Another Dining Plan Question

closetmickey

DIS Veteran
I read that you may use the value of your voucher towards you meal if you order a la carte. How does this work? We have the Plus dining plan and would like to eat at Captain Jacks. If we would like to order only a main course a la carte, may we just order that one course and apply our set Plus menu value to that?

Also, may a teenager "downgrade" and order from the children menu? May they order the Premium child's menu since it's value is still less than the adults Plus adult set menu?

Thank you!!

I don't know if teenagers (or adults for that matter) are allowed to order of the children menu, but yes, if you order a la carte, you'll get the bill, they'll subtract the value of the voucher and you pay the remaining (if there is any). You can't get multiple quick serve menu's with one voucher if the value is more then the voucher (know that wasn't your question, but for future reference). I guess it would also work like you asked for the children menu if that is allowed
Thank you! And is the value of the voucher determined by the cost of the set menu offered for that plan?

I’m confused- sorry!! So let’s say the cost of the 3 course set menu for the Plus plan is 40 euro but the a la Carte item we would like to order is 42 euro. Would we just be charged 2 euro or??

As for the child’s menu question, we will be given an adult’s voucher for her as my daughter is in her teens. Wouldn’t that voucher cover the price of the set children’s menu if she is indeed allowed to order it instead?

Thanks again!!

You've got it right - the monetary value of one Plus voucher is around 24 euros (or was in January at least). If you have 30 euros worth of food you'd then have 6 to pay.
Each adult can use one voucher per meal.
I've got no direct experience with the children's menu thing, but I imagine it will depend on the cast member!

No, the price of the course set menu has nothing the do with the value of the voucher, it's always best value to order the set menu (for your voucher type, you can also order cheaper ones without paying) because no matter what, that will be free. But the value of the voucher is the amount you paid for said voucher. Because breakfast was included in the hotel stay, it was easier before, the value of the lunch/dinner voucher was the cost to add one night of half board to your booking. But because breakfast isn't included in the hotel stay, but it is in the half board, now the lunch/dinner vouchers are less then that price (because the price for half board went up to include the breakfast, the vouchers probably don't have less value). So if it's 30 euro's to book one night of half board, the voucher might be worth 25 euro's. Even if the set menu is worth 40 euro's, you'd still have to pay 17 euro's for the 42 euro a la carte item.
I don't know the value of the vouchers, the 25 euro is just a random number, it's printed on the voucher (I also don't know if it's always the same, because I heard rumors it wasn't). We don't book half board, currently we have annual passes and the discount on that works better for us. We went without an annual pass (in between passes), I looked at which restaurants we wanted to eat (mostly buffets, so that factored in to it) and calculated the price and it would be (a little) more the get the vouchers (we were staying at club level, so didn't need the breakfast).

For the childrens menu, as with the story above, if the adult plus menu is 40 euro's and the children's premium is 38, if the value of the voucher is less, you'd still have to pay
Thank you so much for the detailed response! Our half board was free, included in the 25% off room/ticket offer. Like you, I never purchase the meal plans so it’s all new to me. Sounds like I will just have to wait until each meal to see how it will work. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for the detailed response! Knowing the value is different from the menu price is very helpful. Our half board was free, included in the 25% off room/ticket offer. Like you, I never purchase the meal plans so it’s all new to me. Sounds like I will just have to wait until each meal to see how it will work. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!