Annual Reading Challenge--2020

Tried to read Where the Crawdads Sing for my work book club. Got about 30 pages in and gave up. Flipped to the end, found out how it ended, and I was glad I did.

62/80 The Preacher’s Wife by Kate Bowler

Socialogy study about the (Precarious) power of the wife in megachurches.

#42/60 She Lies In Wait by Gytha Lodge
On a scorching July night in 1983, a group of teenagers goes camping in the forest. Bright and brilliant, they are destined for great things, and the youngest of the group—Aurora Jackson—is delighted to be allowed to tag along. The evening starts like any other—they drink, they dance, they fight, they kiss. Some of them slip off into the woods in pairs, others are left jealous and heartbroken. But by morning, Aurora has disappeared. Her friends claim that she was safe the last time they saw her, right before she went to sleep. An exhaustive investigation is launched, but no trace of the teenager is ever found.

Thirty years later, Aurora’s body is unearthed in a hideaway that only the six friends knew about, and Jonah Sheens is put in charge of solving the long-cold case. Back in 1983, as a young cop in their small town, he had known the teenagers—including Aurora—personally, even before taking part in the search. Now he’s determined to finally get to the truth of what happened that night. Sheens’s investigation brings the members of the camping party back to the forest, where they will be confronted once again with the events that left one of them dead, and all of them profoundly changed forever.

This one was ok. Good but not great. Supposed to be the first in a new series but I probably won't continue with the series.

63/80
Update time!

34/56-Live and Let Chai, Bree Baker-3 stars
35/56-The Sea Glass Cottage, ReaAnne Thane, 3 stars
36/56-28 Summers-4 Stars
37/56-The Boy Who Followed His Father to Auschwitz, Jeremy Doronfieds-5 stars-true story, well researched and very factually written
38/56-The Secret Daughter, Kelly Rimmer-4 1/2 stars-interesting story of forced adoptions of "unwed teenagers" in 1973.
I read The Secret Daughter and was so happy you mentioned it. The US may not have had forced adoptions like Australia had, but I did home schooling to many pregnant teens and young mothers in those years. I thought it was 4 1/2 stars too!

61/80 Chateau of Secrets by Melanie Dobson

This is a story of a family’s sacrifice for those in need and their determination to resist Nazi domination in the France they remember and love. 4.5/5

I read this book a while ago and loved it. She is a great author. I have her book Memories of Glass in my tbr pile.

10/30. Rocky Mountain Revenge by Rhonda Starnes. Two sisters are the
target of someone set on revenge.

11/30. Building a Family by Jennifer Slattery. Single aunt and uncle both want
custody of nephew and niece abandoned by their addicted parents.

12/30. Blueberry Cupcake Mystery by Naomi Miller. Mystery with a bit of
Amish mixed in. Quick novella read.

13/30. The Recipe by Candace Calvert. Hospital cafeteria worker hopes to win
a local baking contest. Discovers love and important life truths. Good
novella read.

10. The Henna Artist by Alka Joshi
easy read; enjoyed learning a bit about the background of henna, as well as the culture & customs in parts of India

Escaping from an abusive marriage, seventeen-year-old Lakshmi makes her way alone to the vibrant 1950s pink city of Jaipur. There she becomes the most highly requested henna artist—and confidante—to the wealthy women of the upper class. But trusted with the secrets of the wealthy, she can never reveal her own…

Known for her original designs and sage advice, Lakshmi must tread carefully to avoid the jealous gossips who could ruin her reputation and her livelihood. As she pursues her dream of an independent life, she is startled one day when she is confronted by her husband, who has tracked her down these many years later with a high-spirited young girl in tow—a sister Lakshmi never knew she had. Suddenly the caution that she has carefully cultivated as protection is threatened. Still she perseveres, applying her talents and lifting up those that surround her as she does.

11. Parenting the New Teen in the Age of Anxiety by Dr John Duffy
I’m actually listening on Audible but this is a great resource for anyone that has teens (or younger), or deals with them on a regular basis (teachers, grandparents, church staff, etc.). Lots of common sense advice and encouragement. Children growing up in the age of technology (it‘s all they’ve ever known) have a much different “reality” than the adults that are raising them- this helps fill in the blanks. This book has also helped me see the many unique positives of this generation.

28/25 Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner

Daphne is a plus size Instagram influencer who is contacted by her old school nemesis, Drue, who asks Daphne to be in her wedding. she agrees and things go downhill from there.

I was hoping this would be an enjoyable read like the couple of Elin Hilderbrand books I’ve read. While it started out good, I enjoyed the parts of her being an influencer because it was different, once she reunited with the former enemy I thought it tanked. She agrees to be in her wedding and then the weekend of the wedding there’s a murder. Then she and her friends solve it. I didn’t care about the characters, and ultimately didn’t care who the murderer was.

54. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. I loved it. I think it’s one of those books you either love it or hate it.

Wow, it's great to see a reading thread in full swing. I haven't been able to read all that much since March, so I don't know how you guys are doing it. I mostly re-read books, didn't really being new ones. Nonetheless, I picked up two works of non-fiction late last month, and I'm glad to be reading again.

1. Zadie Smith's Feel Free (a collection of essays) -- I'm entirely sure Smith will object to my calling this "non-fiction." She doesn't really see any distinction between fiction and non-fiction, and I agree. But it's just easier to call this NF for the purpose of this discussion. She's brilliant when she writes about dance--esp the relationship as she sees it between dance and writing. Her piece on Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Jackson, and Prince is one of my favorites.

2. James Kalat's Biological Psychology -- Was curious to see how biological psych differs from behavioral psych. The former takes a more physicalist approach and is not really a field where theories of consciousness are entertained all that much. Good read nonetheless.

Wow, it's great to see a reading thread in full swing. I haven't been able to read all that much since March, so I don't know how you guys are doing it. I mostly re-read books, didn't really being new ones. Nonetheless, I picked up two works of non-fiction late last month, and I'm glad to be reading again.

1. Zadie Smith's Feel Free (a collection of essays) -- I'm entirely sure Smith will object to my calling this "non-fiction." She doesn't really see any distinction between fiction and non-fiction, and I agree. But it's just easier to call this NF for the purpose of this discussion. She's brilliant when she writes about dance--esp the relationship as she sees it between dance and writing. Her piece on Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Jackson, and Prince is one of my favorites.

2. James Kalat's Biological Psychology -- Was curious to see how biological psych differs from behavioral psych. The former takes a more physicalist approach and is not really a field where theories of consciousness are entertained all that much. Good read nonetheless.
Welcome to the group!

Well another month ended, so time for my monthly wrap up of what I’ve read. In August I read 6 books bringing my total for the year to 38. August’s books were:

33) Spirit Run: A 6,000-Mile Marathon Through North America's Stolen Land by Noe Álvarez- Memoir. Álvarez’s memoir of running the Peace and Dignity Journey, which is a run beginning in Alaska and ending in Central America, which takes the runners through Indigenous communities. 4.25/5

34) Black Indians: A Hidden Heritage by William Loren Katz - History. A good, well researched, introduction to the connected histories of the Black and Indigenous people. 4/5

35) The Sámi People: Traditions in Transition by Veli-Pekka Lehtola - History. The Sámi are the indigenous population of northern Norway, Finland, Sweden, & Russia. A bit scholarly, the type of book that might be assigned to an Intro to class. Good and interesting though. 4/5

36) The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones - Horror. Jones’ latest work. A classic horror novel with good social commentary. 4.25/5

37) Black Indian: A Memoir by Shonda Buchanan - Memoir. Buchanan’s, who grow up as a Black woman with stories of a multi-racial heritage, exploration of who is is and what that means. 4.5/5.

38) Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse. YA Fantasy. The first book in The Sixth World series, which takes place 20 years in the future after a apocalyptic flood has covered most of Earth. 4/5

#81-83/156 - The Dark Artifices trilogy by Cassandra Clare

I think I'm done with Shadowhunters books for a little while. This trilogy certainly had its moments - my daughter described it as the "Infinity War" of its universe, with characters from throughout the rest of the books all playing a major role in the big final battle - but the story itself was a lot darker and with a lot more topical/timely themes, including scapegoating of people of other races and the ease with which leaders can use fear for personal/political gain, and that eroded its escapist value for me. Which, really, is the whole reason I occasionally read YA. So I'm taking a bit of a break before venturing into the remaining books in the universe.

#84 - Alone Together by Sherry Turkle

This is a bit older, which doesn't generally bode well for techno-social analysis, but it was still relevant enough to be meaningful, perhaps even moreso than 10 years ago when it was written because the trends that were just emerging then are more advanced. Much like The Shallows, which I read a few weeks ago, this was about the way our interactions with technology change us, but where The Shallows was about the neuroscience and behavioral science of how that happens, this one examined the question from a psychologist's perspective and spent more time engaged with the moral and philosophical dimensions of the question than the practical.

#85 - Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff

This was amazing, imaginative and well paced. The book follows a Black family living in the Jim Crow era in Illinois as they grapple with the everyday evils of segregation and racism and with a hidden family history that leads to encounters with a much more extravagant sort of evil, straight out of the classic horror and sci-fi stories of Lovecraft and others of his era. The two dimensions weave together in unexpected ways as the powerlessness rooted in discrimination provide leverage for the manipulations of the overarching villain. Each chapter is a short story that builds on those before it, which puts different characters at center stage at different times, all leading up to the climactic battle in which the main characters are both pawns in the villain's endgame and heroes of their own story.

#43/60 A Cold Trail by Robert Dugoni
The last time homicide detective Tracy Crosswhite was in Cedar Grove, it was to see her sister’s killer put behind bars. Now she’s returned for a respite and the chance to put her life back in order for herself, her attorney husband, Dan, and their new daughter. But tragic memories soon prove impossible to escape.
Dan is drawn into representing a local merchant whose business is jeopardized by the town’s revitalization. And Tracy is urged by the local PD to put her own skills to work on a new case: the brutal murder of a police officer’s wife and local reporter who was investigating a cold-case slaying of a young woman. As Tracy’s and Dan’s cases crisscross, Tracy’s trail becomes dangerous. It’s stirring up her own haunted past and a decades-old conspiracy in Cedar Grove that has erupted in murder. Getting to the truth is all that matters. But what’s Tracy willing to risk as a killer gets closer to her and threatens everyone she loves?

A little disappointed in this #7 in the Tracy Crosswhite series. I think a little too much of the courtroom/legal stuff for me. Still good tho & looking forward to the next one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter