• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anniversary Weekend - Kid Free 8/30/14 - 9/2/14

mrincredible76

Mouseketeer
My Wife and i returned home Yesterday 9/2 from WDW from our Anniversary Weekend without the kids. Here's a quick rundown of our weekend the good and the bad(mostly good):

We arrived at the All-Star Sports resort on Saturday 8/30 right around 2:30PM. Received our Happy Anniversary buttons at check-in. Our room was not going to be ready until close to 5:00pm as we requested a king bed room so we left our carry-ons with luggage services as we had to make it over to the polynesian for the 5:15 Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show.

We grabbed a bus from All Star Sports and switched to the monorail at Magic Kngdom and headed for the polynesian. We had some time to spare so first stop was the Tambu Lounge where we both ordered our first ever Lapu Lapus. Certainly something you have to try at somepoint when visiting WDW.

Next we walked over to Luau Cove in the intense heat and waited to be seated. We have read mixed reviews about the Spirit of Aloha dinner show, but we were pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed the show. The fire juggler was amazing. The food was okay. Not spectacular, but the Yeungling drafts and Sangria that were included in the price certainly made it worth the price. It was hot and we were very thirsty.

After the dinner show, we had to leave right away and we were the first ones to leave when it ended as we had to make it over to Downtown Disney for the 9:00pm Cirque du Solei show. Thanks to advice we received on these boards, we took a taxi rather that the resort bus and we were able to make it on time. The traffic out in front of Downtown Disney was complete gridlock and it even the taxi ride was close to an hour.

We made it to La Nouba by 8:30 and had incredible seats and were able to enjoy the pre-show. The show itself started at 9 and was incredible. If you have never seen it, I certainly recommend it. Worth every penny.

After a long day, it was back to the resort for bed. Need to rest up for a full day at Epcot.

On Sunday 8/31, we woke up and headed right over to Epcot on the resort bus. we arrived a few minutes before opening and they let people in a few minutes before 9am. I almost did not make it inside. Magic band issues - there are still some issues with how information is linked to the bands and to family member accounts. I won't get into more detail as i was able to get into the park without too much hassle.

We hit Soarin', Sum of all Thrills and Mission Space while in future world. Crowds at Epcot were not bad at all. We had FP for Soarin and Mission Space, but neither had very long standby times in the morning.

Around 11:30 we headed to Mexico in the World Showcase. At noon, we would try our best to do some drinking and snacking around the World. We took a ride on the Three Caballero's boat ride in the Mexico pavilion while we waited for La Cava del Tequila to open at noon. At noon we found a table at La Cava for margaritas and chips and salsa. Blood Orange Margarita for myself and the wife had the Pineapple Margarita. Both were really good. Chips and salsa were complimentary for following La Cava on twitter. The salsa is spicy, but very good. On to Norway.

Once in Norway we rode the Maelstrom and then grabbed some schoolbread. A Carlsberg draft for me and an Aquavit shot for the wife.

In China, we enjoyed the Lucky Combo at the Joy of Tea which includes a bbq pork bun, curry chicken pocket, egg roll and ice cream. Good food to help soak up some of the alcohol. i had a Tisy Ducks in Love and the wife went with the Cantoloupy. We then headed for the airconditioned Reflections of China ciclevision film. Great place to cool off and the movie was very interesting too.

We walked past the outpost to Germany where we needed to throw on our ponchos as there were heavy rain storms in Germany. The rain did not stop me from enjoying an Oktoberfest - my wife went with riesling.

The sun came back out as we arrived in Italy where we finished our beverages from germany while we watched Sergio the mime entertain the crowd. We soon had enough of Sergio's act and headed for some shade in the Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar. This place is great! You definitely get the feeling of being transported to Italy. We enjoyed some italian meats and cheeses while I drank a Moretti La Rosa draft and the wife had a peach belinni. I highly recommend trying this spot at some point.

We made a breif stop in America. There is a kiosk in the American Adventure pavilion that has a pretty good list of American Craft beers. I enjoyed an Abita Purple Haze while the wife went with an Angry orchard hard cider.

On to Japan where i enjoyed a Sapporo draft and the wife a Tokyo Sunset while we watched the Taiko Drum show.

It was starting to get a bit late, and we still wanted to make sure we got a chance to see British Revolution and off-Kilter so we skipped over Morrocco and France and headed straight to the U.K. British revolution were great as always and this will be the last time we may get to see them with the entertainment changes coming on 9/28/14. After british Revolution we went over to Canada to see Off Kilter. I grabbed a Trois-Pistoles draft from the Canada drink cart and a Torontopolitan for my wife.

After Off Kilter was done, it was time for a break. We decided to check out Ellen's Energy Adventure because there was no line and it was airconditioned. We had read some bad reviews about this ride. It was long but it was mildly entertaining and a good place to get out of the heat after walking all over the world showcase for hours. We headed back to the world showcase re-energized for Illuminations. I grabbed a bass Ale in the U.K. and we headed back to japan to stake out our spot for the fireworks. once again, Illuminations was amazing. We headed back to our resort at the conclusion for some much needed rest.

On Monday 9/1 we went to the Kona Cafe at the Polynesian for Breakfast. Tonga Toast and the Big Kahuna plus a pot of Kona Coffee were exactly whet we needed after a day of drinking around the world at Epcot. We decided to put some of the vouchers that came in our Magic Your Way package to use and headed back over to Downtown Disney after breakfast. traffic was not bad at this time of day. We spend a couple of hours at Disney Quest and did a little shopping then grabbed a couple of drinks and a bite to eat at the bar at Planet Hollywood.

On 9/2 we checked out and flew back home, prior to checkout however, we used the in-room bounceback offer of free dining and booked a trip for August 2015 - this time with the kids.

Can't wait to come back. Already starting to plan.

Wow you did a lot for a weekend trip. We are going soon and can't wait to eat and drink around the world. Have to be on the look out for some of the drinks you had on your trip.

If you don't mind spending a few extra dollars, I highly recommend the margaritas at La Cava del Tequila over the frozen margaritas at the Margarita Stand. La Cava makes theirs with quality tequila and fresh lime juice and agave nectar. One of the best margaritas I have had. Plus, follow La Cava on twitter and receive the free chips and salsa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter