An End to ADRs?

Drfate102

Mouseketeer
I just got done listening to the latest Dining Show, and a thought came to me, with a restricted access to the parks, could the Advance Dining Reservations be temporarily ended. Going to a day of in the park reservation system. You make a reservation 6 months out and not be one of the lucky people to get in, if they allowed you to get in with a reservation, then there is a massive rush to get reservations just to ensure you are able to get in. This was a random thought I had and contingent on table service opening.

It's an interesting concept - after reading today's notes from the Orange County Task Force and their recommendations that tables be 6 week apart at least for the near future it will really limit how many tables are available for dining. I'm thinking of places like Le Cellier where they pack you in like sardines. And it will, at least temporarily, also effect quick service locations.

I think it would be easier for Disney to scale down the reservation spots in ADRs and keep the system going as is. It sound's like the mandates from the OCTF represent a bigger hurdle than altering their dining reservation system temporarily. It would be easier from a tech side of things to fiddle with some database numbers, leave things as is, and then have the floor staff go through the new mandate training - rather than a temporary overhaul. If they had a better way of doing ADRs that were more guest friendly, I'd suspect that they'd have done that by now. And a 6 foot spacing between tables sounds mighty enticing for dining at Disney, there should be plenty of demand, and I'm in that club.

And then it becomes a perk for on-site guests for 3 table service credits? Disney is your finance department hiring? I got ideas. Kidding aside, I felt like I got to know more about the relashionship dynamics about the couple beside me than I did getting to digest my own meal at Chefs de France - what an experience! At what cost though, does Disney do teired seating for table service after this blows over?

Am I the only one ECSTATIC that tables will be six feet apart? I wish this was always the norm, at all the restaurants, in all the world, all the time. Corona or not!

:yay:

I just got done listening to the latest Dining Show, and a thought came to me, with a restricted access to the parks, could the Advance Dining Reservations be temporarily ended. Going to a day of in the park reservation system. You make a reservation 6 months out and not be one of the lucky people to get in, if they allowed you to get in with a reservation, then there is a massive rush to get reservations just to ensure you are able to get in. This was a random thought I had and contingent on table service opening.
I think you will need an ADR, but hopefully they stop with the ADRs 6 months ahead. Maybe make half available 10 days before trip for resort guests, but keep half available day of.

I would expect the opposite. If they must have fewer tables, I would expect them to fill more through ADR and less, if any walk up.

I would expect the opposite. If they must have fewer tables, I would expect them to fill more through ADR and less, if any walk up.

You might be right. But with a reduced capacity, that would be more of a hardline restriction than capacity. If they do average daily at 50%, you are talking in the neighborhood of 30k or less people. Not sure if you walk up to the gate and say you have a reservation and they still can't let you in. But Disney will find a way to make money one way or another.

You might be right. But with a reduced capacity, that would be more of a hardline restriction than capacity. If they do average daily at 50%, you are talking in the neighborhood of 30k or less people. Not sure if you walk up to the gate and say you have a reservation and they still can't let you in. But Disney will find a way to make money one way or another.
Whatever ensures Disney makes the most amount of guaranteed money. My guess would be ADR stays and they let those people in. They bought a ticket AND they're paying for a meal.

I made my ADRs for a trip in October. I just assumed it would be like roulette and we'd be notified if our reservation was canceled or changed.

I made my ADRs for a trip in October. I just assumed it would be like roulette and we'd be notified if our reservation was canceled or changed.

This - I actually booked California Grille for two of the days to offer myself some kind of protection in case one gets canceled. Who knows...

That's an interesting point. I personally don't want them to do away completely with ADR's, but would like to see the window made smaller. It's so hard to decide that far in advance.

I was thinking the opposite might happen. We live in a state that's starting to open up. Restaurants that never previously required reservations are doing so to keep distancing. Even some of the state parks we were looking at are now looking at reservations for day guests to prevent overcrowding. If anything, we were wondering if DIsney might start requiring ADRs for everything...both QS and TS and just using it to keep things going at a lower capacity.

Didn't Disney already do this years ago. As a kid I remember going to a certain spot and calling a cast member to make the reservation. I think we were in Epcot but it has been years.

Yep, that's what we did in the 80's - those were the good ole days - to us - and into the 90's! :) Basically no waits for anything and very low crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!