Annoyed by Phone Addicted Park Goers

There is a lot of negativity and judgemental comments in this thread. For fellow food photographers, please don't be discouraged. I enjoy seeing Disney food pics, especially when I am thinking about ADRs. #disneyfood. It's a thing on social media and I love it
Taking pictures of your own food doesn’t bother anybody… And if it does they are just looking to be bothered. Keep taking those pics

I find this thread amusing. I can't help but think that if this was in the 80's- 90's, the complaint would have been about people holding up their 20lb. vhs recorders during rides/parades/fireworks, walking around with their walkmans all day, or that annoying flash of the Kodak Disc. There is ALWAYS going to be something...

Some people just need to spend more time enjoying their vacation, not looking for fault in the way others spend theirs.

I started reading this while in line for Space Mountain yesterday while on another solo trip to WDW.
Does that make me one of those people? .......
Honestly I don’t care.
I come to have fun. I do a lot in my phone while in the parks. And if I want to check Facebook while on the people mover than I’m going to do so. If I want to update Twitter while on Spaceship Earth than I’ll do so.

If that’s how “I” enjoy my day at the park what does it matter to everyone else?

I was on Pirates yesterday and there was a couple taking flash pictures every 10 seconds the entire time. They where having a good time and I’m glad they where having fun.

Speaking up as one who loves taking pictures of food. :wave: I do it all the time while traveling. I'm also mostly a solo traveler, so sharing things on social media makes me feel like my friends and family are with me. I'm not one with thousands of followers/friends. I'm only connected with people I know personally. And I like sharing food photos. Food is as much about a Disney trip for me as the attractions are, so I don't see how photos of the food is any different than photos of attractions or shows.

Taking pictures of your own food doesn’t bother anybody… And if it does they are just looking to be bothered. Keep taking those pics
I totally agree with the two above! There's a hashtag for following disney food pics on instagram. ITS A THING. If you dont like it, too bad. Mind your own business instead of worrying about people who take pics of their own food. Sheesh! Im a foodie, i take food pics all the time because I too am a solo traveller in disney. And guess what? I follow other foodies too. They have IG pages specifically on food alone. I LOVE IT! :)

Do you know what I got yelled at CONSTANTLY for as a kid/teenage? Reading a book. I was always reading. I would read in school (I got detention for it once), at the dinner table, at family parties, at the pool, and on vacation. My boyfriend [at the time] & I got in a fight because I was reading a book at a hookah bar we were at for his friend's birthday (sorry I'm not interested in hookah?). People complain about kids on their phones, but 15 years ago it was me & my damn books that my parents complained about. If the child wants to tune their surroundings out, they will, and parents will be annoyed by it. I probably should've read less & paid more attention to things when I was younger but the lack of a cell phone sure as hell didn't stop me from being distracted. :music:
Ha ha, thats funny. Getting in trouble for reading. Lol! :laughing: But youre right. If kids want to tune you out, they'll sure as heck fine a way to do it! If its not cell phones, it'll be books or something else.

Here's the thing. My vacation, I get to decide what's a good use of my time while I'm on vacation. You get to decide what is a good use of your time when you are on your vacation.
Yes! ::yes::

Some people just need to spend more time enjoying their vacation, not looking for fault in the way others spend theirs.
:thumbsup2 Yes!

We could definitely not be friends lol no offense... Its known that if any friends are with me and they try to take pictures of their food, my finger is going in the middle of it to mess it up. I'm 32 and can't stand social media for the most part. I just don't understand the fascination of caring what other people think.

If you did this to me, number one, we wouldn't be friends. Number two, your hand would be getting a very quick and painful introduction to my fork.

Social media isn't just about caring about what others think. It's a way of connecting with other people. One of my best friends lives in Australia - I'm in the US. Social media is one way that we connect and share with each other while being a world away.

You know its funny...years ago my Mom always encouraged me to carry a book so that when I was at a family function and bored, or waiting in a doctors office, or while riding a bus, etc. I could read my book and have something to do. It was ENCOURAGED. Now fast forward to today: is a teenager or an adult using their cellphone really any different? NO. It's the same thing. But the same people who would judge a cellphone user negatively probably wouldn't negatively judge a person sitting and reading a book on the bus. Just think about that for a while.

Just last year I was at my local car dealership waiting for a recall to be done on my car. I was sitting in the waiting room reading a book on my Kindle Fire. The older lady a couple seats down from me was reading a book. The older lady at one point made a comment to her husband about 'young people with their nose in their electronic devices all the time' (obviously aimed at me). I almost fell off the chair laughing. I couldn't help but point out to her that SHE was reading a book, and by the way, SO was I, mine was just in a slightly different format. She didn't have too much to say after that.

There are a lot of assumptions loaded in this diatribe. It never ceases to amaze me how fervently people will assert that because others interact with the world differently than they do, those other people are doing it wrong and "missing it all." I experience the world just fine. I also experience lots of things that you're missing out on due to your choice to forego the use of cell phones. This past weekend I got together with a lot of friends I only see a couple times per year, and my phone was how I captured and shared some really amazing photographs that will probably circulate in our group for years to come along with the story that goes with them. My phone was also how I was able to have the freedom to split off from the group to experience other things at the event we were attending, but still be able to get back together with them later and avoid missing out on quality time together. As for spending money to get away but still wanting to stay connected...honestly, the idea that being on vacation means not wanting to talk to any of the people you love is baffling to me. Do you go to WDW to escape your friends? Because you might need better friends if that's the case.

Wow. I apologize for the "diatribe". I thought I was just writing a few comments. I was going to let this go but your accusations towards me were way off base. The idea I do not want to talk to the people I love while on vacation has me stumped. My wife (my one true love) and I work very hard all year long and when we go on vacation it is for us to talk to each other, hold each others hands, have nice dinners with each other and spend all day basking in each others company. Not spend time talking about work or the house or the kids or the problems of the world. That is why we have been married for 44+ years. Second, I never said anything about my friends or not wanting to talk to anyone I love in my "diatribe". Something you added. Please don't add to my post. I have wonderful friends. I just choose to converse with my wife when we are together on vacation, not them. Oh, I can take pictures as well-with a camera, that I can then share with my friends, when we get home. Finally, we are all entitle to our opinions in this country and just because we do not agree with each other is no reason to demean or insult someone. I wish you nothing but the best in this world but please do not assume I am loveless or need better friends just because I choose not to have a cell connection.

Its not just an American thing. I also see more families and groups using phones than solo travelers.
I get really annoyed by people using flash on rides, which also spoils the illusion for many riders because you see the background mechanics. I waited a long time to get on the ride and someone ruins it in a minute. I wish many times I can have a do-over on the ride.

And to address the other issues: Who cares what other people do with their phones as long as it isn't disrespectful to those around them? The problem is, many people don't have respect for those around them. And I see that here, too. "Its MY vacation and I paid a LOT of money so SCREW everyone else" who by the way are also on their vacation and also paid a lot.

Last edited:
And to address the other issues: Who cares what other people do with their phones as long as it isn't disrespectful to those around them? The problem is, many people don't have respect for those around them. And I see that here, too. "Its MY vacation and I paid a LOT of money so SCREW everyone else" who by the way are also on their vacation and also paid a lot.

The phones aren't the problem, the people are. And they would have the same attitude even without a phone in hand. Only then it could be using their camera for lighting, or putting a ton of glow sticks on their child before getting on a dark ride.

Wow. I apologize for the "diatribe". I thought I was just writing a few comments. I was going to let this go but your accusations towards me were way off base. The idea I do not want to talk to the people I love while on vacation has me stumped. My wife (my one true love) and I work very hard all year long and when we go on vacation it is for us to talk to each other, hold each others hands, have nice dinners with each other and spend all day basking in each others company. Not spend time talking about work or the house or the kids or the problems of the world. That is why we have been married for 44+ years. Second, I never said anything about my friends or not wanting to talk to anyone I love in my "diatribe". Something you added. Please don't add to my post. I have wonderful friends. I just choose to converse with my wife when we are together on vacation, not them. Oh, I can take pictures as well-with a camera, that I can then share with my friends, when we get home. Finally, we are all entitle to our opinions in this country and just because we do not agree with each other is no reason to demean or insult someone. I wish you nothing but the best in this world but please do not assume I am loveless or need better friends just because I choose not to have a cell connection.

Well, gosh, maybe now you know how it feels when a stranger makes sweeping, accusatory assumptions about the quality of your life and relationships based on whether or not you use a cell phone.

Since I started this thing, I just want to jump in and say that I have no problem with how other's spend their vacation. If people want to spend that much money to go to Disney and spend the whole time online on their phone, more power to them (a lot more power - several batteries worth). I have a huge problem with their behavior while on their phones. If you are going to use your phone that much than be aware of how its effecting others around you. There are common courtesies that help rule our society. Take note of them.

As for food and pictures, did you know that in NYC several restaurants are giving 10-20% discounts if a customer will hand in their phone upon entering the restaurant just because they noticed how much longer it was taking customers to eat. It seems that people would be on their phones instead of reading the menu or talking to the server. Not to mention taking pictures of food and asking the server to take pictures of them was also effecting the timeline of turning over tables. Interesting!

Here's the thing. My vacation, I get to decide what's a good use of my time while I'm on vacation. You get to decide what is a good use of your time when you are on your vacation.

I did qualify it with the words "to me", but I will generally overlook people who aren't interfering with me in any way. I simply don't understand the compulsion to share every little moment with everyone, and that has to do with my view on social media as a whole and not just in the parks. Meant no offense in sharing my thoughts.

I find this thread amusing. I can't help but think that if this was in the 80's- 90's, the complaint would have been about people holding up their 20lb. vhs recorders during rides/parades/fireworks, walking around with their walkmans all day, or that annoying flash of the Kodak Disc. There is ALWAYS going to be something...

My cameras would still be 20+ lb now, and need a full crew. Lol.

Since I started this thing, I just want to jump in and say that I have no problem with how other's spend their vacation. If people want to spend that much money to go to Disney and spend the whole time online on their phone, more power to them (a lot more power - several batteries worth). I have a huge problem with their behavior while on their phones. If you are going to use your phone that much than be aware of how its effecting others around you. There are common courtesies that help rule our society. Take note of them.

As for food and pictures, did you know that in NYC several restaurants are giving 10-20% discounts if a customer will hand in their phone upon entering the restaurant just because they noticed how much longer it was taking customers to eat. It seems that people would be on their phones instead of reading the menu or talking to the server. Not to mention taking pictures of food and asking the server to take pictures of them was also effecting the timeline of turning over tables. Interesting!

Okay, I don't think any of the phone users who have replied have been saying that they disagree with you re: the need to be considerate of others. I absolutely do agree that when someone else's behavior impacts you (lit-up screens on dark rides, people running into you, etc.) you're absolutely justified in being upset about it. Those behaviors would be rude regardless of whether they were carried out with phones or with other devices (or no devices at all). Where this thread has devolved is in several users casting judgment on phone users in general, heavily implying that people who use phones are living their lives incorrectly, and making disparaging remarks about hobbies related to social media.

As much as I've argued in favor of live and let live with phone use, I do recognize that there are boundaries that need to be recognized for the sake of etiquette. I don't think any of the people who have posted in defense of their phone use are against you in that.

This happened to us on Nemo, Haunted mansion, Spaceship earth and every time I told a CM at the end of the ride and they gave us a FP to get right back on..../QUOTE]

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS!!!

I thought about doing this last trip but thought it might be excessive. Thinking back it was a problem a few times, and I will keep this in mind for my next trip in August.

Now fast forward to today: is a teenager or an adult using their cellphone really any different? NO. It's the same thing. But the same people who would judge a cellphone user negatively probably wouldn't negatively judge a person sitting and reading a book on the bus. Just think about that for a while.
To me the difference is when reading a book you are expanding the mind, but when on a cell phone, its more likely than not you are on social media or texting.

Personally, I don't care what people do with their phones, until it affects me. If they are taking away from my enjoyment, i.e. blocking my view, etc., then yea, I am going to have a problem with it. My niece and a couple of her friends came to visit for a week a few summers ago. I would not let them bring their phones to the table when we were eating. We were out shopping and were waiting for an elevator and my niece texts me a question when I am standing right in front of her. Really????? Kids do not know how to communicate.

To me the difference is when reading a book you are expanding the mind, but when on a cell phone, its more likely than not you are on social media or texting.

Personally, I don't care what people do with their phones, until it affects me. If they are taking away from my enjoyment, i.e. blocking my view, etc., then yea, I am going to have a problem with it. My niece and a couple of her friends came to visit for a week a few summers ago. I would not let them bring their phones to the table when we were eating. We were out shopping and were waiting for an elevator and my niece texts me a question when I am standing right in front of her. Really????? Kids do not know how to communicate.
I think that can depend on what you're doing. A cell phone, especially nowadays, has a lot more for it than just on social media or texting. Expanding your mind can be had in a variety of ways on a cell phone and I say this as a book lover myself. My thirst for knowledge is aided and aided quickly by means of my cell phone. My love of games leads me to games that don't end (i.e. levels and levels and levels) so that I can keep on playing and strategizing how to win the level only to do it again and again.

Also in my area the police department, the city, the county and my neighborhood all use social media. It's really awesome and it's for a variety of things from very serious to the not so serious. Personally I like to keep in the know so while I was gone for 10 days down in Orlando I may have checked the social media sites used every now and then.

I do not, however, advocate for the ruining of other's experience by means of flash, brightness level of screens especially in dark rides, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!