Animal Kingdom Evening Safari Experience vs Wild Africa Trek

DJC78

Earning My Ears
Hi - I’m trying to decide which one of these to book and would love to hear feedback to compare? Thank You !

:welcome:

So you mean “Savor the Savannah: Evening Safari Experience” and WAT?

We’ve done both — and really enjoyed both — and would be happy to give feedback. Would help to know a bit about your group: Kids or not? Ages? Do you like more active adventures? Time of year you’re visiting?

We’ve done both — and really enjoyed both — and would be happy to give feedback. Would help to know a bit about your group: Kids or not? Ages? Do you like more active adventures? Time of year you’re visiting?

Thank You. This would be take place few days after Thanksgiving so a day either the weekend or week after Thanksgiving in November. It would be my wife and I (in our 50s)’ sister in law and her husband (in their 40s), our 12 year old daughter and “maybe” my father in law who is in his early 70s. All animal lovers. I guess I’d like your opinion if the WAT is worth the extra money and if so why (or why not). And then how “strenuous” is one trip vs the other because I do have some concerns about my father in law but I do know that sometimes the “warnings” on attractions are exaggerated. I would really appreciate your insights since you’ve been on both. Thank you very much!

Hi - please see my reply further down the thread appreciate your insights!

Wild Africa Trek
  • I haven't heard of them making any changes, but note that we did this 4yrs ago (DH and I in early 40's, daughter 8yrs, son 10 yrs at the time -- all in good health with no physical limitations)
  • About 3hrs if I recall -- early morning was great
  • Need to be able to wear a harness, hook it and unhook it to move from observing one group of animals, to walking across a couple of bridges relatively high up (over crocs) -- some with fear of heights have had an issue with this
  • There's some trekking around trails behind the scenes of the Safari attraction -- nothing we found strenuous -- flat and mild hills
  • Then you have some snacks overlooking the Savannah -- shorter and less food than StS
  • Knowledgeable guides with info on various animals and chances to ask questions
  • They take photos of your party, and they remain some of my favorite Disney pics over 13+ yrs of trips.

Savor the Savannah
  • A couple of hours; we timed with sunset which was nice
  • About half Safari in smaller vehicle (some "off the regular path" areas), and half dining overlooking the Savannah
  • Meal here is more elaborate and includes alcohol
  • How informative the tour is wrt the animals appears to be dependent in part on how many questions people in your group have. Some describe it as not too different from the regular Safari ride plus food. In our case, we had A LOT of questions and the guides were amazing at answering all of them. Great discussion.

We thought both were worth the cost. We would do either again, but if we had to pick one, it would probably be WAT. We enjoy the active portion, and get plenty of great meals while in WDW. I think the extra for the more UNIQUE experience of the trek (as opposed to just the Safari) is worth it.

I think that which you pick depends on how active you want to be -- how much you'd value the Trek portion vs. relaxing at the Savannah overlook. The time of year you're going, I don't think the weather is an issue (I could see WAT being a tad rough in August).

Disclaimer: regarding your father in law -- I certainly can't speak to whether the Trek portion of WAT would be fine for him or not. If it were me, I'd think about how active he is generally, state of health, etc. If I thought it seemed fine, I'd try to describe both and ask him what he'd like to do, or if he'd be comfortable doing the trek. We didn't find it strenuous, and my in laws in their 70's who ARE active wouldn't have a problem with it. But this is so individual, so I certainly wouldn't try to make any judgment on the internet about whether it would work for him. :)

Last edited:

Also for now, here’s a similar recent thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/wild-africa-trek-or-savor-the-savannah.3683033/

And you can also search for “wild Africa trek” in the title of posts and a good number of reviews come up.
Hi - please see my reply further down the thread appreciate your insights!
Wild Africa Trek
  • I haven't heard of them making any changes, but note that we did this 4yrs ago (DH and I in early 40's, daughter 8yrs, son 10 yrs at the time -- all in good health with no physical limitations)
  • About 3hrs if I recall -- early morning was great
  • Need to be able to wear a harness, hook it and unhook it to move from observing one group of animals, to walking across a couple of bridges relatively high up (over crocs) -- some with fear of heights have had an issue with this
  • There's some trekking around trails behind the scenes of the Safari attraction -- nothing we found strenuous -- flat and mild hills
  • Then you have some snacks overlooking the Savannah -- shorter and less food than StS
  • Knowledgeable guides with info on various animals and chances to ask questions
  • They take photos of your party, and they remain some of my favorite Disney pics over 13+ yrs of trips.

Savor the Savannah
  • A couple of hours; we timed with sunset which was nice
  • About half Safari in smaller vehicle (some "off the regular path" areas), and half dining overlooking the Savannah
  • Meal here is more elaborate and includes alcohol
  • How informative the tour is wrt the animals appears to be dependent in part on how many questions people in your group have. Some describe it as not too different from the regular Safari ride plus food. In our case, we had A LOT of questions and the guides were amazing at answering all of them. Great discussion.

We thought both were worth the cost. We would do either again, but if we had to pick one, it would probably be WAT. We enjoy the active portion, and get plenty of great meals while in WDW. I think the extra for the more UNIQUE experience of the trek (as opposed to just the Safari) is worth it.

I think that which you pick depends on how active you want to be -- how much you'd value the Trek portion vs. relaxing at the Savannah overlook. The time of year you're going, I don't think the weather is an issue (I could see WAT being a tad rough in August).

Disclaimer: regarding your father in law -- I certainly can't speak to whether the Trek portion of WAT would be fine for him or not. If it were me, I'd think about how active he is generally, state of health, etc. If I thought it seemed fine, I'd try to describe both and ask him what he'd like to do, or if he'd be comfortable doing the trek. We didn't find it strenuous, and my in laws in their 70's who ARE active wouldn't have a problem with it. But this is so individual, so I certainly wouldn't try to make any judgment on the internet about whether it would work for him. :)

And then how “strenuous” is one trip vs the other because I do have some concerns about my father in law but I do know that sometimes the “warnings” on attractions are exaggerated

We did WAT last year with my kids who were 12 and 10 (they LOVED it). My 71yo mom opted out of it due to the heat (we went in the summer) and it was a good thing. There were parts where the ground was uneven where we were walking and I think she would have been a little uncomfortable walking on the rope bridge. While you are always harnessed in on these areas, there is still the opportunity for a stumble.

We did WAT last year with my kids who were 12 and 10 (they LOVED it). My 71yo mom opted out of it due to the heat (we went in the summer) and it was a good thing. There were parts where the ground was uneven where we were walking and I think she would have been a little uncomfortable walking on the rope bridge. While you are always harnessed in on these areas, there is still the opportunity for a stumble.

Question... if you have a fear of heights, is the bridge to only scary section or are there more?
This sounds intriguing and I think my son would love it, but me I’m not so sure...

Question... if you have a fear of heights, is the bridge to only scary section or are there more?
This sounds intriguing and I think my son would love it, but me I’m not so sure...
There is one spot where you have your harness on are are hooked to a line, and you are the top or a "ledge" (though it's really wide, so that's probably not the best term), looking down at the hippos. Or at least that's what is was 4 yrs ago -- don't know if it's changed. I would say that the area is wide enough, if I recall, that you could stand further back and not get close to the edge. It all feels very safe, but I could see some not wanting to get too close to the edge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter