Annual Pass question

dkr7166

Mouseketeer
Just got back from my first flight and 10 days with Mickey, although I had to share him with some chick named Irma. I've been thinking about when I would like to/can afford to go next and have a few weeks next year in November and December I am looking at. I think between the amount I regularly contribute to the vacation savings account and my daily WW rewards jar, it might be doable. I am also playing with the idea of shooting for another trip in September 2019, which would make an annual pass attractive. Since Photopass is included on the AP, it looks like that would be the way to go if I decide to do try to do both trips. The discounts should help me out too.

I know the AP holders typically receive resort discounts as well. If the trip for Nov/Dec 2018 has an AP discount available for the resort and I try to apply that, when does my year start? Would that be the day I apply the discount or the day I use it to get in a park the first time?

I'm also wondering about ADRs for solo travelers. My whole family went with me a few weeks ago, but it would most likely be just me on these next 2 trips. We were there during Irma and had 2 ADRs cancelled due to that. I was able to reschedule Chef Mickey's for myself, but no one else was available or interested in doing breakfast there vs. brunch. It was a little weird, but I had a valid explanation for what happened. It was still a lot of fun, but somewhat of a hassle trying to find someone to take my picture for me. The 3 I would definitely want to do are Chef Mickey, 1900 Park Fair, and Liberty Tree Tavern. Does something like LTT work when it is served family style for just one?

Just got back from my first flight and 10 days with Mickey, although I had to share him with some chick named Irma. I've been thinking about when I would like to/can afford to go next and have a few weeks next year in November and December I am looking at. I think between the amount I regularly contribute to the vacation savings account and my daily WW rewards jar, it might be doable. I am also playing with the idea of shooting for another trip in September 2019, which would make an annual pass attractive. Since Photopass is included on the AP, it looks like that would be the way to go if I decide to do try to do both trips. The discounts should help me out too.

I know the AP holders typically receive resort discounts as well. If the trip for Nov/Dec 2018 has an AP discount available for the resort and I try to apply that, when does my year start? Would that be the day I apply the discount or the day I use it to get in a park the first time?

I'm also wondering about ADRs for solo travelers. My whole family went with me a few weeks ago, but it would most likely be just me on these next 2 trips. We were there during Irma and had 2 ADRs cancelled due to that. I was able to reschedule Chef Mickey's for myself, but no one else was available or interested in doing breakfast there vs. brunch. It was a little weird, but I had a valid explanation for what happened. It was still a lot of fun, but somewhat of a hassle trying to find someone to take my picture for me. The 3 I would definitely want to do are Chef Mickey, 1900 Park Fair, and Liberty Tree Tavern. Does something like LTT work when it is served family style for just one?

Also keep in mind there is an ap discount for MNSSHP and MVMCP tickets as well, so that is an added value.

But how far in advance before I actually get to the park could I take advantage of the discounts? Would the AP begin the day I first use a discount or the day I first enter a park?

But how far in advance before I actually get to the park could I take advantage of the discounts? Would the AP begin the day I first use a discount or the day I first enter a park?

The AP, from my understanding, begins the moment you exchange the voucher for it. You should have access to discounts that don't require you to be in the park(special event tickets, hotels, etc.) immediately on purchase, but your photopass downloads, free parking, and meal discounts are obviously going to require you to be physically present at the parks. I am considering my first annual pass as well, so I am doing heavy research into it myself.

Anyone can book a room with an AP discount, you just have present / have an active AP when you check in.

Your AP year starts when you activate your AP at the park, not when you make an AP discount room reservation.

Keep in mind, AP discounts act like normal Disney room only discounts. The standard “the number of rooms available for this discount is limited” caveat definitely applies. It is not a given that you’ll always find AP discount availability that fits your dates/resort preference.

AP discounts (%) and their availability vary by season, resort, etc.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much! So it sounds like I would just need to buy the AP first in order to get the hotel discount and it would not start until I am physically there? I tried to look at it online, but you have to sign in and have an AP linked to your account first.

you don't necessary need to buy the AP to get the Hotel discount at booking, you can buy the pass a few days before the trip, it won't matter for booking purposes, only at check in they might ask for the pass. Have a great trip!

I bought my AP online, then made my hotel reservations.

So when you buy your AP, you get access to the hotel & other discounts on MDE. Keep in mind (if you browse the discount section you'll see many threads about this) that the hotel discount is NOT across the board for passholders, but a limited supply of discounted rooms that go on a first come, first served basis. But yes, from when you buy your AP voucher you'll be able to use discounts. The clock doesn't actually start ticking on your pass until you go to Guest Services and activate it that first day you enter a park. So for example, I had to let my pass expire last year and bought a new one this year. I booked a hotel using my passholder discount back in July for October, but my pass didn't activate until October 7th, and it will be good until October 7th 2018. Hope that helps!

When checking into a hotel with an Annual Pass discounted rate, do you have to show an activated AP card at that time?

The phone CM told me that the voucher won't work at check-in, but I'm not sure if that's correct. If it really has to be activated then it might be a bit inconvenient to stop at the parks or Disney Springs before checking into the resort.

Also an AP includes Photopass, which is awesome for a solo traveler. As long as there's a photopass photographer you can get your picture taken without having to ask strangers to handle your phone :D

When checking into a hotel with an Annual Pass discounted rate, do you have to show an activated AP card at that time?

The phone CM told me that the voucher won't work at check-in, but I'm not sure if that's correct. If it really has to be activated then it might be a bit inconvenient to stop at the parks or Disney Springs before checking into the resort.

In over ten years with up to three trips a year (not all on AP rate) I don't remember ever being asked to show the AP at the hotel for check in.

In over ten years with up to three trips a year (not all on AP rate) I don't remember ever being asked to show the AP at the hotel for check in.

For what it's worth, I was asked once for my AP at Port Orleans French Quarter. I think that's the only time I have booked an AP rate and it was maybe 3 years ago. I haven't stayed on an AP rate since.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter