Annual Pass worth it?

Carrie Ellis

DIS Veteran
Hi guys!

I am trying to figure out if one of us buying an annual pass would be worth it. I figured I would ask on the budget board since it is about saving somewhat! I have studied the benefits this year....I think I got that right!

The pass is about $900
We might be able to say $25/person on MVMCP (if a date is early enough when we go) up to 4 allowed so $100.
Save on parking $13/day for 8 days so $105 (we are meeting parents at RV so we will have a 2nd vehicle)
Save on Photo pass $100 (we are military so we would have paid about that much)
Save on Hoopdedoo (only 4 people) @ 10% so around $28
Save at Sci Fi (I didn't see a limit on people) @ 10% I am thinking maybe $25 (if only 10 people)
Save at Storybook Dining (I didn't see a limit on people here either) @ 10% I am thinking $55 (if only 10 people)
We are the campground/RV so I doubt we would get a discount on the RV site (December 14-22)

If we used all of above and subtracted from $900 we would be left at $485. Which is close to the 8 day ticket I was going to buy anyway. Then we maybe do one quick trip later in the year.

Is there anything that I am missing? My husband and I might go one more time that year....might. So I was trying to see if it was worth chancing it.

Any thoughts? I have never done an annual pass.

Carrie

For parking, the AP gives you free parking at the 4 parks, but I don't think it gives free parking at the resort.

Also, there is this disclaimer at the end of the dining discount page - Unless otherwise stated, discount excludes alcoholic beverages, applicable tax and gratuity, and is valid for the Passholder and up to three (3) Guests

So it sounds like discounts for only 4 people for SciFi and Storybook dining.

Last edited:
AP is the Devil! :) We bought our in September and we did the math just like you did. We only ended up spending a total of about $400 more than our tickets for our AP. Since then we stayed a week at Beach Club room only at a 35% discount so the AP has already saved us money. We also have a trip booked in April at AK Club Level for only $54 per night than a standard room so we are saving more. After that trip the AP will have saved us over $5000 not counting dining and merchandise savings so yes AP is worth it.

Keep in mind the savings will be eaten up by the desire to go back more than planned in a year! I’m currently experiencing that now. It also allows for cheaper upgrades. I “saved” money on our room pre-cruise and by saved I mean we spent $50 more so that we can now stay at yacht club instead of port orleans.... I’ve also added a short trip in June in addition to my Dec 2018 and August 2019 planned trips because hey I got a good discount and found cheap flights that coincided. Just be prepared to travel more than initially planned!!

We have had our AP's for 5 years, since we moved back from GA... We are FL Residents...

There are alot of benfits for AP holders...
20% off merchandise is super nice, free parking in the parks, food discounts, love the photo pass, then you get into AP holder promotion for hard ticket events, as well as room only discount...ohhh I almost forgot, AP holders have a turnstile at the parks to be able to use for easy entrance...

With the dinning discount, each person with the AP can use the the discount up to 4 guest... so if you and DH have a AP that's 8 people by the rules, As well we had a party of 10 and we got the whole check w the discount ... now with that said, we might have been granted some extra pixie dust, at Disney everything is not written in stone...

I would look at planning another quick trip, you can always look for AP holders deals for a great room rate.

For us, what made it "worth it" was planning more than one trip in the year. So we are getting discounts on resort room, merchandise, some of our dining, and we get the photos... but in the end an additional trip makes it cost more. And of course I thought we were only going to have APs for this year, and we didn't buy one last year for our youngest because she was still 2. And I was thinking that we would just buy her tickets for the next trip, but nope, dh caught the bug and told me to buy her an AP, too, and we'll renew the rest of them in the Summer. So now we're hooked. Thanks, Disney.

I wonder, with calculators for all things Disney, is there an AP discount calculator somewhere for us to figure out if it's a good deal to buy an annual pass for one person?

I wonder, with calculators for all things Disney, is there an AP discount calculator somewhere for us to figure out if it's a good deal to buy an annual pass for one person?
Might have to pull out your own and do the calculating. I'm in California and the AP was a good deal for two trips - 15 total days. I'm thinking of a third just before it expires and that would make it a great deal. Out of the blue some friends decided to go for a week and invited me - they're paying for the hotel - so that makes three trips (20 days total) and a really good deal. If I end up going in September that will make a total of 27 or perhaps 30 park days.

How many total days do you know you will go? How many more days do you think you MIGHT go?

In all honesty, the only true reason to purchase an AP should be for the unlimited admission for a year. All of the other perks can be rescinded or modified at any time.

As was pointed out, AP holders do not get free overnight parking at their resort but IIRC, there is no parking fee for the campgrounds anyway.

The dining discounts are limited to 4 people, one of whom must be the AP holder. The discount does not cover alcoholic beverages (unless they are included as a part of a diner show meal) and is only good at select table service restaurants. But most Disney restaurants participate. I like to use mouseperks.com to see which ones do. Tax is calculated on the after-discount total but the tip should be based off of the full price minus tax.

The current merchandise discount is 20% at participating stores. Most stores inside the parks and resorts honor the discount. Stores in Disney Springs will vary.

If you have a Disney Visa, you qualify for merchandise and dining discounts as well. The participating restaurants are fewer but don't dismiss this possible discount when you do your calculations. There is no annual fee for the regular Disney Visa.

Memory Maker is a deal only if you would have purchased it without an AP. And if two of you have APs, it's not as if you can count the discount twice. One Memory Maker gives you access to the Photopass pictures for everyone in your friends & family list, whether you were present or not.

The real downside to APs is that they sit in a drawer calling your name. Every time you see a good airfare rate or an awesome room discount, you're going to think "I have an AP, this will just be a quick, cheap trip". They're always too quick and they are rarely cheap.

Thanks everyone!

The reason I calculated $13 for parking is because we could park the extra vehicle at a friends vrbo and have them just swing by and pick us up. Fort Wilderness charges for a 2nd vehicle at the RV sites. Your first (mom and dad's truck) will not have to pay the resort parking fee. If we did add the big van to the RV site ressie we would have to pay $13/night but would not have to pay to park at the parks.

I just went a read the very fine print on how many people for dining and ya'll are right. In the matrix on the WDW site, it has some boxes that state AP holder and 3 guest. So, I was thinking the ones without that statement must be more. I believe the Tables in Wonderland allows up to 10 people? I need to read again. But, that is another $150.

I can't really count the MVMCP because we do not arrive until the 14th. We could miss any AP days with a discount.

I guess there are no discounts on dinner packages?

I know things can change but I feel like the 2019 benefits should stick until December. I do think we will go again but probably a long weekend over Food and Wine. Right now our "big" trip is December 14-22, 2019!!!
We are staying with my mom and dad in their RV and the rest of crew are staying at a VRBO!

Thank you so much for taking the time with this!

Hi guys!

I am trying to figure out if one of us buying an annual pass would be worth it. I figured I would ask on the budget board since it is about saving somewhat! I have studied the benefits this year....I think I got that right!

The pass is about $900
We might be able to say $25/person on MVMCP (if a date is early enough when we go) up to 4 allowed so $100.
Save on parking $13/day for 8 days so $105 (we are meeting parents at RV so we will have a 2nd vehicle)
Save on Photo pass $100 (we are military so we would have paid about that much)
Save on Hoopdedoo (only 4 people) @ 10% so around $28
Save at Sci Fi (I didn't see a limit on people) @ 10% I am thinking maybe $25 (if only 10 people)
Save at Storybook Dining (I didn't see a limit on people here either) @ 10% I am thinking $55 (if only 10 people)
We are the campground/RV so I doubt we would get a discount on the RV site (December 14-22)

If we used all of above and subtracted from $900 we would be left at $485. Which is close to the 8 day ticket I was going to buy anyway. Then we maybe do one quick trip later in the year.

Is there anything that I am missing? My husband and I might go one more time that year....might. So I was trying to see if it was worth chancing it.

Any thoughts? I have never done an annual pass.

Carrie

OMG, this is me exactly this year..down to the HoopDD and MVMCP and campground lol Nothing to add, just that I was crunching the numbers as well!
Now I will go back and read what everyone has said!

The real downside to APs is that they sit in a drawer calling your name. Every time you see a good airfare rate or an awesome room discount, you're going to think "I have an AP, this will just be a quick, cheap trip". They're always too quick and they are rarely cheap.

Yes, many times buying an annual pass ends up costing more in the long run because of all the "cheaper" trips you talk yourself into taking, but that's the beauty of Disney Math: you always win!!

We are lucky enough to be DVC and therefore only need to justify the Florida Resident rate - but I think you are good.

The only thing I will say is that we have definitely been pixie dusted in the past on the number of diners included in the discounts. Past performance is not a guarantee on future but you might get lucky.

TiW is great if you are drinkers - but only if the restaurants you are going to are on the list.

We are lucky enough to be DVC and therefore only need to justify the Florida Resident rate - but I think you are good.

The only thing I will say is that we have definitely been pixie dusted in the past on the number of diners included in the discounts. Past performance is not a guarantee on future but you might get lucky.

TiW is great if you are drinkers - but only if the restaurants you are going to are on the list.
OP has 10 people in her group. If they are dining together at each meal, they could break even pretty quickly. The break-even point is $750 in food and beverage purchases. Anything over that amount is a savings. The issue would be whether it's a good enough savings to exceed what she would realize with the AP or Disney Visa and not paying for a TiW card.

Last edited:
I am having a hard time making the numbers work for an AP! As of right now I am leaning toward no! My cousin is going and they own DVC. Can he buy one for me or do I need to be on his reservation? He is not a FL resident.
I know....you should not purchase an AP for the extra benefits but they are so expensive now that I don't see how anyone wouldn't without the benefits. For $900, you can just go twice a year with basic tickets. The restaurants we are considering are the new Artist Point/Snow White, Sci Fi, Hoop De Doo, and maybe the new Star Wars table service.

Thank you for all the idea!

I am having a hard time making the numbers work for an AP! As of right now I am leaning toward no! My cousin is going and they own DVC. Can he buy one for me or do I need to be on his reservation? He is not a FL resident.
I know....you should not purchase an AP for the extra benefits but they are so expensive now that I don't see how anyone wouldn't without the benefits. For $900, you can just go twice a year with basic tickets. The restaurants we are considering are the new Artist Point/Snow White, Sci Fi, Hoop De Doo, and maybe the new Star Wars table service.

Thank you for all the idea!
Your cousin can only purchase DVC APs for members of his household. However, he qualifies for some dining discounts just for being a DVC member.

I just saw this when I took a work break and was reading WDW news...I am nuts.

I read that there is a an AP Queue when entering a park. If I was to have one, can the family go through too? I don't want to sound like I am trying to get something for nothing but it would not be a benefit if it was just me with the AP!

TIA

I just saw this when I took a work break and was reading WDW news...I am nuts.

I read that there is a an AP Queue when entering a park. If I was to have one, can the family go through too? I don't want to sound like I am trying to get something for nothing but it would not be a benefit if it was just me with the AP!

TIA

I believe it is only the AP holder who can go through the AP queue. If you have underage children they may be able to go with you, but when we looked into this last year I definitely had the discussion with my husband that the kids and one of us would use the AP line and the other would have to go through the regular tapstiles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter