Annual Pass discount for Friend while on Points?

twbrown

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know if you can book a room with your annual pass for friends who are going with you while you are using points?

We are planning on going and staying at BWV. They are having a really good discount for AP holders and my friends were thinking of joining us. Can I book their room with my AP? Do they actually check for APs at check in?

Thanks!

They will often ask to see your AP. Unless the policy has changed, you can book up to 3 rooms with an AP...however, it also used to be that the AP holder had to be staying in one of the rooms. They may make an exception, since the AP holder will be on DVC points. It never hurts to call CRO and ask. Many of their policies seem to have changed over the years, so it would be best to get an answer directly from them.

However, once you are in the room they don't do ID checks to see if you are really staying there. So if you trust your friend to repay you, book the room, check in and hand them the key. (This is no different from the folks who stay at thier DVC room and book a room a POP for free dining!)

(This is no different from the folks who stay at thier DVC room and book a room a POP for free dining!)

:eek: Could you explain this one a little further . . . I have an idea of what you mean, but could you use a "scenario."

:eek: Could you explain this one a little further . . . I have an idea of what you mean, but could you use a "scenario."

There are folks who "claim" that it's cheaper with a family of four to get a room at POP during free dining and pay for the room then to pay DVC for the dining plan.

So if they go during free dining they make a package reservation at one of the values, go check in, get their keys and free dining stuff and never use the room. Instead they stay at their DVC resort. (Heck it's not just DVC, if you want to see hysteria break out go over on resort board and post about renting a campsite just to get EMH. Folks have a stroke about you "stealing" from Disney. Yeah... giving them MONEY for something I am not using is stealing???:rotfl: )

If you do this I would recommend putting the do not disturb sign on your door. (I do that routinely when I leave my Residence Inn room unattended on the weekends, just so they don't think I moved out and re-rent the room :scared1: )

Also, if you do this for a family of 4 then ALL 4 of you need to make the trip to your resort to check in. Disney wised up to the "mythical' guests during free dining a few years ago (Yes, that is probably stealing to "invent" kids that you don't really have just to get extra free meals LOL!)

As I said there are folks who get hysterical about this, but I don't find it any different then the times I use my points to keep the room until late in the evening and then check out. Yes, DVC could have "rented" my room if I hadn't done this, but I paid with the points. If I chose not to actually sleep there Disney is out nothing. (I have done this twice when it was summer and I had a LATE flight. It's nice to have the room to come back to and get ready. I am not big on the "shower' at the pool option. )

There are folks who "claim" that it's cheaper with a family of four to get a room at POP during free dining and pay for the room then to pay DVC for the dining plan.

So if they go during free dining they make a package reservation at one of the values, go check in, get their keys and free dining stuff and never use the room. Instead they stay at their DVC resort. (Heck it's not just DVC, if you want to see hysteria break out go over on resort board and post about renting a campsite just to get EMH. Folks have a stroke about you "stealing" from Disney. Yeah... giving them MONEY for something I am not using is stealing???:rotfl: )

If you do this I would recommend putting the do not disturb sign on your door. (I do that routinely when I leave my Residence Inn room unattended on the weekends, just so they don't think I moved out and re-rent the room :scared1: )

Also, if you do this for a family of 4 then ALL 4 of you need to make the trip to your resort to check in. Disney wised up to the "mythical' guests during free dining a few years ago (Yes, that is probably stealing to "invent" kids that you don't really have just to get extra free meals LOL!)

As I said there are folks who get hysterical about this, but I don't find it any different then the times I use my points to keep the room until late in the evening and then check out. Yes, DVC could have "rented" my room if I hadn't done this, but I paid with the points. If I chose not to actually sleep there Disney is out nothing. (I have done this twice when it was summer and I had a LATE flight. It's nice to have the room to come back to and get ready. I am not big on the "shower' at the pool option. )

Holy Cow! Just when I thought I'd heard everything...Are there really people that would book a campsite just to get EMH? I'm not doubting you, I just can't believe it. As the UG to WDW once stated: "maybe its time for a nice relaxing week at the beach."

Holy Cow! Just when I thought I'd heard everything...Are there really people that would book a campsite just to get EMH? I'm not doubting you, I just can't believe it. As the UG to WDW once stated: "maybe its time for a nice relaxing week at the beach."

Yes, they do. As a matter of fact this "tip" was printed in the "Disney on a Dime" book (which may be the biggest waste of money I ever spent on a Disney book LOL!)

We just returned from a trip home to vwl on points. We used our AP discount to book a friend a room at the All-Stars. When I first tried to book, the CM about stroked out, saying we couldn't do that. When I explained that we were staying on site at the same time, it became ok. What they want to make sure you're not doing is booking a room for someone and will not actually be there during that time. The AP holder need not being staying at the same resort, but must be staying on property, and must be available when the others check in. In this case, we weren't there when they checked in, and they had no problem. It seems to depend on the CM handling the reservation, and the CM at check-in. Last year we booked a room for my parents at POFQ, and were there at check-in. I explained to the CM that my pass had expired (she asked to see it) but that I would be renewing it that day. She told me I had to come show it to her or the room would revert to the original rate. When I went back with the pass, she was with another guest. The CM I tried to show it to looked at me as if I was crazy, and the original CM had to step in and explain what she had told me.

All I can say is after doing this 4-5 times, it depends on who's having a good day or a bad day!

There are also DVC members who stay off site and book a studio day here and there, usually at BCV or BWV, to have several benefits. These benefits include EMH, Pool use and PH, a place for a respite during the day, limited DDP access, and free parking. It's no different that one taking a cruise booking a room to get access to the Atlantis amenities. Many of these also own small numbers of points simply to get perk access.

:thanks: Thanks for the detailed information:thumbsup2 I suppose this scenario would work best for a family with "adult" children as the DDP is very pricey for a 10-year-old.

I learn so much from these boards:worship:

I've seen the "stealing" posts and don't think they are valid, but there is another complaint where people have a point - there are a limited number of value rooms/campsites which will book full under certain circumstances and booking one and not using it removes it from circulation from someone who will use it. I don't know that I care, it doesn't really ping my ethics-o-meter, but I think its a more valid line of argument than the stealing one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter