And now for a change of plans-A Dec '18 Solo TR - COMPLETED 9/19

Sounds like a great lunch at WCC- a good last minute decision!

Cute pics with the Pooh Gang and with the Tink lantern! Sounds like you had a fun time at the party!

Pretty pics at the GF. Glad you enjoyed lunch!

What a rush!

sorry
:headache:
Good plan! Have you found anything?
Yup, Away suitcases. They are pricey, but also come with a 100 day return policy, when they encourage you to actually use it during that time. And the customer service is really good, so if you ever do have a mishap and it gets damaged, they will ship you a new suitcase to your vacation destination!
I love how classically pretty the GF Christmas decorations are. Very elegant and reminds me of traditional holiday scenes.
They are very gorgeous! Though I think in my heart I prefer WL and AKL, I still like to visit the Grand.
Sounds like a great lunch at WCC- a good last minute decision!

Cute pics with the Pooh Gang and with the Tink lantern! Sounds like you had a fun time at the party!

Pretty pics at the GF. Glad you enjoyed lunch!
Yeah it was a nice party! I'd always recommend it to someone visiting during the holidays!

Yup, Away suitcases. They are pricey, but also come with a 100 day return policy, when they encourage you to actually use it during that time. And the customer service is really good, so if you ever do have a mishap and it gets damaged, they will ship you a new suitcase to your vacation destination!
Wow! Nice!
Lifetime guarantee?

Love that you caught the rainbow in your geyser photo! That is so frustrating getting to the launch and they cut the line right before you get there! Our hindsight always is 20/20 isn't it? The pano-photo you took of the tree is stunning! I love all the decor at the Grand, but I agree it is very busy there. I am shocked they dont keep the gingerbread house open until after Marathon weekend. Just a thought as I looked at the open to close dates. I also don't love the gingerbread. I was very disappointed. I think it is because it is dark chocolate verses milk chocolate and I think it made it taste a little bitter. It is definitely a personal preference, but I do not care for dark chocolate and i think that is why I didn't like it.

Wow! Nice!
Lifetime guarantee?
Yup! It covers anything (besides electronics - some of them come with mobile chargers in them), so shell, wheels, zippers, etc. And the zippers click into an integrated TSA lock, so you don't even need to worry about those! My co-worker took the "Bigger Carry-on" to China with him on a 9-day trip and didn't have any issues fitting everything... though he's a guy, so I'll probably need more space!
Love that you caught the rainbow in your geyser photo! That is so frustrating getting to the launch and they cut the line right before you get there! Our hindsight always is 20/20 isn't it? The pano-photo you took of the tree is stunning! I love all the decor at the Grand, but I agree it is very busy there. I am shocked they dont keep the gingerbread house open until after Marathon weekend. Just a thought as I looked at the open to close dates. I also don't love the gingerbread. I was very disappointed. I think it is because it is dark chocolate verses milk chocolate and I think it made it taste a little bitter. It is definitely a personal preference, but I do not care for dark chocolate and i think that is why I didn't like it.
It was aggravating missing the boat! Especially since I probably could have taken the monorail and gotten there faster! I can't wait for the bridge/walkway from MK to the Grand to get open!

I guess since they shifted Marathon weekend further away from NYE!

I don't even know if it was the chocolate or just the spices in the gingerbread. There was a note on the packaging they use a special traditional recipe. So I guess I need the sugared modern versions! (Though I really just prefer sugar cookies to gingerbread)

Day 8, Part 2 - A brief time in MK!

After lunch at the Grand I hopped on the monorail to head over to MK.

ddtEK4z.jpg

I think I got two sets of pictures done along main street… (If you can't tell, I'm squinting pretty hard here, because I wanted a photo without my cheap sunglasses but the sun was right in my face)!

Ru9MVhN.jpg
7htU3QX.jpg
mvTifCw.jpg
SeH9Jk7.jpg
skHMSCr.jpg

First, FP for Peter Pan, lovely as always.

Y7Oi2CH.jpg

Then 7DMT – another fun ride.

12sp1Lw.jpg
CGxvWGj.jpg
k79lknC.jpg

And Winnie the Pooh.

2No5zqn.jpg

Next up, Peoplemover, and my first time with the lights on inside space, so that was cool to see!

u2saRCO.jpg
0A98buu.jpg
QFj0OFV.jpg

Another photopass of course!

ZeJN5bd.jpg
GSLlGxE.jpg

At that point, even though it wasn’t too crazy, and I hadn't spent too much time, I was exhausted again, so I cut out for the day. I also wanted to leave before party crowds arrived.

A stop for some photos on main street though

aZxnZWi.jpg
oGHiH0N.jpg
5CEWA45.jpg
tayZEFc.jpg
g3V3UsG.jpg
JoEAbMp.jpg
A1icYMT.jpg

On my way out, I stopped at Guest Services. I was supposed to do the MVMCP again that night, but I just knew that wasn’t going to be feasible. And I had been able to do pretty much everything the day before. Thankfully Guest Services was very accommodating and gave me a full refund (it helped that the cold had hit my throat and you could audibly tell I was sick)! I also was supposed to do the Tony’s Town Square upcharge, but had cancelled that the day before.

I headed back to WL, where it was time for something else new – the DVC tour. I kept trying to figure out when to add this in on the trip, but the lady at the desk at GF finally got me scheduled in (I don't think I ever ended up using the FPs though)! I went into the tour with a bit more knowledge than average. I had sort of decided though that I really just wanted to buy at AKV, instead of CCV. They pulled up the quote to buy resale thru DVC, and I decided to take it back and think about it. After thinking more and more about it, I eventually decided to go ahead and purchase resale from an owner, rather than pay the premium for Disney. To be continued…

Aw2XPY5.jpg

After the tour, I stopped into the Mercantile store to pick up the MK merch I had sent over, as well as buy some other stuff!

So cute!

56kJ8NW.jpg
VqqwDEe.jpg

Then back to my room and rest! Again!

Eventually I headed back out for dinner. Resort at night:

zHyY56R.jpg
y8ivNd8.jpg

I took the boat launch that went Wilderness Lodge – Fort Wilderness - Contemporary. It was nice and peaceful at night! I wish I had time and energy to get off at FW and walk around checking out the various decorations, but I just couldn’t do it! Another time!

YzfAdSQ.jpg
rEAyPwW.jpg
NTwTIjF.jpg
1tCeF9H.jpg
z7ljwfO.jpg
RSJdlXc.jpg

Over to CR, where I checked in for my dinner at The Wave.

uiJ2iOT.jpg

I got the Seared Gnocchi (Forest mushrooms, sweet potatoes, rainbow swiss chard, brown butter-parmesan-sage cream), which was very yummy. It felt earthy and I thought it belonged at WL – it looks like they ended up adding something pretty similar to the Artist Point Snow White meal!

FCg9SMW.jpg
Ow9MEuv.jpg

Then I headed upstairs and checked out the Contemporary decorations. It was my first time at this resort and really felt way too chaotic for me! Maybe during the day would also be better with the sunlight coming in. But I actually have no strong desire to really stay there in the future (especially not at those prices)! I really just love the lodges more.

hpLJrkc.jpg
Atm3Eaw.jpg
NFCnc4z.jpg
Ja3PLmu.jpg
0Cghu9q.jpg
D929Lcy.jpg
m9EOJqQ.jpg

The tree out front is nice and bright, but that’s pretty much all it is…

2Jo8D7Q.jpg
2fbNby7.jpg
4MNrhaj.jpg

I also had found a California Grill reservation that I planned to use for dessert and fireworks, but I realized I wasn’t going to hold out that long. So I bumped and ran (again, I wish I had pushed my Wave reservation back a bit so once I was done there I could have gone upstairs, but I can't change things now). I then called over an Uber and headed back to WL. I just didn’t feel like walking back out to the boats, especially since I was already basically at the Uber pickup spot…

Back to WL, more decorations and the tree

u7wLOVs.jpg
aHQyxkB.jpg
Qxj9I3O.jpg
kIAZyi8.jpg
tNl8LzH.jpg
EoPDOKc.jpg
71TnVEk.jpg
b7LjwKR.jpg
5hXf8ip.jpg
WCz1MNG.jpg

lqXUSDX.jpg

I also went down to the Boulder Ridge Villas lobby to check those decorations. Definitely nice and peaceful lobby.

UnvDL3X.jpg
3pUcY0B.jpg
1RYyh0V.jpg
AVasrb5.jpg
fqigKM3.jpg
oL6RuuT.jpg
YIAecVE.jpg

And bed!

A review of my pre-trip plans

11:00 – Splash Mountain - cancelled
12:00 – The Plaza lunch – cancelled
, replaced with Grand Floridian Cafe
1:00 – Peter Pan Flight – check
2:00 – 7DMT – check
-resort break – basically, yes

5:00 – ADR The Wave – yes, just made it later (around 7:15 or so)
6:00 – MVMCP w/Tony’s Town Square party – cancelled
-Last minute CG reservation - cancelled

Coming up - visiting my favorite animals again!

ahhhh so DVC..... What ended up happening?

Wilderness Lodge is on my list of must stay resorts, and the pictures at the holidays look so amazing! Hoping when i can convince DH we need to go back for the holidays we can stay there! I am just so spoiled i love being able to walk to two parks and the idea of not staying at an Epcot resort makes me so sad, so i haven't been able to convince myself to stay else where recently.!

So nice that the CM helped you would with the refund! But i do hope you start feeling better in the TR soon!

(If you can't tell, I'm squinting pretty hard here, because I wanted a photo without my cheap sunglasses but the sun was right in my face)!
Still pretty, though. :)
1. love the shirt.
2. Tink's wearing a festive outfit!
3. Tink looks like she's going into battle (with a sword)
First, FP for Peter Pan, lovely as always.
Love that ride.
Then 7DMT – another fun ride.
::yes::
And Winnie the Pooh.
Ah yes. I should get front of line privileges there, don't you think?
There it is!
Thankfully Guest Services was very accommodating and gave me a full refund
I'm sorry, you were sick, but glad you got a refund, though.
(it helped that the cold had hit my throat and you could audibly tell I was sick)!
:hug:
After thinking more and more about it, I eventually decided to go ahead and purchase resale from an owner, rather than pay the premium for Disney. To be continued…
I know nothing about DVC. Is 100 points... I don't even know what question to ask. What does 100 points get you?
I really like that. The whole thing just looks so festive.
I checked in for my dinner at The Wave.
Thanks for the mini-review. I only know a couple people that have tried it.
It was my first time at this resort and really felt way too chaotic for me!
Uh, oh. Or is that partially because you were sick?

(If you can't tell, I'm squinting pretty hard here, because I wanted a photo without my cheap sunglasses but the sun was right in my face)!

You hid it well in most of the pictures!

The girl in the row in front of you knows what's up.

Obligatory peoplemover feet photo! I don't think I knew you had this Kingdom of Cute backpack, but I love it. It's so cute!

Thankfully Guest Services was very accommodating and gave me a full refund (it helped that the cold had hit my throat and you could audibly tell I was sick)!

That was really great of them! Obviously you weren't feeling up to it and it was the right thing to do, but they didn't have to, so that's great that they could do that for you!

I took the boat launch that went Wilderness Lodge – Fort Wilderness - Contemporary. It was nice and peaceful at night!

So beautiful on the water at night with all the lights. :cloud9:

The tree out front is nice and bright, but that’s pretty much all it is…

:rotfl:

The decorations at Wilderness Lodge are so beautiful, and it just feels so warm and inviting, especially around the holidays. :lovestruc I'm sorry you were sick and had to make some modifications. That can be frustrating and disappointing. But it seems like you managed to still get quite a few fun things in, and I hope you started feeling better soon!

At that point, even though it wasn’t too crazy, and I hadn't spent too much time, I was exhausted again, so I cut out for the day. I also wanted to leave before party crowds arrived.

Even without a cold, Magic Kingdom around Christmastime is an exhausting place to be. I don't know what it is. The crazy crowds, the Christmas decorations and music... I can't stay more than 4-5 hours a time at MK when it's in full Christmas swing. I commend you for making it through an entire Christmas Party and then coming back again with your cold.

On my way out, I stopped at Guest Services. I was supposed to do the MVMCP again that night, but I just knew that wasn’t going to be feasible. And I had been able to do pretty much everything the day before. Thankfully Guest Services was very accommodating and gave me a full refund (it helped that the cold had hit my throat and you could audibly tell I was sick)!

This is so great! I'm so glad you were able to get refunded!

They pulled up the quote to buy resale thru DVC, and I decided to take it back and think about it. After thinking more and more about it, I eventually decided to go ahead and purchase resale from an owner, rather than pay the premium for Disney. To be continued…

WOO!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

I got the Seared Gnocchi (Forest mushrooms, sweet potatoes, rainbow swiss chard, brown butter-parmesan-sage cream), which was very yummy. It felt earthy and I thought it belonged at WL – it looks like they ended up adding something pretty similar to the Artist Point Snow White meal!

FCg9SMW.jpg
Ow9MEuv.jpg

This looks so great!

It was my first time at this resort and really felt way too chaotic for me! Maybe during the day would also be better with the sunlight coming in. But I actually have no strong desire to really stay there in the future (especially not at those prices)!

CR is extremely chaotic at night, especially around Christmas. It's better during the day and during the summer months, but still a whole world different than AKV and WL. My family really wants to stay at BLT, but the hotel side of the CR is not somewhere we would want to stay again.

Next up, Peoplemover, and my first time with the lights on inside space, so that was cool to see!
Neat!!

Thankfully Guest Services was very accommodating and gave me a full refund (it helped that the cold had hit my throat and you could audibly tell I was sick)! I also was supposed to do the Tony’s Town Square upcharge, but had cancelled that the day before.
That's so cool, I'm so glad they were able to get you a refund!

After thinking more and more about it, I eventually decided to go ahead and purchase resale from an owner, rather than pay the premium for Disney. To be continued…
Ooo can't wait to hear more about this!!!

But I actually have no strong desire to really stay there in the future (especially not at those prices)!
Me either. It's not really my scene. I'm with you on liking the lodges! The only reason I would stay at the Contemporary would be a splurge to be able to walk to MK.

I also went down to the Boulder Ridge Villas lobby to check those decorations. Definitely nice and peaceful lobby.
Isn't though? Couldn't you just picture yourself settling down in one of those rocking chairs for a nice doze by the fire? Especially at Christmas time!

Sounds like a fun time at MK! I'm sorry you ended up cancelling your 2nd MVMCP!

Love all your pictures throughout the night and of the Christmas decorations!

I didn't mulit-quote either... ;)

I know you rebounded but I hope you started to feel better soon!
I sort of front-loaded the trip too, making sure I did a lot at the beginning, before I started to get tired, so at least that worked well for being sick!
ahhhh so DVC..... What ended up happening?

Wilderness Lodge is on my list of must stay resorts, and the pictures at the holidays look so amazing! Hoping when i can convince DH we need to go back for the holidays we can stay there! I am just so spoiled i love being able to walk to two parks and the idea of not staying at an Epcot resort makes me so sad, so i haven't been able to convince myself to stay else where recently.!

So nice that the CM helped you would with the refund! But i do hope you start feeling better in the TR soon!
I'll get to the DVC update at the end of the report!

The Epcot area resorts are very convenient for location. Though, if you consider the cost savings for AKL or WL, then you can take Ubers everywhere anyways!
1. love the shirt.
2. Tink's wearing a festive outfit!
3. Tink looks like she's going into battle (with a sword)
Well, she is a bada**!
Love that ride.
I rarely get to ride PP at Disneyland (it has a long line without FP), so I try to take advantage of it at MK! Peter Pan was my first movie in the theatre, so I have a soft spot for it!
I know nothing about DVC. Is 100 points... I don't even know what question to ask. What does 100 points get you?
So, it totally depends on the resort and room type and time of year! https://www.dvcrequest.com/point-charts.asp

Cheapest, Animal Kingdom Villas (Value studio) - which are in very short supply - on a weekday, in cheapest season, is 8 points/night. Compare with most expensive room at AKV that same day (Savanna view, grand villa), would be 75 points. Most expensive studio at AKV would be concierge, peak time of year, 36 points.

That same day, the cheapest at Polynesian would be 16 points! So, it really varies depending on when and where you want to stay! 100 points is usually a starting point, though some people get more. The minimum to purchase from Disney is 75 points.

Uh, oh. Or is that partially because you were sick?
I don't know. I went back in May and still not a huge fan

The girl in the row in front of you knows what's up.
She totally does!
Obligatory peoplemover feet photo! I don't think I knew you had this Kingdom of Cute backpack, but I love it. It's so cute!
Yeah, it took me forever to get a good parks backpack. The Loungefly ones are cute, but too small for me. The Kingdom of Cute is a great size and very reliable. I took it to Paris and will take it to Asia too! I had some issues with the zipper pulls slipping out of the slots, so I replaced them with Disney keychains!
Even without a cold, Magic Kingdom around Christmastime is an exhausting place to be. I don't know what it is. The crazy crowds, the Christmas decorations and music... I can't stay more than 4-5 hours a time at MK when it's in full Christmas swing. I commend you for making it through an entire Christmas Party and then coming back again with your cold.
Yeah, it is a lot! Though I love castle parks at Christmas!
Haha! Maybe we will be neighbors one day?
This looks so great!
It was yummy. I know the reviews of the version at Artist Point are also good.
CR is extremely chaotic at night, especially around Christmas. It's better during the day and during the summer months, but still a whole world different than AKV and WL. My family really wants to stay at BLT, but the hotel side of the CR is not somewhere we would want to stay again.
Yeah, for the price, I'd rather stay someplace I'd enjoy more!
That's so cool, I'm so glad they were able to get you a refund!
Yeah, I did appreciate it!
Me either. It's not really my scene. I'm with you on liking the lodges! The only reason I would stay at the Contemporary would be a splurge to be able to walk to MK.
And soon enough you will be able to walk from the Grand anyways!
Isn't though? Couldn't you just picture yourself settling down in one of those rocking chairs for a nice doze by the fire? Especially at Christmas time!
Haha, I may have done that later in the trip!
Leslie, your GF pics turned out soooo good!!!!
Thanks!
Sounds like a fun time at MK! I'm sorry you ended up cancelling your 2nd MVMCP!

Love all your pictures throughout the night and of the Christmas decorations!
I love Christmas decorations - Disney or otherwise!

Well, she is a bada**!
:laughing: Yes she is!!
I rarely get to ride PP at Disneyland (it has a long line without FP), so I try to take advantage of it at MK! Peter Pan was my first movie in the theatre, so I have a soft spot for it!
Awwww... :)
I really don't remember what my first "in theatre" first movie was... but I do know that (in the church basement) my earliest memories are of Pinocchio and 20,000 Leagues.
Cheapest, Animal Kingdom Villas (Value studio) - which are in very short supply - on a weekday, in cheapest season, is 8 points/night. Compare with most expensive room at AKV that same day (Savanna view, grand villa), would be 75 points. Most expensive studio at AKV would be concierge, peak time of year, 36 points.

That same day, the cheapest at Polynesian would be 16 points! So, it really varies depending on when and where you want to stay! 100 points is usually a starting point, though some people get more. The minimum to purchase from Disney is 75 points.
:laughing: So now I'm even more confused! How on Earth do you chose from so much variety???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter