Ancestry

There is this new commercial about Thanksgiving dinner being more crowded now because they've discovered all these new relatives through one of these ancestry tracking things. I don't see the people I am related to that much; my parents are gone for years, and my siblings all have their children and grandchildren.

Is this something that has a great appeal?

I think it's just a joke to sell the product. Where I live, no one is much more than fifth or sixth cousins from anyone else, either by blood or by marriage.

I did the ancestry test about a year ago. I expected results to say that I am almost 100% Italian. Result was half Italian and half Irish. Odd!! Also a few maternal cousins who did the test weren't coming up as DNA matches. Also very odd. After investigating, my sibs and I discovered that my mom was adopted . With the help of a new first cousin, we were able to find more first cousins, one of whom knew all about my mothers adoption. So we did discover new family members. The only sad thing is that my mom had siblings living very close by whom she never knew about. I don.t know why my moms adoptive parents didn't tell anyone,

I'm adopted and just this year tested with Ancestry. It has been a stressful, exciting, anxious, and worthwhile journey. Today I'm having dinner with family I was raised with and married into. On Saturday we'll be celebrating with a housefull of paternal relatives that never knew I existed. I have so much to be thankful for :)

Like DFNU has said -

Ancestry can bring many secrets to light. And that's good and bad for some. One can literally find a sibling, child, mother/father that they did not know existed. I can't imagine the myriad of emotions that occur.

I heard of a story of a man that went after ancestry.com for erroneous results. Finally his elderly mother told him the truth. That a family friend was really his father.

For some that already know and are looking for this exact reason, well I'm sure it's wonderful for them. But still so emotional.

And DNA is not where you know your ancestors lived on paper. That is often a surprise for many. Both my mother's parents came here from Ireland. Grew up there. She knew nothing more than Irish, Irish and Irish for generations back. And assumed that. It's interesting to learn that even if that's all you know, people are transient over time. People came and conquered etc. My mother learned so much more of her parents' DNA, through her, including very strong Scottish and Scandinavian backgrounds.

We also were contacted by her cousin in Belfast who was overjoyed to find the branch that left and came to Canada. That was lovely for him and very interesting for my mother to hear.

OT, but I would love for everyone to be forced to see their DNA somehow. ;) A fair amount of racists, and prejudiced people, would be very surprised. I find that part comical.

Watching shows like Finding Your Roots should be required in schools. They just had Lupita Nyong'o on the program. She has DNA, I believe it's called mtdna Eve, that has proven to be the earliest DNA on record. I think that would be great for black children to know and learn especially, and for all children to learn.

And for some adults to highlight their ridiculous behaviour.

Last edited:

I'm adopted and just this year tested with Ancestry. It has been a stressful, exciting, anxious, and worthwhile journey. Today I'm having dinner with family I was raised with and married into. On Saturday we'll be celebrating with a housefull of paternal relatives that never knew I existed. I have so much to be thankful for :)

Wow Debbie.

I can only imagine the myriad of emotions for you and all involved. Good thoughts sent your way! :goodvibes

Congrats! Unless you are an adoptee no one really understands the feeling of not knowing....I found my birth mom prior to DNA testing in the mid 1990's and had a great relationship with her (found 3 half siblings too!) - she passed away yesterday. With DNA I was able to find relatives of my birth fathers-he passed away in 1999 but it was awesome getting pictures of him!

Congrats! Unless you are an adoptee no one really understands the feeling of not knowing....I found my birth mom prior to DNA testing in the mid 1990's and had a great relationship with her (found 3 half siblings too!) - she passed away yesterday. With DNA I was able to find relatives of my birth fathers-he passed away in 1999 but it was awesome getting pictures of him!

:hug: April.

Good to know you had that time with her, but I'm so sorry.

Thank you! I've been getting to know my newfound sisters and it's just surreal for me. It's also amazing how much genetics are inherent in our beings.

I've decided to wait a bit to contact my maternal side. It's hard to explain, but I don't want to 'ruin' her Christmas.

I'm sorry for your loss:hug:

My sister said she wouldn't do the DNA thing because she didn't want some stranger coming out of the woodwork wanting to be "family." (I'm the same way.) So the ads don't appeal to everyone.

Sorry for your loss.

"Finding Your Roots" on PBS has done some interesting stories that involve using DNA combined with genealogical records to trace birth family ancestry. This week's episode in particular had Tea Leoni finding out about her mother's birth family and Abby Hoffman resolving a historic paternity question - it may be on again this week in some markets.

There is also an interesting real-life story in Canada about a woman who was abandoned at birth and in the last year with the help of DNA (among other things) was able to find and confirm the identities of her birth parents and some half siblings all but one of whom had also been abandoned. It's a fascinating story. She has a website and recently told her story on W5, a Canadian news magazine show.

M.

I connected with an extended family member- great grandfather’s great niece and it was really cool to hear stories from her mother about my great grandmother who was really close to me as a child. She also had all the paperwork for the Daughters of the American Revolution that she shared and I was able to trace our roots back and join which I found exciting.

I met her and had coffee and exchanged pictures and stories one afternoon a few years ago. That’s it-we aren’t having meals together or staying in touch.

"Finding Your Roots" on PBS has done some interesting stories that involve using DNA combined with genealogical records to trace birth family ancestry. This week's episode in particular had Tea Leoni finding out about her mother's birth family and Abby Hoffman resolving a historic paternity question - it may be on again this week in some markets.

Great episode. :thumbsup2 And as a person who used to watch As The World Turns I was shocked to learn about Hoffman's father. I had no clue.

I wish that they would only cover two people, not three on each episode. I enjoyed the more in depth look this week. And Leoni's story shows clearly how different family members can think about opening a door, so to speak.

My sister said she wouldn't do the DNA thing because she didn't want some stranger coming out of the woodwork wanting to be "family." (I'm the same way.) So the ads don't appeal to everyone.

I enjoy it all, but completely understand your viewpoint Karly.

People should know of this possibility, no matter how slim, before they decide.

There is also an interesting real-life story in Canada about a woman who was abandoned at birth and in the last year with the help of DNA (among other things) was able to find and confirm the identities of her birth parents and some half siblings all but one of whom had also been abandoned. It's a fascinating story. She has a website and recently told her story on W5, a Canadian news magazine show.

Will check this out. Sounds interesting, and emotional.

I've had my parents and hubby do Ancestry DNA tests for a couple of different reasons.

First, as a genealogist, I wanted to try and verify the paper trail. This has been successful on Mum's side of the family to a degree. Not so much on Dad's. After 25 years of researching, it seems like the rumours of a paternity may be true as I'm yet to confirm a match on his paternal side. I'm still working on it and will get there.

Another was to establish paternity for hubby. His mother will not tell him who his father is. We knew he was clearly European but didn't know what exactly. Ancestry provided us with 2 1/2 sibling matches. I've not contacted them but have now been able to confirm who his father is (deceased unfortunately) and what nationality he is.

Hubby's maternal grandmother was also adopted and I'm slowly narrowing down the possibilities.

It's been well worth it so far and a whole lot of fun.

I'm so sorry for your loss, but also, happy you got to be with her while you could.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter