Annoyed by Phone Addicted Park Goers

Have you never ventured over to the restaurants section of the Dis? Food pics are very popular! A trip report is so much better with pictures of the food!

I have but I still find amateur food photos annoying, partly as a chef and partly as a photographer, and partly because they make me hungry with no access to the food.

:laughing:

Tell that to my mom who will be 60 this year and is twice my age. She's the one on FB all the time, we'll be at lunch or dinner and she's texting, on FB, checking e-mail, etc.

Tell it to my mother-in-law who is 63 and will play FB videos with the volume up in cars, on FB all the time, etc

Don't get me wrong I check my phone but the older people around me have been on their phones more often than me for at least the last several years.
My observations have been that age has very little to do with whom has their face buried in their electronic pacifier.
It's an addiction:
http://www.businessinsider.com/science-behind-why-facebook-is-addictive-2014-11
I don't have an active Facebook account and I refuse to acquire one.
My time is better spent on research as opposed to engaging in gossip and discussing trivial personal matters.
But that's just my opinion......

My observations have been that age has very little to do with whom has their face buried in their electronic pacifier.
It's an addiction:
http://www.businessinsider.com/science-behind-why-facebook-is-addictive-2014-11
I don't have an active Facebook account and I refuse to acquire one.
My time is better spent on research as opposed to engaging in gossip and discussing trivial personal matters.
But that's just my opinion......

I live in a smaller area where few people understand tech, so that could have a lot to do with it. That said, Facebook is a business tool for me in addition to keeping up with friends(and I have several friends I wouldn't have had if not for Facebook, including most of my overseas ones), but there is a time and place for everything, and to me, having your nose in social media while on vacation is not a good use of your time on vacation.

Well the funny thing is that I'm pretty plugged in most of the time - I have an active blog, on FB, probably watch too much netflix. But I don't have a cell phone (we used my husband's for the trip) since I work at home and don't normally need one. My favorite cell story is - and I have a picture - while waiting for my husband to ride Tower of Terror - just outside on a concrete bench a duck came up and sat next to me. That was funny enough but the lady on his other side never noticed. He just sat there hanging out with us - while she was on her phone the whole time. Everyone around us noticed but her nose was too far down in her phone that she didn't realize. When she finally looked up - it shocked her so much - she yelled and off he went. I was thinking - so glad it wasn't anything more harmless than a social duck.

Well the funny thing is that I'm pretty plugged in most of the time - I have an active blog, on FB, probably watch too much netflix. But I don't have a cell phone (we used my husband's for the trip) since I work at home and don't normally need one. My favorite cell story is - and I have a picture - while waiting for my husband to ride Tower of Terror - just outside on a concrete bench a duck came up and sat next to me. That was funny enough but the lady on his other side never noticed. He just sat there hanging out with us - while she was on her phone the whole time. Everyone around us noticed but her nose was too far down in her phone that she didn't realize. When she finally looked up - it shocked her so much - she yelled and off he went. I was thinking - so glad it wasn't anything more harmless than a social duck.

See, to me that would be dinner. Lol. I watch a lot of streaming myself, but generally that ends up being through my Roku and not really on a computer. To be fair though, I am an actor, singer, and writer so it makes sense for me to watch a lot of television and movies. Next time I decide I am going to a movie in Disney Springs though, probably will just eat over there.

Have you never ventured over to the restaurants section of the Dis? Food pics are very popular! A trip report is so much better with pictures of the food!
I don't ordinarily take photos of food but I have on 2 occassions:

Disney and Universal trip for the sole purpose of my trip report--they were never uploaded to social media other than the DIS.

NYC because we enjoyed the uniqueness of the places we ate at.

I don't ordinarily take photos of food but I have on 2 occassions:

Disney and Universal trip for the sole purpose of my trip report--they were never uploaded to social media other than the DIS.

NYC because we enjoyed the uniqueness of the places we ate at.

My nephew likes to take photos of his Vegas buffet food. I just roll my eyes. Usually a plate full of crab legs.

My nephew likes to take photos of his Vegas buffet food. I just roll my eyes. Usually a plate full of crab legs.
Yeah but at the same time..it's hardly causing harm to you. Sometimes it's just about the memory you get.

I don't do photos of my food with the exception of what I mentioned but I do take photos of the flower arrangements my husband gets me (typically just 1-3 times a year). I guess to someone else that could be annoying if they were a florist for example.

I find it sad that technology has taken over so much that families are more interested in their phones than enjoying a vacation at Disney together. For example, going back from MK on the bus and a family of four were sitting nearby, young kids maybe 8 or 9, all with their noses in phones. They just left a Disney park - where is the joy of reliving what you did all day, talking about what you're going to do next? I guess they spent all day on their phones and didn't do anything fun at MK worth talking about. When my kids were that age, we didn't have phones to cart around, so we'd spend time on the bus laughing and sharing experiences, or even chatting with strangers around us about things they did or were going to do at Disney. There is no social interaction anymore, just social media, and that's a sad thing to me.

Literally the only time I've taken pictures of my food is when I was on a Disney vacation and planning to do a trip report here on the Dis! :laughing: Over in the cruise forum there's a very long thread devoted entirely to photographs of DCL food.

While I agree that having phones out during rides and shows is really rude (you're not supposed to have that screen lit up in a movie theater, so why would it be okay in a dark ride??), phone use in general doesn't bug me. When I visited Disneyland with my housemate, snapping photos throughout the day led naturally to a cheeky little summary post on Facebook each evening (usually making fun of whichever of us had "driven" the vehicle on whatever ride most recently took us into an ancient temple or the depths of hell or what-have-you). Playing around on my phone in lines also led to tons of extra fastpasses on MaxPass. The quick, candid, not-very-good and not-at-all-flattering photos we got of each other on our phones are some of the photos I love the most.

I could go further. I could describe how I use my phone when I go solo and how it helps me feel connected to the people who aren't there with me. But really, that's not what I want to get across, because it's a bunch of justifications that aren't really needed. At the end of the day, if someone else isn't hurting you with what they're doing, why make a big deal out of it? Why throw shade? When they do impact you--walk into you, have their light on during a ride, that kind of thing--yeah, I get it. I don't like that, either. But when someone's just doing their own thing? Maybe let them do their own thing and don't stress about it.

I have to admit to spending too much time on my phone while I'm at the parks, but I always make sure to do two things when taking pictures on rides:

- Turn the flash OFF (I refuse to trust the "auto" option)
- Turn the screen brightness all the way down

I also roll my eyes at people who take pictures of their food outside of Disney World, yet totally do it when I'm in the parks for the purposes of enhancing my trip reports.

One of these days, I'll take a trip to the parks and leave my phone in the hotel room for at least one day, even if it means missing out on some amazing Castle pictures (maybe I'll just make sure I do it on a non-MK day).

I live in a smaller area where few people understand tech, so that could have a lot to do with it. That said, Facebook is a business tool for me in addition to keeping up with friends(and I have several friends I wouldn't have had if not for Facebook, including most of my overseas ones), but there is a time and place for everything, and to me, having your nose in social media while on vacation is not a good use of your time on vacation.
This! Why would you spend hundreds of dollars on park tickets to check your facebook when you are on a ride. Why bother getting on the ride if you aren't going to enjoy it?

Had dinner at Boma yesterday. A larger party was walking to be seated ahead of me.

Their young teenage son was preoccupied with playing a game on his phone and followed my server instead of his family. His older brother had to make a detour to get his attention. He looked up for a second, changed his route, and continued on with his game.

I guess we can’t be friends:sad:
PS: I made that cheese tray :banana:

We could definitely not be friends lol no offense... Its known that if any friends are with me and they try to take pictures of their food, my finger is going in the middle of it to mess it up. I'm 32 and can't stand social media for the most part. I just don't understand the fascination of caring what other people think.

We could definitely not be friends lol no offense... Its known that if any friends are with me and they try to take pictures of their food, my finger is going in the middle of it to mess it up. I'm 32 and can't stand social media for the most part. I just don't understand the fascination of caring what other people think.
I’m not on any social media-NONE!
No Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat. Never have been!
I take the pics for me & my family so when we are talking about where we went, what we did & ate, I can remember!
I’m sure we would get along just fine, haha!

I’m not on any social media-NONE!
No Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat. Never have been!
I take the pics for me & my family so when we are talking about where we went, what we did & ate, I can remember!
I’m sure we would get along just fine, haha!

lol Ok that seems acceptable then. A friend of mine who is the worst with it thinks he runs a travel blog with 4 followers. I can't help but mess up all the pictures lol.

I use my phone in the park/in line (duh?) but I would never pull it out on a ride! I've been quite a few times the past 5 or so years, and my biggest issue on rides continues to be using a flash on the ride. I have seen people quickly pull out their phone & put it away again (checking texts I'd guess) but someone taking flash photos usually does it the entire.dang.ride. which just kills me. Also, gotta agree with some of the other replies, facebook is for old people now. :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter