Another DL injury........

Diva of Dragons

<font color=brown>Tiger here!!<br><font color=lime
First, Hi everyone! I haven't really contributed much to the DL board here, although I do frequent the WDW, DCL & Comm. boards :) I live in So. CA & am a DL AP holder........Anyway, the local news just reported that a 15 year old got his (I think they were male) foot caught on the Alice in Wonderland ride (outside, on the leaves) and sustained several fractures!!! OK, just my opinion but, puhleeeeeease! 15 years old! Keep your foot in the caterpiller at all times...is that sooo hard? I hope he's O.K. but I also hope he doesn't sue!....Thanks for letting me vent...now for my next post.........GREAT NEWS!..

<marquee direction="right" align="left" behavior="alternate"><font size=3><font color=#FF0066><font face="Comic Sans MS"><bold>LISA</marquee></font></font></font></bold>
<marquee direction="left" align="right" behavior="alternate"><font size=3><font color=#6600CC><font face="Comic Sans MS"><bold>"Diva of Dragons"</marquee></font></font></font></bold>
<marquee>
ariel11.gif
</marquee>

I am sorry that that boy got hurt but I agree with you GIVE ME A BREAK!!! if you put your foot outside of the ride, not matter what ride it is, you are asking to get hurt. Just as is the case with the roger rabbit incident. That little boy feel out because he was not sitting down NOT because of anything that the ride did. (at least this is how I view it from what I heard)
I think the majority of injuries at a amuzement park are rider caused. And I think people have been allowed to sue and WIN too many times.

Going to Disneyland Dec
10- 15. Disneyworld Dec

This situation reminds me alot of the McDonald's lawsuits where they were sued by customers who did stupid things, such as burning themselves with pickles or lukewarm coffee.

The McNugget in the shape of a chicken head was interesting though...

I take my job very seriously. I start everyday imagining that my child or husband would be riding. I check every nut, bolt, sensor...to the best of my ability. Still, there are design and engineering flaws that can happen with amusement rides that are not apparent until an accident happens. Even though guests may participate in "unsafe" behavior, there are safety features that can be added (motion sensors, physical barricades, etc) that are often left out because of "cost factors". I also know that operators are prone to human error as much as anyone else.

I am particularly distressed when people are injured on rides. My heart breaks. In the case of the 4 year old, I even cried. You don't walk into a place like Disneyland expecting your 4 year old child to leave practically brain dead. Still you can't completely blame Disney, the parent, or especially not a pre-schooler for such an accident. If your car skidded out of control in a snow storm (where you were driving cautiously) and caused the same injury...you would be expected to make some compensation, but not necessarily be a negligent person.

It takes our voices to our government to increase (or in some states ESTABLISH) and strictly enforce laws regulating amusement ride safety. It takes the conscience of the people who design, build, maintain, and promote these rides. The rider (especially children...of all ages..) is often in such a state of wonder and excitement that safety is the LAST thing on their mind. Parks go through great lengths to make you forget you are in the REAL world..the one where safety is so important. I guess my summary is that guests are "supposed" to be careful and attentive, but us folks behind the scenes know they are not. There are things that can be done to make rides "guest proof"....but are not because of cost. Thanks for the opportunity for me to vent. Write your state representative. Thanks.

Penchris - Thank you for your advice. Having experienced an accident at Disneyland, I know first hand that children do not think about safety while in the Happiest Place on Earth. I see parents let their children get away with things at amusement parks that I am sure they would not allow them to do at home. I give my kids a "lecture" before we enter a ride. I am sure other parents in line think I am paranoid. Let them think what they like, a trip to the emergency room is not the way to end a day at Disneyland. ;)

tink08.gif

About that McDonald's coffee case: We actually talked about that case in one of my paralegal classes. There is a common misconception regarding the actual facts of the case.

The burner at that particular McDonald's had been malfunctioning all day causing the temperature of the coffee to greatly exceed company standards. The manager was aware of the problem, but continued to serve the coffee instead of taking the unit offline.

Of course, you never heard about the malfunctioning burner in the news. I'm sure we have all spilled stuff on ourselves at some point.

And its my fault, not somebody else's. Fresh coffee is expected to be very hot. Would you gulp down fresh coffee without first testing it to see how hot it was? Of course not. The coffee may have been hotter than normal, but no way it was boiling hot. The temperature begins dropping the moment the coffee is poured. If the manager had shut down the coffee, this person probably would have sued because they fell asleep at the wheel!

Raidermatt

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!