Annual pass only makes sense for going more than once a year, right? Or wrong?

Farro

Argh.
We are going for 10 days May 2020. Room only, so buying tickets separately. We always get hoppers, no water parks. We purchase memory maker. Staying at Boardwalk Inn. No dining plan.

I see annual passes give people discounts on memory maker, hotel and other stuff. Do you still get to book FP at 60 days if staying onsite?

It wouldn't make sense for us to buy an annual pass, right? We would not go back within a year.
Or would it make sense to buy one of us an annual pass and one just regular park hopper so we can get discount?

Just weighing options, input greatly appreciated! :)

You need to do a cost analysis to see if it makes sense for you
If you will DEFINITELY get the Memory Maker, it will save you $169. You will save 20% off of merchandise (how much do you realistically plan to spend?)
And you will save on SOME dining (usually 10%), but not at Quick Service locations so you need to spend $1,000 at included table service restaurants to save $100.
There is usually passholder discounts on rooms, too. That might save you some money as well.
I might lean towards buying ONE pass, being that the difference in ticket price vs pass is about $300, and if you take MM out of there, you only need to save $130 more to break even (or $13/night at your resort). I think you would save that much on the room alone, and then the merch and dining discounts would be perks for sure.

Thanks guys, this exactly the info I need!

We always get memory maker since it's just the two of us. We always do a table service dinner each night, with wine, so we will reach $1000.

What about blackout dates though, I would be out of luck right? We are going 5/6/20- 5/15/20. Anyway to know in advance?

The only downfall is that you get the AP and then you plan more trips!

Thanks guys, this exactly the info I need!

We always get memory maker since it's just the two of us. We always do a table service dinner each night, with wine, so we will reach $1000.

What about blackout dates though, I would be out of luck right? We are going 5/6/20- 5/15/20. Anyway to know in advance?
The Platinum Pass does not have any blackout dates. (Assuming you are not DVC or Florida Resident, I believe that is the only option available to you)

The only downfall is that you get the AP and then you plan more trips!

The Platinum Pass does not have any blackout dates. (Assuming you are not DVC or Florida Resident, I believe that is the only option available to you)

Do you mean only option to buy period? Or only option with no blackout dates, but can purchase option with lower price that includes blackout dates? Not DVC or Florida resident.

I calculated that two separate trips of 4-5 days each made an AP worth it (just from ticket cost alone). So I got one. But once you factor in the discounts and free memory maker, the saving adds up too.

I probably saved $300+ on my 6 day trip in November by having an AP.. About $100 for the hotel, $100 in savings on souvenirs (both mine and my parents) and $100 in savings on food (even though I forgot to ask for discount in the chaos of one of the character meals).

Plus . the flexibility was awesome that is hard to put a value on. We did a half day on our departure day and didnt feel guilty that we were wasting a ticket.

So.. not sure if it would be worth it getting for everyone for one 10-day trip, but at least one person. The discounts will easily make up for the extra cost (over a 10-day ticket).

The downside to getting everyone an AP? You WILL be tempted to go again .. because .. its already paid for. I have our second trip planned in a month and already planning a trip in the fall before the AP expires.

Do you mean only option to buy period? Or only option with no blackout dates, but can purchase option with lower price that includes blackout dates? Not DVC or Florida resident.
The only generally available options are Platinum and Platinum Plus which do not have blackouts.

I believe that Florida Residents and/or DVC can purchase cheaper passes which do have blackout dates.

There are 2 options for non DVC/Florida Residents, Platinum and Platinum Plus, neither have any blackout dates.

We are going for 10 days May 2020. Room only, so buying tickets separately. We always get hoppers, no water parks. We purchase memory maker. Staying at Boardwalk Inn. No dining plan.

I see annual passes give people discounts on memory maker, hotel and other stuff. Do you still get to book FP at 60 days if staying onsite?

It wouldn't make sense for us to buy an annual pass, right? We would not go back within a year.
Or would it make sense to buy one of us an annual pass and one just regular park hopper so we can get discount?

And yes, you can book 60 day FP+ if staying onsite

Okay, so I guess no need to worry about blackout dates!

We would only purchase one AP, for the discounts.

I'll have to see how much everything is going to cost this coming May, which would be a year out. I'll weight between 2 length of stay hoppers or one length of stay and one AP.

Wish I could just buy now for both! :)

I bought 1 for a 5 day trip and it made sense. The discount on my resort alone made it cost effective. Of course now I’m going 2 more times I might not have done without the AP so.....:) on a 10 day trip though, it almost always makes sense to get an AP for everyone, except kids. Wish they offered a discounted AP for them!

Okay, so I guess no need to worry about blackout dates!

We would only purchase one AP, for the discounts.

I'll have to see how much everything is going to cost this coming May, which would be a year out. I'll weight between 2 length of stay hoppers or one length of stay and one AP.

Wish I could just buy now for both! :)

You can buy the annual pass now if you want, the year doesn't start until you activate it, which you wont do until you are there (unless something changed).

If you are staying offsite, add the park parking savings. If you are staying onsite, we can check for AP discount availability so you can calculate any savings from upgrading one of the passes to AP.
Edit to add: I see your trip is not until May *2020.* Well, we won’t know what kind of AP discount and availability there will be for May 2020 until probably January 2020. You don’t need to make this decision now. You can wait to purchase the AP or upgrade ticket to AP until you know the discounts that will be available during your trip.

Last edited:
If you are staying offsite, add the park parking savings. If you are staying onsite, we can check for AP discount availability so you can calculate any savings from upgrading one of the passes to AP.

Staying on-site in May 2020, but no car. Can I use this year's AP discounts for May as a guide? Or does it change often from year to year?

@The13thLetter Hmm. If the price increases after I buy, do I pay increase? thinking ahead to Galaxy's Edge pricing, might be good to get now.

I do not believe so, you pay now and that is it, but I have only purchased the AP once (last year) so I am not totally an expert so you may want to look into that a bit.

DW and I both purchased APs last year. We usually go once a year but our 2018/2019 trips ended up being 11 months apart so it was 100% worth it. However, if it was only 1 trip, I probably would have still purchased an AP (probably just for one of us though). We saved almost $400 on our room alone just by switching to the AP discount. Now that may vary depending on where you're staying and the discount amount/availability but for us it was a no brainier.

Staying on-site in May 2020, but no car. Can I use this year's AP discounts for May as a guide? Or does it change often from year to year?
Discounts and availability have varied from year to year. For example, I was not able to get an AP discount for Yacht Club in April, (I’ve been checking daily for months), but did get a different discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter