Animal Kingdom or Epcot for no Ride day

OnlyDisney

DIS Veteran
My inlaws are coming to visit over Christmas and they want to do Disney one day on Dec 17, either Animal Kingdom or Epcot. MiL will be in a scooter, but she won't be doing many, if any, rides do to neck surgery this past spring.

Do you think Epcot or Animal Kingdom would be more entertaining for someone who can't do rides?

I know at Epcot we can do world showcase and she could do Living with the Land.
At Animal Kingdom there is the Na'vi River ride (maybe - we've done this ride once but I can't remember if there were any drops), Festival of the Lion King, and the animal trails.

Are they doing the story of Christmas by many of the different countries in Epcot this year? If so, that would be something fun for your MiL. She could also go to the Living Seas and see the fish and dolphins.

Honestly for a no ride day my first choice would be Studios. There are only four rides in studios anyway. Granted I think they are great rides, but only four. There are so many excellent shows in Studios that a large part of the day could easily be occupied by seeing these shows. I think there are at least ten to choose from. Animal Kingdom does have four excellent shows and the two animal trails. If she could ride the train to Rafiki area, that often takes so much time that I choose to skip it. Epcot has three movies and a terrific show in World Showcase and two movies in Future World as well as the exhibits in the seas and another show there. Either of those parks could have enough to take enough of your day, but to me both would feel that you are missing out on so much more than Studios would. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices. I suppose the best advice would be a) consider the interest of the group in the non-ride attractions in each park and b) consider how much the group would feel that they are missing by not riding. Either way, have a wonderful trip.

Last edited:
My inlaws are coming to visit over Christmas and they want to do Disney one day on Dec 17, either Animal Kingdom or Epcot. MiL will be in a scooter, but she won't be doing many, if any, rides do to neck surgery this past spring.

Do you think Epcot or Animal Kingdom would be more entertaining for someone who can't do rides?

I know at Epcot we can do world showcase and she could do Living with the Land.
At Animal Kingdom there is the Na'vi River ride (maybe - we've done this ride once but I can't remember if there were any drops), Festival of the Lion King, and the animal trails.

Na’vi River Ride doesn’t have any drops or warnings, but she would need to transfer.
Even if she can’t do anything at Pandora, it’s really cool to look around and is worth touring during the day and again after dark.
There are also performers at various times in Africa, Asia and Pandora

AK attractions without warnings where guests can remain in ECV:
Tough to be a Bug
Festival of the Lion King
Gorilla Falls trail
Wildlife Express Train to Conservation Station
Flights of Wonder bird show
Finding Nemo show
Rivers of Light - night show with lights, music and colored water
Light projection show with Tree of Life in the background at night about every 15 minutes.

Epcot has all the Christmas decorations to look at, which you can’t do any other time of year. The Christmas storytellers would also be out in WS.
These attractions have no warnings and she could probably ride, but would need to transfer:
Soarin’
The Seas with Nemo and Friends
Living with the Land (I have seen some small ECVs on the accessible ramped boat or she could transfer to a wheelchair)
Journey into Imagination with Figment
Spaceship Earth - the part where your ‘time capsule’ turns around and goes down backward may not be comfortable with a neck injury.
Grand Fiesta Tour at Mexico - It is a gentle boats ride and has no warnings, but I would not advise tiding it because the boats always bump into each other multiple times at the end

Epcot attractions with no warnings where she could stay in the ECV:
Turtle Talk with Crush and the attractions in the Seas
Circle of Life movie in the Land
Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival at Imagination
Reflections of China 360 movie
American Adventure
Impressions de France movie
O Canada movie

There are also many performers at various times of day in different countries

Me, personally, I would choose Epcot over AK simply for the varied food options and shopping; having said that AK is so very visually rich that I could happily spend a day there and never ride a single ride.

HS is great too; lots of good dining options and some nice shops; but I feel like it might be kind of "thin" for an entire day, unless you were to supplement with Disney Springs.

Thank you for the great suggestions. I forgot to mention we are doing Hoop De Doo at 6 that night so we won't be able to see any Christmas Decorations lit up.
Would that make a difference in what Park to do based on Christmas decorations?

I would ask your self this question ( or you MIL) do you like animals, Do you like to go and watch animals? I would do animal kingdom or do you like to talk and see people from all over the world then I would do EPCOT

I will say the show ( lion king, and finding Nemo) at AK is amazing, ( for me with no ride this would be a half day park to a 3/4 day park and it seem like that is how much time you have so this should not be a factor for you

but the world showcase is so cool to walk around and talk to people from other counties most have show you can go in and watch and learn more, some have an outdoor show to see ( and some are amazing)

EPCOT has some very cool places to eat but the new Pandora place to eat is very cool too.

Basically I do not think you can go wrong in what park you chose

Thank you for the great suggestions. I forgot to mention we are doing Hoop De Doo at 6 that night so we won't be able to see any Christmas Decorations lit up.
Would that make a difference in what Park to do based on Christmas decorations?

Oh we love Hoop Dee Doo! It's on our "must do" list every trip! :)

Although the Christmas decorations *are* gorgeous, they don't have to be lit up after dark to be enjoyed; they are every bit as pretty and festive during the day! :) In addition to "standard" decorations, btw, Disney Springs has brought back the Christmas Tree Trail again this year, which proved to be very popular last year; each tree decorated to a particular theme!

Ft Wilderness will also be decorated - and many many of the RVs and Campsites and Cabins will have put out their own decorations that they bring from home; it is truly sweet and charming and every bit as Magical as the Parks! :)

Both are good parks, but I love going to AK to see the animals (plus, Lion King and Nemo are 2 of my favorite shows on property!).

And have fun at Hoop! I love that dinner show

Oh we love Hoop Dee Doo! It's on our "must do" list every trip! :)

Although the Christmas decorations *are* gorgeous, they don't have to be lit up after dark to be enjoyed; they are every bit as pretty and festive during the day! :) In addition to "standard" decorations, btw, Disney Springs has brought back the Christmas Tree Trail again this year, which proved to be very popular last year; each tree decorated to a particular theme!

Ft Wilderness will also be decorated - and many many of the RVs and Campsites and Cabins will have put out their own decorations that they bring from home; it is truly sweet and charming and every bit as Magical as the Parks! :)

We stayed at the Fort last year and toured around on a golf cart looking at all the sites lit up at night. There was even one set up for you to walk through! Too bad we can't do that again this year...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter