Animal Kingdom Lodge Transportation

Kaz65

Mouseketeer
Hello, We are looking at options for next year and wondering about peoples experience of the transportation at AKL compared to other sites?
Thank you

We go there next year too, I’m interested to see what people say. I’m hoping that if we allow 90 minutes travel time for getting around on the Disney buses we’ll manage ok though. It’s always going to be manic getting the buses to the parks for rope drop and leaving at the end of the day too.
It’s been a while since we were over there but it’s sometimes easier to use a nearby hotel as a destination and then get another bus to a park. Or even use a bus and then a water taxi. I’ve got to figure it all out once we know the park hours for our stay and which parks to visit on which days after factoring in the extended hours and thing like that. Looking forward to other replies.

Allowing 90 minutes for a bus to the parks! Should have time for the bus to break down and they send a replacement in that time. Surely it’s not more than 30 minutes actual bus time plus waiting time so if you allow an hour should be enough.

Allowing 90 minutes for a bus to the parks! Should have time for the bus to break down and they send a replacement in that time. Surely it’s not more than 30 minutes actual bus time plus waiting time so if you allow an hour should be enough.
We got caught out a few trips past, we missed a bus by less than a minute and had to wait over 40 minutes for the next one to where we wanted to be. Then the heavens opened and a bus got caught in traffic after a crash on the road. We had to find a CM to find out what happened to the bus. They contacted the parks ( that’s where all the buses were being despatched from ) who had to reroute a bus to us from another location and change drivers. Thankfully everything worked out ok we didn’t have an ADR to get to and it was when DS was young so we played games while we waited and back then there were no monitor screens in the bus stops with info. Since then I always plan enough time to allow for delays from weather and traffic flow. One of my favourite updates at the resorts is the transportation monitors in the bus stops. I use any extra time just to look around and take some photos and enjoy the atmosphere. Yes I know I’m showing my age now.

I stayed at AKL Jambo house and Kidani village and had great experiences with the buses. I think 90 minutes is more than enough time for you to get to the parks. I even had to go to another resort for dinner and took the bus to AK Park and then transferred to a resort bus and found the whole process so easy. I really enjoy this location and wouldn't hesitate to ever stay here again. My family always uses Disney transportation and this resort didn't disappoint.

On our only stay at AKL we had some of the worst bus service I've ever experienced at WDW. One day It took 45mins to get back from DAK!

Buses I found no different than anywhere else, in fact I found them better than our stays at other resorts. To and from Animal Kingdom lodge from Jambo took about 5/10 minutes. Longest is Magic Kingdom and still only took about 25 minutes. This was in January that we stayed (2nd to the 10th). We used the app to get the times of buses to decide when to leave the room and head down to the stops. Even when we had longer waits it still only took us no more than 40 to get to our destination.

They do recommend 90 minutes for all journeys etc just as leeway etc plus clearing security etc for dining reservations/fast pass etc.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is a great place to stay but you must remember it is also the most remote, its's close to Animal Kingdom park and that's about it.

We stayed for two weeks and had a car the first week and no car the second week as we thought we would do non Disney things with the car and then use the Disney transport the second week, this was in a way not a great idea as the transport is not always the quickest, as mentioned if you miss a bus you may have a wait and the bus stops are outside the main entrances so you have to go look and if you missed you have to wait.

When we went there was no timing boards so it was a case of sitting and waiting which at times was long, the new digital timing boards at least gives you an idea of your wait time and should one of your family members need the rest room at least you know if you have time.

Personally if i was to stay again at Animal Kingdom I would have a car, so much easier to get around.

Theres no issues getting to any parks from AKL, people just make stuff up because there are more miles involved. I stayed with timing boards, never waited more than the 20 mins you wait at any other resort.

It's 10 mins from AKL to the junction on World Drive that the Beach and Yacht buses join at, then another 10-15 to security at MK. No biggie, especially if you're loving AKL, or are saving £2000 by staying at AKL

Thanks Everyone - most helpful. Decided to go for Yacht Club in the end
We had our best vacation at the Yacht Club resort, Beach Club came a close joint second (tied with Wilderness Lodge). I hope you and your family have a fantastic time there.

The actual trip won't take that long, depending on which park, but you can wait a significant amount of time for a bus. I've had the experience of waiting for a bus for one park and 3 show up for another park before the bus for my park comes. AKL is quite remote. Also Kidani gets picked up first (at least that's the case on my last stay there 2 years ago), so sometimes there's no seating by the time the bus gets to Jambo House. I would leave an hour if I'm going for a specific time, like an ADR. JMO

The actual trip won't take that long, depending on which park, but you can wait a significant amount of time for a bus. I've had the experience of waiting for a bus for one park and 3 show up for another park before the bus for my park comes. AKL is quite remote. Also Kidani gets picked up first (at least that's the case on my last stay there 2 years ago), so sometimes there's no seating by the time the bus gets to Jambo House. I would leave an hour if I'm going for a specific time, like an ADR. JMO

They must change it around.

When I stayed at AKL, Jambo House guests were always first on, and it didn't go to Kidani Village after.

We never waited more than the 20 mins you'd wait at any resort for a bus.

They must change it around.

When I stayed at AKL, Jambo House guests were always first on, and it didn't go to Kidani Village after.

We never waited more than the 20 mins you'd wait at any resort for a bus.
Maybe time of year? We were at Jambo end of January. Possibly they only share busses in busier times.

Maybe time of year? We were at Jambo end of January. Possibly they only share busses in busier times.

As it happens it was mid to end of Jan for us too! I think they change the routes depending how full they know the hotels are etc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!