Animation: Ice Age

hopemax

Note to Self:
So I like many people, looked at the previews of this and looked at looked at the list of voices and style of some of the characters and was thinking, "huh?!."

But Ice Age has opened now, and it's got 70% fresh on rottentomatoes.com, other internet fans are telling me how enjoyable this movie turned out to be. It's not your Beauty & the Beast pinacle of animation, but it's a very funny movie that also gets you in the heart. And now I'm wondering if I should check it out after all.

The box office opening is huge After Friday's numbers the movie is on pace to break $40 million, which would make it the biggest opening for any movie in March.

So has anyone here seen it, or has anyone heard the Saturday numbers?

I thought this was going to be real funny. Previews looked great so went to see it first show on Saturday. Very disappointed. CGI animation is just so poor that could not get past it. Did not think was humorous, other that what is in previews. Story is so old, was waiting for it be over (except for where was mammoth going, which I do not think was ever answered). I am sure there are people who loved it, but did not hear this as I was leaving the theater. If you thought “Atlantis” was not the best, this is much worse.
http://www.nypost.com/movies/40333.htm

CGI animation is so poor? I guess that we saw a different movie then. The neanderthal people looked a bit rough, but the texture of the animals, and effects with the water were simply stunning. Sometimes, it seems as though the attitude around is if it isn't from Disney, then it isn't (very) good (at all). We saw Ice Age with a completely fully house of 200 around 4 PM on Friday afternoon and the audience was very pleased with it, for certain. For my wife and I, it mentally moved a lot quicker than Monsters Inc. did, so that was a plus. Oh well, we really enjoyed it including the quirky scrat. You'll see, just have an open mind, it's good.

We saw it Friday and thought it was very enjoyable. The theater was packed, and it sure sounded like the kids were having a good time.

There's nothing groundbreaking in it and no surprising plot twists. Some of the thematic elements even reminded me somewhat of Monsters (Large hairy creature plays straight man to funny-looking, wise-cracking sidekick. Evil creature trying to get hold of human baby, large furry creature determined to return it to it's home. ) There is more innuendo and double-entendre than Monsters, but it didn't stoop to the crude and lewd humor of Shrek.

The animation looked good, although a somewhat different style from Pixar. We loved the Scrat sequences. Overall, it was a gentle, humorous movie that you could feel comfortable taking your family to see and you will enjoy it too.

I don't think you can compare it to Atlantis, it's two different styles of movie. But, personally I liked it much better than Atlantis.

They showed the trailer to the Country Bear movie. Has anyone else seen this trailer yet? What do you think? I'm not so sure I'm going to like it.

Saw Ice Age today, the First show was 70% sold and we went to the 1pm it was sold out.Very quick moving, and I laughed harder then I did for Monsters or Shrek. (I loved Monsters Inc.) All the adults were laughing and as we were, I checked out the kids, they didn't get some of the humor. I would definitly see it again!! All should check it out. Atlantas was lousy.

Saw the trailer during Ice Age and my wife and I both said the same thing - "Howard the Duck is back". I don't know, maybe it won't suck, maybe it will be good. It always looked like a guy in a bear suit and I never could see past anything else.

I have never seen a trailer that made me want to stay away from a movie more that Country Bears.

we saw Ice Age on Saturday and I thought about 2 things,
The animation wasn't so great and most od the movies funny parts are in the trailer/previews.

Saw the promo for Star Wars Attack of the Clones :D
looks good to me

The weekend news is in: Ice Age was the #1 movie with $47.9 million. Aside from breaking the 3 day March opening (previously held by Liar, Liar) it was the 3rd highest opening for an animated movie ($62.6 million for Monsters, Inc. and $57.4 million for Toy Story). I suppose everyone will be watching to see what kind of drop off it has.

Like raidermatt said in the Universal thread, "competition is good," and it's certainly nice to know that animation isn't dead.

I also agree that competition is good!!! Hopefully disney will learn form this and Shrek. Whats the last disney animated move that was a big hit. Too me you cant count Toy Story/Monsters /Its tough to be a bug as they are pixar movies and werent created by disney at all but by a different company. I can think of Pochantas of Huncback but since then they have all been disappointments at the box office and in the sale of toys etc.
We will see what this movie ends up with at the end but will likely make more than Atlantis/Dinosaur/Tarzan etc. And it also likley cost less to produce.

Well I guess I'm just a kid at heart along with my husband because we absolutely LOVED Ice Age. My DS(age 9), DH and I went together. We laughed alot and cried. I guess I don't chose to pick apart a movie and try to find fault, unless it is really bad. I go in with the attitude that it is going to entertain me for an hour or two and Ice Age certainly entertained us. Mr DS is going again with a friend this Friday and I am jealous. I want to see it again so I can see if I missed anything the first time. I thought the animation was wonderful. I have no qualifications to really judge the animation except that it looked good to me. It left all of us with a "feel good" feeling and the desire to go back again. Oh, by the way, I really LOVED Monsters Inc. too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter