And I am here for the Food...A Disney SOMETIME (AUG '20 mini trip) Report (9/10 update)

but if there are no fireworks it would make me a bit sad
I would only be disappointed because we'll be there the 4th but otherwise no fireworks won't bother us one bit. Really from the TONS of rumors going around about what the changes may possibly be the only one that bothers me is the possibility of being forced to wear a mask. I think if lots of rides and attractions didn't open then depending what they were that would be a deal breaker but I'm also fine with no face character meets which seems to be a big one. We'll all have to wait and see but seriously I wish something would be announced already!
guess my biggest concern is that for now, if I travel outside of the state, I would need to self quarantine for some time so that makes travel a little more difficult.
Have they said for sure that will stick for you guys through August??? Seems so premature if they did yeah I wouldn't want to have to do that. Would it be an unpaid quarantine?

I would only be disappointed because we'll be there the 4th but otherwise no fireworks won't bother us one bit. Really from the TONS of rumors going around about what the changes may possibly be the only one that bothers me is the possibility of being forced to wear a mask. I think if lots of rides and attractions didn't open then depending what they were that would be a deal breaker but I'm also fine with no face character meets which seems to be a big one. We'll all have to wait and see but seriously I wish something would be announced already!

Have they said for sure that will stick for you guys through August??? Seems so premature if they did yeah I wouldn't want to have to do that. Would it be an unpaid quarantine?

Yes masks outside...in summer...in Florida...no thank you. I could do without all of the rides...I guess...but I don't know. I wish there would be an announcement at well...so that I could maybe plan something.

I highly suspect the quarantine if you leave the state thing may be around for a while. Which sucks because I can't even see my own family who live out of state...and visiting them and then having to self quarantine for few weeks...would make it not worth it to leave the state. I don't know...I'm trying not to think too much about it and yes I'd have the choice to use my leave so I would get paid.

So out of curiousity I tested out the current situation regarding only borrowing up to 50% of DVC points right now...and yep that's a thing for sure. I looked into a week in August but with the DVC point restrictions in place I would only be able to do about 2 nights. So instead I'm looking at either Pop Century or Shades of Green instead, with Pop costing me about $300 more than Shades for a week long trip. Flights are not terrible for that timeframe either. Now if only I knew if the parks we want to visit will even be OPEN for that timeframe! :)

Of course then I think if I take any time off at all, it should be to visit my family who I haven't seen in a while. My two youngest nephews have birthdays in June and at this point I'm not sure I'll even be able to see them for that.

Here in Maryland, our numbers are pretty ugly...but are starting to look better. The governor yesterday (who is awesome BTW) did open up parks and golf, tennis and boating once again...so I'm surely hoping that more tennis will be happening soon. I know the USTA has cancelled all league play right now, but I'd be happy to do a little social playing. I've managed to play twice over the last two weeks on some private courts and it was awesome...felt so great to get out there again. I so miss it. He is suggesting that possible we could open up the state at a "Phase 1" before the end of the month. That's certainly good news.

In the meantime I'll continue to plan a potential August trip. Last night I even snagged a dining reservation for Storybook Dinner which I really would love to do again...even though it's an 8:15pm reservation. So August is looking like a possibility...but we'll have to see for sure.

Here are our photos from our visit in October:

Last edited:
We live in Georgia so we are opening up. My husband has been playing tennis the whole time but I took a break for a month off - started back this week. Our Spring league was canceled and even if the have a Summer leagues , the club I belong to most likely won’t allow it . They are trying to have fun events with small groups among members .

Hoping you get to go in August. I am hoping to go September. I made my reservation last summer with no idea this year would turn out like it has .

We live in Georgia so we are opening up. My husband has been playing tennis the whole time but I took a break for a month off - started back this week. Our Spring league was canceled and even if the have a Summer leagues , the club I belong to most likely won’t allow it . They are trying to have fun events with small groups among members .

Hoping you get to go in August. I am hoping to go September. I made my reservation last summer with no idea this year would turn out like it has .

Yeah I don't see the USTA leagues resuming for a while here. I'm on a team...but I don't see matches happening. I am having fun doing some fun tennis, seems plenty of people are interested in getting together. I played Thursday after work and am playing again Wednesday with the same group I've played with a few times. Unfortunately we are having CRAZY cold weather here...I can't believe this is May. I could really use some warm weather and Florida sunshine right now.

I hope your September trip happens!

Reactions: DLo
So today has been designated as set up the new laptop day for me. My old laptop was slowly fading away and when our robot vacuum knocked it off the end table recently the charging port was damaged to the point that I have to be very careful when trying to use it with the charge port and I was afraid it would soon reach the point where it will stop charging rendering it useless. I hated to spend money on another one...but this new one is nice and I am looking forward to seeing how well it handles my video processing and creations. However I have to get a lot of files off our network storage and over to this new laptop...and that is taking time.

So regarding booking another trip...still nothing in the works though I would love to consider August. Realistically I think we are looking at next spring or summer...but if I could fit in a Thanksgiving week trip this year (we are due for one) I might try to do that.

It just seems so strange to not be stalking airline sites, hotel sites, car rental sites and Disney sites to look at the possibilities. I still have some stuff booked for August but we'll see how that goes. I can barely tolerate wearing a mask in the stores...no way I could do it all day in a park.

In other breaking news, this happened today:

Our June 28th Italy and Greece cruise has been officially cancelled...totally expected it would happen but now it is reality. Probably won't get the refund until sometime in August (they mention a 60 to 90 day process) and we have no backup plan as of yet. This was a huge trip planned with lots of Italy and Disney Paris as well...don't know when we can plan it again. Of course I had the 3 kids' passports renewed back in Feb/Mar and have yet to get those...so not like we could have left the country anyway. At this point I'd love to just leave the state, maybe see my family in North Carolina. Oh well.

Our June 28th Italy and Greece cruise has been officially cancelled...totally expected it would happen but now it is reality. Probably won't get the refund until sometime in August (they mention a 60 to 90 day process) and we have no backup plan as of yet. This was a huge trip planned with lots of Italy and Disney Paris as well...don't know when we can plan it again. Of course I had the 3 kids' passports renewed back in Feb/Mar and have yet to get those...so not like we could have left the country anyway. At this point I'd love to just leave the state, maybe see my family in North Carolina. Oh well.
Yeah.....not surprised unfortunately :( I have tons of August cruise clients and am REALLY hoping at least one or two lines restart then but I have a feeling it'll be at least Sept.if not later. As far as your refund I know guests have been getting them around the 4 week mark in general but that can always change.
I hope you get to reschedule when this is all in the past!

So out of curiosity I thought I'd see when my Universal AP expires. I knew it was set to end sometime in March but I wasn't sure if it had been extended due to the current rules. It sucks that there is no date at all on it and no easy way to find it but I logged in and put in the information and sure enough it is good until the end of June. Of course I had to next look up possible flights...probably could fly down to Florida for about $20 RT on Spirit. Boy it is tempting but I'd rather see how things go for the opening days first...and how that's all going to work. I'm sure @ariane37 will be able to let me know since she will be there.

Tempting.

So looks like the parks will open in July after all now...wow. I'm still on the fence about a possible August trip, only because I have passes and plans to visit Busch Gardens Tampa and SeaWorld and I'd have to try to abide by all the new rules while there. I like the Disney mention of some places were you could take masks off and rest a bit...just wearing mine today in a local store after walking in 75+ degree weather...was uncomfortable. I know my family couldn't do it all day long so a trip for us may be much farther in the future.

It will be interesting to see how things go though. So I wonder if @ariane37 will now be moving back her July 4th trip a few days??

So looks like the parks will open in July after all now...wow. I'm still on the fence about a possible August trip, only because I have passes and plans to visit Busch Gardens Tampa and SeaWorld and I'd have to try to abide by all the new rules while there. I like the Disney mention of some places were you could take masks off and rest a bit...just wearing mine today in a local store after walking in 75+ degree weather...was uncomfortable. I know my family couldn't do it all day long so a trip for us may be much farther in the future.

It will be interesting to see how things go though. So I wonder if @ariane37 will now be moving back her July 4th trip a few days??
Hopefully going to update my PTR today! I have had a back up July trip booked so now we move to that ::yes::

There's no way I can wear a mask all day in the parks. Like you, I can't stand it after 15 minutes in the grocery store...
So, how are there going to be sections where you can take your mask off and still social distance? I like the idea but I just don't see how Disney will be able to pull that off...I read it and I was like :confused3

😬

There's no way I can wear a mask all day in the parks. Like you, I can't stand it after 15 minutes in the grocery store...
So, how are there going to be sections where you can take your mask off and still social distance? I like the idea but I just don't see how Disney will be able to pull that off...I read it and I was like :confused3

😬
Yes I'm wondering the same thing...like maybe small tent areas were individual families can go to take a break. Of course provided you can eat inside, you would have masks off for that as well. It will be interesting for sure.

The new plan...tentatively

So I just have this need to have something planned out, even tentatively...so yesterday I booked 5 nights at Shades of Green for August...and then tonight I rebooked it for a bit later in August. The thought would be:

1. Try to eat at some the restaurants we had planned back in March
  2. Attempt a visit to SeaWorld and BG Tampa given the new restrictions (we already have tickets...hope they are still good)
  3. Spend some time at the Shades of Green pool
It is a somewhat similar plan to what we had back in March. There's no reason to try to do Disney parks right now...I just can't see that happening with all the current restrictions. However we could try to do SeaWorld and BG Tampa instead and eat at maybe a few of the Disney signature restaurants.

I'm sad about the lack of evening fireworks for sure, as it would have been nice to view those from Bay Lake Tower. Still I think if we can get a quick trip before school starts up again for the kids...and by "school" we don't even know if that will be in person or virtual at this point of course...it will be a nice end to the summer.

So in breaking news...we actually received our RC cruise refund yesterday...which was really fast! I totally expected it to take much longer. Too bad it was just a credit on my card which isn't as helpful as if it was cash, but a refund is a refund. It's a card we use all of the time so having the credit is fine.

I also cancelled Shades of Green...yes already. I'm just not ready to book something that I'll have to track already I guess. I'm still hoping for a trip...but I'm not sure it will really happen this year.

We are going to visit my brother and family in North Carolina very soon, so at least there is that. A few days hanging with my family and lounging by their pool works for me and if we are lucky their horse (who is pregnant and due any day now) will give birth while we are there. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!