Animal Kingdom at night, worth it?

raraavis

Team NO Capes!
I personally want to see Animal Kingdom at night (mostly to see Pandora with everything lit up), but I am not convinced it's the best use of time for my trip. I am going with my husband and 5 year old next February, and we have 6 park hoppers. I have 2 AK days already (mornings) but no nights "scheduled" (obviously, things can change once I get our fast passes). I am focusing my nights on MK and DHS (mainly for the nighttime entertainment). We do have 1 Epcot night in there to catch Epcot Forever. I would really need to rearrange my plans to fit in Animal Kingdom in the afternoon/evening. What does everyone think? Should I make time for it? If yes, what are your reasons? Thanks!

AK is amazing at night - I have only seen Pandora at night and never in day, so I can’t compare anything but it is BEAUTIFUL. The Awakenings are amazing. Rivers of Light is (probably) my favorite nighttime spectacular at WDW (although I have not seen it with the IP inject and have heard that it isn’t as good as it was before).

Personally I can take it or leave it. I’m not a fan of Rivers of Light, and am okay with missing the rest in favour of nighttime at any of the other 3 parks. I love nighttime in general at MK/Epcot and although I don’t feel that way about DHS I would choose Fantasmic over night at AK.

It was nice to do it once, we’ll probably do it once if we can on our 10+ day trips, but nighttime at AK often doesn’t fit well with our plans and I don’t go out of our way to make it work. It’s first on the chopping block for us lol.

We make it a point to visit each park at least once at night. AK is actually my least favorite park but if you haven't seen it at night you need to, it's pretty cool. Like you, we have 2 mornings scheduled there but hopping there one night because my in-laws have never seen it.

With 6 day parkhoppers, you can do 2 MK nights, 3 DHS or EPCOT nights (we choose EPCOT at night over DHS) and 1 AK night. Problem solved?

I would do AK at night. We make sure we do that once every trip. After seeing Pandora lit up at night we take the path counter clockwise thru the park for a nice stroll. Pandora to Africa to Asia to Dinoland to Discovery Island and then out of the park. Even with miles and miles on our feet that day, we love that walk.

I like Pandora best during the day. For me, nothing beats looking up at those big floating islands. That said, I love the feel of AK at night. It has a laid back, street party vibe that is super refreshing and fun. I like ROL, Awakenings, riding Everest in the dark....

Another thing to take into account is that Animal Kingdom is always the hottest park. I don't know why, but it is. If you're sensitive to heat, you may find more enjoyment by visiting it at night.

AK at night is what made me fall in love with AK and this was 10 years ago when they had PM EMH. Before Pandora, before ROL, before the tree show, before any night time activities. What made me fall in love was riding EE at night and it being cooler in AK. AK is HOT during the day so being at AK when the temps drop is the best. Before that AK was a 4 hour park at RD that we just "made it through" because we couldn't take the heat.

This past trip I scheduled two nights in AK but we only made it to one. My kids like AK but the heat deters them. I knew going in DD was going to "fight" me on going to AK too much because of the heat (she was only two the last time AK had late hours). The first planned night we were tired so we skipped it but I knew I had my back up night. We went and she loved it. She was pleasantly surprised and said she now really enjoys AK more than she thought she ever would. Pandora at night is gorgeous, riding EE at night was amazing again and the tree show was awesome. Just the vibe of AK at night is magical. Walking around a non crowded park in the dark with the lights. I just love it. We actually didn't want to leave. We stayed past park closing and just walked out very slowly. I can also go to AK at night and just walk around and relax without riding rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter