An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suspect that, outside of echo-chamber forums such as this, the number of people who are actually complaining to Disney about the policy is very small in relation to the total number of guests who have stayed since the policy went into effect.
When I sent an email and then received a call back I was told that by Anna that she had spoke to several people who had called about this and the parking fees and that they were keeping up with all the feedback. That is why it is important for people to let the corporate offices know how they feel about these changes. People who frequent Disney should not be made to feel insignificant or like they are doing something wrong by wanting to be left alone for a few hours. She also said that guests are allowed to request specific times to not be bothered so they need to know that that is not the experience people are having.

This is absolutely incorrect. Consumer complaints (in all forms, including making a stink online as well as complaining to front line workers and management) are INCREDIBLY effective ways to change corporate behavior.

Don't believe me? Just ask Sea World.

Hey have at it. Complain, start protests, quit going, call the news, whatever. But most people don't seem to be as angry as you, after 6 months there is not much of a public outcry.

I just don't think Disney room checks enrages and ignites people as much as cruelty to animals....Sea World anger is just not going to happen.

You don't need to reply, I know you will disagree.

snappy, I would suggest a single word change. Change "has" to "had". Of course this is an over simplification but considering over the last number of years the decline in service at check-in, the noticeable increases in charges and fees everywhere, the parking charges, allowing dogs at resorts, and now room checks..... it all adds up. And not in a good way.

Three60guy,

Forbes would disagree with you https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakem...omer-obsessed-companies-in-2018/#69a9139c6ba1

And I would (disagree with you) as well.

My wife and I have been frequent guests in WDW resorts for a quarter of a century. We have had (rare) burbles in service, but it is rare and invariably addressed promptly and to our satisfaction.

That's why we go 8-10 times a year.

Three60guy,

Forbes would disagree with you https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakem...omer-obsessed-companies-in-2018/#69a9139c6ba1

My wife and I have been frequent guests in WDW resorts for a quarter of a century. We have had (rare) burbles in service, but it is rare and invariably addressed promptly and to our satisfaction.

That a lot of trips! Congrats!

Good article. Makes me want to try out the Ritz Carlton in both Orlando and Manhattan, as that brand is the first listed in the Forbes article. Do you always stay onsite or do you venture off?

That a lot of trips! Congrats!

Good article. Makes me want to try out the Ritz Carlton in both Orlando and Manhattan, as that brand is the first listed in the Forbes article. Do you always stay onsite or do you venture off?

Other than two (mediocre) stays at Shades of Green (which I consider to be off-property) and once when my work schedule kept us from making reservations in time (it was a race weekend) we ALWAYS stay on property. We want to immerse ourselves in the Disney experience, and we really like the transportation and Extra Magic Hours that come with being on property.

Once a year or so we will stay in our favorite resort (Contemporary) and we just got back from a stay there. As usual, it was awesome. Next month we are at Pop, and while it's a totally different experience, it still pleases us.

Enjoy your Pop stay. Did you encounter any issues with room checks during the stay at the Comtemporary? I had a housekeeper walk in on me in February at BWV when I was enjoying the boardwalk view on the balcony. I had read about the new policy but am not in the habit of keeping the safety lock on the entire time I am in the room. Probably wouldn’t have mattered if I had it on because the noise out on the balcony was so loud. Don’t know if she knocked or not. I was dressed but I was startled to say the least when I came in off the balcony. I think she was too. I will be using the safety locks religiously at ALL hotels in the future.

Enjoy your Pop stay. Did you encounter any issues with room checks during the stay at the Comtemporary? I had a housekeeper walk in on me in February at BWV when I was enjoying the boardwalk view on the balcony. I had read about the new policy but am not in the habit of keeping the safety lock on the entire time I am in the room. Probably wouldn’t have mattered if I had it on because the noise out on the balcony was so loud. Don’t know if she knocked or not. I was dressed but I was startled to say the least when I came in off the balcony. I think she was too. I will be using the safety locks religiously at ALL hotels in the future.

No issues for us, and we were in the room a lot (we're old people, LOL). There was in every case a gentle knock (which we heard, even when we were on the balcony. We do keep the safety lock on most all the time, so maybe there were some "attempts" of which we were not aware.

Pop is fun. My spouse and I were born in the early 50s and are very much the product of the 60s and 70s, so the theming is right up our alley. We love it. I enjoy running, and a few laps around Hourglass Lake is a nice experience. And since they improved ("healthified") the food offerings, we enjoy eating there except for the noise in the food court.

Our coolest Pop souvenir: One night we found a large (1-foot in diameter) paint chip in one of the yoyo stairwells. They had apparently been prepping the area for repainting. It is now matted and framed and hangs in our living room (along with other Disney "art"), LOL.

Good to hear a positive report from your stay. My husband and I were born during early fifties so we are oldish Too although still working. Youngest just graduated undergrad so our working days are coming to an end. I took our youngest to Pop for a mother daughter trip when she was about 7 and they put us in the 50’s section which I loved. That was our first trip together just us two. Precious memory.

I loved the framed paint chip story. What a conversation piece!

Funny you should mention this. I am narrowing down where to stay for upcoming NYC vacation. Reading reviews on lots of sites. It’s hard to separate the important issues from the mundane. The reviews can vary depending on when the guest stayed, weekday or weekend, and how delayed their flight was. And definitely depends on the age (or the age you feel) of the guest reviewer. It’s all over the place. I’ll go and have a drink at the bar before I check my room lol.

I love Room Mate Grace. It is a lovely little European style hotel but is very modular in each room. SPotless and reasonably priced and walking distance from Grand Central Station.

Thanks! I’ll check it out. My older daughter lives in Brooklyn and wants us to stay at a hip Williamsburg hotel but I don’t want to stay in a party hotel. I have a cancellable reservation at the Ludlow hotel in the lower east side, on a street where my brother lives. Stayed there when it opened in 2014. We have to get an upgraded room to get enough space but rooms are comfortable. Have to travel to the museums etc. More research to do!

Three60guy,

Argh

I'm sorry, Forbes doesn't have the only opinion on this. Heck, Forbes doesn't even list Apple.

Here is one example and Disney doesn't even show up in a list of 25 of the best customer service companies from 2014 when Disney should have easily been listed:

https://list25.com/25-highest-rated-companies-customer-service/

We live in a world of diverse media.

Picking one list and putting that out there to show how Disney compares might have worked decades ago but not in this world of the Internet, Social Media, etc.

In my opinion, Disney is slipping big time. I also realize everyone will have to check their own mileage. Some people think Disney can do no wrong. Others are deciding not to go there anymore. Somewhere in the middle is the truth. The important point is where the trend is moving.

Welcome Home.

Last edited:
I think that Disney is slipping too. They are still good but not great like they once were.

As for complaints, none of us have any idea about how many people are putting up a fuss. Most Disney visitors don't come here where most are very invested in the Disney experience. I would bet that most who go to Disney enjoy it but don't live for it like so many on the fan websites.

Good to know. I would actually love to attend a seminar re: how the animals at AK lodge and park are managed.
No courses like that offered. Looking at the next three months, they offer seminars in Business Excellence, Leadership Excellence, Employee Engagement, and... Quality Service ;)
Here is one example and Disney doesn't even show up in a list of 25 of the best customer service companies from 2014 when Disney should have easily been listed:
I'm sorry, Forbes doesn't have the only opinion on this. Heck, Forbes doesn't even list Apple.
Respectfully, "of the best..." doesn't mean the same as "the best... " Plus, it's been four years. Things change. Although Trader Joe's and Amazon seem to appear on multiple lists.

Argh

https://list25.com/25-highest-rated-companies-customer-service/

We live in a world of diverse media.

Picking one list and putting that out there to show how Disney compares might have worked decades ago but not in this world of the Internet, Social Media, etc.

In my opinion, Disney is slipping big time. I also realize everyone will have to check their own mileage. Some people think Disney can do no wrong. Others are deciding not to go there anymore. Somewhere in the middle is the truth. The important point is where the trend is moving.

Welcome Home.

Three,

No need to apologize. I never said Forbes has the only opinion on the subject. If you will read my post I said neither Forbes nor I would agree with you, that's all. And I stand by that statement. I "picked one list" and offered my opinion to refute your categorical (and unsupported) statement that Disney HAD a reputation for customer service. You and others may hold that view, but it isn't universal. Many hold the Walt Disney Company up as a solid example of a company that delivers on customer service. That is the definition of a reputation for customer service.

Frankly, I would just as soon those like you who believe it to be slipping would stop going. That would lessen wait times and make it easier for my spouse and me to get FastPasses.

I see both sides of this. While I don’t like the idea of room checks, I think Disney feels that that they have to protect themselves too. We live in a litigious society.

And, I really think it’s a band aid solution at best. Someone could easily store weapons in the trunk of their car.

"Cries like a baby at Illuminations..."

And I thought I was the only one.

For me, it was Wishes. New MK fireworks good too. I saw the new one during the DVC Magic night in February. Hard to top.

For me, it was Wishes. New MK fireworks good too. I saw the new one during the DVC Magic night in February. Hard to top.
My son in law told my DD he now understands why I always cry at Wished....for him it was the Starwars spectacular, LOL!

I like the Star Wars fireworks at the studios too. When I am at Disney I try to stay at Epcot resorts, BWV or BCV or Swandolphin. Seeing Illuminations was easy but I figured out how to view both MK and Studios fireworks from either the boardwalk porch or back by the BWV main pool. Saves wear and tear. But I like to see them in the respective parks at least once each trip if possible.

Ummm.... how did we slide from talking about room checks to crying at your favorite fireworks? Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter