An Overplanner Takes on WDW – Feb 2019 PTR now with bonus Aug trip (New TR linked 9/2))

Aw man this would be a tough decision. I love AK, maybe as much as MK! But I'm an animal freak and worked as a vet tech for years.
I've only ever been once and I don't have kids so I don't really have any good suggestions for you.. sorry I'm not much help. But I hope you manage to get it all sorted out!

We're hoping to do the dance party in the evening, but it really depends on how things move at dinner. If we can get a quick mobile order pickup, they'll have time to party before RoL. That's another one of those things that I have no idea if food will take us 20 minutes or 60. Plus, it's my understanding that you can bring food into the RoL arena. If the kids just want to play, we can always bag up dinner and bring it to eat during the wait for RoL. That's how they eat most of their meals at Sesame Place. We get seats for the show and then break into the cooler to chow down while we wait for it to start.

Are you getting dinner from Satuli Canteen? It seems to come up the most when people are recommending AK QS.

Are you getting dinner from Satuli Canteen? It seems to come up the most when people are recommending AK QS.

I was looking at there and Flame Tree. Both offer mobile ordering, which should help with the wait. I think the Satu'li looks more interesting for me (especially after a heavy, buffet lunch) but the kids would probably do better at Flame Tree. I'll probably end up taking them to Flame Tree and make my hubby share whatever he gets from Satu'li after he catches up with us from his FoP ride.

We can certainly play this one by ear once we see how we're feeling. My initial thought is that I'd rather the kids do the boneyard while the adults are swapping EE than having them wait for us to swap and us subsequently waiting for them at boneyard. It'll be a lot of backtracking for the adults while swapping out, but, without tiny legs or strollers holding us back, we're both pretty fast movers anyway. We're going to have Tusker lunch, so I'm not sure that any of us will be feeling like a snack by that time.
Also, keep in mind, the play does only have one way in and one way out. And technically there is a CM watching the exit. But they aren't always. I am sure you are used to watching all 3 at parks and stuff. But I used to find it stressful keeping track of my 2 girls. It's not to say you can't do.

And I will say that my girls LOVE the boneyard area, so there is that going for it.

If the kids just want to play, we can always bag up dinner and bring it to eat during the wait for RoL. That's how they eat most of their meals at Sesame Place. We get seats for the show and then break into the cooler to chow down while we wait for it to start.
This is actually a good idea if they can make it that late.

I am sure you are used to watching all 3 at parks and stuff. But I used to find it stressful keeping track of my 2 girls. It's not to say you can't do.

I think part of it is what you're used to. Compared to how hard it was when they were smaller and more likely to fall/steal a toy/get stuck somewhere, I find parks and play areas pretty low stress these days. If there's only one entrance/exit, we're golden- I just chill there and they come find me if they need something. It helps that I've been taking them out on my own to the zoo, aquarium, Discovery museum, etc since they were 18 months old. Compared to the cat herding spectacle that I was then, supervising preschoolers who can follow directions is nothing. They have also never been wanderers or runners, which helps tremendously: they wouldn't leave a play area without talking to me first.

This is actually a good idea if they can make it that late.

That's definitely a big "if" and largely dependent on how well they eat at Tusker. They LOVE buffets and tend to eat a lot at them, so I have that going for me. What's most likely to happen is that they insist they're starving by 5pm, eat just enough to ward off the hunger, and then want to go play again. They won't realize they're still hungry until they slow back down because we're waiting, either in line or sitting waiting for the show, at which point they will once again become ravenous. That's where the bagged dinner will come in handy.

ADRs are fast approaching, which means I’m trying to really lock down where I want to be each day. Here’s what I’ve got so far

Monday, February 25th
Flight lands at 2pm, then ME to Boardwalk Villas
If the weather is nice, the kids will want to swim approximately the whole afternoon/evening and we’ll use 4 QS and 5 snacks at the hotel QS options. If it’s not warm enough to swim, then it’s a boat to DS to use those same credit on what I can only assume will be much tastier options.
I’m planning on trying Walmart grocery delivery for breakfast food and snacks, with a scheduled delivery between 6-7. We should definitely have our room by then and can unpack groceries around the same time we’re receiving our luggage, if all goes well. We’ll have breakfast in the room just about every morning, as well as packing granola bars, crackers, and applesauce pouches for the park each day.
4 QS, 5 Snack

Tuesday, February 26th
Magic Kingdom assuming 9am-9pm with 7:55 HEA
We won’t try to rush to get up or to the park this morning but, given the girls normal waking time and the level of excitement that this trip will generate, I think we’ll be there just about at park open.
Start slow, check out Main St (two snack credits for coffee)
Visit Merida
FP Winnie the Pooh 9-10
Carousel, Royal Majesty Makers, It’s a Small World
FP Peter Pan 10:00-11:00 (assuming towards end of window)
FP Rapunzel 11:00-12:00 (assuming towards beginning of window, start looking for Jungle Cruise 4th FP)
ADR for Cinderella’s Royal Table at noon (this is going to be my hardest get, and I can potentially push it later in the day if need be, but I’d really like to do this on our first MK day to start things off with some real Disney magic)
After lunch (2pm at the latest), head down toward Liberty Square for some combination of Muppets History, Riverboat, Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree, hopefully a bonus Jungle Cruise FP, and, if we manage all of that, some extra low-key Adventureland (Tikki, Aladdin, Swiss Family Robinson) to fill time under dinner
Mobile order for Pecos Bill at 5pm (3 meal, 2 snack)
Mobile order for Aloha Aisle Dole Whip (3 snack) to bring to the 5:45 Move it, Shake It parade
7pm park hubby with strollers at a spot for HEA, girls and I get Plaza Ice Cream (3 snack) to bring back to eat before the fireworks
Bus back to the resort immediately after fireworks
10 TS, 3 QS, 10 Snack

Wednesday, February 27th
Epcot assuming 9am-9pm with 9pm Illuminations
MK will have been a late night for us, so I’m on the fence about putting the RD here. On the other hand, since we’re walking in from international gateway, we only have to leave our room about 8:15 to make RD. 7:30 is a really late sleep in for my kids, and they can eat their breakfast in the stroller while the adults walk, so we should be ok.
Iced coffee for adults from resort (2 snack)
RD Soarin’
Joy, Sadness, Baymax
Turtle Talk with Crush
The Seas with Nemo
FP Spaceship Earth 10:30-11:30 (I’m assuming we can get to this by 11, that would mean getting the top 4 done in 2 hours)
Living with the Land
Garden Grill ADR 11:45am
FP Test Track 1:30-2:30
FP Mission Space Green side (kids are too short for Orange) 2:30-3:30 (start looking for bonus FPs in Future World)
Journey into Imagination with Figment and play area afterward
Disney Visa Character Meet
Club Cool
Early dinner La Cantina (3 quick service)
Refreshment Port Cronuts (5 snacks)
Head around toward IG, checking out Canada and UK if we still have steam or just going straight out if we’re wiped. Want to have the kids showered and in bed at normal time tonight, which means getting back to the room by 7pm.
Depending on how quickly we get through some earlier in the day things and how long lunch takes, we can fit in some of the lower key Future World things, like the lab show, the trashcan music show, the topiaries for Flower and Garden, etc.
5 TS, 3 QS, 7 Snack

Thursday, February 28th
We want to RD to see the opening show, but we’re not going to be trying to hit Fantasyland first with the biggest crowds. We’ll let ourselves get there closer to opening time, actually watch the show from the hub rather than shoving up into a spoke, and then head over to Tomorrowland
Adult coffee (2 snack)
RD Buzz Lightyear
Astro Orbiter
Speedway if it’s not closed for track work
Mad Tea Party
Meet Alice
Dumbo
If timing is really working in our favor, characters in circus. Not a must, as we’ll see all during meals
Under the sea
FP Ariel 10:00-11:00 (end of window)
FP Enchanted Tales with Belle- 11:10-12:10 (beginning of window)
Meet Gaston
12:30 Be Our Guest ADR (5 QS, 3 snack)
FP Seven Dwarfs 1:30-2:30 (start looking for bonus FPs in Fantasyland or Tomorrowland)
Mickey’s Philharmagic
Monsters Inc Laugh Floor
Tomorrowland People Mover? Carousel of Progress? Buzz lightyear visit? Depends on how quickly we move through things as we have to be out on time
3:15 start heading out the door, want to be ahead of the end of parade crowd
Monorail to Poly/TTC or boat to Poly/TTC
4pm Ohana ADR (5 ts)
If dinner is quick, explore Poly a bit. Otherwise, home early for showers, maybe ice cream at the resort (3 snack) and early to bed
5 TS, 5 QS, 8 snack

So, what do you think? Am I shoving 4 hours worth of park time into only 2, or is this doable so far on moderately crowded days? I’m crashing, so the rest will have to wait for tomorrow.

Is One Day at AK Enough?

I also don’t love that we’re trying to fit two RS in one day. Hubby and I have never done either of these rides and they’re both supposed to be great. However, that leaves us separated from each other with one adult on three kids for most of the afternoon. Since none of my girls are over 7, they can’t even go on Triceratops spin with only one adult. For the EE swaps, it’s the Boneyard and Donald’s Dino Bash. I could potentially use this swap time for the Jungle Trek, but, with the speed that they walk, I think I’d be off EE before they made it even made it back up to the trail entrance. For the FoP swap, we’re filling in with NRJ and then dinner, so that’s still accomplishing things, at least.

This is going to totally be a YMMV situation, but I found that when we were all in one CAR, there was no issue with my (then) 4 year old not sitting beside me. In fact, for Aladdin's Magic Carpets and TriceraTop Spin both, my oldest rode with me while my 4 year rode with the 7 year old. Same thing with Big Thunder in fact although that didn't work out that well... they let my three sit together in front of me in the same CAR.

This is going to totally be a YMMV situation, but I found that when we were all in one CAR, there was no issue with my (then) 4 year old not sitting beside me. In fact, for Aladdin's Magic Carpets and TriceraTop Spin both, my oldest rode with me while my 4 year rode with the 7 year old.

Initially, this is what I thought as well. Since there are two rows per car on both of those spinners, we would be ok 1 adult with 3 kids. The adult would be "accompanying" from behind two of the girls. Someone else told me that were being strict with their family about the adult per row, not just per car. My worry would be that hubby and the kids wait, get up to the front, and then get told they can't ride.

If you're going to be in DinoLand for the Rider Swap on EE and you'll have PhotoPass, there are photo booths there included. My youngest was enthralled with it while his older brothers rode PrimEval Whirl by themselves.

If you're going to be in DinoLand for the Rider Swap on EE and you'll have PhotoPass, there are photo booths there included. My youngest was enthralled with it while his older brothers rode PrimEval Whirl by themselves.

Yeah, we're planning photopass, so that's a good idea. All of the characters for Donald's Dino Bash will also be spread out in that area. The girls will probably want pictures with dinosaur Chip and Dale.

Yeah, we're planning photopass, so that's a good idea. All of the characters for Donald's Dino Bash will also be spread out in that area. The girls will probably want pictures with dinosaur Chip and Dale.
These are right by the exit to PrimEval Whirl.
16427405_10100934741324259_5142654186281083333_n.jpg

Friday, March 1st
Animal Kingdom- Assume 9-8 with 7:15 RoL (this time last year they were changing some of their AKs to 8am openings, so we’ll see if this sticks)
Early morning for us, as I’d like to be in line for the buss by 7:30am with travel breakfast. We can eat while we wait or, if a bus comes quickly, eat once we’ve gotten through security
RD Navi river journey
Coffee for adults (2 snacks), discovery island trails/animals
10:00am Lion King
Gorilla Trail
FP Safari 10:30-11:30 (middle to end of window)
12:00 ADR Tusker House Lunch with River of Light package- 5 TS
Depending on how soon we get out of lunch, pick 1-2 from: Rafiki planet watch, Up! A Great Bird Adventure, and/or Jungle trek
FP Expedition Everest with RS 2:30-3:30
Kids to Boneyard play area, Donald’s Dino Bash while parents swap
4:00 Finding Nemo
FP FoP for me, NRJ for hubby and kids 4:50pm (get RS for hubby)
While hubby rides FoP, I take kids for food and move toward Dinoland (Satuli or Flame Tree 2 QS)
Hubby grabs own dinner and finds us in Dinoland (1 QS)
Boneyard or Dino Bash until we’re all back together
Triceratops spin
Trilo Bites Milkshakes (5 snack)
River of light show, arrive 6:45
5 TS, 3 QS 7 snack

Originally, I was thinking they could sign up for Wilderness Explorers while we wait for RD, but now I’m wondering if it’s really a good idea with only one day in AK. There’s no way we’d get much of it completed and I think they’d be disappointed not to get it all done. We’re not planning on going back for a few years, so it’s not like I can just tell them we’ll do it on our next trip. What do you think?

Saturday, March 2nd
Hollywood Studios, Assume 9am to 8pm with 7pm F! and 8pm fireworks
After a full day at AK, I’m thinking we’ll have a slow start this morning. The good news is that our breakfast ADR is right at the hotel, so we only have to get out of the room 5 minutes before it starts!
8:30am ADR Bon Voyage breakfast (5 TS)
Walk/boat over to HS
FP Beauty and the Beast at 11
FP Slinky Dog Dash 12:00-1:00
Woody’s Lunchbox 2 QS, 2 Snack
FP Star Tours 1:00-2:00 (start refreshing for TSL or Fantasmic FP)
2:30 Frozen Sing Along
Oasis canteen funnel cake (1 snack)
Meet Olaf
Muppets 3d
Walt Dis Presents
Voyage of the little mermaid
Meet Chewbacca
5:30 Sunsent Blvd QS trio (Eddie, Rosie, or Faifaxe Faire)- 3 QS
Hollywood scoops (5 snacks)
Savory snacks by theater (2 snacks)
Bonus FP Fantasmic (plan to arrive by 6:15 for 7pm show)
Try to use the back exit from Fantasmic to get out faster, catch some of the Star Wars fireworks. Not trying to get a good viewing spot for projections or anything as the timing will be too tight. Just hoping to enjoy the pyro.
5 TS, 5 QS, 10 snack

Sunday, March 3rd
After a late night at HS, we’re going to move at whatever pace we want in the morning. Again, the kids aren’t really the “sleep in” types, so we’ll likely be here close to opening time, but we won’t rush.
Adult coffee (2 snack, from resort if running late)
Socerer’s of magic kingdom cards
FP Big Thunder Mountain Railroad 9:15-10:15
If early, Tom Sawyer Island
Crystal Palace 10:30 (5 TS)
FP Splash 12:00-1:00
FP Pirates of the Caribbean 1:00-2:00 (start refreshing based on what we haven’t hit yet or want to re-ride)
Adventureland stuff we didn’t hit on our first MK day (Tikki room? Magic Carpets? Aladdin and Jasmine? Swiss Fam Robinson?)
Aloha Aisle, Sunshine Terrace, or Sleepy Hollow- 3 snack
3pm Festival of Fantasy parade, view from Frontierland
4pm Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire
3 QS dinner, pick based on where we got bonus FPs or what we still want to accomplish
Barnstormer? (going to require a bunch of RSing to get all three kids through, only if we have lots of time)
Either leave and get dessert at resort or get dessert here before heading out (5 snack)
Leave early enough to get kids to bed on time
5 TS, 3 quick, 10 snack

For Barnstormer, you should be able to ride together. Not sure of your or your husband's size, but it's a bench seat with a single bar. One parent can ride with one triplet and the other can ride with the other two. I'm a big gal and I fit with my kiddo. The older two rode behind us together.

. One parent can ride with one triplet and the other can ride with the other two.

I had read that this was ALWAYS no more than 2 across, regardless of size. Hubby and I are small-to-average and the kids are skinny. We'd be willing to shove in 3 if they let us but I thought it wasn't allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter