Annual pass only makes sense for going more than once a year, right? Or wrong?

Just to make the calculation even more complicated, if you have an AP you are then eligible to buy a Tables in Wonderland card for $150, which gives you a 20% discount (INCLUDING alcohol) at almost all table service restaurants at WDW. We did a 12-night trip last year and this saved us at least an extra $100 after taking the cost of the card into account, but we do a lot of table service meals.

For our trip between the free memory maker, Tables in Wonderland, and 20% merchandise discount we saved money buying one AP and one ten-day ticket vs. buying two ten-day tickets. But we spent a ton on food and merch, the calculation is going to be different for everybody. We did like being able to buy the AP-exclusive stuff. One downside for us was that we keep out finances separate and it was annoying trying to account for who spent what, since I was the one who always had to pay for merchandise in order to get the discount as the AP-holder.

Just to make the calculation even more complicated, if you have an AP you are then eligible to buy a Tables in Wonderland card for $150, which gives you a 20% discount (INCLUDING alcohol) at almost all table service restaurants at WDW. We did a 12-night trip last year and this saved us at least an extra $100 after taking the cost of the card into account, but we do a lot of table service meals.

For our trip between the free memory maker, Tables in Wonderland, and 20% merchandise discount we saved money buying one AP and one ten-day ticket vs. buying two ten-day tickets. But we spent a ton on food and merch, the calculation is going to be different for everybody. We did like being able to buy the AP-exclusive stuff. One downside for us was that we keep out finances separate and it was annoying trying to account for who spent what, since I was the one who always had to pay for merchandise in order to get the discount as the AP-holder.

That sounds exactly like how we travel, just two of us. We buy stuff! Eat table service every night, with wine.

Gosh, I'm thinking I should just go ahead and buy one AP today before any price increases? From what I read, my year membership countdown won't start until I actually activate it in May 2020 (when we arrive).

Any negatives to this idea?

We always get memory maker since it's just the two of us. We always do a table service dinner each night, with wine, so we will reach $1000.

If I am not mistaken, alcohol is NOT included in the table service. We were told at Yack & Yeti in November it was only for entrees. Not alcohol or non-entree food.

Agree with things others have posted. Try to fit in trips 11 months apart. We saved on AP discount for room. The memory maker that's "free" definitely needs to be added to the equation when you price it out to see if it's worth it. Agree it might be best deal for only one of you to get the AP.

That sounds exactly like how we travel, just two of us. We buy stuff! Eat table service every night, with wine.

Gosh, I'm thinking I should just go ahead and buy one AP today before any price increases? From what I read, my year membership countdown won't start until I actually activate it in May 2020 (when we arrive).

I would if you can. I made the mistake last year of not figuring out the AP was the better deal until the week after the prices increased. But it has been worth it to have it.

I used about the 10 days worth of tickets as the break point when we purchased our AP's. Then again we go at least three times a year for a week. Also the first year of our AP's (we bought them in June) was the anniversery year for MK so they had a lot more discounts including sit down meals at 20% discount (they are all back to 10% now). We get a photo pass so that was factored in as well. Be careful as well on the dinning discount because I don't think alcohol is included in the discount (you mentioned wine at every meal earlier).

As others have said I think one AP given your dinning habits, the fact you buy a photo pass and the length of stay would justify your purchasing at least one AP. AP discounts on rooms come and go really quickly and are usually date specified so they are not always easy to come by.

Have Fun!

Correct, buy the AP now. It's a voucher until you go there and activate it. So you can look at AP room discounts with the voucher too!

I never go more than 7 days but I believe you can only book FP for 7 days on the AP. After each of the first 3 days you could add FP for the 8/9/10th days but obviously they would not be the most desirable FP.

Just to clarify, the AP discount is 10% off food and non-alcoholic beverages at most TS restaurants. Having an AP allows you to buy for $150 the TiW card, which gives you 20% off food *and* alcohol at TS restaurants. Based on my calculations, if you are planning to spend more than $1200 at included TS restaurants (including alcohol) it makes sense to purchase the TiW card. But you do need to be AP or DVC or FL resident to purchase it. We are planning to purchase it because we do like wine too!

Staying on-site in May 2020, but no car. Can I use this year's AP discounts for May as a guide? Or does it change often from year to year?

The discounts that are out for the May time period were some of the best I’ve seen for deluxe in a long time @ 40% off for some, including the Yacht Club. What I’ve seen the past few years were around 30-35%. You can’t ever count on discounts, but they have been pretty consistent on being put out for years now. Availability dries up fast though. I booked my May trip the day the discounts came out and couldn’t get my specific dates for the YC, ended up booking the Beach Club, then watched and grabbed the YC when it showed up a few days later.

If you want a specific resort, book the day they come out and be as flexible as possible with your dates. But don’t buy an AP only for the discounts unless you’re willing to take the risk that there’s a chance they won’t be released or won’t be all that much. I don’t think either is likely, but it’s never a guarantee.

I never go more than 7 days but I believe you can only book FP for 7 days on the AP. After each of the first 3 days you could add FP for the 8/9/10th days but obviously they would not be the most desirable FP.
This is true unless you have onsite stays. If your stays are onsite, you are able to do FP for length of stay.

Correct, buy the AP now. It's a voucher until you go there and activate it. So you can look at AP room discounts with the voucher too!

Help!!! I'm trying to buy on website and it says delivery method - Will Call. Is that right???

Tables in Wonderland is really worth it if you plan to be there 10 days and eat at TS restaurants and have a few alcoholic beverages. The true break even point is $1500 though if you consider you are getting 10% with the AP at certain restaurants. TiW is accepted at many more places than the AP discount though. You can also use it for drinks at places like Nomad Lounge and Brown Derby Lounge. You also get valet parking at the resorts so if you choose to drive to another resort for dinner you valet for free! It was really great for us, a party of 4 adults. You would have to crunch the numbers as there are only 2 of you. Another advantage for us was they automatically charge you an 18% tip and we always tip more than that so we save a few bucks on tips as well...

Yeah! One advantage is that you can check AP discount availability online if you already have it!

Awesome!
One more question, I received a confirmation email with a barcode, is that my certificate? And a little over a year from now I happily present that to guest services at Epcot to get my pass?

Or do I get something else?

Awesome!
One more question, I received a confirmation email with a barcode, is that my certificate? And a little over a year from now I happily present that to guest services at Epcot to get my pass?

Yes, that's the voucher. You take that to any Guest Services (at any park or Disney Springs) with your ID and they'll give you the AP card for discounts and activate your AP.

Awesome!

Nope, the email is what you present! Be careful though, once you've got that AP bug, it bites hard...and it suddenly becomes easier and easier to justify Disney visits :tongue: We bought ours because two trips in the same year (ALL we had planned) made it cheaper...and now we have an additional September long weekend trip planned just to get a little more value before our year runs out and today we started talking about maybe a short jaunt this summer because we might as well, right.....? Enjoy it! We've loved the discounts on merch and food, and one of our passes nearly paid for itself when we called back about the room we ALREADY had booked and they gave us a refund on the passholder discount for almost $750! Woo!

Thanks guys, this exactly the info I need!

We always get memory maker since it's just the two of us. We always do a table service dinner each night, with wine, so we will reach $1000.

What about blackout dates though, I would be out of luck right? We are going 5/6/20- 5/15/20. Anyway to know in advance?

If you get wine, by the bottle, you should also evaluate Tables in Wonderland.

I think it’s only a ‘deal’ if you drink, but it’s a good discount, after the $150.

I'm jealous! Good for you! If I buy one, and my first park day is 11/6/2019, when is the last date I can go to a park in 2020 on the same pass?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter