Another carnival theme??

PS I am a huge miniature fan so I truly hope that I feel like a toy when I enter ...
maybe this is why that rendering bothers me, it says nothing about toy sized toys.

Not sure about nothing - those tinker toys look big enough to me.

My question is about the A-something-something ride -
Board-wide, AS2 or Aliens is being used for Alien Swirling Saucer. No one knows what The Claw will do. Perhaps just drop and then raise again?

For Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree in DCA, the non-stop swirling and squishing provides all the fun. :)

Count me in the not overly impressed by the theming category; it reminds me of DinoLand or Mickey's Toontown Fair. That said I think they are great for the target audience, the kids really don't know or don't care. Thankfully neither of my kids cared much for either "land" so we didn't spend much time in them. But if it keeps the kids corralled in those "lands" then it leaves more room for everyone else. :)

I would recommend looking up the back story of Chester and Hester for Dinorama. Might change your mind a little about why there's a carnival in Dinoland.

I love the Chester and Hester backstory and I wish it were more told in a more obvious way somehow. I get it when I'm there because I read up on it, but my husband thinks I'm a loon when I try to explain it to him. I'm not even a big fan of the whole Dino area - I hate DINOSAUR, not a fan of PrimEval Whirl, and TriCeraTop Spin is just another Dumbo, but I do like the story.

I was getting ready to post the same thing. Heaven forbid Disney does something for kids that gets in the way of what an adult is looking for.

Isn’t almost all of the place for kids? And for adults? Wasn’t that the whole idea when the place was built? I mean honestly, which part do you find doesn’t appeal to kids?

I look forward to seeing it but I agree if it’s like the carnival in AK, it will be disappointing. Disney can do better than that.

Toy Story at WDW has always been called Toy Story Midway Mania, right down to the signage.

And as a stand alone attraction that works great, since the arcade nature of the ride works great with a midway.

I do get they are trying to downplay that now.

But it is now supposed to be in Andy's Backyard as a toy ...

We are supposed to be shrunk to toy size to play with Andy's toys.

I think the inside of the ride is fine, as there are toys scattered among the queues,

but it would be nice if the outside matched the theme of the rest of the land,

rather than have a carnival feel continue. I wish it were a toy.

PS I am a huge miniature fan so I truly hope that I feel like a toy when I enter ...
maybe this is why that rendering bothers me, it says nothing about toy sized toys.
I believe it was originally called Midway Mania at WDW, but it has been just Toy Story Mania for a while.

I believe it was originally called Midway Mania at WDW, but it has been just Toy Story Mania for a while.

Yes.
On the park maps.
On the website.

TSMania-.jpeg

The holdover is on the front of the attraction.

toy-story-mania-outside.jpg

Last edited:
Are we supposed to be shrunken-down toys or shrunken-down humans?

I'm not a fan of carnival-themed stuff.

It's good they took Midway out of the name, I think that adds to the confusion. No one really knows what a Midway is

Not to sound maudlin, but taking out "Midway" from the name is like taking another piece of Walt Disney from the parks even though he had nothing to do with it. I'm quite sure given his midwest upbringing there were carnivals around that time, which I hope was not lost on the folks who originally conceived TSMM. Isn't there a carnival is Marceline still to this day (Toby's)?

The whole area in general looks pretty lackluster theme wise. Has anyone seen anything remotely impressive, or make you in awe? Kids will love it - it’s an area for them.

I’m more upset that The Voyage of the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the beast are still there with no updates... that’s insane.

Not to sound maudlin, but taking out "Midway" from the name is like taking another piece of Walt Disney from the parks even though he had nothing to do with it. I'm quite sure given his midwest upbringing there were carnivals around that time, which I hope was not lost on the folks who originally conceived TSMM. Isn't there a carnival is Marceline still to this day (Toby's)?
But that area of DHS was reimagined to resemble the Pixar Studios’ campus in CA. So more of a Steve Jobs influence, if anything.

DCA’s was part of the “midway” section of Paradise Pier - to reflect the midway attractions found on CA’s beach boardwalks.

HUH?

I've never heard the word Midway used ever other than TSMM, or I guess I should say TSM now

I think it must be a midwest/west thing

Maybe that's why they took it out, there are so many visitors from the East Coast to WDW who probably had no idea what it meant. We call these things Carnivals

I'm always amazed at how people on the internet have the ability to know a land or ride isn't going to be good before it even opens! :p
I'm always amazed at how people on the internet have the ability to know a land or ride isn't going to be good before it even opens! :p

or that people with no real knowledge know that the budget was cut and that Disney found some off the rack rides (what ever that means) and then forced a story for the land to cover it.

I’m more upset that The Voyage of the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the beast are still there with no updates... that’s insane.

I agree with the Little Mermaid totally needing a refresh. It’s sad. Haven’t seen Beauty and the Beast yet tho...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!