Ancestry

I love this show too.

I would like to do ancestry since my family comes from Puerto Rico which is a huge melting pot. My great grandfather was Afro Puerto Rican. My great grandma had blond hair and blue eyes. In my family we come in all colors, hair textures, eye colors, etc. I’m curious to see my line.

My xh is Central American (born in USA) and he recently did it. He was 44% Native American and about 40% Iberian peninsula and mixes of Asia, Africa, and i believe Palestinian.

I would like for my kids do it when they are a bit older.

In case you're interested ----

Finding Your Roots went into Afro Puerto Rican roots this season mi*vida*loca. I am not completely certain who the guest was in that lineage, but I believe it might have been Carmelo Anthony.

EDIT: There was more than one person with Puerto Rican roots this season. But I simply can't place it. :goodvibes

Last edited:
I purchased the 23 and me test for my sister, husband and myself. It was half off on Amazon for Black Friday. We had been talking about doing it for awhile and couldn’t resist the price. My sister and I were joking hopefully we are still related at Christmas. We’ve always been told that we are Irish Italian so it will be interesting to see the results.

In case you're interested ----

Finding Your Roots went into Afro Puerto Rican roots this season mi*vida*loca. I am not completely certain who the guest was in that lineage, but I believe it might have been Carmelo Anthony.

EDIT: There was more than one person with Puerto Rican roots this season. But I simply can't place it. :goodvibes

I need to find that episode. Thanks !

Ancestrydna kit is on sale for $55 on amazon. I ordered it.
Oh, I wish I would have waited. I ordered from Ancestry.com last week for $59 plus shipping and it says it's not coming until next week. With Prime I could have got it in two days with free shipping.

I never knew my grandfather who was white and all these years I thought I was 1/4 German but in actuality I'm 1/4 English/Irish.

My wife's birth father was a non entity in her life but I think she's curious what her background is.

I just got a bunch of the 23 and me for my family cause I tried AncestryDNA and am curious of the difference and since I have a sister she and I would be the same essentially.

My oldest wants to do his, he's taking biology this semester and loves anything DNA related. I don't expect any surprises in ours, my parents were both into geneology and have traced back several generations. Both my maternal and paternal grandmothers were daughters of the American revolution (DAR) members.

My husband and his sister did theirs, not too many surprises there either. The only disappointment was that their dad always claimed that he was 1/4 Cherokee. Neither test showed a drop of Native American blood.

I get tickled at all the people who say they are surprised that they have Scandinavian DNA. If you think about it, the Vikings were everywhere. If you are of European descent and don't have Scandinavian DNA, it probably just means that your ancestors could run really fast.

My oldest wants to do his, he's taking biology this semester and loves anything DNA related. I don't expect any surprises in ours, my parents were both into geneology and have traced back several generations. Both my maternal and paternal grandmothers were daughters of the American revolution (DAR) members.

My husband and his sister did theirs, not too many surprises there either. The only disappointment was that their dad always claimed that he was 1/4 Cherokee. Neither test showed a drop of Native American blood.

I get tickled at all the people who say they are surprised that they have Scandinavian DNA. If you think about it, the Vikings were everywhere. If you are of European descent and don't have Scandinavian DNA, it probably just means that your ancestors could run really fast.

I read that many people believe they have Native American in their family but for most people it doesn't show up.

I did my ancestry last month. Now they email to tell me about long lost cousins. I have a huge family so my guess is most of them are not long lost anything. The first guy I did look up on facebook. I'm pretty sure I got the right guy because he seemed legit insane (which seems to be a perquisite for one side of my family) . I will not be contacting him lol

I'm going to have my kids take one of these tests. Their dad always says he is Native American I secretly want to put it to the test lol

I am 46% Scandinavian, almost surprised it wasn't higher. I knew my dads grandparents, all of them, were all Scandinavian. Most came in the early 1900's. I was surprised that my mom didn't have any, she was Irish and English with a few other weird bits sprinkled in there.

I think I was most disappointing that it didn't show any African ancestry. I thought everyone had some. Maybe I am an alien. (or wrong lol)

I read that many people believe they have Native American in their family but for most people it doesn't show up.

That's true, or I wonder if it may show up as something else depending on where the Native Americans originally came from. In his case, I think he was just full of it.

There's an article on this exact issue. It's called Native Ancestry, it's just not that into you! :rotfl2:
Not joking, perfection in a title.

Also, do not forget that not everyone gets the same DNA components coming from parents. I read one article where a family were convinced that they had native ancestry. Nothing came up for the three of them. They were disappointed and thought the stories were just that - stories, and then they tested their fourth sibling.

And voila! She/he had it, the native component.

Last edited:
There's an article on this exact issue. It's called Native Ancestry, it's just not that into you! :rotfl2:
Not joking, perfection in a title.

Also, do not forget that not everyone gets the same DNA components coming from parents. I read one article where a family were convinced that they had native ancestry. Nothing came up for the three of them. They were disappointed and thought the stories were just that - stories, and then they tested their fourth sibling.

And voila! She/he had it in their DNA.

I'll have to check that article out. I wonder if they had their younger sister tested (she's developmentally delayed so not sure if she would go for it) if it would show up in hers. The 2 older siblings that did the test are blondes, the younger sister has dark hair and a reddish tint to her complexion. I always figured it was a story someone in a previous generation made up (the Native American blood) to explain a baby that didn't quite match the rest of the family and it just somehow stuck.

I'll have to check that article out. I wonder if they had their younger sister tested (she's developmentally delayed so not sure if she would go for it) if it would show up in hers. The 2 older siblings that did the test are blondes, the younger sister has dark hair and a reddish tint to her complexion. I always figured it was a story someone in a previous generation made up (the Native American blood) to explain a baby that didn't quite match the rest of the family and it just somehow stuck.

Found it.

http://www.rootsandrecombinantdna.com/2015/03/native-american-dna-is-just-not-that.html

Interesting topic. I shall keep up with it to see people's experiences.
A sister-in-law's husband (we'll call him "Fred") found an "Uncle" that neither he, nor Fred's Dad, know existed via Ancestry DNA. The new-found relative was born and raised in the same Florida town where Fred's grandfather had relatives that he spent a summer with as a teenager. It seems that Fred's grandfather had a "romance" with a local girl during his summer spent in Florida and the "Uncle" was a result of that fling. Fred contacted the guy in Florida to try and figure out their relationship, and after each one started asking their families questions were able to piece together what had transpired. The key players in this affair are deceased, and there are no hard feelings about the discovery.. and a certain degree of amusement.

I had a "near-miss" in this area thanks to Ancestry DNA. I woman contacted me and said that Ancestry DNA had determined that her husband Jon and I likely had a shared great-grandparent. His family was from the Detroit, Michigan area. I was a little worried because I had a great-grandfather (Art) that spent a long time in Detroit that was a bit of a "hot mess" when it came to women (and alcohol). I feared that perhaps Jon's great-grandmother and Art had "hooked up" at some point. But my fears were unfounded as we then found a common person in my and Jon's tree (from Art's 1st wife's side of the family). The relationship was a bit more distant than three generations and we appear to have more than a average amount of DNA in common for the actual generational separation.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter