An End to ADRs?

Didn't Disney already do this years ago. As a kid I remember going to a certain spot and calling a cast member to make the reservation. I think we were in Epcot but it has been years.
Yep, that's what we did in the 80's - those were the good ole days - to us - and into the 90's! :) Basically no waits for anything and very low crowds.
The key words there are "very low crowds". Back then, it wasn't necessary or even possible to pre-plan every moment of your trip months in advance. The place just wasn't that crowded.

Didn't Disney already do this years ago. As a kid I remember going to a certain spot and calling a cast member to make the reservation. I think we were in Epcot but it has been years.
Yep - I remember going to the screen in Epcot during my first trip in Feb. '93, and being very excited to try this, and the family members I was still stupid and masochistic enough to travel with at the time :rotfl2: telling me how brave I was to do it, which egged me on even more. Would you believe when the CM came on the screen I chickened out, and hid behind the screen? Still makes me chuckle, even though I also still feel bad for the poor CM.

I was also quite entranced by the whole Communicore exhibit inside Spaceship Earth at the time,thinking of all the fantastical things I was seeing, not really believing most of them would actually come true, especially not for a common person, like me. And yet - here we all are, interacting with folks all over the world, on a regular basis, not even giving it a 2nd thought most days. Fantastical realized, I'd say.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm not following the OP's post correctly - are you saying that they should end ADR's because people might use them as a way to guarantee their admittance to a particular park on a particular day? That being the case, I don't see the harm. The number of dining reservations is dwarfed by the number of people in the park, especially if restaurant capacity is reduced as it will be.

As for the 6' spacing - yes please, in every respect, but especially in the restaurants if at all possible. I worked in a number of restaurants when I was going to school. The most efficient, highest grossing restaurant BY FAR had at least 6' spacing between tables. It was awesome working there - very high energy, and I never felt like I was squeezing my way in-between tables or around customers. Problem is, you need A LOT of floor space to make that work, and restaurants generally work with very thin margins - most really can't afford to give up revenue by using fewer tables. They need to optimize revenue/sf just to survive.

Disney has now said that for Disney Springs, having a ADR will not guarantee admission to the complex. If the parking lots are full when you arrive, you won’t be let in even if you have an ADR.

Didn't they also say you won't be charged for a no-show ADR if the lots are full?

Well at least they’ll finally will be some space in San Angela Inn they were CRAMMING tables together

Makes me wonder about some of the restaurants with smaller dining rooms will it even be worth it to open? Like Let Cellier doesn't have a ton of tables/seats and if they have to remove 2/3rd of the tables can they justify opening? And wonder if places like La Cava will just to "to go" only

So many logistical questions to get these parks open

We may see "updated" areas of the parks, because let's be honest, it's easier to profit from alcohol sales than food. It's a no-brainer to expand Cava bar into the San Angel. Make a huge horseshoe with multiple bar tenders. Less staff, too.

Yes, they said if you have an ADR but not able to get to it due to capacity issues the no-show fee would be waived
That's mighty kind of them.

The bigger issue, of course, is people who made plans, made a reservation, hired a babysitter, and traveled some distance to get there only to be turned away.

What is Disney doing to prevent foot traffic? What's to stop someone from parking at one of the Hotel Blvd hotels and walking over if the Disney Springs lots are at capacity?

That's mighty kind of them.

The bigger issue, of course, is people who made plans, made a reservation, hired a babysitter, and traveled some distance to get there only to be turned away.

What is Disney doing to prevent foot traffic? What's to stop someone from parking at one of the Hotel Blvd hotels and walking over if the Disney Springs lots are at capacity?

at least for the first phase there are very limited ways you can enter and each of them you have to go through security - it is the bridges from 2 garages and the 1 bridge from those non-Disney hotels down the road. That is it, you can't part at Saratoga Springs and walk over or anything for example

As to your other point, I guess that is just the risk you take if you want to go there during this phased openings with limited capacity

at least for the first phase there are very limited ways you can enter and each of them you have to go through security - it is the bridges from 2 garages and the 1 bridge from those non-Disney hotels down the road. That is it, you can't part at Saratoga Springs and walk over or anything for example

As to your other point, I guess that is just the risk you take if you want to go there during this phased openings with limited capacity
If the bridge from the hotels is still open, then can't pretty much anybody can enter as long as they can get to that bridge? I'm not quite grasping how they will limit access if that's the case.

So they're closed the walkway and boats from SSR (and the other resorts on the Sassagoula that you can take a boat from?)

If the bridge from the hotels is still open, then can't pretty much anybody can enter as long as they can get to that bridge? I'm not quite grasping how they will limit access if that's the case.

just there are clear security points that will not let you past if the area is at capacity is all - so yeah, I guess they can't limit people getting to the bridge but they can limit people from getting off the other side of the bridge if there is no more room in DS

So they're closed the walkway and boats from SSR (and the other resorts on the Sassagoula that you can take a boat from?)

at lease for now - since the resorts aren't open no real need ... now no idea what will happen once the resorts are back open (I assume capacity at DS would be increased by that point)

at lease for now - since the resorts aren't open no real need ... now no idea what will happen once the resorts are back open (I assume capacity at DS would be increased by that point)
Aaaaah - thanx - good point - forgot resorts not open yet - duh me!

just there are clear security points that will not let you past if the area is at capacity is all - so yeah, I guess they can't limit people getting to the bridge but they can limit people from getting off the other side of the bridge if there is no more room in DS
I guess that makes sense. If the bridge will be a checkpoint, easy enough for them to close it for capacity. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks. I knew I had to be missing something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!