Announcements from D23 Destinations 2018

cvaska

Future Cast Member
What are we likely to hear announcement wise from the Disney Parks presentation? More details in project gamma? New cruise ship names? New DHS name?

Edit: I totally meant 2018, sorry

What are we likely to hear announcement wise from the Disney Parks presentation? More details in project gamma? New cruise ship names? New DHS name?

Edit: I totally meant 2018, sorry
We won’t know the Cruise Ship names until the ships are debuted for the first time to the world out of the ship yard. That is because a ship isn’t called by their name until that moment. They are called a number until then. It’s unlucky for a ship to be called their name until the moment it is introduced...So expect the ship names in 2021, 2022, and 2023. I believe those are the years the ships will be ready to sail.

We won’t know the Cruise Ship names until the ships are debuted for the first time to the world out of the ship yard. That is because a ship isn’t called by their name until that moment. They are called a number until then. It’s unlucky for a ship to be called their name until the moment it is introduced...So expect the ship names in 2021, 2022, and 2023. I believe those are the years the ships will be ready to sail.
I've also heard that before but the U.S. Navy for instance announces the name of the ship will before it's introduced. Many times they have the name announced when the 1st steel is cut.

That doesn’t sound right. The US Navy names years prior to construction even starting, and The Disney Dream and Fantasy were both named in 2009, but were shown off in 2011 and 2012 respectively.

That doesn’t sound right. The US Navy names years prior to construction even starting, and The Disney Dream and Fantasy were both named in 2009, but were shown off in 2011 and 2012 respectively.
I might be wrong on when Disney will announce the names of the ships (I'm sure they already know the names of the ships). I do know that they officially don't start calling each ship by its name until it is fully built. That is why the Disney Dream has a pub by the name of Pub 687. 687 was the name of the Disney Dream while they were building it.

I assume they won’t live stream the panel, so will any of the DIS team be there to live tweet it?

so will any of the DIS team be there to live tweet it

During the last several Connecting with Walt podcasts, both Michael and Craig have indicated they are attending this event. They are even planning for a meet up on Friday, November 16th @ 2pm @ The Outer Rim Lounge @ the Contemporary. I do not know if either Craig or Michael will be live tweeting the event. I do not recall if they have mentioned this. My guess is that there will be a recap at some point, just not sure how "live" it will be.

I assume they won’t live stream the panel, so will any of the DIS team be there to live tweet it?

During the last several Connecting with Walt podcasts, both Michael and Craig have indicated they are attending this event. They are even planning for a meet up on Friday, November 16th @ 2pm @ The Outer Rim Lounge @ the Contemporary. I do not know if either Craig or Michael will be live tweeting the event. I do not recall if they have mentioned this. My guess is that there will be a recap at some point, just not sure how "live" it will be.

Not sure if Destination D is the same as the D23 Convention but I know for some sessions there they restricted phone use during the sessions ... so my guess is more Craig will post on DIS social media updates of key things when he can but I wouldn't plan on live updates (or at least not constant ones)

and I assume there will be some # code developed/used on Twitter to read up on all the announcements (and various unrelated content that people just attached to popular hashtags to get noticed)

Not sure if Destination D is the same as the D23 Convention but I know for some sessions there they restricted phone use during the sessions

I forgot that they did this at D23 Expo for the Animation and the Live Action panel. For the Parks & Resorts panel they did not prohibit the usage of phones. I was posting to Facebook as fast as I could. For Destination D, since I have not been before, I don't know the protocol here.

I forgot that they did this at D23 Expo for the Animation and the Live Action panel. For the Parks & Resorts panel they did not prohibit the usage of phones. I was posting to Facebook as fast as I could. For Destination D, since I have not been before, I don't know the protocol here.
I don’t think they usually restrict much at Destionation D. It happens during movie portions at D23 because they don’t want leaks of the film previews they show.

I don’t think they usually restrict much at Destionation D. It happens during movie portions at D23 because they don’t want leaks of the film previews they show.
The announcements from Destination D also seem to be less “important” for lack of a better word. I don’t think we will hear anything too huge, but I do expect new details from already announced projects.

Are you saying this is a Disney superstition or a cruise industry one? All the other cruise lines announce the names of their ships before they even cut the first piece of sheet metal. That is almost a year of excitement building that the cruise lines would miss out on if people just had a number to call it.

We already know the new Carnival ship is called the Panorama, the RCL is call the Spectrum of the Seas, and NCL is the Encore and those are not coming out until 2019.

The announcements from Destination D also seem to be less “important” for lack of a better word. I don’t think we will hear anything too huge, but I do expect new details from already announced projects.

Or at the very least more focused for the "Disney fan" and less for the larger media fan - so I do think we will get some more info on the projects at EPCOT and maybe an opening date for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railroad .... but not expecting anything huge about, say, Star Wars Episode IX or the future of the MCU or things like that

Or at the very least more focused for the "Disney fan" and less for the larger media fan - so I do think we will get some more info on the projects at EPCOT and maybe an opening date for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railroad .... but not expecting anything huge about, say, Star Wars Episode IX or the future of the MCU or things like that
I’m pretty sure Parks is the only news exporting panel at Destinations as well

The Destination D page at D23 says the following. I don't know exactly what this means though. I thought they wouldn't allow cameras in the panels. However, outside of presentations, I bet it's OK.
  • Video or audio recording of any kind will not be permitted during the presentation and screening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!