Another “Which Resort” thread...Poly or BC

KrazeeK120

DIS Veteran
This is the first time I’ve really questioned my resort decision and I keep going back and forth.

I’m booked in October in a standard room at the Polynesian. However, I’m concerned about the state of the monorail. I’ve seen (so far, unsubstantiated) rumors about the monorail closing, or having diminished service, etc. I know there are times in the past when certain tracks have run reduced hours to do maintenance, etc.

The other resort I’m considering is Beach Club. The ability to walk to 2 parks is 100% guaranteed, barring some apocalyptic event. I’d save about $225 if I switched. My concern with BC is the lack of a true quick service restaurant. We have a toddler and plan to eat dinner at the resort a couple of nights. Grabbing food “on the go” is difficult for us right now. He really needs a table where he can sit and eat.

My 3rd option is Wilderness Lodge. We just stayed there in May, though, and were looking to try something new.

My travel party is me, my husband, and our son (almost 3 at the time of travel). We will be there 5 nights and will have a car. We plan to do 1.5 days MK and 1 day at each of the other parks. We don’t do nighttime shows right now while our son is so young.

We make sacrifices in daily life in order to go on nicer vacations. This is not a drop in the bucket to us. Any advice is appreciated!

This is the first time I’ve really questioned my resort decision and I keep going back and forth.

I’m booked in October in a standard room at the Polynesian. However, I’m concerned about the state of the monorail. I’ve seen (so far, unsubstantiated) rumors about the monorail closing, or having diminished service, etc. I know there are times in the past when certain tracks have run reduced hours to do maintenance, etc.

The other resort I’m considering is Beach Club. The ability to walk to 2 parks is 100% guaranteed, barring some apocalyptic event. I’d save about $225 if I switched. My concern with BC is the lack of a true quick service restaurant. We have a toddler and plan to eat dinner at the resort a couple of nights. Grabbing food “on the go” is difficult for us right now. He really needs a table where he can sit and eat.

My 3rd option is Wilderness Lodge. We just stayed there in May, though, and were looking to try something new.

My travel party is me, my husband, and our son (almost 3 at the time of travel). We will be there 5 nights and will have a car. We plan to do 1.5 days MK and 1 day at each of the other parks. We don’t do nighttime shows right now while our son is so young.

We make sacrifices in daily life in order to go on nicer vacations. This is not a drop in the bucket to us. Any advice is appreciated!

My choice would be the Poly. We've stayed at both and while the BC is a nice resort, the Poly is our favorite (we also prefer the MK area over the Epcot area). We are also a family that needs good CS and the limited CS options at the BC just don't cut it for us. In addition, we find more of a variety of TS options around the monorail/WL than we do at the Epcot resorts. Good luck!

I vote poly. We did poly in 16 and BC in 17 and felt there was no comparison. Even my kids, 10 and 13, felt poly was way better. BC is a nice resort but poly wss more convenient to me, even with walking to epcot and HS. I just prefer the Mk area more.

I love the Poly. We stayed there in August and had ZERO issues with the monorail, but that's always a crap shoot. I do love being in the Epcot resorts and being able to walk to 2 parks. We prefer YC over BC for a few different reasons, but when we stay in the Epcot area, we tend to book CL to have food available to us to make up for the lack of quick service. Is that a possibility for you?

I love the Poly. We stayed there in August and had ZERO issues with the monorail, but that's always a crap shoot. I do love being in the Epcot resorts and being able to walk to 2 parks. We prefer YC over BC for a few different reasons, but when we stay in the Epcot area, we tend to book CL to have food available to us to make up for the lack of quick service. Is that a possibility for you?

We can’t afford CL at the Epcot area resorts, at least not if we want to go this year. We did CL a WL last year, but with a 25% discount. It was a little more than I wanted to pay still, but we made it work.

I can't speak personally, but I asked a similar question recently and got a surprising amount of people who mentioned they love BC/YC, and some folks who mentioned that their rooms at the Poly in the past had been quite dirty. Have any of the Poly fans in this thread had issues with room cleanliness? (I'm watching this thread closely since I'm debating the two or a split stay.)

For me, Poly is the crown jewel but it's a bit more expensive. I would say that the primary consideration is where you're going to be spending your time. Any significant time in MK, and it's almost impossible to beat a view of the castle/lagoon and being able to take the launch over to the park. I've yet to stay at BC (coming soon), but we just came back from our first stay at YC, which is right next door. For us, the place is beautiful, but more of what I'd expect to find off property. Of course, if your plans include more time at Epcot than MK, it might make sense to stay in the Epcot area.

I'll go the other way. BC is our favorite resort. I keep putting Poly out there but we can't seem to make the commitment to stay there. We've toured Poly and have seen a room there. It is a beautiful resort. We visit all the parks but really, really appreciate being able to walk to EP or HS. I don't get the "love" for the monorail to EP. Just seems so long to me. It's nice to do once a visit but that's all for us. We get hoppers/AP so we walk into EP when we are done elsewhere and usually find something we want to eat there. There are plenty of food options so close when you factor in YC, BW and Swan/Dolphin. It doesn't take long to walk to any of the other resorts. Anyway, I'd say if MK is your main park do Poly, if the parks are about equal, maybe try BC for something new.

I can't speak personally, but I asked a similar question recently and got a surprising amount of people who mentioned they love BC/YC, and some folks who mentioned that their rooms at the Poly in the past had been quite dirty. Have any of the Poly fans in this thread had issues with room cleanliness? (I'm watching this thread closely since I'm debating the two or a split stay.)
I've stayed at the Poly twice. The most recent stay was at the end of August. I've never had an issue with room cleanliness.

I'll go the other way. BC is our favorite resort. I keep putting Poly out there but we can't seem to make the commitment to stay there. We've toured Poly and have seen a room there. It is a beautiful resort. We visit all the parks but really, really appreciate being able to walk to EP or HS. I don't get the "love" for the monorail to EP. Just seems so long to me. It's nice to do once a visit but that's all for us. We get hoppers/AP so we walk into EP when we are done elsewhere and usually find something we want to eat there. There are plenty of food options so close when you factor in YC, BW and Swan/Dolphin. It doesn't take long to walk to any of the other resorts. Anyway, I'd say if MK is your main park do Poly, if the parks are about equal, maybe try BC for something new.

We’ve actually never stayed at either one, so both would be new to us! We don’t have APs or hoppers, so we can’t just pop in to Epcot.

I’ve stayed at YC and BW and haven’t seen a “regular” quick service at either of those resorts. Is there someplace akin to Kona Cafe, Contemporary Cafe, or Roaring Fork at Swan & Dolphin?

As far as getting to Epcot, I know you can walk directly to TTC from Poly, which is attractive to us. And not having to fold up the stroller is nice as well. Whether driving or the monorail is faster probably depends on how long we end up waiting for the monorail.

I thought I would love the BC, but I didn't. We had a brand new refurbished room and an amazing location when we stayed there. I wanted to love it, but I just didn't. SAB was way too packed everyday. It was hard to find a chair and it was difficult to supervise our children. The lack of quick service options was a pain, but I did love walking to Epcot every morning for breakfast. If you don't have a park hopper, I wouldn't do the BC.

Im in love with the Poly though. I love the size of the resort. There are plenty of room of amazing standard room locations that are very close to transportation and the Great Ceremonial House. We often took the boat to the MK and it was an easy walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail.

iv stayed at both..For me Beach Club was lovely & Poly was a dump!!(sorry Poly fans)..I would rather stay anywhere else than Poly
We were so excited to stay at the Poly but left after one day..The staff at Poly were amazing and so helpful moving us but we was shocked by the ugly damp room and disgusting smells coming from the QS counters in Capt Cooks..Beach Club was like Heaven!!

We’ve actually never stayed at either one, so both would be new to us! We don’t have APs or hoppers, so we can’t just pop in to Epcot.

I’ve stayed at YC and BW and haven’t seen a “regular” quick service at either of those resorts. Is there someplace akin to Kona Cafe, Contemporary Cafe, or Roaring Fork at Swan & Dolphin?

As far as getting to Epcot, I know you can walk directly to TTC from Poly, which is attractive to us. And not having to fold up the stroller is nice as well. Whether driving or the monorail is faster probably depends on how long we end up waiting for the monorail.

BC's quick service is nothing to write home about. It's serviceable but I wouldn't want to eat there for all my meals. Since you've stayed at YC and BW you've seen what the offerings are there. Ale & Compass at YC has just opened and we haven't eaten there so can't comment. We did go over to the Swan/Dolphin to eat one time. It's not far and there are a number of choices of places to eat. I prefer everything under one roof as a rule which is why I think I have a hard time with trying the Poly. We usually have at least 1-2 nights that there is really heavy rain when we stay. It's much nicer to get to the hotel and go from bus stop to the lobby to your room without having to walk more thru the rain! And we do have the advantage of no strollers any more (kids are adults now) so while I don't really appreciate the monorail to 2 parks, I can see the appeal for others!

We did a split with Poly and BC and enjoyed the Poly but we LOVED the BC. This next trip we are staying at BWV because i just love the Epcot area resorts.

The MK resorts are so busy and i don’t consider the monorail a perk when they constantly break down or have limited service.

You can’t beat depending on your feet for two parks. That beats any bus, monorail or boat.

The Poly pool sucked. It’s small. There’s not enough seats. My kids we’re bored with it. But you can grab a done whip and eat at the pool. And you can see the castle in the distance !

The BC pool is amazing. We never had an issue finding seats. My kids played in it for hours. And you can grab ice cream at beaches and cream! They also gave a waitress that comes around and takes orders.

We have stayed at both and really love both (although Poly is now my favorite!). When often decide based on where we want to spend our time. There are times when we want to have easy access to Epcot at night for dinner, snacks, or Illuminations, When this is the case we pick BC or BWI. When that is not as important and we will do a little at each park, Poly is the way we go. So if you won't be out in the evenings, I would stick with Poly. BC does have a spot to get quick service, but there is not a lot of seating. Hurricane Hanna's also has quick service but they would sometimes be closed when we wanted something. If I wanted a true QS for the evenings, I would choose Poly, plus you can hop over the GF to their QS if you get tired of Captain Cooks.

I vote split stay, as that is what we tend to do. I agree with a PP who said that they recommend BC if you have a park hopper. It was lovely to just walk over and get food from Epcot. The swimming pool at BC is better than Poly, as far as kids go. Our 2018 trip, I plan to stay at the Port and Poly. Our first big trip ever, I got a little split stay crazy and split it between Poly, AKL, BC, and AOA. Ha ha

I vote split stay, as that is what we tend to do. I agree with a PP who said that they recommend BC if you have a park hopper. It was lovely to just walk over and get food from Epcot. The swimming pool at BC is better than Poly, as far as kids go. Our 2018 trip, I plan to stay at the Port and Poly. Our first big trip ever, I got a little split stay crazy and split it between Poly, AKL, BC, and AOA. Ha ha

Well, it’s only 5 nights. And I have a toddler. And no hopper. I don’t really want the inconvenience of packing up all of our stuff after 2 nights. Maybe if we were on a longer trip or had an older child, it would work.

I thought I would love the BC, but I didn't. We had a brand new refurbished room and an amazing location when we stayed there. I wanted to love it, but I just didn't. SAB was way too packed everyday. It was hard to find a chair and it was difficult to supervise our children. The lack of quick service options was a pain, but I did love walking to Epcot every morning for breakfast. If you don't have a park hopper, I wouldn't do the BC.

Im in love with the Poly though. I love the size of the resort. There are plenty of room of amazing standard room locations that are very close to transportation and the Great Ceremonial House. We often took the boat to the MK and it was an easy walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail.
This!! We found BC so ridiculously busy, especially the pool area. The Poly is a vacation all by itself IMHO. If you were saving more I would possibly consider moving. But $200 savings isn’t enough for me to go to BC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter