"Angel Tree" type gifts; fewer & more expensive, or more but cheaper?

VAfamily1998

DIS Veteran
A local organization has a gift giving opportunity similar to the Angel Trees (only it's an online sign up, instead of actual paper tags--same idea though.)
I wanted to choose an older child, because I've heard they are often left out, so I registered for an 18 year old boy. Since it's an online sign up I can also see that he has a 13 year old sibling and two much younger siblings (toddlers.) As of a few minutes ago, they haven't been selected yet.
He was pretty general in his requests, and didn't mention specific brand names or even colors for clothes. I have a son that will be 18 next week so I've been enlisting his help in selecting things that we think most boys that age will like, and when possible I'm getting a gift receipt just in case.
But one thing I was wondering about is, should I be striving to buy more things, even if that means I need to get ones that are cheaper? Or is it better to get nicer (better name brand) things, even if it means I get less of them? One of his requests was for a gift card but he didn't specify where, so I'm considering buying fewer "things" and giving him more via gift card (maybe a sporting goods store so he can buy clothes or sports gear.)

Although I only intended to select one child, I'm considering the 13 year old sibling as well. If they get selected by different people the gift style (more but cheaper vs. fewer but nicer) might be different and I don't know if that would be bad. I'm not as concerned about the little ones because 1) they are really too young to notice and 2) Other events like "Toys for Tots" generally get tons of things for the little ones, but not so much for the older kids.

Anyway, what do you think; More (but less expensive) gifts, or fewer "better" gifts for an 18 year old? And should I also sponsor the younger (13 year old) sibling even if that means I will need to give less to the 18 year old?

A local organization has a gift giving opportunity similar to the Angel Trees (only it's an online sign up, instead of actual paper tags--same idea though.)
I wanted to choose an older child, because I've heard they are often left out, so I registered for an 18 year old boy. Since it's an online sign up I can also see that he has a 13 year old sibling and two much younger siblings (toddlers.) As of a few minutes ago, they haven't been selected yet.
He was pretty general in his requests, and didn't mention specific brand names or even colors for clothes. I have a son that will be 18 next week so I've been enlisting his help in selecting things that we think most boys that age will like, and when possible I'm getting a gift receipt just in case.
But one thing I was wondering about is, should I be striving to buy more things, even if that means I need to get ones that are cheaper? Or is it better to get nicer (better name brand) things, even if it means I get less of them? One of his requests was for a gift card but he didn't specify where, so I'm considering buying fewer "things" and giving him more via gift card (maybe a sporting goods store so he can buy clothes or sports gear.)

Although I only intended to select one child, I'm considering the 13 year old sibling as well. If they get selected by different people the gift style (more but cheaper vs. fewer but nicer) might be different and I don't know if that would be bad. I'm not as concerned about the little ones because 1) they are really too young to notice and 2) Other events like "Toys for Tots" generally get tons of things for the little ones, but not so much for the older kids.

Anyway, what do you think; More (but less expensive) gifts, or fewer "better" gifts for an 18 year old? And should I also sponsor the younger (13 year old) sibling even if that means I will need to give less to the 18 year old?
What are the program guidelines for this? Is there a dollar limit or anything like that or are you just to take the gift list and run with it? I admire you choosing this young person; it definitely would have been easier to do a younger child. :goodvibes

I think you're on the right track with the gift cards - it's pretty tough to nail it exactly with clothes. Do you have a mall that sells a general gift card that can be used in any store? I'd think that would be a good bet, in a fairly large (whatever that means to you) amount. I'd bundle that up with a couple of wrapped gifts - general stuff like toiletries and a board or card game.

Just my thoughts. :flower3: Thanks again for doing this.

I like the idea of a gift card but wouldn't do a sporting goods store. First, do you know if he's into that kind of thing? I have several nephews for whom a card to Dick's or similar would be a huge waste of money; they don't do sports at ALL and the clothes are expensive/lean towards the outdoors lifestyle. I'd think maybe a mall gift card, or even a "generic vanilla" Visa card (I know many have fees, but some don't) would be a better idea, so he could use it at places he likes (including going out to dinner with friends, if that's what would mean "gift" to him).

We sponsor a family for the reason you mentioned and I would take the 13 yo also but not at the expense of the 18 yo. If your budget only covers one, I'd just cover one. I'd prob do a gift card (18yo are hard to buy for!), but I'd throw some little things in there like candy or other stocking stuffers.

I did a little kid this year! If you buy any actual gifts I would really choose the nice name brand over more gifts. I would guess that for a family doing a program like this they could have the cheaper stuff. But the coveted nice brand name would be what would be most appreciated.

I would do a department store gift card over a more specific sporting goods store or over a generic credit card. More chance that they might pick out something nice and not use it on more everyday stuff

I would lean toward more less expensive vs less high end stuff. Mainly because if they are a family truly in need the boy may need more and the named brand stuff might be seen in bad light or possibly stolen.

If you’re inclined to do to gift cards I’d either do Walmart/Target.

My teens would definitely prefer fewer gifts but of a nicer quality/brand - so that is what I would go with for the angel tree child as well.

But then again, as I mentioned in another thread - gifts are pretty secondary for my family, and my kids don't get very many each year anyways.

Another vote for fewer gifts of better quality/name brand. We assist a lot of people in need, and what is often the case is that the family can swing getting their child, say a plain sweatshirt from Wal-Mart, but not the often coveted Nike or Under Armor sweatshirt.

Also, I would not take on the 13 year old at the expense of the 18 year old.

Thank you for taking this child to give him a special Christmas.

I would lean toward more less expensive vs less high end stuff. Mainly because if they are a family truly in need the boy may need more and the named brand stuff might be seen in bad light or possibly stolen.

If you’re inclined to do to gift cards I’d either do Walmart/Target.
I have no idea how you meant this, but to me it implies that just because someone in need is wearing a brand name it would be stolen. As I said I don’t know how you meant it, but it doesn’t read very well. Just my opinion, no accusations.

I have no idea how you meant this, but to me it implies that just because someone in need is wearing a brand name it would be stolen. As I said I don’t know how you meant it, but it doesn’t read very well. Just my opinion, no accusations.
In some neighborhoods that is exactly what could happen. It could also be seen badly by the family or older sibling. It's not fair "Johnny" got that North Face jacket but "Michael" got this no name one. Just another perspective and something to think about before buying a child an expensive item.

Agree with PP. My first thought was Under Armour hoodie, but Nike is a great choice too. I vote for less stuff, but nice name brand.

The 13 year old will not be forgotten. Even if no one picks his name the organization will take care of everyone they have signed up for.

How they do this is sometimes splitting stuff that comes in so everyone gets stuff. Don’t wrap the presents unless asked to because they will open them to make sure the gift is new and not broken, You would be surprised what comes in.

No idea what your budget is - I would get the 18 yo a name brand hoodie...Nike, adidas, under armor or champion. And then a visa gift card for the balance.
I would not take on the 13 yo unless you had had the funds to fully gift both kids.
There are lots of delals on brand name hoodies right now. Kohl’s has all 4 main brands on sale now, and starting the 10th I think they will also have free shipping if you have a Kohl’s card. You could also check the actual manufacturers websites for sales.

The 13 year old will not be forgotten. Even if no one picks his name the organization will take care of everyone they have signed up for.

How they do this is sometimes splitting stuff that comes in so everyone gets stuff. Don’t wrap the presents unless asked to because they will open them to make sure the gift is new and not broken, You would be surprised what comes in.

If she got the 18 yo a gift card, would they give him the whole thing? Or how do they handle that?

If she got the 18 yo a gift card, would they give him the whole thing? Or how do they handle that?
With our organization the gift cards are used to buy gifts that are missing like the 13 year old. We have age groups we work on. Sometimes the teens do get gift cards because they are hard to buy for, but they all would get the same amount. And possibly that sweater or token gift.

But there are some families that get sponsored, this means they take on the whole family. This family gives a list of wishes.

I know Salvation Army does this as will. You can’t guarantee all the gifts will go to the one person but they try too. Depends how much comes in ,or what they may have left from last year.

We set up like a store and the parents come in and choose from what is collected so that they might get what there child likes. We usually go shopping a few days head of the one daily they come in to fill in the gaps. The one I volunteer for the stuff comes from our schools, they are giving a family with ages and if mom and dad. Or just mom to each class and we sort it for days.

Now saying all that I don’t know how this one is run. Maybe he will get what she gives.

I read it as what's being said here is that fancy stuff is at real risk for being stolen; it happens in high schools everywhere every day and lots of times the thieves are affluent kids themselves. In settings outside school a high-end hoodie (or shoes or a phone) could make the boy a target to be victimized.

With our organization the gift cards are used to buy gifts that are missing like the 13 year old. We have age groups we work on. Sometimes the teens do get gift cards because they are hard to buy for, but they all would get the same amount. And possibly that sweater or token gift.

But there are some families that get sponsored, this means they take on the whole family. This family gives a list of wishes.

I know Salvation Army does this as will. You can’t guarantee all the gifts will go to the one person but they try too. Depends how much comes in ,or what they may have left from last year.

We set up like a store and the parents come in and choose from what is collected so that they might get what there child likes. We usually go shopping a few days head of the one daily they come in to fill in the gaps. The one I volunteer for the stuff comes from our schools, they are giving a family with ages and if mom and dad. Or just mom to each class and we sort it for days.

Now saying all that I don’t know how this one is run. Maybe he will get what she gives.
The way you explain it is very understandable; it makes a lot of sense to manage the needs with the available resources. Thank you for participating in this work. :flower3:

It is a little heart-rending though to think of the gifts one has lovingly chosen for what they imagine to be a specific child, being distributed in some other way. I've heard some charities actually make up general profiles to hang on the "wish trees" rather than use actual individuals. I'm not sure I think it's wrong exactly, but somehow it does seem a little disingenuous.

The way you explain it is very understandable; it makes a lot of sense to manage the needs with the available resources.
Which is also a good reason for the more gifts costing less money.

It is unfortunate that one thinks they are buying for one family/child for those gifts to be split up. In a lot of communities, including mine, there are more families to serve than donations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!