Annual Reading Challenge 2019

41/75 The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

I wanted to see what the story was about. It took about 3 weeks to finish, and I read others because this took work to wrap my head around the story. I do not think I will tackle the Lord of the Rings.
I thought Lord of the Rings was much better than The Hobbit. I read Lord of the Rings first so maybe that's why.

26/50 - The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz. Genre - Horror
"I very much need to be dead"

These are the chilling last words left by a man who had everything to live for but took his own life. In the void that remains stands his widow, FBI agent Jane Hawk, determined to do what all the grief and fury inside her demand: find the truth, no matter what.

People of talent, seemingly happy and sound of mind, have recently been committing suicide in surprising numbers. A disturbing pattern is beginning to emerge. Jane is determined to give up everything to find out why.

Those arrayed against her are devoted to protecting something important – or terrifying – enough to exterminate anyone in their way. But Jane is as clever as these enemies are cold-blooded. And she is driven by a righteous rage they can never comprehend. Because it is born of love.

I stopped reading Dean Koontz a long time ago because I thought his books were becoming too gruesome for me. This one caught my eye and it's been sitting in my "stack (50+)" for several months. I needed a change of pace from Fantasy so thought maybe this one would do and it did. I didn't realize it was a series when I bought it and am not sure if I will continue through the rest of the books or not. It was good though, so I probably will. I'll just stick the next one way done below so it will be a while before I get to it.

I love these books, I've read them all several times. First time I've seen someone else talk about them. :)

I stole them from my dad about 15 years ago and have never given them back lol. My sister and I both read them probably once a year and listen to the audio books at work.

30/50 - Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

Alex - who’s mother in POTUS - and Prince Henry of “England” have a long standing feud but after a recent dispute almost caused an international incident at the Royal wedding they’re forced to pretend to be friends. Slowly their relationship becomes a real friendship and then something deeper develops. I loved this book! It had tons of humor and great dialogue and only followed a few tropes of the genre - Young Adult Romance (this is not a YA novel though I’d have definitely read it in my teens). Also has a really interesting social commentary on current world politics. A great first novel for McQuiston

Last edited:
38/50 One Day in December by Josie Silver
“Laurie is pretty sure love at first sight doesn't exist anywhere but the movies. But then, through a misted-up bus window one snowy December day, she sees a man who she knows instantly is the one. Their eyes meet, there's a moment of pure magic...and then her bus drives away.
Two people. Ten chances. One unforgettable love story.”

An interesting premise. I liked the last 1/4 of the book better than the first 3/4.

42/75. Triple Jeopardy by Anne Perry

I enjoy Ann Perry’s books and this latest one is a good one.

Kirby, I will try Lord of the Rings.

43/73 The Water is Wide by Pat Conroy

Written in the 1972, it tells of teaching on an island in low country SC. Recently we were on Daufuskie Island where his teaching took place. Amazingly, most roads on the island are still dirt, and much is still wild growth. Many who live there are descendants of freed slaves.

35AEC266-711F-442C-B017-EA4279B4EACC.jpegEFEC530E-0FE3-4CC6-9051-D0B06996236F.jpeg

15/30 - Guarding The Amish Midwife by Dana Lynn - murder/suspense
16/ 30 - Danger On The Ranch by Dana Mentink- creepy ex husband serial killer on the loose
17/30 - For A Good Paws by Linda O. Johnston - cozy mystery with a dog emphasis

39/50 Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan
This is the 3rd book in the “Crazy Rich Asians” trilogy. It was a fun read. I preferred the 1st book in the series, but this was a nice wrap up to the characters.

27/50 - Upon A Spring Breeze by Kelly Irvin. Genre - Inspirational
Bess Weaver, twenty and expecting her first child, is in the kitchen making stew for her beloved mann, Caleb, one minute, and the next she's burying him after a tragic accident. Facing life as a young widow, Bess finds comfort only in tending the garden at an Englisch-owned bed and breakfast - even as she doubts that new growth could ever come after such a long winter.

Aidan tries to repress his guilt over his best friend Caleb's death and his long-standing feelings for Bess by working harder than ever. But as he spends time with the young son his friend left behind, he seems to be growing closer to the boy's beautiful mother as well.

When a close-knit group of widows in her Amish community step in to help Bess find her way back to hope, she begins to wonder if Gott has a future for her after all. Will she ever believe that life can still hold joy and the possibility of love?

Quest for Love by Emma Easter. This is book two of the Sisters of Rosefield Series. I did not read book one but I got this one for free so I read it. It was standard Christian romantic fiction with the traditional happy ending wedding. The only twist was that the plot included a high ranking Islamic terrorist who converts to Christianity and turns out to be a long lost brother to the sisters featured in the series.

67 of 104

44/75 The Gods of Newport by John Jakes

I read a review here and decided to read it. Rich and unscrupulous folks in Newport RI in the last days of the nineteenth century.

Thank you OKW8297!

#37/50 Redemption by David Baldacci
Amos Decker and his FBI partner Alex Jamison are visiting his hometown of Burlington, Ohio, when he's approached by an unfamiliar man. But he instantly recognizes the man's name: Meryl Hawkins. He's the first person Decker ever arrested for murder back when he was a young detective. Though a dozen years in prison have left Hawkins unrecognizably aged and terminally ill, one thing hasn't changed: He maintains he never committed the murders. Could it be possible that Decker made a mistake all those years ago? As he starts digging into the old case, Decker finds a startling connection to a new crime that he may be able to prevent, if only he can put the pieces together quickly enough..

Fifth in the Amos Decker/Memory Man series

40/50 Two Years Eight Months and Twenty-Eight Nights by Salman Rushdie
“The novel is set in New York in the near future. It deals with jinns, and recounts the story of a jinnia princess and her offspring during the "strangenesses". After a great storm, slits between the world of jinns and the world of men are opened and strange phenomena emerge as dark jinnis invade the Earth. The jinnia princess and her children thus need to fight to defend the Earth and the humans.”

I wanted to like this book more than I did. The imagery and language aspects were excellent, but I didn’t care much for the characters or plot. Several times I found myself comparing it to Neil Gaiman’s books and thinking he could have done a better job with the story.

41/50 The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
“This is the story of what it's like to grow up in high school. More intimate than a diary, Charlie's letters are singular and unique, hilarious and devastating. We may not know where he lives. We may not know to whom he is writing. All we know is the world he shares. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it puts him on a strange course through uncharted territory. The world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends. The world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite.”

Wow. How did I go so long without reading this book? Loved it!

23. Second Time Around: A Novel by Beth Kendrick. A sweet story about 4 friends from college . A bit predictable but a nice read.

Last edited:
45/75. The Tuscan Child by Rhys Bowen

I read this because it was mentioned here, and I think it’s a good read! Takes place during two different periods, during WWII and then during the 1970’s as a woman tries to find the truth of what happened in that part of Italy during WWII.

#38/50
N is for Noose by Sue Grafton

Slowly working my way thru the alphabet....this was was just ok.

42/50 The End of the World Running Club by Adrian J. Walker
“Asteroids are striking Earth, the end of the world is near, and Edgar Hill is on the wrong side of the country from the people he loves most. Over five hundred miles of devastated wastelands stretch between him and his family, and every second counts. His only option is to run―or risk losing everything he loves. He has to be ingenious and push himself to the very limit if he wants to see them again. But what if his best isn't good enough?”

Another post-apocalyptic novel with a different angle. It was fine. I liked the secondary characters more than the main character.

31/50 The Cowboy - Joan Johnston

I read this trilogy ages ago and decided to reread it when the first book popped up in my library suggestions. I really enjoyed it still and I have the next two books on my list from the library and can’t wait to reread them as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter