Annual Reading Challenge 2019

11/12 Class Mom: A Novel. -Laurie Gelman
A quick, fun read. Laugh out loud funny in parts. Suited my mood.

16/50 - End Game by David Baldacci. Genre - Thriller
End Game is the fifth book in the thrilling Will Robie series by international number one bestselling author David Baldacci.

Will Robie, highly trained assassin and the US governments most indispensable asset, is called to London.

An imminent terrorist attack threatens the Underground and with the US next in line, Robie is the perfect choice to stop it before it begins.

He knows he has one chance to succeed. One chance to save London. One chance to make it safely home to find out what has happened to fellow agent Jessica Reel following their last deadly mission together.

But Robie is about to learn that even if he succeeds, the worst is yet to come.

The game has started. Now only he can end it . . .

I enjoy Baldacci's books and this was not exception.

#28/50
"M" is for Malice by Sue Grafton

Slowly making my way thru the 'alphabet' novels by Sue Grafton. This one was very good.

The Good Sister by Leanne Davis. This is one of a large series with "Sister" in each of the titles. The plot in this one focused on domestic abuse. The descriptions of domestic violence were realistic but the plot line was not.

One Night In Tehran by Luana Ehrlich. Contemporary christian fiction featuring Titus Ray, an undercover CIA operative. It was a very different type of christian fiction and spy novels are not my usual pick but I am interested in reading more in the series.

47 and 48 of 104

#55/130 - Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

OMG, how in the world did this ever become a classic?!? I never read this when I was younger, though in college I had friends who adored the Brontes and tried many times to convince me to give it a try. Now that I have, I cannot understand why people love it so much. There wasn't a likeable character in the whole story and they all spent the entirety of it torturing one another for misunderstandings and social conventions they had little control over. The writing style is lovely and the storytelling through the eyes of a newcomer to the situation was interesting enough, but I kept waiting for some moment of redemption that never came.

#56 - Melt by Helen Hardt
#57 - Burn

Yeah, I said I wasn't going to continue on with this series after book 3. But I was having trouble sleeping one night and the next title came up in my Hoopla recommendations, so I decided to give it a try after all. I have all the same praise and criticism I've had right along - the characters are engaging and sympathetic and the underlying mystery intriguing, but the way it is drawn out is frustrating (especially with Hoopla's four book per month borrowing limit!) and each story seems to build it into an ever-larger conspiracy with each new story that has started to feel a bit implausible. The idea that the four main characters in the first two love stories and their families and friends and pasts are all part of this big and appalling series of crimes committed by the same three perpetrators is just a bit beyond belief. But I'm hooked enough at this point, and enjoying the writing well enough, that I'll probably keep reading through to the end.

#58 - Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

A chronicle of a young woman's impulsive decision to hike one of the world's iconic trails, this took me a while to get into but ended up being a pretty satisfying read. I didn't particularly like Strayed from the start. Her reasons for hiking the trail were very self-centered and sort of shallow, and some of the things she was running from were so purely self-inflicted that it was hard at times to sympathize. But the details of the journey were fascinating in a brutally real way that few hiking travelogues manage, the descriptions of the fleeting relationships that develop on the trail were engaging and by the end, the author's journey felt very authentic and relatable. We're going to be day hiking on sections of the trail this summer, which is why I picked it up, and I very much enjoyed the insights and level of detail she provided about the sections she walked. I even added a new stop - a hot springs oasis - to our itinerary based on her descriptions.

#59 - An American Marriage by Tanyari Jones

This was excellent, enthralling and heartbreaking almost from the first page. It is rare that I pick up a fiction book that so beautifully addresses a social/political issue in such a moving and human-level way, and the fact that this book did made it the kind of story that lingers in my mind long after I've returned the book to the library. The main characters are all likeable and sympathetic in their own ways, deeply human and each dealing with their own pasts/baggage while trying to build their lives. The main male character, Ray, felt particularly familiar, and the way he was railroaded into a conviction for a crime he didn't commit was horrifyingly plausible. The ripple effects of that conviction on his marriage, and on the rest of those who cared about him, shined a terrible light on the uniquely American issues of mass incarceration and racial bias in policing and brought to life the way those issues impact more than just the lives of those caught up in the criminal justice system.

19/50 - Counterattack: The Corps Book III - W.E.B. Griffin

The reason I love this series so much is because so many people know so much more about the battles in Europe than they do about the battles in the Pacific. While the characters (well most of them) are fictional all the battles are battles that actually happened and problems and incidents that happen are based on facts.

12/12 America’s First Daughter by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie
This is a novelization of the life of Martha (Patsy) Jefferson. It was a little difficult to get into but ultimately I really enjoyed this book. My frustrations with Patsy diminished as she matured. Great read. Also, I’m apparently reading more than I planned, so let’s see how many I read this year!

17/50 - Her Secret: The Amish of Hart County by Shelley Shepard Gray. Genre - Inspirational
After a stalker went too far, Hannah Hilty and her family had no choice but to leave the bustling Amish community where she grew up. Now she's getting a fresh start in Hart County, Kentucky... if only she wasn't too scared to take it. Hannah has become afraid to trust anyone - even Isaac, the friendly Amish man who lives next door. She wonders if she'll ever return to the trusting, easy-going woman she once was.

For Isaac Troyer, the beautiful girl he teasingly called "The Recluse" confuses him like no other. When he learns of her past, he knows he's misjudged her. However, he also understands the importance of being grateful for God's gifts, and wonders if they will ever have anything in common. But as Hannah and Isaac slowly grow closer, they realize that there's always more to someone than meets the eye.

Just as Hannah is finally settling into her new life, and perhaps finding a new love, more secrets are revealed and tragedy strikes. Now Hannah must decide if she should run again or dare to fight for the future she has found in Hart County.

22/50 Strip Tease by Carl Hiaasen I enjoy his books, but have always skipped over this one. I should have kept skipping it.

23/50 What She Knew by Gilly Macmillan This story is about an 8 year old boy who goes missing. I enjoyed the parts told from the mother’s perspective, but the parts told from the detective’s perspective felt like filler. I’m tired of the recent trend of unreliable female narrators, and found this to be an enjoyable read.

5 of 20: Star Wars: Master and Apprentice by Claudia Gray

An unexpected offer threatens the bond between Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi as the two Jedi navigate a dangerous new planet and an uncertain future.

A Jedi must be a fearless warrior, a guardian of justice, and a scholar in the ways of the Force. But perhaps a Jedi's most essential duty is to pass on what they have learned. Master Yoda trained Dooku; Dooku trained Qui-Gon Jinn; and now Qui-Gon has a Padawan of his own. But while Qui-Gon has faced all manner of threats and danger as a Jedi, nothing has ever scared him like the thought of failing his apprentice.

Obi-Wan Kenobi has deep respect for his Master, but struggles to understand him. Why must Qui-Gon so often disregard the laws that bind the Jedi? Why is Qui-Gon drawn to ancient Jedi prophecies instead of more practical concerns? And why wasn't Obi-Wan told that Qui-Gon is considering an invitation to join the Jedi Council—knowing it would mean the end of their partnership? The simple answer scares him: Obi-Wan has failed his Master.

When Jedi Rael Averross, another former student of Dooku, requests their assistance with a political dispute, Jinn and Kenobi travel to the royal court of Pijal for what may be their final mission together. What should be a simple assignment quickly becomes clouded by deceit, and by visions of violent disaster that take hold in Qui-Gon's mind. As Qui-Gon's faith in prophecy grows, Obi-Wan's faith in him is tested—just as a threat surfaces that will demand that Master and apprentice come together as never before, or be divided forever.

This takes place about 9 years before The Phantom Menace. Qui-Gon is in his mid 40-s and Obi-Wan is 17, and they don't really get along all that well. We learn a little about Qui-Gon's time as Dooku's apprentice, and there's an interesting political mystery. Claudia Gray is one of my favorite Star Wars authors, and I really like this one. 4 out of 5 stars.

Currently struggling my way through Weight of Glory by C. S. Lewis. Really hard to get into.

I've been flying through books this spring!

37. A book told from multiple POVs - Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

38. Last Vampire 3: Red Dice by Christopher Pike

39. Cheerleaders: The Third Evil by R. L. Stine

40. A book you think should be turned into a movie - Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Crisis by Sam Quinones

41. Your favorite prompt from a past POPSUGAR Reading challenge - an audiobook - How Not To Get Shot: And Other Advice from White People by DL Hughley

42. Funhouse by Diane Hoh

43. The Accident by Diane Hoh

44. A book that includes a wedding – May the Best Man Win by Mira Lyn Kelly

45. Read a book during the season it is set in - The Onion Field by Joseph Wambaugh

46. Cheerleaders 4: The New Evil by R. L. Stine

47. A book with a two-word title - Killing Floor by Lee Child

48. Down a Dark Hall by Lois Duncan

49. American Princess: The Love Story of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry by Leslie Carroll

50. A book set in Scandinavia - A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

51. Remember Me by Christopher Pike

Last Light by Terri Blackstock. I read and liked the If I Run series so I decided to give another of her series a try. This is the first book in the Restoration series. The premise of the series is that there was some type of electromagnetic pulse that is ongoing so there is no technology, no electricity, nothing motorized, etc. How I ended up with another dystopian type book, I am not quite sure but now that I have started the Restoration series, I did order the next one from the library. So I guess I am hooked on her writing style and the context is secondary.

49 of 104

7 A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
I liked it but Ove started to wear on me after while. I am usually a sucker fir inspirational books but I don't know it just must have caught me in bad mood.
If anyone is interested, I would gladly send a kindle gift versions of any of my works; “Written for You”, “Three Twigs for the Campfire”, “Cemetery Girl” or “Reigning”. You can see them all reviewed at Goodreads (Click on link to view books). If you are interested in reading any just message me here or at Goodreads.

Last edited:
13. Daughters of the Lake by Wendy Webb. Pretty good supernatural thriller. I’ld give it 3 out of 5 stars.

#60/130 - The Japanese Lover by Isabel Allende

This was a beautiful story, told through the eyes of two women two generations apart, full of social nuance and historical interest and human emotion. It is one of those stories that is about love without ever being a romance, and it explored the different things that love can mean to a person at different times and in different circumstances throughout a long life.

#61/130 - Surrender by Helen Hardt
#62 - Shattered
#63 - Twisted
#64 - Unraveled

The conclusion of the nine-book series I started a while back. These last books were just as uneven as the earlier stories, with some very likeable and compelling characters and an intense and addicting romance at the heart of the last trilogy, but an increasingly implausible conspiracy driving the underlying mystery. Very soap-opera like, with faked deaths and secret islands and lies about characters' parentage and a faked mental illness and the works. But I was too hooked to stop reading, so it clearly worked on some level!

6 of 20: The Weight of Glory by C. S. Lewis

The classic Weight of Glory by C.S. Lewis, the most important Christian writer of the 20th century, contains nine sermons delivered by Lewis during World War Two. The nine addresses in Weight of Glory offer guidance, inspiration, and a compassionate apologetic for the Christian faith during a time of great doubt.

This is a collection of lectures (I originally thought it was sermons .. which is how they are described in the summary). I found some of them hard to follow. Ending up listening to half of it via audobook, which helped. A lot of the context (wartime England) was lost on me. I prefer Lewis's other Christian works, like Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters. 3 out of 5 stars, and that's being generous.

#10/15

Why We're Catholic: Our Reasons for faith, Hope and Love by Trent Horn
As a Catholic I don't really need to know why I'm Catholic :) but I'm needing to counsel someone and this book just refreshes up all I have learned in the past. This is not a hard, dry educational book. Trent Horn takes it nice and easy. He puts forth the questions he was asked and answers them. I thought it was fantastic. If you have any questions and want some answers this is one book to help you out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter