Annual Passes + DVC = spontaneous trip?

slk537

<font color=red>Sigh...other than WDW, if I could
Have any of you found your AP's and DVC make you start thinking of just throwing in an extra trip where you didn't think you'd ever do one?

Originally, we thought we'd take a WDW break and save up for Hawaii in 2007. Which would mean at least 24 months away from our favorite vacation destination. So we talked about renting an RV for a 5 day weeked this summer and driving out to the Dakotas or Yellowstone or some such. The rental would be about $800 for a beautiful RV. Then gas ($150? $200?), food, spending money on top of that...then I started thinking...

I checked online and with my airplane miles we have enough for two free tickets in September. And a studio for eight nights would be 125 points. And our AP's are good until Sept 16. And the DP is available. And even better? Last Sept we went for DS's birthday - on the 23rd. This year we could go for DH's bday - on the 9th.

Suddenly I am thinking...$200 for one plane ticket. $700 for the DP for all of us. $150 for a rental car (and I can do better than that with time). Spending money....?

Suddenly a week long + vacation to WDW is looking almost more affordable than a long weekend in a (really nice) camper....

:woohoo:

I'm not saying we'll do it, but the whole possibility is awesome!

So...anyone else find themselves planning a DVC/AP trip because it costs less than the old standbys???

You're not alone. We stayed in SSR last June for 10 days. My vacations are given to us. So I knew last year when my first vacation was gonna be this year. Instead of a MYW ticket we bought the annual passes, so we could get 2 uses. With the DVC discount the APS were only $150 more than a regular 10 day MYW. Now we're sitting home during the summer thinking of something else to do and we decided to go back to Disney right after Thanksgiving for a long weekend. Then we did it again in January. So here we, with our upcoming trip in May, 4 trips in 1 year. 29 days used on our AP's. What a great year. And we stayed at 4 different DVC resorts. SSR, OKW, BCV and upcoming WLV.

I discovered the dangers of AP's years ago. My Mom and I bought our first ones in October 1998, thinking we would use it for that trip and for one the following October (one week earlier, before it expired). Right before the trip, before we even bought them, I got a flyer in the mail regarding Christmas packages. I thought, that would be nice to see everything decorated for Christmas just once, we'll have the AP's, I could probably work it out by getting a discount at a moderate, I found cheap plane tickets, it was wonderful. Then, a friend mentioned going in March for a long weekend. Why not, I have an AP! So 2 trips turned into 4. And that one time Christmas trip turned into 7 years in a row and DVC! Really saved money on that AP! ;)

Having an AP really saves me so much money.... :rotfl: I just booked a 5 day trip mid-August to take advantage of the free dining package. This year we cut back. Only a 9 day trip in Feburary, a 13 day trip in April, and a 13 day trip in October all at DVC location.....but just couldn't pass up a nice cheap trip mid-August @ Pop....free dining and usig the 2 onday passes for our next AP renewals....After paying with my Disney rewards points, my package costs $66. Of course, I still had to pay $161 rt airfare out of Wash. DC for hubby and myself. I have, however, cut way back from our 6 trips last year....love how much money my AP saves me.....been an AP holder since 1995!

I'm sure we're not the only ones that do this. After we come back on 5-30. We get our DVC points on 6-1. I think we're just gonna bank the whole year so we can work on our first child. That might mean we'll do all the traveling the following year. Who knows, maybe 6 trips on new AP's

We had decided not to go on a big vacation this year, and just do a quick anniversary trip (sans kids) somewhere close by in June. So we started looking into various options. Turns out that with a $50 Alaska Air companion ticket and our DVC points, we can spend a longer time at Disney, for less money, than at a nice hotel resort that's a half hour away.

But since we'd feel like cheats going to Disney without the kids, we opted for Vero Beach - a nice relaxing stay on the beach for a long weekend, with points left over to rent out, which will pay for our airline tickets and food... what more can you ask for than a "free" anniversary trip? Just booked it this morning.

Thanks everyone!!

I called MS today and everything I want is available...talked to DH again tonight and I will call tomorrow to make reservations!! :cool1:

DH isn't sure he can make a whole 9 night trip, but he can get off work for at least 5 nights so DS and I might be flying solo for a while.

LOVE my DVC!!

We did a surprise trip to MNSSHP last September. With the AP's, DVC and Southwest Rapid Rewards, it just cost us food and souvenirs (which was more than enough!).

We picked the kids up after school (they had a long weekend because of an institute day) and went to bed at the VWL that night! It was great.

Never would have done that if we had to pay for a room, tickets and a flight.

When SW offers those cheap flights, I have DVC points, and my AP is valid--I'm at WDW!! :thumbsup2

It's the AP that did it to me. The first year we got the AP we planned to add a second trip to our normal spring trip. That quickly changed our normal pattern to one spring trip and another the beginning of December, so now we are a twice each year visit to WDW couple. That lead to thinking about the DVC membership since we're at WDW twice each year...

So, the AP started it all. And now we're DVC members and we visit twice each year.

p.s. When I told my husband about this thread, he asked if I also added that after the AP purchased lead to the DVC purchase, the DVC purchase lead to the SunPass purchase for the Florida tollway. That was his idea. After we bought our membership, he said that guaranteed we'd be visiting Disney quite a bit in the future and maybe we should consider getting the SunPass now. So, we did! LOL

We started with the AP's and ended up at DW 6 times that year.

That obviously made DVC an easy choice.

slk537 said:
Have any of you found your AP's and DVC make you start thinking of just throwing in an extra trip where you didn't think you'd ever do one?

SW--ding fare + above so...
Mais oui mon petite poopy dog!

Jean

:thumbsup2 I just booked 5 nights at SSR for two weeks from now. I found out last minute that I could take a few days off and we have those AP's burning a hole in my pocket! OKW and SSR were available, so now I've got a very short countdown!! :banana: :wizard: :cool1: :cheer2: :bounce:

The AP's and DVC made us plan 4 trips to WDW in one year.

DVC + Annual Passes = Big Trouble!!

Yes, I will admit it, when we have AP's, we use that year for more than just one trip :teeth:

Good Ding fares from SW, and it's time to call.

We always plan two week long vacation trips on our AP's and DVC. However we usually also get a third trip in there too!!! Last year DH had a conference in Orlando and although we stayed at the JW Marriott (also very nice) we made use of our AP's everday!!! :) I'm hoping for another conference for this year. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter