An interesting scenario...

CheshireCat

Mouseketeer
Alright, my DH is in the military so moving every few years is a possibility. Our next place to live is Georgia (Savannah area) in the next year, which is why we haven't bought in yet (we are waiting til' we are closer to WDW). We currently live in HI.

The scenerio is this.....once we are in GA. and buy into DVC....and say we have to move to Colorado. Could I make reservations at the DVC resorts at WDW for my sister & her family or other family members? If so, how does that work?

I want to get as much out of DVC & certainly don't want to lose money by being unable to get use out of the membership. I'm just using this as a scenerio....not saying that we will ever move from GA if we are given that choice.

Thanks for the help!

The scenerio is this.....once we are in GA. and buy into DVC....and say we have to move to Colorado. Could I make reservations at the DVC resorts at WDW for my sister & her family or other family members? If so, how does that work?

Actually this is very easy. You just call Member Services and make a reservation providing your sister and family member names and addresses. If there is monetary reimbursement between your sister and you that is a private affair that Disney doesn't need to know about.

The only thing is you need to be sure that your sister or anyone else understands the DVC rules and why cancelling or asking for late date changes can be a huge problem. Not understanding the DVC system seems to be the biggest problem when inviting others or making reservations for them. :sad2:

As the member, you are the only one who can make the reservation. But no problem making it for anyone you choose. :)

Granny...that's awesome! Thanks so much!

One more question real quick.....I think I saw this asked before but don't remember the answer. When I would make the reservation for my sister & her family, would I need to give the names of all staying in the resort (ex. My sister, her husband & 3 children)? Also, can a 5 member family stay in a studio? Just curious. Thanks!~

Granny...that's awesome! Thanks so much!

One more question real quick.....I think I saw this asked before but don't remember the answer. When I would make the reservation for my sister & her family, would I need to give the names of all staying in the resort (ex. My sister, her husband & 3 children)?
Yes. You can make changes later if necessary.

Also, can a 5 member family stay in a studio? Just curious. Thanks!~
Only if one of the members is a child under the age of 3. A portable crib (Pac 'n Play) is provided for the infant to sleep in.

Hi and thank you for serving!

I do not think being in the military should be an impediment for you to owning DVC, unless it is a pay issue, which I would understand ;)

I currently live in Colorado and am a member of the reserves, and I think DVC is a great opportunity for all military members. One of the biggest issues would be the ability to use the points, and I would like to give you an idea of what we did this year.

Our use year is November, so a month or two afterwards, we banked all of our points, since we were going to Florida for December in 2008. We thought we would use our banked points (2007), the normal use year for 2008, and borrow 2009 points to get a Grand Villa and invite the family or maybe do a cruise. This means we would have one fantastic trip to WDW in a three year period if we couldn't make it otherwise.

What happened, however, is that we will be in Florida in a couple weeks for an event. Since we banked all of our points from 2007, we needed to borrow some from 2008 for a three day stay. This flexibility woks our great, so don't think once you bank there are no options if you are able to make an unplanned trip.

Finally, you can use DVC points for other things besides staying at WDW. If you are in Colorado Springs, you can use them for a romantic weekend at the Broadmoor or Keystone for skiing or hiking (a local weekend trip). In addition, you can use them to trade with other timeshares to stay in resorts across the US and the world. If your husband gets stationed in Europe or has to fight in the Middle east and gets his two-weeks vacation, you can meet him in germany, England, Greece, or other places and have a great time together on points.

Lots of options and opportunities.

P.S. I forgot to mention the Military discounts at WDW are pretty cool!

It depends on your husband's job. When DH was at school or the Pentagon, it was easy. Now that he's back in an operational unit, it's much more difficult. I've currently got a trip/cruise planned for August. He's finished with his current tour over there (Middle East) on 11 Aug. I'm planning on buying tickets leaving here for WDW on 16 Aug. Cutting it close, but I don't have a much of a choice. I'm just praying it goes off without a hitch. I dream of the day I can plan a vacation 11 months out. :rolleyes:

I would suggest buying a small contract (150-175), and banking points. That's worked for us, for the most part. I've had to gift some trips to family, but they didn't complain.

BTW ChershireCat, are you AMC?

Isn't it one or the other......military discount or DVC discount? Anybody know which discount is better.....or are they the same?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter