Annoyed with neighbor's dog...

Have you ever really spoken to the neighbor about the dog? I would at least talk to them once before calling animal control. Once you call animal control, you run a chance the dog could be put down. At least make contact with the neighbor. If they didn't answer the door the first time you tried, try once again or leave a note on the door. Then let them know that when it happens again you will indeed be calling animal control.

Have you ever really spoken to the neighbor about the dog? I would at least talk to them once before calling animal control. Once you call animal control, you run a chance the dog could be put down. At least make contact with the neighbor. If they didn't answer the door the first time you tried, try once again or leave a note on the door. Then let them know that when it happens again you will indeed be calling animal control.
I did mention in a previous post that I politely told them I'm not a dog person and would hate to.see it get hit by a car.

I did mention in a previous post that I politely told them I'm not a dog person and would hate to.see it get hit by a car.
That's a start but it's not the same as directly saying that you'll be calling animal control next time it's out.

I never said I wanted .to call animal control..

Well, there have certainly been a lot of suggestions that you do that. I'm always hesitant to do that myself, but it certainly is one of the options.

We had a neighbor with a dog that used to get out all the time. It drove me crazy, so I can certainly sympathize. She would put her 2 dogs (one large, one small) out at 5 AM every day, leave for the day, then let them in when she got home at the end of the day. And they were barkers. Oh my, that got old really fast. I did call and report the barking issue, but I still never called to report the dog when it got loose, knowing they would likely take it to the pound.

I agree with all of the people who say call animal control. No one has to know it was you and not being a dog person doesn't make you a cold hearted person who wants to see the dog die after being hit by a car. If the dog owner is aware the dog gets out and doesn't attempt to remedy the situation they are irresponsible on many levels and are putting this burden on the people around them.

If calling animal control isn't something you want to do then you are going to have to find a way to live with it and as hard as it may be, stop letting it annoy you.

I'd tell the neighbor that the dog is pooping on your lawn (even if it hasn't happened yet, it will).

Well, there have certainly been a lot of suggestions that you do that. I'm always hesitant to do that myself, but it certainly is one of the options.

We had a neighbor with a dog that used to get out all the time. It drove me crazy, so I can certainly sympathize. She would put her 2 dogs (one large, one small) out at 5 AM every day, leave for the day, then let them in when she got home at the end of the day. And they were barkers. Oh my, that got old really fast. I did call and report the barking issue, but I still never called to report the dog when it got loose, knowing they would likely take it to the pound.

The first thing that happens when animal control picks up a dog is not to destroy the dig. The owner is contacted. Perhaps fined. Maybe not.

I would tell ac whose dog it was. In my town they bring the dog home and discuss the escaping problem.

My neighbor thought we all thought it was "cute" to have his dogs visit. No. One day I had enough, and because perhaps my subtle comments of "GO HOME!!" And a few choice comments comments about dog poop in the yard were not effective, I explained how lucky they were that the dig warden was not around, the fines for unlicensed dogs were huge.

No more visits.

The first thing that happens when animal control picks up a dog is not to destroy the dig. The owner is contacted. Perhaps fined. Maybe not.

I would tell ac whose dog it was. In my town they bring the dog home and discuss the escaping problem.

My neighbor thought we all thought it was "cute" to have his dogs visit. No. One day I had enough, and because perhaps my subtle comments of "GO HOME!!" And a few choice comments comments about dog poop in the yard were not effective, I explained how lucky they were that the dig warden was not around, the fines for unlicensed dogs were huge.

No more visits.

I didn't think they would pick up the dog and immediately put it down. I just think it's the first step in that direction and direct communication with the neighbor should happen first. Not "your dog keeps getting out" but instead "I will be contacting animal control next time I see it out".

Hopefully the owners have a tag on it, and/or the dog is microchipped. If the dog has things to identify then the owners will be contacted before anything further happens to the dog.
I also would hope that if the dog went missing that the owners would try to find it, first call would be to animal control.
If the owners just don't care enough after being contacted, or try to find their dog, then it is better off at a shelter where it has a chance of being adopted. They won't just put it down.

I don't think the OP owes the owners any explanation. When you know your dog is getting out repeatedly then you know that animal control could be called at any time. I say this as a dog owner.

Is the dog tagged? Get an appropriately sized have-a-heart trap and deliver it to animal control every time you catch him in it. Neighbor pays a fee to collect it every time. Neighbor gets sick of paying for his dog and fixes fence.

Is the dog tagged? Get an appropriately sized have-a-heart trap and deliver it to animal control every time you catch him in it. Neighbor pays a fee to collect it every time. Neighbor gets sick of paying for his dog and fixes fence.

That would be a huge inconvenience for me too.
Paying for a trap, driving it to animal control...

I guess I should make it clear this was more of a vent than a please tell me what to do kind of post.

That's not to say I don't appreciate the feedback but it really was not that type of a post.

They know it gets out.
They know I don't appreciate it it in my yard.
They know I am concerned it will get hit by a car.
They know their fence is not stopping the dog.

I do believe I'll start taking pics of it so that if a serious problem does arise I can show proof the dog was not confined to its own property on various occasions.

I only plan on calling animal control if there is an actual issue.

I am just irritated with the neighbors and how irresponsible of dog owners they are.

Were you just looking to see if you were being unreasonable in feeling annoyed, or were you looking for suggestions?

You seem to not want to do anything more about the situation. Saying you aren't a dog person and that you hope the dog doesn't get hurt are not the same as telling the neighbors directly that you expect them to make sure the dog no longer comes onto your property.

You certainly have a good reason to be bothered, but if you won't do anything more direct, you kind of lose the right to complain.

I guess I should make it clear this was more of a vent than a please tell me what to do kind of post.

That's not to say I don't appreciate the feedback but it really was not that type of a post.

They know it gets out.
They know I don't appreciate it it in my yard.
They know I am concerned it will get hit by a car.
They know their fence is not stopping the dog.

I do believe I'll start taking pics of it so that if a serious problem does arise I can show proof the dog was not confined to its own property on various occasions.

I only plan on calling animal control if there is an actual issue.

I am just irritated with the neighbors and how irresponsible of dog owners they are.

To answer your initial post, yes this does make them irresponsible pet owners. When posting things like this people want to comment and help, even if you state up front that you are only posting to vent. You are opening up a dialogue between people and the only way to avoid this is to not post.

As far as being annoyed by the situation, as I said upthread, if you aren't going to try and change it then let it go. I hope your neighbors wise up before something happens.

That would be a huge inconvenience for me too.
Paying for a trap, driving it to animal control...
When we had issues with neighbors 20+ cats animal control offered to loan us the trap and drop it off and collect when fine. Theyll just bill the dog owner. This is what you do to shift the responsibility for the dog back onto the dog owner. Doing nothing enables the pet owner and how miserable would you be if doing nothing led to this dog getting run over or biting a child.

Also just wanted to say that I am not against suggestions and will in fact implement some of them such as taking pics of the dog.
However some of the suggestions came off more as "law" as though if I did use a suggestion or did not use a suggestion given then I'd be the irresponsible party whether I had given my opinion on the suggestion or not...
I guess those posts came off that way because the posters were very passionate about the subject but it started making me feel uncomfortable and attacked.

Not to mention a number of diseases the dog could pick up, in animal shelter, if it hasn't been fully vacinnated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter