Annual reading challenge 2018- Join in on the Fun

50/50 And Then You Dye by Monica Ferris, a Needlecraft Mystery. OK for light reading.

#51 In The Clearing by Robert Dugoni

Third in the Tracy Crosswhite series. I enjoyed the first two but this one wasn't as good.

Ok, so at this point I've read both a Hank Green and an John Green book this year. If you don't know anything (or much) about them, there was an interview with John on 60 Minutes last week. You can watch it here, starting around 16:00:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/the-kavanaugh-vote-john-green-the-pavarotti-of-pasta/

I've read a few John Green books no Hank. They were okay, I still haven't decided if I like him a lot or a little. Will say I remember the books better than many othes that I have read lately. Which brother did you like better?

I've read a few John Green books no Hank. They were okay, I still haven't decided if I like him a lot or a little. Will say I remember the books better than many othes that I have read lately. Which brother did you like better?

At this point, I liked John's book a little more. But he's got more experience as a novelist. I think if I give Hank a few more books I'm going to like his stuff better overall.

For some reason, the first page status has me at 20/20, although I think I last posted with book #17. It's been awhile...

#18/20 - Crazy Rich Asians - Kevin Kwan
#19/20 - When Life Gives you Lululemons - Laura Weisberger
#20/20 - Send Down the Rain - Charles Martin
#21/20 - Something in the Water - Catherine Steadman
#22/20 - Less - Andrew Sean Greer
#23/20 - Varina - Charles Frazier
#24/20 - The Dinner List - Rebecca Serle
#25/20 - The Mountain Between Us - Charles Martin
#26/20 - The Last Black Unicorn - Tiffany Haddish

Currently reading: Come Sundown by Nora Roberts
Next in Queue: An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green

For some reason, the first page status has me at 20/20, although I think I last posted with book #17.

Mine is doing that also. The first page has me exactly 3 books ahead of where I know I am.

20 Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton

I liked this book more and more as I read. I wasn't really sure if I would like so much as I took out of the library but this history based story really hooked me. Knew really nothing about the history of the ("Bone Wars") though surprisingly the Cadariff Giant popped up, one of the few things I do know about in that period and time.
William Johnson is not a true historic figure but in the book gets involved in the battle of rival paleontologists Othniel Charles Marsh from Yale and Edward Drinker Coke from Philadelphia. The reason why I was reluctant to read was I fugured book was going to saddled with annoying things of Western life. I like to point out here the word "saddled" makes me feel like I am not only one who would is annoyed with the annoying things that had to be done during this period.
Anyways the story was not burdened with these details in anyway, but did use the harshness and lack of geographical communications to build much suspense and drama into the story. Then through a famous western sheriff and kin into the story, and I loved it. There was a little point where Johnson seemed a little to obsessed with something and a reveal about the woman interest in the story that was just to from left field. But I let these slide in my five star rating because I enjoyed story so much.
Lastly, I thought it was interesting that this like a dinosaur bone was found after the passing of Michael Crichton, It would be interesting to see how much was created afterward, like how scientists create full skeletons and images form bones and fragments of the past animals.

I updated the people with incorrect book count. I will try to update the Author and Title info this week. It takes time.

If anyone is interested, I would gladly send a kindle gift version of any of my works “Written for You”, “Three Twigs for the Campfire”, “Cemetery Girl” or “Reigning”. You can see them all reviewed at Goodreads(Click to see). If you are interested in reading any just message me here or at Goodreads.

#27/30: Come Sundown by Nora Roberts.

I generally will pick up a Nora Roberts book when I'm waiting for others. While predictable, I know I'll get an interesting enough page turner usually filled with a mystery, a villain, and some sort of romance. This one was typical. Takes place in Montana (the setting sounds beautiful). Strong women abound! One was abducted many years earlier and then found after being held captive (think of the book Room and that's what happened). She integrates back into the family all the while they are trying to find her abductor. I had to skim through all the heavy romance scenes because I just got bored with it, but it was an okay story.

Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall with Lisa Pulitzer. Autobiography of a young woman who was raised in the FLDS (Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-day-Saints) a polygamist offshoot of mormonism. The book tells her story of being raised in a devout FLDS family, being married against her will at 14 years old then escaping the community and testifying against the sects' leader, Prophet Warren Jeffs, in a criminal trial for his actions in arranging that marriage. There was something about the tone of the writing that was off putting to me but I read it to the end because the underlying story is important.

51 of 52

#52 Tempting Evil by Allison Brennan

#2 in the Prison Break trilogy. Was just ok but will probably try book #3 in the series anyway.

At this point, I liked John's book a little more. But he's got more experience as a novelist. I think if I give Hank a few more books I'm going to like his stuff better overall.
John's books are weird. They all start with like tons of just hanging out, and then suddenly things unravel.

#69/90: The Fix (Amos Decker #3) by David Baldacci (4/5) (suspense)
Amos and the group are now working a current case in which Amos actually witnessed the murder/suicide).

#70/90: Overboard (Forgotten coast #10) by Dawn Lee McKenna (4/5) (suspense)
The book opens with Maggie adrift in open water. Chapters progress from events that led up to her dilemma to alternating between Maggie and those trying to find her.

#71/90: The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (Flavia de Luce #2) by Alan Bradley (4/5)
A lonely young girl becomes involved in solving a murder in her small English village for the second time.

All But My Life by Gerda Weissmann Klein. Autobiography. This is an older book having been first published in 1957 and reissued in 1998. Read an article that referenced it and my library got it out of storage for me. It tells the story of her three years in Nazi slave labor camps and a horrific three month forced march from Germany to Czechoslovakia during the winter. Two thousand women started the march but only 150 were still alive when rescued by the US army.

52/52

Goal met but there are still two months left in the year so I will increase my goal to 60 books of substance. I am also reading between 2 to 4 books a week in the fluffy categories but not keeping track of them.

Update time!
#43-Knot in my backyard-as the title suggests, a Cozy Mystery. Every now and then, I like to read one for a change. 3 stars, just OK
#44-The Good Fight, Danielle Steel-not typical of her for me, I expect a romance, but this was a great historical fiction (well, if you call the 60s historical) and for me, since it was days of my youth, I loved that I learned a little about events I sort of remember. Definitely a 5 star.
#45-The Summer that Made Us, Robyn Carr-sort of typical of her, but characters I hoped would play a major role didn't, not so great, another just OK 3 stars
#46-Cottage by the Sea, Debbie Macomber-do you know the story of Beauty and the Beast? I bet you do! This is kind of a real life B&B, if they told me one more time how big Keaton was-I GET IT! I love Debbie Macomber usually, but she kind of phoned this one in. Another 3 star.
My next one is part of the "Crazy Rich Asians" series. I really hope it's better (except for "The Good Fight", that was so good)

53/50. The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom.
It’s a powerful book about life in South during slavery. I read it based on recommendations here, and it’s definitely worth the time to read.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter