An Unpleasant Experience at Yak and Yeti CS

I

If you were out walking and got tired, would you enter a McDonald's to rest, then sit down and not order anything?
Ever been to a truck stop or rest area on the interstate? That seating is technically for the restaurant. Have you ever seen people searching for a spot to sit and eat on busy holidays because all the tables are full? I have and not everyone is eating.

I think you're wrong. It's outdoor seating for the QS, people shouldn't be sitting at those tables if they have no intention of eating that QS food.
If that’s the case then it should be sectioned off with some form of physical barrier to be entered only by peaople who have gone through the food line. Hmm, sounds like the arrangement found in a table service establishment. Try going to Yachtsman and just grabbing a table to lounge. Not gonna happen. Why? Cause it’s not CS.

Maybe one day you'll change your stance when you get up to get a ketchup package, a fork or a napkin and someone comes along and plops themselves down in your seat.
In a situation like this, chances are excellent that either the spot at the table has food/plate at it, or the seats are occupied by others in one's party who are fully cable of saying, " someone's eating there."
I'm just over here laughing at how bizarre it would be if 3 people are sitting at a 4 top in the middle of their meal and someone just sits down with them and starts eating. That's all I've been able to picture while reading some of these crazy posts.
What about two people at a six-top?

Yes, you could order a drink at Leaky Cauldron and then sit as long as you want, but their procedure does eliminate the entire someone-sits-at-a-table-and-saves-it-while-someone-else-gets-the-food scenario. I'm willing to bet by eliminating that time on the front end, Leaky Cauldron is able to turn tables over faster and it completely eliminates the possibility of people sitting in the area and using it as a "cooling off" area as another PP suggested in prior threads.

Interesting that Satul'i stopped patrolling the inside of the restaurant. Yes, we were there in August 2017 and there was a CM with a stanchion and rope who was only allowing people with Satul'i food into the seating area.

We ate at Satul'i twice in September (9/14 for dinner and 9/16 for lunch), and both times the rope and CM were present as you describe. With that method we had no problem finding a table once we got our food, and the restaurant was very busy.

In a situation like this, chances are excellent that either the spot at the table has food/plate at it, or the seats are occupied by others in one's party who are fully cable of saying, " someone's eating there."

What about two people at a six-top?

That had nothing to do with my post. You've made it clear you wouldn't have a problem sitting down in extra space. I was just making a little joke. Chill.

We ate at Satul'i twice in September (9/14 for dinner and 9/16 for lunch), and both times the rope and CM were present as you describe. With that method we had no problem finding a table once we got our food, and the restaurant was very busy.
I just checked my receipts for mobile ordering (from my e-mail) and we ordered food just after 1:15pm (so probably got food not too long after) on 9/15 and it was like I had described where the only thing the CM was doing was ensuring you went to either the mobile ordering line or the regular line with no one policing the dining area.

Beats me why Disney does it one day but not the next :confused3.

Well sure, but that's not going to stop Rusty or someone who shares his opinion that an open chair is an open chair, which is what I was responding to.

True story:

My wife and I were in AK yesterday. Our only other visit was just after the park opened years ago so we were not at all familiar with the layout. We passed by Everest and ended up walking the back side of Y&Y where the seating is. It was just after 9:00 and we wanted some breakfast so we got in line (it didn't seem busy). It took f-o-r-e-v-e-r to place an order and get our food from the window. I looked at my wife and asked her, "what is this place?" She looked for a sign, found one, and said "Yak and Yeti". Me -"Oh hell no!" -all I could think about was this thread, lol. The food was pretty good for the price but the service seemed really slow for the amount of people there. No way I'd want to try it during a busy time, and no way entire parties would fit in front of those windows waiting for the orders. Yes -we did find a seat fairly easily. :)

I just checked my receipts for mobile ordering (from my e-mail) and we ordered food just after 1:15pm (so probably got food not too long after) on 9/15 and it was like I had described where the only thing the CM was doing was ensuring you went to either the mobile ordering line or the regular line with no one policing the dining area.

That is strange- maybe they base it on park occupancy? On 9/15 we were at HS, and it was deader than a doornail- was it busy that day at AK? Of course, all days in Pandora are busy so there goes that theory ;)

That is strange- maybe they base it on park occupancy? On 9/15 we were at HS, and it was deader than a doornail- was it busy that day at AK? Of course, all days in Pandora are busy so there goes that theory ;)
Pandora itself was the only busy part to AK, though I will say ROL was packed that night however I was able to get FP for it just before 5pm for that night's show.

Ever been to a truck stop or rest area on the interstate? That seating is technically for the restaurant. Have you ever seen people searching for a spot to sit and eat on busy holidays because all the tables are full? I have and not everyone is eating.

Doesn't mean it is not rude to take up a table leaving others with food to wander around looking for a place at which to eat.

Rusty I really hope when I go to Disney with my daughter this summer and we have two empty chairs that you happen to take a spot at our table. I love, what I imagine to be your dry blunt but practical side. Oh I am completely introverted everywhere in my life but at Disney and have met some of the most interesting people there. I have sat with others when there was no open tables and invited people to sit with us. It’s one meal. My life goes on. But hey that’s just me

I remember that place - I had a CM help me find someplace to sit the one time I ate there because I'd perched over a garbage can and set my tray on top of it to eat like I was at the Food and Wine Festival.

The CM said come with him, he'd get me a place to sit and eat. I followed him along and he asked someone to move from a table who didn't have food. That person did get up and stood right next to the table while I ate and left before the rest of their party arrived with the food. I told him he could sit and join me (it was a 4 top) but nope - he said he'd just wait and stand.

That was a strange one which is why I remember it. I didn't care for the food much which is why is all of my many trips, I've never eaten that QS again.

Because they need to do it one day (or even one hour) and not the next. Because on monday, or from 12-1, people are occupying a table before they're ready to utilize it.
That person did get up and stood right next to the table while I ate and left before the rest of their party arrived with the food
Certainly not proof, but surely evidence, that occupying a table prior to food unnecessarily inconveniences, at the very least, persons with food.

Last edited:
If that’s the case then it should be sectioned off with some form of physical barrier to be entered only by peaople who have gone through the food line. Hmm, sounds like the arrangement found in a table service establishment. Try going to Yachtsman and just grabbing a table to lounge. Not gonna happen. Why? Cause it’s not CS.
Like everyone wants to see barriers all around. It's common sense, tables outside a QS are for eating QS food!

Like everyone wants to see barriers all around. It's common sense, tables outside a QS are for eating QS food!
Clearly you want to keep the less able people from taking a seat to relax in the park just because they haven’t bought food. The only way to convey limited access is with a barrier of some form. Common sense dictates that it’s public seating with no requirement of having food in hand. What if I pull out a mickey bar from some other establishment? I’m eating Disney food. I expect that to be inadequate as well though as it still inconveniences you.

Doesn't mean it is not rude to take up a table leaving others with food to wander around looking for a place at which to eat.
Assess the availability of seating before you choose to buy something. If you absolutely must have a seat I recommend TS or find a place with seating available. It’s not rude. Why do they have to give up their place they arrived at before you did? Because you bought food? Why does grandma trying to find a place to sit or someone who can’t walk for extended periods of time have to go out of their way to accommodate the potential of you needing that table as opposed to anywhere else to eat?

I’ve bought food and have been unable to find a table. Do I complain on a forum? No I go find a spot elsewhere. Even if that means the wall outside the tiki room. People need to grow up and figure it out instead of expecting everyone to accommodate them.

The lack of barriers has everything to do with flow and nothing to do with function. The anecdotal blathering on this thread is precious.

The only way to convey limited access is with a barrier of some form. Common sense dictates that it’s public seating with no requirement of having food in hand.
Walls encompassing both the food ordering counters and the tables = pretty clear "barrier of some form."
It’s not rude. Why do they have to give up their place they arrived at before you did?
The party holding the table DIDN'T arrive at the venue before the person with the tray of food.

If they had, they'd already have their food.
Why does grandma trying to find a place to sit or someone who can’t walk for extended periods of time have to go out of their way to accommodate the potential of you needing that table as opposed to anywhere else to eat?
Guests with mobility or stamina issues don't supersede the needs of guests making a location-specific purchase and reasonably expecting to avail themselves of the seating logically provided for diners.
I’ve bought food and have been unable to find a table. Do I complain on a forum? No I go find a spot elsewhere. Even if that means the wall outside the tiki room.
Okay, you don't complain on a forum. Good to know. In the meantime, the OP is such a person.

Personally, I wish they'd posted the day it happened, so we could have sent her to a CM for assistance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter