Andrew Zimmern in trouble for comments about the authenticity of midwest "Chinese" restaurants?

Cabanafrau & cannot_wait_4disney you forgot the IMO and we all except them for what they are. :flower1:

It is not an opinion that China has many different types of cuisine. Nor is it an opinion that people adapt to what is available and where. Nor is it an opinion that one can get things beyond the Americanized standard items at plenty of places in the midwest. Those are observable facts. I just reported them and gave examples.

The only opinion in my post above that is is regarding the patronizing remarks. And that is an opinion the very person that made the remarks either shares as stated in his apology or he was completely lying in said apology. And in either case, that means he at least understands that his remarks were a problem.

Last edited:
That may be. I don't know, to be honest. Any time I've heard anything about Andrew, it always seems to mention Minnesota as his home.

ETA - You got me thinking, so I went to his website. Looks like he grew up in the NYC area (Long Island) and moved to Minnesota for rehab (didn't specify what addiction he had).

The quick search I did mentioned drug addiction past with a habit of stealing purses and selling their contents. My assumption would be to procure more drugs, but that's just IMO.

I used to like people Andrew Zimmern and Anthony Bourdain for their "foodie-ness." Now, it just sounds like elitism. (Even disregarding the cultural insensitivity.)
I'm over it.
The attitude is that if you don't like their food, then you are part of the unwashed masses.

I never considered Anthony Bourdain (RIP) to be elitist. :confused3

Anyway, I do prefer authentic Chinese food. I've been to Hong Kong and had several kinds of foods. I think one thing that sets them apart is that a lot of Americanized Chinese restaurants serve foods that are very high in sodium and calories...just check nutrition info for PF Chang's

That may be. I don't know, to be honest. Any time I've heard anything about Andrew, it always seems to mention Minnesota as his home.

ETA - You got me thinking, so I went to his website. Looks like he grew up in the NYC area (Long Island) and moved to Minnesota for rehab (didn't specify what addiction he had).

One episode of Bizarre Foods was set in Manhattan. He actually met up with some old friends of his who had married and still lived there. He definitely mentioned being from NYC several times.

Actually, the fact you seem unable to accept opposing opinions without trying to minimize, marginalize and dismiss them as something they are not seems to elude you.

Agree to disagree, it appears. No facts, just difference of opinions which should all be accepted. Which I did.
Sorry you interpreted differently. No bad intent here. :flower1:

AZ lives in the Twin Cities, MN so he knows the Midwest.

IMO, he was giving his opinion based on his global experiences as a well known chef, which he is entitled to do. He is an expert in his field. So what if he doesn't like other Chinese cooking? That does not make him a bad or self rightous person. People need to form their own opinions and take everyone else's opinions with a grain of salt.
Too much oversenitivity on other people's opinions. The concept of being PC has been abused, not everyone is going to agree with everyone else all of the time.
Speculation and over exaggeration on what was intended perpetuates what is being protested.
JMHO. :flower1:

Agree to disagree, it appears. No facts, just difference of opinions which should all be accepted. Which I did.
Sorry you interpreted differently. No bad intent here. :flower1:

When you both quote someone whose viewpoint diverges from yours and then go on to delineate a need to form one's own opinions, too much oversensitivity and the abuse of the concept of being PC it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that someone should interpret your comments differently than your plain language suggests and not take exception to your comments.

Oh, IMO of course.

Anyway, I do prefer authentic Chinese food. I've been to Hong Kong and had several kinds of foods. I think one thing that sets them apart is that a lot of Americanized Chinese restaurants serve foods that are very high in sodium and calories...just check nutrition info for PF Chang's

I do admire Anthony Bourdain in some ways. I do think that he did some work fighting against elitism, in a political way.

However, I think he also fed into culinary elitism at least earlier in his career. This idea that a few chefs decide which food is "authentic" and which food is "art" while everyone else has "sold out." If it is popular, accessible, convenient, mass-produced, it must be necessarily bad.

ETA: Anthony Bourdain did change his ways a lot. He defended the Olive Garden review lady, for instance. But before that, he crucified people like Sandra Lee, Rachael Ray, and Paula Deen.

Last edited:
I have no idea who Andrew Zimmern is and have only been to P. F. Chang's once. But my observation is that all of these mom-and-pop American Chinese food places seem to be pretty much identical. I don't really trust any of them as authentic. Same thing with chain places. I mean, isn't that like saying Taco Bell is authentic? As I am 0% Asian, I can't claim to know for sure, but they do all feel rather Americanized to me.

Last edited:
AZ lives in the Twin Cities, MN so he knows the Midwest.

IMO, he was giving his opinion based on his global experiences as a well known chef, which he is entitled to do. He is an expert in his field. So what if he doesn't like other Chinese cooking? That does not make him a bad or self rightous person. People need to form their own opinions and take everyone else's opinions with a grain of salt.
Too much oversenitivity on other people's opinions. The concept of being PC has been abused, not everyone is going to agree with everyone else all of the time.
Speculation and over exaggeration on what was intended perpetuates what is being protested.
JMHO. :flower1:
JMHO Expressing it the way he did makes him seem like a self-righteous jerk.
The foul language and overly strong opinion does make him come off as belittling anyone who deigns to like whatever he doesn't like.

I probably can't even quote the word he said on the DISBoards, but there is a difference between, "I want to bring a more authentic Chinese food experience to the Midwest. I don't like the fact that Chinese food has had to be so Americanized to be commercially successful. I believe that people now have the palates for a more authentic experience." or "What those Chinese Americans do is horse manure [but he used stronger language.] I, the white savior, will deliver real Chinese food to the midwest."

My family & I enjoy watching Andrew Zimmern's various shows, & I would agree that he exhibits more of a sense of humility & respect for the local people & customs in his later, more recent shows than he did in his earlier shows.

One we watched recently was set in Mexico, & he was in a family's home for dinner. The grandmother of the family said some kind of blessing over the meal & then thanked Zimmern very graciously for being there & highlighting their cuisine & traditions. He cried.

I don't go into PF Chang's expecting authentic Chinese cuisine. We have a local Chinese restaurant that has been owned & operated for years by a man from China, but I still think that what he serves in his restaurant is probably much different than what I would be served if I were actually in a restaurant in an Asian country.

I also liked Anthony Bourdain, &, yes, I think he could sometimes come off as quite elitist. But, in my opinion, a good deal of his "disdain" for America & "Americanized" dishes came from his travels & eating w/ locals & really getting to know not just the flavor of the foods but the flavor of the people & the lands & cities from where the food came.

I also liked Anthony Bourdain, &, yes, I think he could sometimes come off as quite elitist. But, in my opinion, a good deal of his "disdain" for America & "Americanized" dishes came from his travels & eating w/ locals & really getting to know not just the flavor of the foods but the flavor of the people & the lands & cities from where the food came.
He championed street food as something that was accessible and authentic. But a lot of it came off as some sort of aging hipster vibe that could be seen as elitism, even if it wasn't about how much money one could spend on dining.

I always loved AB because it was about the FOOD, or at least I thought so. I'm still sad regarding his passing.

He championed street food as something that was accessible and authentic. But a lot of it came off as some sort of aging hipster vibe that could be seen as elitism, even if it wasn't about how much money one could spend on dining.

Hey, aging hipsters all over the world are hurt by thought.

Good for him, I guess. I hate "authentic" Chinese food. I've tried it twice, and I would never do it again, but that is just my taste. (I do like the Westernized / Chinese fusion food though). As for this guy, whoever he is, if his food is good people will eat it, if not, his experiment will be an epic fail. A chef's a chef, food's food, and personal taste is personal taste.

Good for him, I guess. I hate "authentic" Chinese food. I've tried it twice, and I would never do it again, but that is just my taste. (I do like the Westernized / Chinese fusion food though). As for this guy, whoever he is, if his food is good people will eat it, if not, his experiment will be an epic fail. A chef's a chef, food's food, and personal taste is personal taste.

What is it someone said? Nobody ever went broke overestimating the taste of the American public.

I don't necessarily find it disturbing that he's criticizing P.F. Chang's, because frankly it is a ripoff. They're doing pretty well financially so I doubt Zimmern putting them down is going to affect their bottom line. However, I had a look at the prices of his place, and I'm not quite sure if those aren't ripoff prices either.

https://luckycricket.net/lunch/

$45 for a whole roast duck?

What is it someone said? Nobody ever went broke overestimating the taste of the American public.

I don't necessarily find it disturbing that he's criticizing P.F. Chang's, because frankly it is a ripoff. They're doing pretty well financially so I doubt Zimmern putting them down is going to affect their bottom line. However, I had a look at the prices of his place, and I'm not quite sure if those aren't ripoff prices either.

https://luckycricket.net/lunch/

$45 for a whole roast duck?

45 for a whole roast duck is a steal, at least in USA

I like PF Chang's a lot. I know what it is, not authentic, high in calories and so forth, but still we really enjoy eating there from time to time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter