And now for a change of plans-A Dec '18 Solo TR - COMPLETED 9/19

Yeah, just the AP tag. I’m not sure if I used it on my first 2 trips! I saw on Etsy though some people make custom ones, so that could be in my future!

I never thought of it as a MB loss-saver. I feel stupid now! :laughing:

Haha, no! I think I finally decided they aren’t my favorite. Just my own personal taste though!

I do love them... but... there are soooo many yummy things to eat at Disney!

They're a little bit evil that way.
In a good way.

ish.

Thanks! I go a bit Etsy crazy before every trip!

:laughing: Nothing wrong with that!

I never thought of it as a MB loss-saver. I feel stupid now! :laughing:
Haha, yeah! Just make sure both ends are looped through it and it stays secure! Since I had 2 AP bands/sliders in February, I had my mom use one of them (even though she's far from an AP), but she totally appreciated it! I'm also such a klutz, I would have lost so many bands without them!

But these are the type from etsy (they have lots of them, plus even personalized text):
il_794xN.1787142747_pbsa.jpg

Haha, yeah! Just make sure both ends are looped through it and it stays secure!

Hmm.... I'm not sure which side I put it on. All I know is it's the side that's impossible to photograph while wearing it.

But these are the type from etsy (they have lots of them, plus even personalized text):

Cool. Might have to check that out.

Ok, so huge apologies for the 4-month delay in updating this TR! First I needed to finish up my Paris Trip Report, then of course I had 2 WDW trips since then (haven't even started one of those TRs). So, I'm going to alternate between this one and the EPIC May TR. I definitely NEED to get this one done!

Day 1 - Cute Animals, Real and Furry!

So, a quick recap of my morning so far:
-Met Mickey & Minnie
-Wandered around the Tree of Life trails

Now the rest of it:

It was over to Africa. I really liked the Africa decorations made out of “found objects”. (Also, did you hear the recent news about the Christmas decorations this year at AK? I’m sooo excited!)

MIIJYBv.jpg
ubYqcTT.jpg
sptlNe1.jpg
FMwWHcW.jpg

Time for my first FP of the trip: Kilimanjaro Safaris. I normally ask for the driver’s side of the car (it’s closer to the hippos, elephants, and lions), but had talked a bit with the lady in front of me in line and I ended up getting directed into their row, so thought it’d be rude to ask for another row (her kid said he loved elephants, so I let them know about the Caring for Giants tour, which she and her husband seemed pretty excited for and were going to check out if there was any availability).
7Tko3Pl.jpg
VKKuXCc.jpg

A nice safari, nothing too crazy, except Baby Augustus was chilling on one of the islands, which I would have had a great view of if I had sat on the other side of the truck! Oh well…

Can you find the Okapi butt?
ihelqpC.jpg

Male hippos sunbathing and lounging
YzzoSTe.jpg
fm0tPRa.jpg

Lady hippos and Augustus
nUc8Sdn.jpg
zR6oH3u.jpg
PLnWJTN.jpg
rUelf40.jpg

A keeper was checking something by the Alligators
yIwixSD.jpg

Sleepy dogs
gHnEsa2.jpg

Savanna, including a baby Eland
5Tm1nnh.jpg
LS1ozBu.jpg
JYnY13b.jpg

Giraffes were hanging out in the trees.
bTHadjg.jpg

Elephants
xfXF0oi.jpg
4YbaWsk.jpg

A cheetah was awake – can you find her?
UMVK0Fh.jpg
730Huh4.jpg

One of the lionesses was walking around
09kZgrU.jpg
rXSGbZ9.jpg
leyzAIq.jpg

Pumba
gZDIc1I.jpg

Rhinos chilling in the dirt
E016cz1.jpg

Ostrich checking out the “Disney-real” eggs
wdXnHfV.jpg

Oryx
05lJy5D.jpg

After finishing the safari, I headed to the Gorilla Falls trail for an awesome walk.
aadhJbn.jpg

You can’t really tell but the monkey was cradling a teeny baby! She even leaped around the enclosure with the baby! I can imagine the baby was like – don’t let go, don’t let go!
m3RFADD.jpg

The hippo was having a snack (I couldn’t tell if it was one of the Wild Africa Trek groups or not), which was fun to watch.
LmYn66L.jpg

And the zebra foals were hanging out close to the viewing area. There was even a meerkat who wanted to get a better look at their cuteness! (My previous WDW visit was March when I could tell one of the momma zebras was pregnant, and she gave birth a couple weeks later.)
IeHTJi5.jpg
SXFwW7I.jpg
jFXYvmV.jpg

But, nothing could compare to the gorillas! (my photos don’t do it justice unfortunately because there were a lot of people) First, when I walked up I could see the whole family was hanging out by the glass! The dad looked a bit awkward though!
nw8twxD.jpg
aDjGxqj.jpg

Then one of the baby boys (gorilla A) just decided to be a cheeky guy and threw some hay in the face of his :sad1:brother (Gorilla B)!
i7YN4sZ.jpg
VMlIxpw.jpg

His brother was having none of that, so literally punched the other guy in the face and he fell back! Gorilla A then ran across the glass and picked up one of the trash can lids and brought it back to his spot, collecting a bunch of hay and eating it off the lid as a plate! (The whole time, both moms and the sister were just ignoring them all.)
RL9JHIu.jpg
lKzbhR5.jpg
ikUOInq.jpg

I think he was still being a bit of a jokester, and the dad finally got fed up and raced across the glass! Like full-on – “Stop that S***!” One of the moms just then gathered a bunch of her hay and left the scene, like “I’m not dealing with this anymore”! It was totally awesome!
PRqpGRn.jpg

I'm guessing one of the momma gorillas was actually pregnant at this time, but I didn't realize it. She gave birth when I was at WDW, but I never got to see Baby Grace :sad1:

After finishing watching this family have the cutest interactions, it was time for breakfast. Yup – didn’t you notice I hadn’t actually eaten anything yet this day!

I had booked a Tusker House “shoulder” reservation. It was a 10:30am reservation; Tusker House serves breakfast until 11am, then switches over to lunch. So doing a 10:30 meant I could get the breakfast foods and then go back up for lunch foods (while only paying the breakfast price)!

I liked the decorations in the outside waiting area, which lit up at night. I think I had a very short wait-as in I started to sit down but before my butt could touch the seat, my table was ready!
eaFfyY1.jpg
31cPkn3.jpg

Breakfast food spread
u6O7LBy.jpg
RpHwVrj.jpg
0blsXWv.jpg
n7zAAcN.jpg
obaU7Uv.jpg
VexAyIw.jpg
ZbRkmpi.jpg
LroVbMb.jpg
OaCBQs7.jpg
wvrFZGX.jpg
TAPhNUn.jpg
Q8YNgee.jpg
O1iYhrL.jpg
XlJ4nCS.jpg
GacelVN.jpg

My breakfast plates
pE9JVcM.jpg
qkrUqd0.jpg

At 11am, they move the remaining breakfast items to the center. I know they continue to make some of it (like waffles), but adjust focus to lunch foods. But I love the wall of waffle makers!
GyEsnu1.jpg
yAG5Cx7.jpg

And lunch food spread. Though I was disappointed my favorite pearl couscous was no longer there. Does anyone know if it was just too early, or did they take it off the menu?
HdEy2o6.jpg
pmJmcvh.jpg
wv0uqq7.jpg
cvdcc38.jpg
ppBsIJe.jpg
QqCZnCy.jpg
uHCRQjy.jpg

Lunch plate
CbS2fdm.jpg

During the meal I got to have some fun interactions with my safari buddies. They all really liked my shirt. I think Mickey asked if I got to see a baby giraffe on the safari, which I didn’t, but he was excited when I said I got to see the baby hippo!
ZPzNXhO.jpg
NX8tcxn.jpg
fJRIPPd.jpg
NeryZi1.jpg

Thankfully I had other people willing to take my photos, since I suck at selfies, especially with characters! I think my server did one, the character handler walking around did one, and then a girl sitting at the table next to me took 2 (and I returned the favor taking photos of her and her friend with the characters).

Overall, I liked the meal. Though I don’t know how well buffets work for me. I feel like I don’t eat enough at one moment, instead doing better with more, smaller meals!

Tusker House TiW savings: $3.80
Total savings so far: $8.70

Before I left I did check out the Tusker House tree, which had nice decorations that felt in-theme.
uUluuOb.jpg
laFIUTc.jpg

Next up was Festival of the Lion King. I had a FP, though don’t know how helpful that was, because there was a longer line to scan in at the FP point, but they had already let in the standby people, so if I had just went thru standby, I could have gotten in earlier. Oh well! Still made it in despite basically getting in line a couple minutes before showtime!
cbSp2sx.jpg
bw7zB33.jpg

I ended up in the Lion section, probably in almost the same seat as the previous time I had seen it in September! Next time I need to get in line earlier and go to a different area!

But overall the show was great as usual.
DGUqYEm.jpg
yp79gF6.jpg
t8Us8Iz.jpg
TK422TO.jpg

Fzmr6nT.jpg

Afterwards, it was Pandora time, and my favorite WDW ride: Flight of Passage! I think I made it on super quick, including skipping most of the ramp line as they needed a single rider to finish up a room! I love that ride so much, and each time feels different! Make sure to request different seating areas whenever you get the chance, as every seat I’ve had has been awesome! I think this time I was on the top left corner.

lCHV6WO.jpg
BgjKLrc.jpg
dIT7Xhz.jpg
kSmNCbn.jpg
SxVHhcD.jpg

Coming out, I got to see the new “character”, which honestly, was pretty lame. I didn’t bother to wait around and watch.
ZVjvxZj.jpg

Pandora Christmas tree?
tii1TlE.jpg

I then went and rode Navi River Journey. And something weird happened-I wasn’t totally squished in the boat! I got in the back row with 2 other ladies, but it was enough room that we weren’t pressed up against each other. And the front row just had a woman and her little kid (basically on her lap). Whatever, I’m not complaining!
rTFE6n0.jpg
igKzmvF.jpg
n8KyZgf.jpg
6YlSqo1.jpg
d3Nf3dd.jpg

I actually like this ride-it’s very beautiful and calm. Though I agree with others that I wouldn’t bother with a long line!

Found the machinery in the woods being taken over by moss
wAERlsA.jpg

I realized I also stopped for some Photopass pictures
Y1IKr1a.jpg
QbnOOKc.jpg

Last edited:

Now it was time for a mid-day break! I had been going pretty hard that day and was still dealing with jetlag, so a break at the lovely AKL would be nice!

So, I was on my way out, walking past the Tree of Life, and I realized it was just about time for the Flights of Wonder, which I had heard the guys on Radio Harambe podcast talk about (which, btw, if you haven’t checked out – do so! It’s an awesome Animal Kingdom centric podcast which gives so much great info). I got a great view and it was really an awesome thing to stop and see! I definitely recommend making an effort to stop and see this! It’s on the half-hour from 9:30 to 3:30 (minus 12:30) and you don’t need to get there early for a good spot!
2uQWT2k.jpg

A stop for some photopass pictures!
UN4w2rV.jpg
iGWBJmz.jpg
LuWVmIY.jpg

So, now I was heading out… but I decided to make a quick stop into Discovery Trading Company (the large shop on the East side of the pathway). Which didn’t exactly work out that fast, when I ended up buying an ornament, magic band from a disfriend, and some pins which had just been released the day before. I was worried about the ornament making it home in one piece since it was hand-blown glass, but luckily it did and had a prominent spot on the Christmas tree this year!
dePS0Mq.jpg
y1mRk6C.jpg
D4TAFwa.jpg
Os5PbNc.jpg

So, now I was going to go back and relax… but wait, another stop at Island Mercantile. I ended up getting the Animal Kingdom 4-parks necklace. I loved this line of merchandise and have the Disneyland and California Adventure necklaces, so I really wanted the AK one too. I also picked up the Disneyworld charm bracelet to go with my Disneyland charm bracelet.

So, now would I head out? Well, at least this time I made it over the bridge, but then I stopped for a moment to check out animals in the Oasis.
L4hroHY.jpg
3t1F0eF.jpg

That didn’t take too long, so I kept going, and finally made it past the turnstiles. Where I got distracted with the 20th anniversary photo op… so made a detour over there.
PCOFCfO.jpg

And another detour over to the tree to get some more photos!
lYgT3mP.jpg
yZsO9wN.jpg
2h4lS6O.jpg
BOBxhjg.jpg
zfCyGfg.jpg
FjnDnbo.jpg
FSBzte9.jpg
dBB80Bt.jpg
LMEjtvH.jpg
d9Dv5A0.jpg
oNC7T30.jpg

774E1J6.jpg
qJ8F0Ih.jpg

Ok, finally past security, started walking toward the buses… and a U-turn to check out the Outpost Shop. I ended up getting the 20th anniversary AK ornament (which I really love), and a shirt, which I also love.

FINALLY, 1.5 hrs after I initially planned (and a lot of $$ spent) I got to the buses. There was a short wait for a bus before I was on my way towards Animal Kingdom Lodge.

But of course, count on me to get distracted. The bus stops first at Kidani, so I decided to check out that building too…

tovcrdX.jpg
BwdgVCO.jpg
gK6CD5o.jpg
YNooNmQ.jpg
8BAzTSp.jpg
Y8FgTvi.jpg
6aonBV1.jpg

I liked Kidani, but I didn’t LOVE it like I do with Jambo House. The Jambo lobby is just so open and light, but the Kidani is smaller and feels darker. I did like how all the directions were “home” themed, which fits with the DVC. But who knows, I could end up staying there someday…

5ZlOmcl.jpg

I ended up walking back to Jambo House, partially to see how the walk is, and partially because the bus times didn’t indicate one was coming quickly (though I think I saw one pulling up as I walked down the sidewalk). So, finally, around 3pm, I made it back to my room (I think I did make a stop at the Mara to get a coke refill)! Definitely a bit of a delay for my mid-day break!

The second I came into my room I peeked out the window, and there was a giraffe walking around! Yay! That is the exact reason why I wanted a savannah view! I ended up pulling up the balcony chair and relaxed out there for a while. While I was there, the other 2 giraffes on that savannah came ambling up and I got to watch them all! It was just so awesome!

V6G81nd.jpg

uzBBN5B.jpg
cD5bSVO.jpg
UnckQEO.jpg
vxDATWX.jpg
nVgKfGR.jpg

I don’t exactly know how long I stayed out there, but it was a while! I even sacrificed another FoP FP I had picked up! I stayed until the giraffes decided to walk off. Then I went back inside and got cleaned up, plus a change of clothes to be more appropriate for my evening plans.

Coming up: an evening at Disney Springs

Wow! Full and amazing day at Animal
kingdom! I have a similar time booked for Tulare house, so it’s nice to hear you like it. I have 1010, thinking maybe I will try to push back to 1030..... we shall see

That gorilla interaction is amazing! So amazing when you really get to see animals interact in amazing ways! Seems like over all you had a pretty great animal day.

The giraffes outside the room just tops it off!

What a wonderful AK day. You did all my favorites including TH between breakfast and lunch!

Will you show your necklace and bracelet, I would love to see them.

I’m glad you were enjoying my giraffes 🦒 is this a giraffe??

Your gorilla encounter sounds like an exciting one!

Sounds like a good meal at TH- love the character pics!

Love your photos of the Christmas Tree!

Glad you were able to enjoy some time on the balcony of your room!

Sounds like a great first day at Animal Kingdom! Also, those views from your room are awesome! Exactly the appeal of AKL. Really looking forward to hearing about the rest of your stay there!!

I am lol'ing at how long -- and expensive -- a trip it was to get out of AK! You got so much done - I feel like you must be a FP wizard!

DGUqYEm.jpg
yp79gF6.jpg
t8Us8Iz.jpg
I then went and rode Navi River Journey. And something weird happened-I wasn’t totally squished in the boat! I got in the back row with 2 other ladies, but it was enough room that we weren’t pressed up against each other. And the front row just had a woman and her little kid (basically on her lap). Whatever, I’m not complaining!

rTFE6n0.jpg
igKzmvF.jpg
n8KyZgf.jpg
6YlSqo1.jpg
d3Nf3dd.jpg

Ugh I hope its a change in policy because I HATE that about this ride. Obviously if you are three people with family or friends its fine but as one or two people being squished with hot, sweaty strangers. That alone makes me not want to ride the ride! I even asked for a separate seat one time (I can get clausterphobic) and was told no. So I hope its changed!

The second I came into my room I peeked out the window, and there was a giraffe walking around! Yay! That is the exact reason why I wanted a savannah view! I ended up pulling up the balcony chair and relaxed out there for a while. While I was there, the other 2 giraffes on that savannah came ambling up and I got to watch them all! It was just so awesome!

I definitely need to stay at AKL again! I loved the savanna view! I mean how can you beat it, its like having DAK right outside your window!

Wow! Full and amazing day at Animal
kingdom! I have a similar time booked for Tulare house, so it’s nice to hear you like it. I have 1010, thinking maybe I will try to push back to 1030..... we shall see

That gorilla interaction is amazing! So amazing when you really get to see animals interact in amazing ways! Seems like over all you had a pretty great animal day.

The giraffes outside the room just tops it off!
10:10 would probably work just fine. Sometimes they can take a while to seat you (I was pretty fortunate), and I knew breakfast would be ending soon, so I needed to rush up and grab a plate. They were pretty on-schedule for not putting out all the lunch foods until 11 on the dot.

What a wonderful AK day. You did all my favorites including TH between breakfast and lunch!

Will you show your necklace and bracelet, I would love to see them.

I’m glad you were enjoying my giraffes 🦒 is this a giraffe??

Haha, yes that is a giraffe!

I forgot to take an actual photo of the jewelry, but here it is from google! I know I wore the necklace in May, but I don't remember if I wore the bracelet (I brought it with me though). They have a necklace like that for every US park - I have DL (though I can't seem to find it), DCA, and AK. And the bracelets from WDW and DLR. I gave some of the earings that came with them to Ariella's girls!

403891 403892

Your gorilla encounter sounds like an exciting one!

Sounds like a good meal at TH- love the character pics!

Love your photos of the Christmas Tree!

Glad you were able to enjoy some time on the balcony of your room!
I loved that balcony view! Very peaceful!
Sounds like a great first day at Animal Kingdom! Also, those views from your room are awesome! Exactly the appeal of AKL. Really looking forward to hearing about the rest of your stay there!!
I love AKL so much! That's where I ended up buying DVC, so I'll probably have many more stays there! I have a couple nights booked on each side of my March 2020 cruise, and possibly 1 night at the end of my NYE trip, but I'm hoping to switch that to Riveria next week when the 7 month window opens. I just love the peacefullness of the animals and it just feels like a different place!
I am lol'ing at how long -- and expensive -- a trip it was to get out of AK! You got so much done - I feel like you must be a FP wizard!
It's a lot easier for FPs when you are a solo visitor! Plus the reports of various FP drops always help!
Ugh I hope its a change in policy because I HATE that about this ride. Obviously if you are three people with family or friends its fine but as one or two people being squished with hot, sweaty strangers. That alone makes me not want to ride the ride! I even asked for a separate seat one time (I can get clausterphobic) and was told no. So I hope its changed!

I definitely need to stay at AKL again! I loved the savanna view! I mean how can you beat it, its like having DAK right outside your window!
It may have been a change! In February, my mom and I met my friend Zach and his dad. Zach and his dad are both VERY tall, so we knew all 4 of us in one row wouldn't work well. So, they ended up giving us a boat to ourselves and we weren't all squished in! Maybe they had to wait a bit for the crowds to die down for new Pandora rides?

Holy Update Lady!!!!

I don't think I have even seen him..

Ostrich checking out the “Disney-real” eggs
wdXnHfV.jpg
I said to Andy once that those weren't real and he didn't believe me!!!

I think he was still being a bit of a jokester, and the dad finally got fed up and raced across the glass! Like full-on – “Stop that S***!” One of the moms just then gathered a bunch of her hay and left the scene, like “I’m not dealing with this anymore”! It was totally awesome!
We say the gorillas do something like that, where it was just like a human family. So, fun.

During the meal I got to have some fun interactions with my safari buddies. They all really liked my shirt. I think Mickey asked if I got to see a baby giraffe on the safari, which I didn’t, but he was excited when I said I got to see the baby hippo!
I can't wait to do Tusker House in December!

Coming out, I got to see the new “character”, which honestly, was pretty lame. I didn’t bother to wait around and watch.
ZVjvxZj.jpg
I think my next post will include one of these guys. Gwen had a good time with him.

Pandora Christmas tree?
tii1TlE.jpg
Didn't they announce that Pandora would be decorated this year as well? How will that work? I guess there are humans on the plant now? right? I only watched the movie once.

I actually like this ride-it’s very beautiful and calm. Though I agree with others that I wouldn’t bother with a long line!
We have only riden this once. I keep waiting for the wait times to get lower. And keep waiting.

So, now I was heading out… but I decided to make a quick stop into Discovery Trading Company (the large shop on the East side of the pathway).
I am glad to hear that we aren't the only ones who start heading out and it turns into a 2 hour event!

FINALLY, 1.5 hrs after I initially planned (and a lot of $$ spent) I got to the buses. There was a short wait for a bus before I was on my way towards Animal Kingdom Lodge.
Just how Disney likes it!

Def on our list! I def want to have giraffes outside of my room one day!

Holy Update Lady!!!!
Haha, I know! The weather was annoying for Memorial Day, so we stayed home and I did some trip reporting!
I said to Andy once that those weren't real and he didn't believe me!!!
So, on the Wild Africa Trek, they confirmed they weren't real. But they aren't just there for show - they are to encourage the ostriches who lay actual eggs to do it in that area. That way the keepers can find them and remove them before they go rotten! The ostriches don't always comply, but it does have a purpose!
Didn't they announce that Pandora would be decorated this year as well? How will that work? I guess there are humans on the plant now? right? I only watched the movie once.
In the movie, there was the mining group and the research group on the planet. After the war/battles, the research group was allowed to stay and the mining group was sent back to Earth. On AK's Pandora, its supposed to take place 50 yrs later, where a group of humans who respect the planet and nature have started doing eco-tours. So, some of them are stationed on Pandora and they bring their own celebrations, including Christmas! I'm interested to see how they do it! And if they ever do something on Batuu (like the Life Day from the Star Wars Holiday movie)! Though I would imagine it would take some time before they considered decorating for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!