Annual reading challenge 2017-come join us

I am terrible at posting my finished books so my resolution will be to keep up better this year.

1. Huge
by James W Fuerst
From Goodreads: Sure, his IQ is off the charts, but that doesn’t help much when you’re growing up in the 1980s in a dreary New Jersey town where your bad reputation precedes you, the public school system’s written you off as a lost cause, and even your own family seems out to get you.

But it’s not all bad. Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett have taught Huge everything he needs to know about being a hard-boiled detective . . . and he’s just been hired to solve his first case.

What he doesn’t realize is that his search for the truth will change everything for him.

This is a YA novel which is more about growing up than being a detective. This kid has problems and the books lays them all out so it's not a happy, cheery kids book. But I can see how young teens could really relate to it. Worth the read if you like that kind of thing.

#2/80: Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham (3.5/5) (legal thriller)
I did not enjoy this as much as I have enjoyed his other books. Guess I just couldn't connect with the main character.
#3/80: The Sweetness of Forgetting by Kristin Harmel (4/5) (romance/historical fiction)
This was a present-day romance that had a search for people lost during the Holocaust in France. I enjoyed the historical fiction best.

I'm in! I am going to try to read fifty books this year - hopefully I'll make it!

#1/50 - The Bridge to Brilliance by Nadia Lopez
HIGHLY recommend this book - especially to anyone who is interested in education/works as an educator. It follows Nadia Lopez's journey as the Principal of a school in Brooklyn, NY and all of the triumphs, challenges, etc. that she and her students face. Really well-written and an empowering/inspiring read!

Thank you for joining me

The babysitters club Christmas chiller Ann m Martin

There are serval mysteries going on

1 who is stalking and scaring Claudia

2 who is trashing the neighborhood

3 who is the mystery woman

Finished book #3/70 - You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone by Kevin O'Brien

This was okay. There's a lot of murder. Pretty obvious who the bad guys are. 3 stars

No Forgiveness
Andrea Boyle moved to Seattle to give her seventeen-year-old nephew, Spencer, a fresh start after the death of his parents. Andrea has found her own new beginning with Luke, a successful playwright and father of a teenage son, Damon. The boys appear to have little in common, but in truth they share a private torment…
No Remorse
When a tragedy befalls Damon, it's just the beginning of a nightmare that unfolds. But the worst is yet to come once a dark secret from Spencer's past is exposed. And when Luke is brutally attacked, both of their futures are at stake.
No Second Chance
Now it's up to Andrea to prove Spencer's innocence to the police--and to herself. Because for reasons she has revealed to no one, even Andrea can't help questioning the truth--and fearing that she may be next to pay the ultimate price…

I'm not a part of the challenge this year but I like to follow it for reviews and recommendations. You guys don't mind if I pop in to review a book every now and then right?

In the news section of The DIS they reviewed a book called "The Disney Story".
It sounds like a neat read. I just got it so I'll let everyone know own how it is!

Ok, I am bad as I haven't been to the library yet(my area had a wonderful(not) snow of almost a foot.
I will be going tomorrow since it will finally be open and I will get my reading on.

2. Christmas Caramel Murder by Joanne Fluke
This is a cozy mystery series starring Hannah Swenson. Don't become an acquaintance of hers, you'll probably end up dead. This is #20 in the series. Hannah owns a bakery/candy shop and frequently runs across dead bodies. An easy, funny read PLUS they put in the recipes of the food she talks about.

I finished 2 more books today.
3. The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner 1/13 1:58pm (childhood favorite)
4. The Autism Revolution by Martha Herbert with Karen Weintraub 1/13 4:45pm

#1/12 - The Lake House by Kate Morton.

I love her books and with this one have read them all (she's working on the next one though!). Like the others it's a mystery from the past solved in the present through flashbacks. Easy to follow and gripping from the start. Great read!

Just finished my second of 58 pledged on goodreads-"Still Kicking" by Judith Arnold, one of the better cozy mysteries I've read.

Finished book #4/70 - The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan

This is about a librarian who loses her job and decides to open a mobile bookshop out of a van. It's a predictable story, but I still enjoyed it. Great story for book lovers, but some of the books she talks about are made up (which is frustrating).

Nina Redmond is a literary matchmaker. Pairing a reader with that perfect book is her passion… and also her job. Or at least it was. Until yesterday, she was a librarian in the hectic city. But now the job she loved is no more.
Determined to make a new life for herself, Nina moves to a sleepy village many miles away. There she buys a van and transforms it into a bookmobile—a mobile bookshop that she drives from neighborhood to neighborhood, changing one life after another with the power of storytelling.
From helping her grumpy landlord deliver a lamb, to sharing picnics with a charming train conductor who serenades her with poetry, Nina discovers there’s plenty of adventure, magic, and soul in a place that’s beginning to feel like home… a place where she just might be able to write her own happy ending.

I have finished two books this week which puts me on goal with 4 of 104 with two weeks down. I read The Bridge Club Ladies by Betsy Lerner which I managed to finish but never got connected to. It was a fictional memoir about a woman reconnecting with her mother by sitting in on her mother's bridge club which has been meeting since the woman was a child. The woman also talks with the other ladies of the club to try to understand her mother and the way she has lived. Maybe because all the characters were Jewish and I am not and have limited exposure or maybe because I have never understand bridge, I did not relate to it and it was a chore to finish. The other book this week was A Mother's Choice by Kristin Noel Fischer. I enjoyed this more. It is the story of a mother trying to figure out how to explain something she did many years earlier transitions well between the past and the present. I did guess the secret before it was actually revealed but not too much before.

5. A Mystic Mystery by Kennedy Chase 1/14 11:53pm kindle prime reading book. Cozy mystery with a touch of magic. Fun read.

For the past two years I have failed at posting my books. So, this year I am going to try and remember to post the best ones and not worry about keeping count.

I just finished A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. It so good. I loved it. Ove is a grumpy man who has just lost his wife. He has no desire to continue living, but a new family with young children moves onto his street and them, along with other neighborhood problems, helps give his life meaning again. I needed Kleenex in more than spot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter