Animals and Evacuations (AKL 4th of July Trip)

EpcotPhoenician

Thank the Phoenicians
Just posting a quick trip report from my 4th of July stay at AKL! I have visited AKL many times before, but never stayed here.

My room category was "Standard Studio" but was lucky enough to overlook one of the savannahs on the 5th floor of Kudu trail. And, even better, one of the giraffes was fed every morning right outside my balcony.

IMG_3161.jpeg
IMG_3294.jpeg
IMG_3471.jpeg

One thing I have noticed about this resort, is that it's the noisiest deluxe I have stayed at (the only deluxe I have not stayed at yet is Boardwalk). I'm not sure if it was because of the holiday weekend or what... but people were screaming in the hallways all hours of the night, as late as 1 AM. It also didn't help that my room had a connecting door, and my neighbors were night owls. Even with a towel underneath the door and earplugs, I could still hear their conversations all night. So, not much sleep was had on this trip. The resort was clean, and my room was in decent shape, and the front desk did respond to my noise complaints. It was just.... every single night, all five nights.

Even then, though, this view is unreal, and the details throughout the resort are the epitome of "old school Disney" attention to detail.

IMG_3486.jpeg
IMG_3360.jpeg

So, I attempted the parks 6/30 to 7/3. I'm not sure if I had bad luck or what. But I was evacuated off the following attractions:
  • PeopleMover (in the Space Mountain scene, which was neat)
  • Big Thunder
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Flight of Passage
It seemed like a really bad week for the attractions. They just kept going up and down all day, no matter which park I was at. The weather was mostly clear, so it wasn't weather related downtime.

On the 4th of July, I prepared myself for an afternoon at the parks with a holiday drink from the pool bar. The bartenders at AKL are all phenomenal.

IMG_3416.jpeg

Hollywood Studios was EMPTY on the 4th of July, which was a treat. I probably didn't need that drink. Most attractions at 5 PM were a walk-on.

IMG_3609.jpeg
IMG_3610.jpeg

I was also able to attend EPCOT's extended evening hours. Seeing the Land pavilion empty at night was oddly satisfying. Frozen and Remy had a 45 minute wait those few hours, so I ended up just hanging out around Future World (Soarin', Nemo, and Spaceship Earth), which was relaxing and worth it to me.

IMG_3577.jpeg
IMG_3570.jpeg

I would love to give AKL another try during a slower month (although, does Disney even have a slow season anymore?). I do believe the holiday weekend contributed to much of the craziness going on outside my room all night. The resort is gorgeous, and the cast members here are all fantastic. Especially the animal experts in the savannah areas outside the main lobby. They knew the answers to all my obscure questions without hesitation.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter