And now for a change of plans-A Dec '18 Solo TR - COMPLETED 9/19

You are making me SO excited for Christmas again at Disney :) And I was finally able to book my flights today, so I feel WAY better!!!

Can't wait to hear from you after the weekend!!! Looking SO forward to hearing all about SWGE!

And PS...THIS is a screen image??? not a real sunset??
Woohoo! I saw Southwest released their flights I figured a bunch of people would be booking!

And yeah - that's a screen. I saw it when we drove backstage for the Rhino tour the next day! They did a pretty good job of camouflage!

Disney Springs was really cool when we were there for Christmas as well. I really enjoyed it more than I thought I would and we ended up even doing it an extra time. Too bad about the poutine, I wish they would fix that, but there's just way to much good food at Disney Springs to not eat something that is great!

Hi Lesley,

I know I'm late to the party but I just had to join. I've never read one of your reports but I'm really enjoying it. We're planning to be there for about the same time this year. You have really got me excited for all the decorations.

I hope you had a blast at SWGE today and can't wait to read about it.

Last edited:
Wow I got really behind!

Also, did you hear the recent news about the Christmas decorations this year at AK?
No, what's the news??

Male hippos sunbathing and lounging
Wow that hippo is a mood

And the zebra foals were hanging out close to the viewing area. There was even a meerkat who wanted to get a better look at their cuteness! (My previous WDW visit was March when I could tell one of the momma zebras was pregnant, and she gave birth a couple weeks later.)
OH MY GOODNESS there is so much cuteness in those photos!!

I think he was still being a bit of a jokester, and the dad finally got fed up and raced across the glass! Like full-on – “Stop that S***!” One of the moms just then gathered a bunch of her hay and left the scene, like “I’m not dealing with this anymore”! It was totally awesome!
Hahaha I'm trying to picture this in my head. It's like a little gorilla sitcom.

Thankfully I had other people willing to take my photos, since I suck at selfies, especially with characters! I think my server did one, the character handler walking around did one, and then a girl sitting at the table next to me took 2 (and I returned the favor taking photos of her and her friend with the characters).
So nice! Bless them

I had a FP, though don’t know how helpful that was, because there was a longer line to scan in at the FP point, but they had already let in the standby people, so if I had just went thru standby, I could have gotten in earlier
#disneylogic

I even thought it was a super cool sunset, but I later realized it was just screens behind the trees!
Oh boooo

Sorry-my photos don’t do it justice, but make sure to get there at night - the lights are soo lovely!
Wow it really does look beautiful!

Before we left, Raeven made me dance with her, and, well…I don’t dance (well at least)! But it was interesting, we just weren’t drunk enough to have too much fun (and by not drunk enough, I wasn’t really even tipsy – it’s too expensive for that!)!
Hahahaha that's amazing :P

I love all your photos of the AK tree- I had never looked at all the details that close but I love them so much.

but unfortunately I didn’t speak up and he dropped me at the west loop when I wanted to be at the east loop (and thats the place I put as my destination).

As far as I know that's the only place Uber will drop you off. I had heard they could drop you off on the other side, but when we first started using Uber there the CM's made it clear we could only go there to get one, and I've only ever been dropped off there too. Have they let you be dropped off on the other side in the past though? It would be super useful if they did.

Snowman macaron – Very yummy, even if it did get a bit squished before I ate it

I like that one too!

I don’t regret getting it, but the gravy still isn’t steaming hot like it should be (I went to undergrad in Montreal so have lots of experience with poutine – basically the gravy should be hot enough to make the cheese all melty).

I still like their poutine, but I agree melty cheese is always good.

The cheesecake pops were actually tiny for how much they cost! And the bubblegum whipped cream was just weird!

They were tiny for the price, and that whipped cream :sad2:

The entertainment was…interesting. There was a band with a lead singer dressed up in 20s attire.

You could say that :rotfl:

Before we left, Raeven made me dance with her, and, well…I don’t dance (well at least)!

I can't dance either :rotfl:

we just weren’t drunk enough to have too much fun (and by not drunk enough, I wasn’t really even tipsy – it’s too expensive for that!)! (Though one lady did give each of us a hug and kiss on the cheek... so some people can definitely get drunk there)

That lady was sooo drunk :lmao: and the guy who was dancing with his girlfriend and fell down!

Disney Springs was really cool when we were there for Christmas as well. I really enjoyed it more than I thought I would and we ended up even doing it an extra time. Too bad about the poutine, I wish they would fix that, but there's just way to much good food at Disney Springs to not eat something that is great!
Yeah - I love how they really keep upping their game with the Christmas Tree Trail! I can't wait to see what they do this year!
Hi Lesley,

I know I'm late to the party but I just had to join. I've never read one of your reports but I'm really enjoying it. We're planning to be there for about the same time this year. You have really got me excited for all the decorations.

I hope you had a blast at SWGE today and can't wait to read about it.
SWGE was sooo amazing!

I'm sure you guys will all have a blast! Is the whole family going - I remember reading on your TR about it, but couldn't remember who the cast of characters was!
No, what's the news??
Lots more decorations in all of the lands. A Christmas Tree of Life Awakenings. Fun entertainment! Can't wait!
Hahaha I'm trying to picture this in my head. It's like a little gorilla sitcom.
Haha, it really was!
As far as I know that's the only place Uber will drop you off. I had heard they could drop you off on the other side, but when we first started using Uber there the CM's made it clear we could only go there to get one, and I've only ever been dropped off there too. Have they let you be dropped off on the other side in the past though? It would be super useful if they did.
This was the first time I was dropped off, so maybe that is true! I have been picked up in the other one though!
I can't dance either :rotfl:
Better than me at least!
That lady was sooo drunk :lmao: and the guy who was dancing with his girlfriend and fell down!
I forgot about that one!

Day 2 - December 1
Pre-trip plans for this day:
10:00 – Expedition Everest
-Maharajah Jungle Trek
11:00 – Up Close with Rhinos
12:00 – Yak and Yeti
12:30 – Up! show
12:30 – Kilimanjaro Safari FP (plan to use at 1:00ish)
1:30 – Flight of Passage FP

-Tree of Life Trails
-UP! show (if can’t make 12:30 show)
Check-in at Boardwalk Villas
5:30 – RnRC
6:00 – Tower of Terror
Sunset seasons
7:00 – Slinky Dog Dash

-Enjoy DHS at night
9:00 – Yachtsman Steakhouse dinner
-Explore YC and BC decorations

Part 1-Rhinos galore!

The next day I woke up and had to finish packing. I basically just threw everything into whatever place it would fit – both of my suitcases and my owners locker! Bell Services also arrived promptly to pick up my things for resort transfer.

For breakfast I ended up eating my snowman macaron (delicious despite being a bit crushed!) and my chocolate mousse pastry (I think I also ate these out on the balcony – trying to soak in every last bit of that view). The pastry was a bit rich (I’ve had it before though), so I think in the future I’ll stick to the mini Mickey Mousse dome cake.

7p6csbt.jpg
X6cw0eV.jpg

Before leaving AKL I did make one stop to find the Hippo Mail box, which I had seen on twitter. Adorable!

w7LWUip.jpg

At Christmas I love how they have PP photographers at the major resorts, so I stopped to get my photo in front of the AK tree before I left. I still can’t wait to come back again when it’s all decorated for Christmas!

BhrmA8m.jpg
F20rPQd.jpg
GXecYcM.jpg

I arrived quickly at Animal Kingdom. Originally I think I had hoped to do Dinosaur with a FP and Everest single rider, but I got there a bit later than expected (my fault), so I had to book it up to Africa for my tour. (I had cancelled the Dinosaur FP that morning, only to overhear someone at the bus stop saying Dinosaur was down, so I would have ended up with an anytime FP instead if I had just kept it…)

5c9Cj6V.jpg
3UxobIE.jpg

I headed right up to Africa for the Up Close with Rhinos tour. I booked this the day it became available and it was awesome (no photos allowed on the tour though). First they take you on a backstage bus over to the White Rhino barn. We got to see the backside of some of the habitats and it was pretty cool (that’s also when I realized the sunset was made with screens).

zAOJB8U.jpg

The White Rhino barn is right next to the Elephant barn and cheetah habitat (you could see it on the train to Rafiki’s). First, we stayed by the entrance and they gave us some info about Rhinos, including a family tree showing all the babies who were born at AK and where they are now (a bunch were sent over to Uganda to help start a colony over there). Right now there are 6 females and 1 male. The previous male wasn’t successful with breeding, so they just got a younger guy who’s just reached maturity, but he wasn’t out with the girls yet (though they were in the same barn, so getting used to each other). They hope it goes well with the boy because he’s only ever been with his mom or brother, so he’s not used to the commands yet, so they eventually plan to just release him into the safari with the girls and hope he follows along! All of the girls also are still able to breed (they did ultrasounds), so maybe we’ll get some baby rhinos in the next few years!

giphy.gif

We then went around to the side of the barn where one of the keepers had one of the ladies over by the fence. I think we met Jao, who is a bit older. They brought everyone up 2 by 2 to pet her on her side. And it was so cool! The keepers described her skin as a hairy basketball, which is super accurate! (well hairy and dirty!)

After everyone had gotten a chance to pet her (the keeper was feeding her the whole time to keep her by the fence), they brought out Lola too. She’s a bit younger but also very food focused. Jao gave her some pushes to prove her dominance! The keepers had them do the commands to open their mouths so we could see their teeth and tongues!

Eventually we had to say goodbye to the rhinos, but I loved the overall experience. It was also super affordable. We had a bunch of kids on the tour who were super cute and excited! One of them knew more about rhinos than anyone else on the tour!

The bus dropped us off back in Africa and I headed up to Asia, making a photo stop.

w0g8keG.jpg
CUvbkyY.jpg

I was pretty hungry and it was lunchtime. Lunch today was at Yak and Yeti. I had gotten a Landry’s card, so was seated almost immediately! Totally worth it!

fQREKyI.jpg
hPg9irL.jpg
9xbPKu4.jpg
IJW62PU.jpg

I ended up getting the Honey Chicken, which was good. And for dessert I got the won-tons. I wasn’t as big a fan of those – it was best if you got a bite of everything together, which was hard to do since it was so big!

eB3lMry.jpg
3xZfMRA.jpg
3LDc1rz.jpg

One thing that was cool, was the server had refilled my drink shortly before I was finished eating. Then when he brought me the check he offered to bring a to-go cup, so I was able to bring the rest of my soda with me!

Because I was using my welcome rewards money ($25, which totally offsets the initial cost of the card), you can’t use the AP or TiW discounts.

Overall, I did like Yak and Yeti, but it’s still not a must-do for me every trip. Honestly, I’m probably ok sticking to the Local Foods Café QS to save money and time!

After eating lunch I had initially hoped to check out the Maharajah Jungle Trek, but I knew it was getting close to the time for the next UP! A Great Bird Adventure show, which I had also wanted to check out. So I decided to skip the trek for now and head to the show.

qtxsDzK.jpg
i8yIN0U.jpg

I ended up getting a pretty good seat for the show. I could have gotten the first row of the second section but was hoping no one would sit in the front so I had a place to put my feet…yeah that was a silly thought! But the people right in front of me ended up not getting in my way for photos.

KxazCnQ.jpg

Right before the show started I got the room ready text on my phone that my Boardwalk Villas studio was ready! I had requested an upper floor with partial Boardwalk View (looking over the entrance courtyard). So I furiously tried to see where it was – first floor, pool view. Uhh, nope nope nope! Guess I’d need to make a stop at the front desk and have my fingers crossed.

As for the show itself – they did have a Diwali portion at the beginning, but it was pretty basic. I prefer the Blue 13 Dance Company at DCA’s Festival of the Holidays (they are basically a Bollywood dance company)!

B9MJsa6.jpg
9ccoVJ1.jpg
mnXuR1C.jpg

But I don’t feel a need to do the show again! Just a bit too corny with the Up characters. I mean, I’m happy I did it, but just it’s one and done for me! I actually liked the Tree of Life bird show so much more!

After finishing at the show I headed over to Africa, where it was time for my Kilimajaro Safaris FP. But first, it was time to meet up with my friend Zach (@AMusicLifeForMe)! We had some plans together over the next several days, and this was the start.

5Ht7o27.jpg

The safari was fun enough. Though we were on a truck with a bunch of cheerleaders, who could be a bit annoying, but at the same time they were also very excited about the animals, so I guess it could have been worse (but the driver had to tell them many many times to sit down, which was a bit tiresome)!

3a3jXHW.jpg
G8EBcA6.jpg

On the plains we got to see one of the baby giraffes, who was just chilling out! Very cute! (No Augustus sightings though)

F2hIhg1.jpg

I think the Mandrills were being pretty active, with one of the adults chasing after one of the babies.

wFIUIdr.jpg
Fol6Aga.jpg

We did end up with a big traffic jam at one point – I think the rhinos probably were in the roadway, so were stuck over by the elephant area (but not in a place where we could see the elephants). But as we came around the bend we did get a good view of Stella, who is still super adorable.

ENgQIQL.jpg

Two of the rhinos were hanging out, but I couldn’t tell if one of them was Jao (she has a little hole punch in her ear, but we were going too fast for me to really see if it was her – I did end up seeing her on a later safari).

f6BJMkB.jpg

J6hXS1k.jpg
DIzjebv.jpg
zhPV7pX.jpg

After our safari, Zach and I headed into Pandora for another flight on my favorite ride!

zj3V9wT.jpg

We made it quickly into the pre-show room (Zach wanted top row and I wanted center, so we actually requested that – normally I just take whatever single rider spot they give me). But during the pre-show, there was the longest delay I’ve ever had! The scanner also kept getting more and more pixilated (I can’t remember if it got bigger or smaller), but definitely further than I had ever seen – I wish I had taken more photos because it was sort of interesting.

vey3oHs.jpg
olHC0Jg.jpg
LKxTU2H.jpg

But another great ride!

On the way out, another Photopass stop

BfSGoyC.jpg
KLsaJQb.jpg

Coming up - Checking into Boardwalk Villas - would I be successful in changing my room?

I agree about the Up bird show. It is one and done for me . Hope to read you got your room changed.

Before leaving AKL I did make one stop to find the Hippo Mail box, which I had seen on twitter. Adorable!
Huh! didn't know about that.
We got to see the backside of some of the habitats and it was pretty cool
Cool!
(that’s also when I realized the sunset was made with screens).
I remember you mentioning that.
The White Rhino barn is right next to the Elephant barn and cheetah habitat
Did you get a glimpse of the cheetah?
And it was so cool! The keepers described her skin as a hairy basketball, which is super accurate! (well hairy and dirty!)
Cool!
The keepers had them do the commands to open their mouths so we could see their teeth and tongues!
I'll be darned. I guess I never thought that they'd obey commands.
We had a bunch of kids on the tour who were super cute and excited! One of them knew more about rhinos than anyone else on the tour!
:) Kids... Little brains are sponges.
I ended up getting the Honey Chicken, which was good.
I'm thinking of trying that in the fall.
Then when he brought me the check he offered to bring a to-go cup, so I was able to bring the rest of my soda with me!
I've had that happen to me at 50s. Nice.
But I don’t feel a need to do the show again! Just a bit too corny with the Up characters.
I've heard several people say the same thing.
The safari was fun enough. Though we were on a truck with a bunch of cheerleaders, who could be a bit annoying,
Not unlike a group of Epic ladies?

:rolleyes1

:duck:
(but the driver had to tell them many many times to sit down, which was a bit tiresome)!
:eek: I would think so!!

I booked the Rhino tour for August and Andi was really excited

I also agree about the UP bird show. One and done for us, it was cute but not great!

I love your shirt and pictures.

Very cute!

At Christmas I love how they have PP photographers at the major resorts, so I stopped to get my photo in front of the AK tree before I left. I still can’t wait to come back again when it’s all decorated for Christmas!

This is a great picture. Love your shirt.

Eventually we had to say goodbye to the rhinos, but I loved the overall experience. It was also super affordable. We had a bunch of kids on the tour who were super cute and excited! One of them knew more about rhinos than anyone else on the tour!

Sounds a great tour.

This does look good.

But I don’t feel a need to do the show again! Just a bit too corny with the Up characters. I mean, I’m happy I did it, but just it’s one and done for me! I actually liked the Tree of Life bird show so much more!

I haven't done the new show yet but I do want to try it.

I wish I had taken more photos because it was sort of interesting.

vey3oHs.jpg

Yes, very interesting.

I agree. This was an awesome tour at a great price. I really want to do the elephant tour next. :love:
Agreed! I hope they do even more of these types of tours - I would love to get a Giraffe one!
I agree about the Up bird show. It is one and done for me . Hope to read you got your room changed.
I never got to see the original show. I don't know why they needed to switch it out though.
Huh! didn't know about that.
Yeah-its in the back left corner near the ATM, behind the DVC kiosk.
Did you get a glimpse of the cheetah?
No, they weren't out. I think they have 4 cheetahs - two sister pairs? At least thats what they said on the Wild Africa Trek. I'm surprised they'd have a cheetah enclosure right next to the rhinos, but I guess the cheetahs aren't ones to take down Rhinos? The cages were even visible to each other - like the cheetahs had a simple chained fence and 10 ft away was the Rhino dirt/mud area with the large bars.
I'll be darned. I guess I never thought that they'd obey commands.
Not the most complicated commands - like open your mouth and you will get food soon enough!
Not unlike a group of Epic ladies?

:rolleyes1

:duck:
Haha - I'd say we were pretty good on the safari! And it was later in the day so we were all exhausted!
I booked the Rhino tour for August and Andi was really excited

I also agree about the UP bird show. One and done for us, it was cute but not great!

I love your shirt and pictures.
You're going to love the tour!
This is a great picture. Love your shirt.
Thanks! Part of my etsy collection!

That Hippo mailbox is extremely cute!

Thank you so much for the awesome review of Up Close with Rhinos. It looks like it was definitely an experience for the books!

I feel the same way about Y&Y. It's good, but I don't think I'll be rushing back any time soon.

Great photos of U!AGBA and KS!

Fingers crossed you get your room change!!

giphy.gif

Yeah-its in the back left corner near the ATM, behind the DVC kiosk.
Thanks!
No, they weren't out. I think they have 4 cheetahs - two sister pairs? At least thats what they said on the Wild Africa Trek. I'm surprised they'd have a cheetah enclosure right next to the rhinos, but I guess the cheetahs aren't ones to take down Rhinos? The cages were even visible to each other - like the cheetahs had a simple chained fence and 10 ft away was the Rhino dirt/mud area with the large bars.
Pretty sure a cheetah would have nothing to do with a rhino.
Not the most complicated commands - like open your mouth and you will get food soon enough!
Oddly enough, I respond to that too.

so I stopped to get my photo in front of the AK tree before I left
LOVE the shirt!

I had gotten a Landry’s card, so was seated almost immediately! Totally worth it!
I've heard multiple people who use this! And I love Y&Y so maybe I should give it a try.

Just a bit too corny with the Up characters. I mean, I’m happy I did it, but just it’s one and done for me!
Yeah I felt the same. I think there was more potential they could have tapped into.

But as we came around the bend we did get a good view of Stella, who is still super adorable.
Sooooo cute!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!