Another discount/giveaway chaotic scene - this time Cheesecake Factory

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
Apparently the chain is giving away 40,000 free slices of cheesecake on its 40th anniversary. But only if ordered through DoorDash. Sounds like it went crazy with dozens of delivery drivers showing up, having difficulties with parking/traffic, and even punches thrown at one location in the area around DC. Also one arrest, but apparently not the people fighting, who left before police arrived.

https://www.arlnow.com/2018/12/05/d...ecake-factory-amid-free-cheesecake-promotion/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...088874-f8c1-11e8-8339-9aeda8decca3_story.html

Apparently the chain is giving away 40,000 free slices of cheesecake on its 40th anniversary. But only if ordered through DoorDash. Sounds like it went crazy with dozens of delivery drivers showing up, having difficulties with parking/traffic, and even punches thrown at one location in the area around DC. Also one arrest, but apparently not the people fighting, who left before police arrived.

https://www.arlnow.com/2018/12/05/d...ecake-factory-amid-free-cheesecake-promotion/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/man-arrested-at-a-virginia-restaurant-during-a-cheesecake-giveaway/2018/12/05/9c0By 88874-f8c1-11e8-8339-9aeda8decca3_story.html
Hmmmm…...a bit over the top for one slice.

I can make a decent cheesecake for about $10 worth of ingredients (under $15 or so if I make my own cherry compote to top it with)... And as much as I enjoy Cheesecake Factory, it is not worth the rigamarole to save $6.

I can make a decent cheesecake for about $10 worth of ingredients (under $15 or so if I make my own cherry compote to top it with)... And as much as I enjoy Cheesecake Factory, it is not worth the rigamarole to save $6.

The whole idea was that it was supposed to be more convenient because someone else delivered the free goodies to the customer. But the big problem was with how all the simultaneous deliveries were handled......poorly.

Wait a minute. Wait just a minute. I need something clarified.

People actually eat Cheesecake factory?

Cheesecake is the one thing that they do OK. I remember an $18 box of cheesecake they had at Costco, which had 8 slices that were all the size of the ones they sell at their restaurants. And there's nothing wrong with previously frozen cheesecake, which is also what they serve at Cheesecake Factory. I remember ordering a slice there and the takeout server asked if I wanted a particular flavor since it wasn't fully thawed.

As for the food, my in-laws wanted to treat us to dinner somewhere and we thought they might enjoy it. They ate it, but complained that everything was too salty.

The really odd thing about this promotion is that they seemed to have it figured out. Unlike the Build-A-Bear fiasco, they had a limited number, it was only available online or through the DoorDash app, and customers wouldn't be crowding their retail locations in order to take advantage of it. It was also limited to 40,000, although I heard it was expanded to 60,000.

https://twitter.com/DoorDash/status/1070434212790988800

Only this time it was the drivers who crowded locations. Some ended up double parking in downtown locations with mostly street parking. There are photos of delivery drivers waiting, where they supposedly only got $3 to deliver each order.

DtrntE9U0AA9MRR.jpg

Wait a minute. Wait just a minute. I need something clarified.

People actually eat Cheesecake factory?

They are overpriced IMO, and I always leave sad. The food is fine. Not great, but ok. The cheesecake is lovely. But their portions are so big that even just eating half the entree I am too full for cheesecake. What is the point of going if you're not getting cheesecake?!

They are overpriced IMO, and I always leave sad. The food is fine. Not great, but ok. The cheesecake is lovely. But their portions are so big that even just eating half the entree I am too full for cheesecake. What is the point of going if you're not getting cheesecake?!

That's when you share a meal and cheesecake with yoru spouse

Why are you leaving sad? You're eating dinner out and getting cheesecake :confused3 They can be expensive, but they are supposed to be a touch on the nicer side of chain dining with their expansive menu and bread service. The large portions I'm sure contribute to the price too, but that allows you to either share or take it home for lunch the next day - thus getting two meals in one!

Right, this is how I feel about it. It's a bit pricey but the portions are HUGE, and the dinner food is just okay. To top it off, who has room for their signature dish, cheesecake? The cheesecake is in fact very good, but I'd have to get it to go. Honestly, the only thing I would ever do, and rarely, is go pickup a couple pieces of cheesecake to go and skip the meal.

Last edited:
They offer a great skinny menu, with nice choices and smaller portions.
Never leave their without a slice of cheesecake to go.......

And so salty!

I don't go there much but I was there at the Inner Harbor over the summer and had the Tuna Poke, I thought it was pretty good.

Hmm interesting.

We actually got a gift card promotion for Cheesecake factory. Now granted you had to buy a gift card (I believe a $25 one) but then you got 2 free slices of cheesecake with that. My husband ordered 2 of those gift cards-1 to give to his sister for Christmas and the other for ourselves to keep. He then kept all 4 free cheesecake vouchers for us to use (guess he felt like keeping them all lol).

This was done all online too. The cheesecake vouchers were e-mailed and the gift cards were sent in the mail (we're waiting on those to come).

We don't often go to Cheesecake factor but they are always busy (both locations we have).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter