annual pass

GoonieBride

Lady Swan
We are looking into getting our first annual passes. We are a family of 4.
Thinking of getting Gold. We have plans to go in Nov by ourselves and then again in December with my in-laws and then again in May with my parents and sister's family. Plus we live 2 hours away, so it makes sense to get passes.

I was just curious how did you budget? How did you purchase?

Any and all tips are welcome.

Last edited:
We are looking into getting our first annual passes. We are a family of 4.
Thinking of getting Gold. We have plans to go in Nov by ourselves and then again in December with my in-laws and then again in May with my parents and sister's family. Plus we live 2 ours away, so it makes sense to get passes.

I was just curious how did you budget? How did you purchase?

Any and all tips are welcome.

I bought a 7 day parkhopper through an online seller when they were having a buy 4 days get 3 free sale. Then I upgraded it when I got to WDW. Saved some money that way, every little bit helps.

I did what @georgina did (although, I think I purchased a different ticket that saved more than the 7-day hopper at the time) and then paid the difference between it and the AP with Disney GCs that I had earned from a rewards program or purchased for less than face value.

I got my first one when AAA and Disney were still partners so I got a pretty good discount at the time, they no longer partner. When my son got his, I bought him the 7 day buy 4 days get 3 free from parksavers and he upgraded to an AP with those.

I bought a 7 day parkhopper through an online seller when they were having a buy 4 days get 3 free sale. Then I upgraded it when I got to WDW. Saved some money that way, every little bit helps.

Did the exact same thing.

There's no real "budgeting" to be done. It kind of is what it is. Figure out the price, find the best discount ticket you can and then bite the bullet.

Following... I'm considering getting one AP for myself to take advantage of AP discounts, the photo pass and it will encompass two trips on the very front end and back end of the pass... That's the issue - I'm cutting it really close with the number of days validating the cost of the pass. But I will definitely sign up for parksavers and watch for deals. I have plenty of lead time, our first trip isn't until NEXT October! Ack! XD

Are you a Florida Resident? If so, did you sign in and check the prices for a FL resident. I know when my cousin lived in Tampa, they did a monthly payment plan to spread it out during the year.

upload_2017-9-21_10-26-5.png

Are you a Florida Resident? If so, did you sign in and check the prices for a FL resident. I know when my cousin lived in Tampa, they did a monthly payment plan to spread it out during the year.

View attachment 271256
Yea it's great for Florida residents. We just renewed ours to platinum plus (gift from friend) since we go a lot and are only a 3 hr drive.

View attachment 271256

Yea it's great for Florida residents. We just renewed ours to platinum plus (gift from friend) since we go a lot and are only a 3 hr drive.

Yeah, I have looked at the payment plans. but still coming up with $500 at once is still hard.

Yeah, I have looked at the payment plans. but still coming up with $500 at once is still hard.
You have to look at this way. There is no need for the platinum plus unless you are going to use the water parks. Go for the gold/silver unless you plan on going during peak. Going one day with park hopper I think is close to $150. Both of you going multiple times will pay for itself in about 3 trips. Factor in the free parking, discounts, photopass. It's a one time investment that entertains you for an entire year.

You have to look at this way. There is no need for the platinum plus unless you are going to use the water parks. Go for the gold/silver unless you plan on going during peak. Going one day with park hopper I think is close to $150. Both of you going multiple times will pay for itself in about 3 trips. Factor in the free parking, discounts, photopass. It's a one time investment that entertains you for an entire year.

Some budget suggestions:
  • Buy a Disney gift card each week/month in an amount you can afford and then combined them into 1 GC on the Disney gift card site
  • Purchase each AP in different months so it is not $500 all at once
  • See if you can find a decent ticket savings through Mousesavers or Parksavers and then upgrade to the AP

Some budget suggestions:
  • Buy a Disney gift card each week/month in an amount you can afford and then combined them into 1 GC on the Disney gift card site
  • Purchase each AP in different months so it is not $500 all at once
  • See if you can find a decent ticket savings through Mousesavers or Parksavers and then upgrade to the AP
I believe they are Florida residents. Florida residents get better discounts than those websites.

I'm looking on Parksavers and see a "5 Day Ticket with Park Hopper--includes free day". It says it is a 5 day ticket for the price of a 4 day. If you want to upgrade to an AP when at WDW do they know what you paid for the ticket? Or is based off of what WDW charges for a 5 day PH ticket? Thank you!

We are locals, and have AP's and have had them for several years. Since your a FL resident you need to check out the different options for you and your needs. Take into consideration black out date's. Do you want water parks added in. Plus the different levels give you things like free parking, and other perks. Plus the benefits of discounted resorts room and such. Also there are discount for hard ticket events on certain nights. Plus the photopass perk is wonderful...

For us we are all in, we have platinum plus and it is so worth it. You just have to build it into your monthly budget. Since you live a couple of hours away, you can always come for a day at the water park, use the great shower's at the park and then head over to Disney springs for the evening, for bowling, a movie or dinner. When we first got our passes, we would come for a night and stay at one of the DTD resort hotels if we weren't going into the park, then we started coming for the weekend and staying at a Disney resort. We bought our pass as our Christmas gift to each other one year. You could let family and friends know you would like Disney gift cards, every little bit helps.

Do you think that I could purchase one at time then active them later??
Yes, just make sure that you tell them over the phone that they should just be vouchers. Once you both get them, on the way to the parks and stop at guest services and you should be good to go!

Do you think that I could purchase one at time then active them later??

That's how mine worked. I bought it online (monthly payments) and it was just a voucher (valid until 2030 I believe) that I had to take to Guest Services (all the ticket windows were closed when I got there) and trade for an AP Card which I immediately used to enter the park. The pass was activated on the day I went to Guest Services/Entered the Park, not when I bought it.

We're Florida residents (new ones) and we got the weekday select pass. It was cheaper than buying tickets for the little trip we are doing in Oct for little girl's 3rd birthday. We work Saturdays and church takes up some of Sundays so we won't go on weekends anyways. I also have no interest in going in the hot summer! And work is busiest at Christmas-basically all the blackout dates are times we won't go anyhow. I figured out that there are several Monday holidays that we could use the pass (so older dd doesn't miss school) plus Thanksgiving even and veterans day.

For us it's a good way to try Disney passes. I paid for them all at once but you can do monthly. Haven't activated yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter