Another Disney Lawsuit

Well if they hurt me, they are impeding my movement.....it should be treated like an auto accident. If you leave the scene, it's a hit-and-run.

The question is, how do you physically prevent someone from leaving the scene? Is taking the key out = theft? How about strollers? I am not disagreeing that it could be treated like a traditional vehicle accident, but it might lead to confrontational situations that escalate.

Not sure if true, but I read that Disney refused to release security footage to the injured woman. Another rumor is it was a Disney rented scooter and again they refused to assist in identification. It’s sad that someone can severely injure another person and just keep on going and not face consequences. And the injured person is stuck with medical bills. Some health insurance will not pay if they feel there is another liable party to get reimbursed from. All I’m saying is there may be more details that will come out in court, if it gets that far.

The question is, how do you physically prevent someone from leaving the scene? Is taking the key out = theft? How about strollers? I am not disagreeing that it could be treated like a traditional vehicle accident, but it might lead to confrontational situations that escalate.

Well, I think injury trumps theft....I'm not stealing anything, just holding it hostage. Also, get a photo of the ID from the back of the ECV and a photo of the person driving. I'm going to say that 99% of these are rented, and all of the rented ones have an ID noted on them. If you get that information, it's then easy to track down who rented it, so if they make a getaway, you have that information. If it was truly an accident, which most are, then the offending person needs to step up and take responsibility.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion: If someone is injured to the extent of needing surgery and having medical bills regarding that, then it's reasonable for them to sue. She's only asking for about 15k from what I read, which is realistically about the cost of her medical bills.

Obviously this is a problem, but no solution will be implemented until Disney has to. People getting hurt should be enough to trigger some evaluation of the situation, but if it takes lawsuits...

Last edited:

I'm sure Disney has plenty of lawyers, PLENTY, who are paid to advise them on a whole host of things. Probably the most talked about, liability as it pertains to all things Disney. If in fact Disney could be held accountable for the actions of a wild EVC driver we would have already seen remedies to this problem. It is unfortunate that so many people, NOT ALL, drive these things in a reckless fashion with complete disregard to the people around them. BAD NEWS it is only going to get worse. I read there are rental companies that are now advertising for perfectly healthy individuals that are just too lazy to walk. I read there ads basically state: Why walk when you can drive! so there is a good chance there will be more of those damn, yes I hate them too, EVC's to contend with.

the sad thing is they let anyone rent/ride a scooter, last year we watched a family of four, normal size kids, large parents, all had scooters, the kids got off and ran to Star Tours, the parents walked and obviously had no troubles getting around on their own 2 feet,

Ugh. The person who drove the scooter should be at fault, not Disney. They should have a disclaimer when you purchase tickets that say they are not at fault if an individual causes bodily injury with a stroller or scooter., lol.

I've been hit more often by a stroller in the parks than a scooter. It isnt disneys fault it's the fault of those who are inconsiderate of others and dont care if they run into people or not.
How about all the people that walk into a stroller and then blame the person pushing it for them not paying attention or walking straight.

I got yelled at badly at rope drop in Epcot where the path massively narrows in front of Innoventions because the other people walked into my stroller as I was going completely straight and they were merging in. People cut off and run into strollers all the time because they aren't paying attention, it isn't always the strollers fault.

I have accidently bumped a couple people in 30+ days at Disney with a stroller, but I've always said sorry and it was never more than a small bump. Usually from trying to go around something and not noticing the person going straight next to me.

Last edited:
People do not pay attention. They're focused on their vacation, "the moment" or their group.
The last trip we went on, people pushed past us at rope drop knocking into our stroller on both sides, knocked my then 5 year old over right after HEA and didn't say a word as we scrambled to pick her up before a stampede and I got rammed in the ankle by an electric scooter (guess I wasn't moving fast enough). None of these people apologize. It infuriates me.

I have accidentally bumped into people (either just walking or with a stroller). I always apologize because my mama taught me to. I'll tell you though, I saw RED when that adult man knocked my 5 year old completely over and just kept going.

It is unfortunate that so many people, NOT ALL, drive these things in a reckless fashion with complete disregard to the people around them. BAD NEWS it is only going to get worse. I read there are rental companies that are now advertising for perfectly healthy individuals that are just too lazy to walk. I read there ads basically state: Why walk when you can drive! so there is a good chance there will be more of those damn, yes I hate them too, EVC's to contend with.
The undulated Disney is going to get a handle on this is to forbid outside rentals and all the rental for use in the parks done by them. If they do that they could also require that anybody renting 1 demonstrate their ability to control one. That alone would certainly and laminate some of the abuse. I realize they can't ask people what disability they have to qualify for renting 1 but anything would certainly help.

the sad thing is they let anyone rent/ride a scooter, last year we watched a family of four, normal size kids, large parents, all had scooters, the kids got off and ran to Star Tours, the parents walked and obviously had no troubles getting around on their own 2 feet,
Those kids have probably handed any and everything they want and are just completely spoiled. Their parents are probably brought up the same exact way and that's why this is happening.

How about all the people that walk into a stroller and then blame the person pushing it for them not paying attention or walking straight.

I got yelled at badly at rope drop in Epcot where the path massively narrows in front of Innoventions because the other people walked into my stroller as I was going completely straight and they were merging in. People cut off and run into strollers all the time because they aren't paying attention, it isn't always the strollers fault.

I have accidently bumped a couple people in 30+ days at Disney with a stroller, but I've always said sorry and it was never more than a small bump. Usually from trying to go around something and not noticing the person going straight next to me.
You bring up an interesting point. It would be interesting to know if the person suing was looking down at their phone or a map, or simply not paying attention when they were struck by the scooter. Or even if they walked into the scooter. it does go both ways--both parties have to pay attention. The scooter driver may be at fault, as they were driving, but if they do have footage that shows the walker was not paying attention, wouldn't that have an impact on the lawsuit?

You bring up an interesting point. It would be interesting to know if the person suing was looking down at their phone or a map, or simply not paying attention when they were struck by the scooter. Or even if they walked into the scooter. it does go both ways--both parties have to pay attention. The scooter driver may be at fault, as they were driving, but if they do have footage that shows the walker was not paying attention, wouldn't that have an impact on the lawsuit?
My wife was purposefully run into by a woman in a scooter. The woman zoomed right in front of my wife then *****ed her out.

Last edited:
After taking my first trip with someone who needed a mobility device I can say with certainty that there needs to be driving lessons for said mobility devices (driving through crowds, taking tight corners, and getting on/off a bus) as well as paying attention lessons, not stopping in the middle of the walkway lessons, and waiting your turn lessons for everyone not on mobility devices.

Since none of these things are going to happen I'm not really sure what a feasible solution for preventing this sort of accident in the future will be. Though I fully agree something does need to happen.

It certainly looked to me during our recent trip that prettt much everyone was looking at their phone, whether they were stationery or walking. It’s a hazard for sure with the crowds and narrow walkways in some areas.

Yea and I am guilty too. If it wasn’t refreshing, it was checking timing of a FP or ADR. Because of MDE unreliability, half the time I was bumped off or incorrect info was displayed. Not as much time would be required to be glued to your phone if MDE wouldn’t crash so often.
If only the MBs came with a display screen!

Hmm.....really wondering what lawyer thought this was a good idea, I mean let's look at the basic premise:
"The lawsuit alleges that Disney was negligent because there are no designated scooter lanes to separate riders from visitors on foot and scooter drivers don’t get safety instructions."

Separate scooter lanes would most likely be a violation of ADA, as they would not be providing equal access.

Not sure if true, but I read that Disney refused to release security footage to the injured woman. Another rumor is it was a Disney rented scooter and again they refused to assist in identification. It’s sad that someone can severely injure another person and just keep on going and not face consequences. And the injured person is stuck with medical bills. Some health insurance will not pay if they feel there is another liable party to get reimbursed from. All I’m saying is there may be more details that will come out in court, if it gets that far.

IF this is true, then Disney could be on the hook for not releasing the footage, but it isn't their responsibility to change the flow of traffic.

Unpopular opinion: If someone is injured to the extent of needing surgery and having medical bills regarding that, then it's reasonable for them to sue. She's only asking for about 15k from what I read, which is realistically about the cost of her medical bills.

Obviously this is a problem, but no solution will be implemented until Disney has to. People getting hurt should be enough to trigger some evaluation of the situation, but if it takes lawsuits...
The problem is there really isn't much Disney can do, except for security to remind everyone to be courteous.

Again, they legally can't restrict, aside from saying only those 18 and older. As for that family, I feel sorry for them dealing with four scooters in the park, but what you think you saw may not be what you actually saw. For example, the parents may have stamina issues, so yes getting around on their own two feet may work for a while, but then they need the assistance. The kids could have crowd issues that they can handle for a certain amount of time, but need a space they can retreat to, something that often would be handled with a medical stroller; however, if both parents need the ECVs, a stroller isn't an option, so thus the ECVs could have been deemed the best option. Please, don't for a second think you know what someone does and doesn't need just by looking at them for what amounts to a small fraction of their day and remember for many people they may not need an ECV all day or even every day, but they may not know when they are going to be needed, so they have them in case it happens.

After taking my first trip with someone who needed a mobility device I can say with certainty that there needs to be driving lessons for said mobility devices (driving through crowds, taking tight corners, and getting on/off a bus) as well as paying attention lessons, not stopping in the middle of the walkway lessons, and waiting your turn lessons for everyone not on mobility devices.

Since none of these things are going to happen I'm not really sure what a feasible solution for preventing this sort of accident in the future will be. Though I fully agree something does need to happen.
Really, it is up to the individual to have made sure they know how to safely operate an ECV in a crowd, but I would say 90% of the time the issues have nothing to do with the ECV driver, when I have needed one, I have been pulled off to the side of the road, completely stopped and someone runs into me and cusses me out, even though I am out of the way and not moving in any fashion.

Additionally, people seem to be under the impression that mobility devices stop on a dime, and while the ECVs that Disney rents now do, one of the reasons I would never recommend one of them, most don't because stopping on a dime tends to injure the person riding them, many of whom already have preexisting conditions that would be made even worse. It would be far better for people who are fully mobile to see people in mobility devices (manual or powered) and move out of their way instead of expecting the person in the mobility device to move, this is even more true with manual devices where they may be exerting a lot of effort to power them up a hill, etc. Now you want them to stop at the last second or swerve around someone who decided to jump out in front of them, this isn't always possible and people on both sides need to be more aware of their surroundings, but the bulk of the responsibility does need to go to the people not using mobility devices as it is easier for them to move.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter