Another “which age” question (and POLL)

which ages would be better for first visit?

• 4.5 and 7

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • 5.5 and 8

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Doesn’t really matter

Votes: 43 60.6%

• Total voters

Friedbutter

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I love the Dis podcasts but this is my first post on the boards.

We are planning our first DW visit and I’m wondering which ages would be “best” for my kids.

My oldest is a boy and my youngest a girl, if that matters. We would go in Jan or Feb.

Thanks so much for any input, I TRULY appreciate it!

I honestly don't think it matters too much. We first took our kids (just for one day) to MK when they were just under 3 and 11 months and they definitely enjoyed it. We have taken them just for one day at least 3 or 4 times after that but we didn't take them for a full week until they were 7 and 9. Partially because we wanted them to be able to ride all the rides but also that's just how it worked for us financially. My kids have enjoyed it at every age so I really think anytime you choose will be just fine.

I think the only times age matters is when it's a once in a lifetime trip OR there's an age change that results in admission change. Such as 2.5 vs 3.5. The choice there is between free and not free. Then 9 vs 10. Disney kid, vs disney adult (granted it's not a huge price difference here and probably matters more on the dining side)

You already disregarded the younger ages that usually are done for one of two reasons: the parents are Disney addicts and/or new parents or are looking at a family vacation at a lesser price where they can fill in the blanks for a long enough time that the kiddos actually believe they remember the sparkle of looking at brightly coloured characters at meals.

I chose 5.5 to 8 years because by then the average child will be able to recall their own memories and ride the vast majority of the rides offered. As well for many children the stroller paraphernalia is a thing of the past and hallelujah to the next life stage.

Either age is fine. I voted 4.5 and 7 because I wouldn't want to wait :laughing: but 5.5 and 8 is equally great if you want some time to save up. :thumbsup2

My DS's first day trip was at 1.5, but his first "big" trip was at 5.5, and he went again at 7 and at 10. He loved it at every age!

Yep I agree between those age ranges it won't matter. If you were giving yourself a few years in-between then I would pick the ages when they are the oldest just because they are more likely to remember it, they can probably last longer in the parks, etc..

Thanks for the input everyone. I was worried 8 would be too old for it to still be “magical” but I’m secretly relieved it won’t matter since that gives us an extra year to save :D

Thanks again for the warm welcome and for helping a newbie out!

I took my oldest daughter for the first time when she was 4 almost 5 and we had a great time! We only did Magic Kingdom and only for one day but she walked the whole time and did an amazing job. The 2nd time we went to Disney she was 8 and we did only Epcot and she absolutely loved it. We went again in 2018 when she was 11 almost 12 and did all the parks and stayed onsite for the first time, we are never going back to just 1 day at Disney again! It has been enjoyable at every age. Our next trip we will have a 15 year old and a 2 1/2 year old so we will see how that goes. I think a trip can be enjoyable at any age.

I voted it doesn't matter but there's one point. If you plan a trip early and something happens and things fall through, at least you wouldn't have waited so long. Compared to if you waited 2 years to go then trip get's canceled, would sting a lot more.

The only difference I can see is height, depending on how tall the younger one is, at 5.5 there may be more rides they meet the height requirement for, which would make me lean towards the older set of ages. I have short kids, though, so at a week shy of 5 my oldest was just barely 40 inches.

It really does not matter when and remember even if they do not remember you will. In 2006 I took my daughter (age 5) for our one and done. Well I am planning 2 weeks at the Poly in 2021 for our 6th trip. And you would be surprised at what they remember when young. Maria was only 3 during our 2012 trip but when planning this one she talked about how she remembered Beaches & Cream and the Kitchen Sink from that trip and she wanted the same on her birthday trip.

Our first trip was when the boys were 15 months. They loved it.

Then we went when they were 2 and a half. They loved it.

Then we went when they were 4 and a half. They loved. it.

We went this past fall when they were 6 and a half. Best trip ever. They could ride almost everything, and are still asking about when we can go back.

I voted it doesn’t really matter.

Our kids were:

1st visit: 2 and 4
2nd: 3 and 5
3rd: 6 and 8
4th: 9 and 11
5th: 10 and 12
6th: 11 and 14
7th: 12 and 14

Every age is different and they are all great. The first two were special because they were so into the characters and thought everything was real. Now they don’t care about that kind of stuff and just want to do rides all day over and over which is just fine with me! It’s actually nice not dealing with character lines and autographs! Lol

I’ve always heard the argument that people want to take their kids when they can remember it all, but don’t forget YOU are making memories too and there is something really special about when they are really young and are so into the magic of it all. I have the most wonderful picture of my daughter when she is 4 watching the parade with pure joy and magic on her face. Does she remember it? No but I do and I will always treasure that experience and that trip!

Like I tell people, you just have to keep going back!! We honestly thought we were going to be a one and done but we just fell in love and you can see how much we’ve been back! We’ve even gone out to Disneyland.

So to sum it up - any age is good! You’ll all enjoy it no matter what!

Attachments

• F26DD784-36CE-4EFD-8F69-3F94CFDB19CE.jpeg
    F26DD784-36CE-4EFD-8F69-3F94CFDB19CE.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter