - I've asked on this forum why there seems to be only standard doses that aren't modified for weight. One nurse claimed that somehow it doesn't matter. Still - kids medications are often in liquid form and dose by weight. A lot of very dangerous medications are dosed by weight.

If Benadryl makes you feel weird - that's actually what it does almost anyone. That's just kind of a drowsy, loopy feeling. I've tried different antihistamines. Chlorphenamine gives me about the same feeling. The old version of Actifed had a considerably different feeling for me. From a sedating antihistamine it's not quite the same as natural drowsiness, but enough to help people fall asleep. I have heard that some people have weird responses to Benadryl though. The oddest are people who take it and it keeps them awake when they're trying to sleep.

I once tried the Benadryl that is sold as a sleep aid and not a cough medicine, and I had one weird, quite unpleasant night. I can't even explain it well, but it was like I was awake and asleep at the same time...after that, never again

If Benadryl makes you feel weird - that's actually what it does almost anyone. That's just kind of a drowsy, loopy feeling. I've tried different antihistamines. Chlorphenamine gives me about the same feeling. The old version of Actifed had a considerably different feeling for me. From a sedating antihistamine it's not quite the same as natural drowsiness, but enough to help people fall asleep. I have heard that some people have weird responses to Benadryl though. The oddest are people who take it and it keeps them awake when they're trying to sleep.

It makes me feel like I've been drinking, but without the good part. It makes me weird and kinda paranoid. But if I'm really sick I can take it, fall asleep and just wake up feeling unpleasantly groggy.

I don't know if the weight thing really has to do with medicine effecting me more or not, but it seems like it might.

Look up "Ambien Walrus". His tag line is: "Come with me on an adventure you'll never remember". I would strongly recommend taking the prescribed dose (it's prescribed for a reason) but make sure you have someone else with you the first few times.

Personally the sleep is great but I am one of the ones that gets the anterograde amnesia. It says the effects only last 2-3 hours but not for me. The last time I took it was actually Disney related. I was on a work trip in CA and DH came out for tge weekend and we went to DL.

I took it at 10 PM and don't remember leaving for DL at 9AM, getting through security, or riding PotC the first time. The first thing i remember wss being on the train tour about half way through it. This happened when I was given it during my last pregnancy. I had to go to the ER and they gave me one so I could get some sleep to go to work the next day. This was when I was hourly and had 0 vacation days and couldn't afford to miss a day at work. I "woke up" very confused at 11am in a conference room with my boss who was very worried about me.

Stacy

I had a sleep study done (thought I had apnea). Turns out I don't have substantial apnea, but get only 60% quality sleep. The doctor prescribed Ambien. I'm afraid to try it. 5mg tablets is what I'm starting with. I took about a quarter of one last night, and of course didn't feel anything because it was basically nothing, lol. I'm such a chicken.
My significant other used to take ambien. It did help him sleep, but also gave him some unusual behaviors whenever he drank alcohol while taking it, which you should never do. Even that was nothing that would cause harm or any significant problems, though. He was half-asleep, after all. It was kind of amusing. He would be amnesic the next day about his night under the influence. I think it's fine to take it as directed by a doctor.

Last edited:
I've heard good things about Phenergen, an antihistamine with sedative qualities. It's non addictive and rather pleasant :)

I can certainly vouch for the craziness! I keep beef jerky in my kitchen. I got up, got the jerky and opened with scissors. Left it open and spilled on the counter.
That evening I got on my husband about leaving me a mess to clean.
I have been a documented insomniac since I was 19, I'm now 42.
I still take 10mg nightly with a kick of trazadone 100-200 mg.
And always wake up 3 hours later.
Real scary thing when u wake up and take additional

Also, Dramamine works wonderfully as a sleep aid.

Stacy

Depends on the version. The traditional version has an active ingredient that is actually about half diphenhydramine. Diphenhydramine alone is supposed to have anti-nausea properties. The other half is supposed to counteract the drowsiness.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimenhydrinate

The "less drowsy" version is still an antihistamine. I can take it all day without feeling terribly drowsy, but I guess other people react differently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meclizine

I have taken Ambien twice for short stretches of time when under great stress. It worked beautifully but I too didn't want to continue it for any longer than necessary.

What works for me is 1 or 2 Gabapentins taken a few hours before bedtime on an occasional basis. They help my hip bursitis so I can sleep better plus they make me sleepy when I am in a strange bed as on a trip. Some people have problems with Gabapentin but the only side effects I have are vivid dreams sometimes and if taken too late in day, sleepiness in the morning.

My mom swears by Tylenol PM but it doesn't do a thing for me!

Ah yes you definitely need a baby-sitter to watch over you while you find how you react to it! :)

I eat in my sleep about twice a year ; as in it's not uncommon to find a mashed-up cracker or some packaged snack items clenched in my waking-up fist on my pillow. I haven't done anything drastic like wake up and wonder why there was a box of donuts strewn all over BUT it is something I apparently do! My family discovered this when I was prescribed Ambien for short-term use... now they know if I need sleep, I probably need to reset my clock no matter the odd hours. I have been known to sleep for three hours, OR fourteen, whatever. Muscle memory will get me through locks and doors so it's best if I don't purposely take drugs to mess around with that part of my brain centre. :)

Ah yes you definitely need a baby-sitter to watch over you while you find how you react to it! :)

I eat in my sleep about twice a year ; as in it's not uncommon to find a mashed-up cracker or some packaged snack items clenched in my waking-up fist on my pillow. I haven't done anything drastic like wake up and wonder why there was a box of donuts strewn all over BUT it is something I apparently do! My family discovered this when I was prescribed Ambien for short-term use... now they know if I need sleep, I probably need to reset my clock no matter the odd hours. I have been known to sleep for three hours, OR fourteen, whatever. Muscle memory will get me through locks and doors so it's best if I don't purposely take drugs to mess around with that part of my brain centre. :)

Sometimes I don't get why use Ambien or some other prescription sleep aid. Diphenhydramine works extremely well, but of course there's the short-term grogginess on waking up. That's not so bad for me since I like coffee in the morning.

...If Benadryl makes you feel weird - that's actually what it does almost anyone. That's just kind of a drowsy, loopy feeling. I've tried different antihistamines. Chlorphenamine gives me about the same feeling. The old version of Actifed had a considerably different feeling for me. From a sedating antihistamine it's not quite the same as natural drowsiness, but enough to help people fall asleep. I have heard that some people have weird responses to Benadryl though. The oddest are people who take it and it keeps them awake when they're trying to sleep.
{raises hand} That'd be me. Cold medicine containing antihistamines produce that effect. The first two or three doses will be sedating - anything past that will wire me to the point I can't get any rest at all. Terrible as I may feel, I've learned to "gut out" all but the worst colds with just advil and natural remedies.
Also, Dramamine works wonderfully as a sleep aid.

Stacy
On the rare, rare occasion I feel like I need some help sleeping, Gravol (Canadian brand-name of Diphenhydramine anti-nausea med) is my go-to. It never fails. I'd be lying if I said I never dosed DS with it as a baby when he was teething or for airplane travel. I've got a couple of nurse friends who swear they use it in hospitals for "sundowner" patients when their charts don't include any sleep meds.

You could also try melatonin. My son has epilepsy and, like many people with epilepsy, also suffers from poor quality sleep. Our neurologist said that melatonin was the safest option for him (he's 10) and it works really well. I've even taken it a few times and I find it very effective.

Sometimes I don't get why use Ambien or some other prescription sleep aid. Diphenhydramine works extremely well, but of course there's the short-term grogginess on waking up. That's not so bad for me since I like coffee in the morning.

Benadryl is horrible. I physically can't wake up and (like the ambiem) the effects last way longer than they should. The effective range of benadryl is 4-6 hours. After 9 hours I simply can't wake up. By the time I can wake up I am in a fog for 2-3 hours afterwards.

Stacy

Benadryl is horrible. I physically can't wake up and (like the ambiem) the effects last way longer than they should. The effective range of benadryl is 4-6 hours. After 9 hours I simply can't wake up. By the time I can wake up I am in a fog for 2-3 hours afterwards.

Stacy

It's 4-6 hours when awake. There's usually just a residual amount after sleeping. For me it's a short term recovery, but apparently it's not for you. I think there's also a time release version of Ambien that lasts maybe 6 hours.

I was thinking of asking for Ambien, but the potential side effects (sleepwalking) seem really scary.

I tried it twice and it did nothing for me. I've discovered my restless sleep is all stress induced, resulting from my job. I hand in my resignation next week.

I had the same problem for years. After I resigned, and detoxified myself from that toxic job, i've slept much better. Continued stress does bad things to you.

OP, my wife has taken Ambien for years with no problems and no craziness. It affects everyone differently, though.

I've had it.

And I will probably take it again.

No terrible side effects. No funny stories.

I took the pill, and in about 30 minutes, I was sleeping. A wonderful, blissful, refreshing sleep.

I've also stayed awake all night with one. But that was when there was an emergency right after I took it. I pounded caffeine all night long and didn't sleep until well into the next morning.

I tried the controlled release version of Ambien and once my doctor had me try Lunesta. In both instances I was foggy and out of it for over 24 hours, "waking up" 8 hours into my day and not knowing how I got there. I'm not a small person, but I rarely drink and have been told by doctors that I'm a light-weight when it comes to processing that stuff. So that factors into what will work or not. I specifically stay away from the slow release options - I can't be down for the count like that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter