Annual reading challenge 2017-come join us

#71/80: I Am Watching You by Teresa Driscoll (4/5) (Kindle First selection/British suspense)
Chapters are written from the viewpoint of several characters.

#72/80: Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (4/5) (humorous fiction)
Chapters are a variety of formats. Heard it was going to be made into a movie, so had to read the book first!

#73/80: The Late Show by Michael Connelly (4/5) (L. A. detective)
Think a female Harry Bosch. Hope this becomes another series!

#27 - The Whistler by John Grisham

We expect our judges to be honest and wise. Their integrity is the bedrock of the entire judicial system. We trust them to ensure fair trials, to protect the rights of all litigants, to punish those who do wrong, and to oversee the flow of justice. But what happens when a judge bends the law or takes a bribe?

Lacy Stoltz is an investigator for the Florida Board on Judicial Conduct. It is her job to respond to complaints dealing with judicial misconduct. After nine years with the Board, she knows that most problems are caused by incompetence, not corruption.

But a corruption case eventually crosses her desk. A previously disbarred lawyer is back in business, and he claims to know of a Florida judge who has stolen more money than all other crooked judges combined. And not just crooked judges in Florida. All judges, from all states, and throughout United States history. And now he wants to put a stop to it. His only client is a person who knows the truth and wants to blow the whistle and collect millions under Florida law. When the case is assigned to Lacy, she immediately suspects that this one could be dangerous. Dangerous is one thing. Deadly is something else.

#36 Blueberry Muffin Murder by Joanne Fluke

#37 Lemon Meringue Murder by Joanne Fluke

#38 Fudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne Fluke

#39 Sugar Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke

#28 - Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.

A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow - impossible though it seems - they may still be alive. A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

This book was okay. I'm not interested in reading the next one or seeing the movie.

#28 - Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.

A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow - impossible though it seems - they may still be alive. A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

This book was okay. I'm not interested in reading the next one or seeing the movie.

That's how I felt about it as well.

Wise decision, it goes down hill.
If you wany to watch a movie, watch the book trailer it was considerably better then the movie and much shorter.

Weeks 41 & 42 - I went to Disney World for eight days so I am combining two weeks. I read five books bringing my totals to 167/208. The books I read were:

Promises of Love by Juliette Duncan -Christian romantic fiction with happy ending.

Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe by Mary Simes - women's fiction. Hard charging NY city attorney engaged to marry another prominent attorney with political ambitions goes to a small town in Maine to fulfill a request made by her beloved grandmother with her dying breath. It leads to a series of mishaps and much self discovery and she ends up staying in the little town, marrying the nephew of her grandmother's lost love and opening the title bakery & cafe using her Grandmother's recipes.

A Nest of Sparrows by Deborah Rainey - Christian romantic fiction with a happy ending.

Stars in the Grass by Ann Marie Stewart - Written from the prospective of a 9 year old girl. A Presbyterian minister takes his family on their first ever vacation across country to attend a family event. The father and youngest son are hit by a car and the little boy dies. The novel chronicles the next year as the family falls apart struggling individually and collectively with grief, It was Christian fiction but not anything like the romantic, happy ending books.

Wonderful Lonesome by Olivia Newport - historical fiction about an Amish community trying to establish itself in Colorado.

Book #32/50: The Strain by Guillermo del Toro
Book #33/50: The Fall by Guillermo del Toro
Book #34/50: The Night Eternal by Guillermo del Toro

#28 - The Decoding of Lana Morris by Laura & Tom McNeal

Sixteen-year-old Lana Morris wishes her life were different: her Ice Queen of a foster mother won't leave her alone, and she has no friends but the other foster kids she takes care of.

Then she stumbles into a mysterious antique shop and trades her most valued possession for a single box of drawing paper: thirteen thick, blank pages, like thirteen wishes waiting to be made. Suddenly, impossibly, it seems Lana might actually have the power to change things. But wishing isn't always as harmless as it seems...

This is a teen novel, easy to read. There is a movie out or coming out with sort of the same premise with 13 "wishes", it may even be based on this book but it's more of a horror movie I believe. I would buy this for my teenage nieces.

#10/30: The Weight of Lies: A Novel by Emily Carpenter
Reformed party girl Meg Ashley leads a life of privilege, thanks to a bestselling horror novel her mother wrote decades ago. But Meg knows that the glow of their very public life hides a darker reality of lies, manipulation, and the heartbreak of her own solitary childhood. Desperate to break free of her mother, Meg accepts a proposal to write a scandalous, tell-all memoir.

Digging into the past—and her mother’s cult classic—draws Meg to Bonny Island, Georgia, and an unusual woman said to be the inspiration for the book. At first island life seems idyllic, but as Meg starts to ask tough questions, disturbing revelations come to light…including some about her mother.

Soon Meg’s search leads her to question the facts of a decades-old murder. She’s warned to leave it alone, but as the lies pile up, Meg knows she’s getting close to finding a murderer. When her own life is threatened, Meg realizes the darkness found in her mother’s book is nothing compared to the chilling truth that lurks off the page.

#11/30: The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George
The mesmerizing story of Queen Cleopatra in her own words - by bestselling novelist Margaret George, author of The Autobiography of Henry VIII and Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles. Told in the first person - from the young queen's earliest memories of her father's tenuous rule to her own reign over one of the most glittering kingdoms in the world - this is an enthralling saga of ambition and power.

It is also a tale of passion that begins when the twenty-one-year-old Cleopatra, desperate to return from exile, seeks out the one man who can help her: Julius Caesar. And it does not end until, having survived the assassination of Caesar and the defeat of the second man she loves, Marc Antony, she plots her own death ...

#12/30: Feast of Souls by C.S. Friedman
At the end of her bestselling Coldfire trilogy, C.S. Friedman challenged readers to imagine what a world would be like if sorcery required the ultimate sacrifice-that of life itself. Now, in Feast of Souls, she introduces us to a terrifying world in which the cost of magic is just that...in which the fuel for sorcery is the very fire of the human spirit, and those who hunger for magical power must pay for it with their lives.

In this epic tale of nightmarish shadows and desperate hope, the greatest threat of all may not be that of ancient enemies returned, or ancient wars resumed, but of the darkness that lies within the hearts of men.

#13/30: Wings of Wrath by C.S. Friedman
Wings of Wrath is the second novel in C. S. Friedman?s Magister trilogy, a true high fantasy replete with vampire-style magic, erotic action, war, treachery, sorcerous danger, and one of the most terrifying dragon-like creatures in fantasy. Against a backdrop of knife-edged politics and fearsome prophecies, those who are sworn to protect the human lands must discover the truth that lies at the heart of ancient legends, and find a way to defeat an enemy that once brought mankind to the very brink of destruction.

#14/30: Diana: Her True Story in Her Own Words by Andrew Morton
The sudden and tragic death of Princess Diana caused the world to reflect on how much this singular woman meant to us all. This new edition of her life story -- which includes Diana's personal recollections in her own words, as well as an account of the events surrounding her death -- poignantly strengthens her hold on our hearts.

From her fairy-tale wedding and the births of her two wonderful boys to the stunning collapse of her marriage, Diana's luminous but troubled life transfixed millions. Despite enduring heartbreak, illness, and depression, she never wavered in her commitment to the less fortunate, or in her determination to make a better life for herself and her sons. This revealing book is the closest we will ever come to her autobiography -- a lasting and powerful testament to her courage and spirit.

#15/30: Meg: A Novel of Deep Terror by Steve Alten
On a top-secret dive into the Pacific Ocean's deepest canyon, Jonas Taylor found himself face-to-face with the largest and most ferocious predator in the history of the animal kingdom. The sole survivor of the mission, Taylor is haunted by what he's sure he saw but still can't prove exists - Carcharodon megalodon, the massive mother of the great white shark. The average prehistoric Meg weighs in at twenty tons and could tear apart a Tyrannosaurus rex in seconds.

Taylor spends years theorizing, lecturing, and writing about the possibility that Meg still feeds at the deepest levels of the sea. But it takes an old friend in need to get him to return to the water, and a hotshot female submarine pilot to dare him back into a high-tech miniature sub. Diving deeper than he ever has before, Taylor will face terror like he's never imagined. MEG is about to surface. When she does, nothing and no one is going to be safe, and Jonas must face his greatest fear once again..

#16/30: Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors
Journey to dazzling seventeenth-century Hindustan, where the reigning emperor, consumed with grief over the tragic death of his beloved wife, commissioned the building of a grand mausoleum as a testament to the marvel of their love. This monument would soon become known as the Taj Mahal - a sight famous around the world for its beauty and the emotions it symbolizes.

Princess Jahanara, the courageous daughter of the emperor and his wife, recounts their mesmerizing tale, while sharing her own parallel story of forbidden love with the celebrated architect of the Taj Mahal. Set during a time of unimaginable wealth and power, murderous sibling rivalries, and cruel despotism, this impressive novel sweeps you away to a historical Hindustan brimming with action and intrigue in an era when, alongside the brutalities of war and oppression, architecture and the art of love and passion reached a pinnacle of perfection.

#17/30: Empress of the Night : A Novel of Catherine the Great by Eva Stachniak
Catherine the Great, the Romanov monarch reflects on her astonishing ascension to the throne, her leadership over the world's greatest power, and the lives sacrificed to make her the most feared woman in the world--lives including her own...

Catherine the Great muses on her life, her relentless battle between love and power, the country she brought into the glorious new century, and the bodies left in her wake. By the end of her life, she had accomplished more than virtually any other woman in history. She built and grew the Romanov empire, amassed a vast fortune of art and land, and controlled an unruly and conniving court. Now, in a voice both indelible and intimate, she reflects on the decisions that gained her the world and brought her enemies to their knees. And before her last breath, shadowed by the bloody French Revolution, she sets up the end game for her last political maneuver, ensuring her successor and the greater glory of Russia.

#18/30: Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie
The extraordinary story of an obscure young German princess who traveled to Russia at fourteen and rose to become one of the most remarkable, powerful, and captivating women in history.

The Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Peter the Great, Nicholas and Alexandra, and The Romanovs returns with another masterpiece of narrative biography, the extraordinary story of an obscure young German princess who traveled to Russia at fourteen and rose to become one of the most remarkable, powerful, and captivating women in history.

Born into a minor noble family, Catherine transformed herself into Empress of Russia by sheer determination. Possessing a brilliant mind and an insatiable curiosity as a young woman, she devoured the works of Enlightenment philosophers and, when she reached the throne, attempted to use their principles to guide her rule of the vast and backward Russian empire. She knew or corresponded with the preeminent historical figures of her time: Voltaire, Diderot, Frederick the Great, Empress Maria Theresa of Austria, Marie Antoinette, and, surprisingly, the American naval hero, John Paul Jones.

Reaching the throne fired by Enlightenment philosophy and determined to become the embodiment of the "benevolent despot" idealized by Montesquieu, she found herself always contending with the deeply ingrained realities of Russian life, including serfdom. She persevered, and for thirty-four years the government, foreign policy, cultural development, and welfare of the Russian people were in her hands. She dealt with domestic rebellion, foreign wars, and the tidal wave of political change and violence churned up by the French Revolution that swept across Europe. Her reputation depended entirely on the perspective of the speaker. She was praised by Voltaire as the equal of the greatest of classical philosophers; she was condemned by her enemies, mostly foreign, as "the Messalina of the north."

I really should update more often... this is a ridiculously long post. :rolleyes:

Next up: The Lost World by Micheal Crichton

Last edited:
Week 43 - I read five books this week which makes 172/208. The books I read this week were:

Born A Crime by Trevor Noah. This was based on a review by tiggerbaby and it was a good choice. Nonfiction stories from the author's childhood and young adult years growing up in South Africa as the child of an African mother and a white father under their crazy system of dealing with race.

Christmas In Three Rivers by Liz Isaacson - three novellas so counting it as one book. All themed around Christmas and a small town in Texas. They were standard Christian romances with happy endings.

Finding My Way Back by Erin Landy. Christian romantic fiction with the happy ending.

Twins For The Cowboy by Linda Goodnight. Christian romantic fiction with the happy ending.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt. Fiction. 14 yo June's best friend is her uncle who is a famous painter. At the beginning of the book the uncle dies of AIDS in 1987 which is early in the AIDs crisis. After lurking around the edges of the funeral, the uncle's long time, significant other reaches out to her. Slowly, they form a bond over their shared grief and loss. By the end of the book, the friend has also died but by that time June has acquired some life skills that will stand her in good stead to manage that and her ongoing life.

Week 43 - I read five books this week which makes 172/208. The books I read this week were:

Born A Crime by Trevor Noah. This was based on a review by tiggerbaby and it was a good choice. Nonfiction stories from the author's childhood and young adult years growing up in South Africa as the child of an African mother and a white father under their crazy system of dealing with race.

Christmas In Three Rivers by Liz Isaacson - three novellas so counting it as one book. All themed around Christmas and a small town in Texas. They were standard Christian romances with happy endings.

Finding My Way Back by Erin Landy. Christian romantic fiction with the happy ending.

Twins For The Cowboy by Linda Goodnight. Christian romantic fiction with the happy ending.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt. Fiction. 14 yo June's best friend is her uncle who is a famous painter. At the beginning of the book the uncle dies of AIDS in 1987 which is early in the AIDs crisis. After lurking around the edges of the funeral, the uncle's long time, significant other reaches out to her. Slowly, they form a bond over their shared grief and loss. By the end of the book, the friend has also died but by that time June has acquired some life skills that will stand her in good stead to manage that and her ongoing life.

So glad you enjoyed the book as well! It was one of those types that I kept saying to my DH, "Listen to this!"

#74/80: The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson (5/5) (nonfiction/Chicago World's Fair 1892/H. H. Holmes)
Reads like a suspense novel!

#75/80: The Rosie Effect (Book #2) by Graeme Simsion (3.5/5) (contemporary fiction)
A Sheldon Cooper-like Aussie and his wife are now living in NYC and she unexpectedly becomes pregnant. I liked the first book better, but might read a third if he ever publishes one.

The October reading update:
#49: The Green Berets, by Robin Moore
-an account from the Marines in the Vietnam War... depressing to re-visit those times but that is not a subject for the DIS.... ;)

#50: DK Pockets, Space Facts
-quick refresher on astronomy!

#51: Cooking of Japan
-an old Time Life book from the 1950's, so it's quite traditional! Makes me want to travel back in time and eat through the country but I bet some of those fish are extinct now...

#52: The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction: New Generation Far-Future SF
- a fun anthology with some short stories I had never read, from some sci-fi classical authors :)

#53: The Bravest Battle, by Robin Kurtzman
- a retelling, hour by hour, of the 28 days it took to burn and raze the Warsaw ghetto in 1943 and the courageous survivors who refused to be taken by the Nazis

#54: Miracle at St. Anna, by James McBride
- another war tale, this one is about the African-American troops wandering through the Italian mountain country, trying to survive in harsh terrain with no backup.

Currently working on three novels:

The Journals of L.M.Montgomery Vol II
Stargate by Pauline Gedge (no, not the movie or the TV show! different universe!)
and Black Water II, another anthology of spooky fiction stories

#36/60

Spook by Steve Vance

Not even worth reviewing. Short book, not well written, just something I picked up while waiting for some I have on hold at the library.

I'll never make my goal this year, lol.

#40 Peach Cobbler Murder by Joanne Fluke

#41 Cherry Cheesecake Murder by Joanne Fluke

#42 Ceremony in Death by JD Robb

My library seems to be missing several of the "In Death" series books. Anyone know a place that offers these CHEAP? Or even has them available online?

#42 Ceremony in Death by JD Robb

My library seems to be missing several of the "In Death" series books. Anyone know a place that offers these CHEAP? Or even has them available online?

Could you check your local library's website and see if one of the other branches has them?
I can put books on hold from almost any library in my state and have them sent to the one close to me.
Are they very good? I checked my library's site and they have about 12 of the "In Death" titles available. I may have to check them out.

I didn't realize it had been so long since I'd posted, so I'll just give a summary-

#43/58-Dose Vidanya (forgettable cozy-I even forget the author)
44/58-On Second Thought, Kristan Higgins, a real winner
45/58-The Prayer Box, Lisa Wingate
46/58-Clubbed to Death, Elaine Viets
47/58-The Only Witness, Pamela Beason, another winner
48/58-Shopaholic Ties the Knot, Sophie Kinsella
49/58-Beach House for Rent, Mary Alice Monroe
50/58-the Award, Danielle Steel, started with promise
51,58-Twenties Girl, Sophie Kinsella, I never thought Sophie Kinsella could write something I wouldn't like, but this was it.

Could you check your local library's website and see if one of the other branches has them?
I can put books on hold from almost any library in my state and have them sent to the one close to me.
Are they very good? I checked my library's site and they have about 12 of the "In Death" titles available. I may have to check them out.
Our library system covers three counties (at least 20 separate libraries) and NONE of them have about 8 of the books (there are 55 books to date). That is why i am looking for a cheap alternative, otherwise I will just have to skip those books. These are older books, the book I am about to start #6 is 20 years old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter